Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Jun 2021 at 1:33 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Game wont recognize graphics card even after editing
Here's what's in my device.config
=== Graphics device info ===
Number: 0
Name (driver): NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti
Name (database): NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti [Found: 0, Matched: 0]
Vendor: NVIDIA
Chipset: Vendor: 10de, Device: 2182, Board: 375e1462, Chipset: 00a1

and here is what I put in my graphicsCards.sgr (last line my card)
"NVIDIA" 0x10b4 0x12d2 0x10de
card 0x2206 "GeForce RTX 3080"
card 0x2484 "GeForce RTX 3070"
card 0x2187 "GeForce GTX 1650 Super"
card 0x1f91 "GeForce GTX 1650"
card 0x2192 "GeForce GTX 1650 Ti"
card 0x21c4 "GeForce GTX 1660 Super"
card 0x2182 "GeForce GTX 1660 Ti"

Everything SEEMS to be in place, but I still get found 0 matched 0. I havent even touched my graphicsRules.sgr, because I figure it's pointless until I can get the game to see the graphicsCard.sgr edit. I can't see what I did wrong. I even made sure it saved with .sgr instead of txt. If anyone sees my error please let me know.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 26th Jun 2021 at 5:37 AM
Did you edit the grapicrules.sgr? https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/...p?topic=26753.0
Scholar
Original Poster
#4 Old 26th Jun 2021 at 12:15 PM
I'm not modifying graphicsRules.sgr until I can get the game to find my card [so it reads "found 1 matched 0" ] There's no point in touching the rules until the game finds the card.

I didn't follow Carl's guide. I followed this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTb7UnZE_lU&t=451s This worked for me on my last two computers and this one im using now. (I uninstalled the game and now I can't get it to work)

I tried the nitromon's advice and nothing is changing the device.config. Nothing changes.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 26th Jun 2021 at 5:53 PM
If the game is fully patched, the ones in the base game folder should be edited (The Sims 3\Game\Bin).
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#6 Old 26th Jun 2021 at 8:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mate54
If the game is fully patched, the ones in the base game folder should be edited (The Sims 3\Game\Bin).

OMG I was in Sims 2 mode, what a wally! All week I've been posting Sims 3 images in Sims 2 threads, now this- I need a holiday! Yes of course, the basegame files! Just to check, in case the wrong ones are being edited.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#8 Old 26th Jun 2021 at 11:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
It's ok, we all get our senior moment.

I've been having one since about 1993.
Scholar
Original Poster
#9 Old 27th Jun 2021 at 12:16 AM
I edited the correct .sgr file. the one in the correct folder. I thought maybe I was missing a space or something but no.

My graphics card is: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti
my device number is: 2182

I have typed in : card 0x2182 "GeForce GTX 1660 Ti"

Its saved as .sgr and not text. It's the one in the /game/bin folder not some subfolder.
Scholar
Original Poster
#11 Old 27th Jun 2021 at 3:14 AM
for the *THIRD* time I have NOT edited graphicsrules yet, as there is no point in editing it if it can't find the card. FIRST I want the game to find the card and show me "found 1 matched 0" THEN I will edit the graphics rules. Right now, the game will not even FIND my card so there is no point in trying to get it to match on the graphicsrules.

ANYWAY I have no idea why the game can't get "found 1 matched 0" like I want it to. I have tried it the other way too. with putting my device number on the other card. It didn't work either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTb7UnZE_lU I'll post this again so you can see what I'm doing. I've done it this way two other times and it worked perfectly. FIRST you edit the graphicscards.sgr and then just as a routine thing to be sure, you run the game and get it to "found 1 matched 0" THEN you work on the graphicsrules. If the game can't find the card, there is no point in matching it with the graphics rules.

Sorry to keep saying this but I feel like nobody is reading what I'm writing.
Test Subject
#12 Old 27th Jun 2021 at 4:05 AM
I download the attached files here
https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/...p?topic=26753.0
and replace them. These files have the updated info for newer graphics cards.
Scholar
Original Poster
#14 Old 27th Jun 2021 at 4:15 PM
I've downloaded the file from Carl's. It has my card with a different device number. I have tried it unedited AND changing my device number to match what's on my device.config, Iit changes nothing.

If I'm editing the wrong file, then which one is it? I'm editing "graphiccards.srg". That's what it's supposed to be. When you edit that alone, you should get "found 1 matched 0"

I've edited this twice before on other machines and it worked perfectly. It isn't now. If this were my very first time trying this, I'd understand that maybe I didn't know what was going on. But I edit the file I have edited in the past. I am checking and rechecking to see that I have the right number in the right spot. Nothing. The only difference is that I'm using the D: drive instead of the C:. And maybe that makes a difference. I don't know. But I KNOW I'm in the right file. unless there is some secret invisible file with the same name that I'm supposed to access.

I have put in the graphicsRules.srg just so people would stop asking. And just as I predicted, it changes nothing. I'm starting to wonder if maybe something is wrong with my device.config and it's not updating.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 27th Jun 2021 at 9:49 PM Last edited by igazor : 28th Jun 2021 at 5:32 AM.
Can we see a screenshot of the folder containing these files in Detail View that also shows the full file path to them so we can put to rest the allegations that you are editing the wrong files? Also, I assume that "srg" is a typo and not the file extension you really used, as that would cause the game to have heartburn on startup (edit -- or now that I think about it, just cause it to be ignored). The correct extension is "sgr."
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#17 Old 1st Jul 2021 at 6:26 PM
@kewpie did you get this fixed?
Instructor
#18 Old 1st Jul 2021 at 8:49 PM
I didn't have to edit the graphiccard.sgr because there is an updated download able one on Carl's, I just had to plop in that one and edit the graphicrules.sgr
Scholar
Original Poster
#19 Old 5th Jul 2021 at 11:59 PM
Sorry I’ve been out of town. When I get back I’ll check again.