Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Nov 2010 at 10:42 AM
Default Default replacement objects
I'm looking for information about how to make default replacement objects - like HL's fixed photobooth only with both mesh and textures replaced.

Haven't been able to find anything apart from a tutorial on how to make default replacement recolors, so any pointers in the direction of tutorials, hints, tips or other useful information is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Moune's Neighbourhood
If you need a cool place for your sims to chill out.
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 19th Nov 2010 at 12:19 PM
This might be a little more simplistic than you're looking for in an answer, but default replacements really are just a matter of TGI. That is, Type, Group, Instance. If you have a resource that has the same TGI as a resource from the game, it will be a default replacement. For things like default replacement textures, all you have to do is have a .package with a DDS image inside, and change the TGI of the DDS resource to that of the texture you want to default-replace. Doesn't have to be the same size or anything - all the game cares about is the TGI.

Generally, you can default-replace any resource this way, by changing its TGI. However, there may be some exceptions - the fix I just uploaded for routing, for example, cannot be done by TGI because there are resources with the same TGI in multiple .world files. For objects that are all in the Fullbuilds and whatnot, I'd imagine this is less of an issue though, and you can just use TGI without problems.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th Nov 2010 at 7:22 PM
Thanks HP, that may be exactly the information I need.

If I understand correctly I should just make sure that all my custom ressources have the same Group and Instance numbers as the default ones to make them automatically replace them. That shouldn't be too hard to figure out. From looking at HL's photobooth I'm also guessing that I only need exactly those ressources in the package that I want to replace, and that all the others can be deleted.

I'll see if I can make it work. If I can't I'll come back and cry for help.

Moune's Neighbourhood
If you need a cool place for your sims to chill out.
Field Researcher
#4 Old 12th Apr 2011 at 3:22 AM
So, I am a super newbie mesher but I also want to know how to do this. I've figured out (I think) what is meant by type, group, instance.... but I can't figure out how to change it. If anyone could give me an explanation of how to do this or point me to a tutorial that contains the appropriate information that would be really wonderful. I'm suffering from information overload here and just don't know where to start looking (or what to search) for the answer.
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#5 Old 25th Apr 2011 at 8:22 AM
There's a "Resource" tab at the bottom of the SimPE window. That lets you edit the TGI. If you don't have the tab, you can get it back by going to Window > Resource Information.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 27th Apr 2011 at 3:54 AM
Wow. I feel dumb, or maybe just blind. Thanks.