Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Oct 2020 at 7:12 AM
Default could you plays without mods?
For me, the game isn't unplayable without mods but I got bored very quickly. I normally don't install mods until the game is not longer adding new content but a few months ago I finally cracked. And wow, it's made a huge difference. I expected it since I play sims 3 with mods, but I am always surprised at how much of a difference mods can make. And I am very happy that people far far smarter then me can figure out how to make mods and spend there unpaid time and effort to do so.

What mods do you guys like the most?

I only play with UI extension, SOL, and Wickedwhims for now.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 14th Oct 2020 at 1:17 PM
Short answer: No

Long answer: I play MCCC, Wicked Whims, A bunch of LittleMsSam's stuff, four Sacrificial mods, Tmex's TOOL and others, UI extension mod, the Control Any Sim mod, and various other major and minor mods. Like you, can't play without them -- otherwise I'd give up playing The Sims completely. Like you said, it's too boring and too much tedious play without mods.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 14th Oct 2020 at 2:50 PM
To be honest, without mods I wouldn't even consider installing the game again, not to mention getting new packs for it. And I just spent almost €140 to the packs in the current Origin sale, just because I loved playing with Wicked Whims Similar mod to Sims 3 was a total mess that was not worth to mess with, so, I was little reluctant to install WW, but when I finally did, I was surprised how well that mod was done. Now, I have Sims 3 for serious Sims play and Sims 4 for wicked Sims play
I also have MCCC, two LittleMsSam's mods and a lot of CC, mostly clothing.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 14th Oct 2020 at 4:51 PM
For the other games? They wouldn't be as fun but I could do it. For TS4? Hell no! There's a reason my mods folder is twice as big as my ones for TS2 and TS3 put together. Modders have saved this game's life.

There are so many mods I need in order to fix EA's mistakes; like the NAP bug fixes, the ROM bug fixes, and conrollable pets. Then there are some smaller mods for quality of life improvement like faster crafting and shorter cooldown times. Then we got the big guns! LittleMissSam's mods. Kawaii Stacie's SOL and Explore mods. Whicked Whims. Basemental Drugs. Sacrifical's mods. There are just...so many mods I have that are essential to me enjoying this game. It's...actually kinda depressing when you think about it lol

And don't even get me started on all the CC I have.

The Receptacle still lives!
Instructor
#5 Old 14th Oct 2020 at 6:37 PM
I never play with mods and won't even try until the game is finished.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 14th Oct 2020 at 7:23 PM
I only have 2 simlogical mods in my game. Have CC but just those as far as mods go. Have more mods for 3, especially some IMO essential ones such as Nraas. Had many for 2.
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 14th Oct 2020 at 8:55 PM
I haven't played any Sims game without mods since early in my Sims 1 years. I think the answer is "no."

ETA: My Sims 4 game is light on mods, heavy on CC. I add more mods as I get more play time under my belt, with any game.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 14th Oct 2020 at 9:02 PM
Short answer: Yes (well, almost. Not playing without my pet mod, because those insane beasts don't make sense otherwise).

Long answer: ...but not because the game doesn't need mods to function.
Scholar
#9 Old 15th Oct 2020 at 12:25 AM
Welp, part of the game to me is seeing what people make, so I maybe could but I won't.
Scholar
#10 Old 15th Oct 2020 at 12:56 AM
Sims 1 - Yes, only ever needed GrowUp and when Making magic released that wasn't strictly needed anymore
Sims 2 - Not sure. Played without mods until 2013, ever since then mods added so many QoL features that I'm reluctant to return to vanilla
Sims 3 - Can't play that even with mods (I tried), it's just not my kind of game
Sims 4 - 90% sure I couldn't. McTuner, McDresser and NAPfixes are essential
Instructor
#11 Old 15th Oct 2020 at 9:15 AM
I've played all games without mods and still had fun. Hardest was the sims 4 though. I feel like it's the only one I really need mods in. I mean as far as the sims 3 I do feel like I need Nraas mod to correct things EA messed up like story progression and routing issues, but I played without mods for years before I even discovered that mod and had a ton of fun. The sims 2 I currently play modless I did however hoard with CC back in the day lol
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 15th Oct 2020 at 11:13 PM
I probably could... but I refuse to. I wouldn't play for long before I got irritated at the stupidity and bored because it's boring without all the mods and cc.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 17th Oct 2020 at 4:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by dikosay
Short answer: No

Long answer: I play MCCC, Wicked Whims, A bunch of LittleMsSam's stuff, four Sacrificial mods, Tmex's TOOL and others, UI extension mod, the Control Any Sim mod, and various other major and minor mods. Like you, can't play without them -- otherwise I'd give up playing The Sims completely. Like you said, it's too boring and too much tedious play without mods.

I've always been intrigued by sacrificial mods but have never delved in. what ones do you use?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 17th Oct 2020 at 4:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by peno
To be honest, without mods I wouldn't even consider installing the game again, not to mention getting new packs for it. And I just spent almost €140 to the packs in the current Origin sale, just because I loved playing with Wicked Whims Similar mod to Sims 3 was a total mess that was not worth to mess with, so, I was little reluctant to install WW, but when I finally did, I was surprised how well that mod was done. Now, I have Sims 3 for serious Sims play and Sims 4 for wicked Sims play
I also have MCCC, two LittleMsSam's mods and a lot of CC, mostly clothing.

I do really like sims 3 but only ever got twallan's mods and lots of cc.

Yes, I was also surprised at how well ww works too, and and just amazed really at how in depth mods are for sims 4. HAHA, my sims 4 gen 7 is just debauchery at this point as I explore the wicked whims mods hahahaha. Heaven forbid anyone see my screenshot folder. I own all the packs too.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 17th Oct 2020 at 4:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lil bag2
For the other games? They wouldn't be as fun but I could do it. For TS4? Hell no! There's a reason my mods folder is twice as big as my ones for TS2 and TS3 put together. Modders have saved this game's life.

There are so many mods I need in order to fix EA's mistakes; like the NAP bug fixes, the ROM bug fixes, and conrollable pets. Then there are some smaller mods for quality of life improvement like faster crafting and shorter cooldown times. Then we got the big guns! LittleMissSam's mods. Kawaii Stacie's SOL and Explore mods. Whicked Whims. Basemental Drugs. Sacrifical's mods. There are just...so many mods I have that are essential to me enjoying this game. It's...actually kinda depressing when you think about it lol

And don't even get me started on all the CC I have.

It is absolutely sad that we need mods to make the game playable. I plan to check out basemental soon.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 17th Oct 2020 at 4:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Hamishmc
I never play with mods and won't even try until the game is finished.

Yes I normally wait until the game is done but I was waiting forever and I honestly feel as though I should've never waited, it's sooooo much better, wow.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#17 Old 17th Oct 2020 at 4:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Short answer: Yes (well, almost. Not playing without my pet mod, because those insane beasts don't make sense otherwise).

Long answer: ...but not because the game doesn't need mods to function.

I can relate. I got sims 4 only after they added toddlers because I felt like I couldn't play without toddlers. And after that it was a very boring game and I only played here and there. I felt like even mods could not fix it. But now I am dead wrong haha.
I had to bookmark everything so I can update if needed.
One Minute Ninja'd
#18 Old 17th Oct 2020 at 2:26 PM
No.

Then again, it's true for pretty much all of the Sims existence (.not so much TS1, actually can't remember exactly what from that far back). It was a necessity in TS3 to have any sort of story progression to work, and plenty for fine tuning and beating bugs to death. I've also always been a cc junkie, and that is even more so in TS4 as I'm not fan of the art style they chose to go with, especially hair and clothing. Right now I haven't even updated in months as one of my fave modders retired, and I can't figure out how to play without some of them.

Finally, I'll admit it, WW.
Field Researcher
#19 Old 18th Oct 2020 at 4:43 PM
My one-word answer is "Never."

My somewhat longer answer is that I find the game completely unplayable without MCCC at the very least. I have some other CC and mods besides, though I've prided myself since TS2 on running my game as lean as possible. And yes, I've dabbled in WW, but for me it causes more problems than it solves. Same with Basemental's otherwise brilliant mods, though I often use Basemental Alcohol as I'm an adult in my early 50s and do not wish to be "protected" from the reality of adult libations.

Mad Poster
#20 Old 18th Oct 2020 at 7:31 PM
I actually haven't had any problems with WW. Aside from townies, very occasionally, breaking out into full blown orgies whenever my sims visit a community lot. But, honestly, that shit cracks me up every time so I have no intention of fixing it lol

Same with Basemental. The only issues I encounter are things I'm able to fix by tweaking the mod's settings. As long as those mods stay up to date (and WW is constantly updated, regardless of whether or not a patch is coming) they're not a problem. Now the TS3 equivalent to WW. That was a mess.

Field Researcher
#21 Old 19th Oct 2020 at 2:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ryuusei86
My one-word answer is "Never."

My somewhat longer answer is that I find the game completely unplayable without MCCC at the very least. I have some other CC and mods besides, though I've prided myself since TS2 on running my game as lean as possible. And yes, I've dabbled in WW, but for me it causes more problems than it solves. Same with Basemental's otherwise brilliant mods, though I often use Basemental Alcohol as I'm an adult in my early 50s and do not wish to be "protected" from the reality of adult libations.

The thing that turned me off about Basemental, was that I had a favorite sim (well, still is) who hardly ever drank. She one day visited a nightclub I was playing using another sim and sat at the bar. I didn't pay her much attention, but later I saw her outside the club vomiting. That was the first thing that caught me off guard. I knew she wasn't pregnant, so I switched control to her, and a notification popped up saying that she was an alcoholic.

Blew my mind, because she was the last sim I wanted to become that. And Basemental does not provide detox or AA.
Top Secret Researcher
#22 Old 19th Oct 2020 at 7:24 PM
Default Without mods?!
But why? Why would you do that? Mods are just fantastic ideas that the folks of EA aren't creative enough to think of! Good mods belong in Sims 4!
Screenshots

Sims are better than us.
Scholar
#23 Old 19th Oct 2020 at 10:59 PM
I think even if the games were perfect out of the box I'd like to play with mods because they're interesting.
Mad Poster
#24 Old 19th Oct 2020 at 11:12 PM
Yeah TS2 is still the closest thing to flawless that we've gotten out of this franchise and I still have loads of mods for it to spice things up. But that's the thing. The mods are there to enhance the already good gameplay. Whereas in TS4 the mods are what create most of the good gameplay.

Top Secret Researcher
#25 Old 20th Oct 2020 at 3:41 PM
TS2 is the gold standard Sims game as far as I am concerned, yet I ran that with the most mods. (CC - that's a wash. I am a CC packrat, and always have beeen.)
Page 1 of 2