Replies: 8 (Who?), Viewed: 175 times.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Jul 2021 at 6:01 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures
Default DeviceConfig completely empty/won't recognise graphics card
Okay, so I was following guides to make TS3 recognise my graphics card (NVIDIA GTX 1060). After following the guides, I loaded my game and it was fine, but I was experiencing screen tearing, so I was fiddling with settings more. I then checked my files and saw that none of the changes I had made had stuck. So I did it once more, but upon loading my game, my DeviceConfig file is completely empty, all my settings in-game have gone to their lowest, and won't save at all. I'm at my wits end. I uninstalled TS3 and am currently installing it again in the hopes it'll help somewhat.

What am I doing wrong? Can someone please help me?
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 1st Jul 2021 at 6:24 PM
An empty DeviceConfig suggests that the GraphicsRules file is not working properly. Even the smallest typo can break the file. I'm assuming that the map view doesn't look right either?
I suggest you start over with a fresh GraphicsRules file and be very careful with what you edit.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 1st Jul 2021 at 6:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mate54
An empty DeviceConfig suggests that the GraphicsRules file is not working properly. Even the smallest typo can break the file. I'm assuming that the map view doesn't look right either?
I suggest you start over with a fresh GraphicsRules file and be very careful with what you edit.


My map view was fine. I've downloaded new GraphicsRules and GraphicsCards files to see if this fixes it.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 1st Jul 2021 at 6:51 PM
Okay, so I've fixed that issue. My last issue is that I'm struggling with screen tearing. Limiting my FPS causes screen tear, whereas when I don't limit it, my screen is fine. What can I do? Without FPS limited, my game hits like 200 FPS
Mad Poster
#5 Old 1st Jul 2021 at 7:42 PM
limiting FPS doesn't cause tear, but it can disrupt your refresh rate.

turn on vsync and triple buffering in your Nvidia. "force" it on.

also double check your monitor and GPU refresh rate is the same especially if you are using a dual monitor. for example, previously my GPU is 60HZ, but my extended monitor was 59HZ.

Sanity is overrated.

Nitromon is a type of Pokemon encountered in the Pokemon Nitrome Version series.

There. Mystery solved.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 1st Jul 2021 at 7:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitromon
limiting FPS doesn't cause tear, but it can disrupt your refresh rate.

turn on vsync and triple buffering in your Nvidia. "force" it on.

also double check your monitor and GPU refresh rate is the same especially if you are using a dual monitor. for example, previously my GPU is 60HZ, but my extended monitor was 59HZ.


VSYNC and triple buffering is on. In Advanced Display settings it says my refresh rate is 60.045Hz. I'm on a gaming laptop, so I'm unsure if that affects anything? I've also found that in those settings it says my display is connected to Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630, but my graphics card is NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1060. I'm sorry if this information is useless, I really don't know what I'm talking about.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 1st Jul 2021 at 8:30 PM
The only way I have been able to fix screen tearing is by switching the game to windowed mode (even with Vsync enabled and Max Frame Rate at 60 FPS). I use a program called Borderless Gaming to force it to Windowed Fullscreen so I can still get the fullscreen experience without screen tearing. Maybe that could work for you as well?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 1st Jul 2021 at 8:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mate54
The only way I have been able to fix screen tearing is by switching the game to windowed mode (even with Vsync enabled and Max Frame Rate at 60 FPS). I use a program called Borderless Gaming to force it to Windowed Fullscreen so I can still get the fullscreen experience without screen tearing. Maybe that could work for you as well?


You're a lifesaver! This works, thank you so much!
Mad Poster
#9 Old 1st Jul 2021 at 9:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloubird
I've also found that in those settings it says my display is connected to Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630, but my graphics card is NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1060. I'm sorry if this information is useless, I really don't know what I'm talking about.


Laptops run what is call Optimus. Your Nvidia GPU is filtered through your UHD Graphics 630, as this is your main GPU and your desktop. There might be some issues there, when I said make sure the refresh rate match, I was actually referring to the Intel GPU and not the Nvidia. So that might be where the issue is. You need to turn on the vsync in Intel, I have it permanently on for any app.

Playing in windowed mode will definitely fix the tearing since you are using your desktop setting, but of course this also means reduced performance compare to full screen mode. I personally don't care, I play in windowed mode too.

The only other possible issue is core parking. So you can try unparking the cores.

https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=571180

Sanity is overrated.

Nitromon is a type of Pokemon encountered in the Pokemon Nitrome Version series.

There. Mystery solved.
Back to top