Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Jun 2021 at 2:41 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Can't reduce size of game save
Hi all! I have a curious issue with reducing my Sims 3 save game. My save game NHD file currently stands around 115 MB. I have tried a few things in order to reduce that file size (Kuree's Save Cleaner v.1.1, Delete SNAP files in NHD file, delete objects in Sim inventory and Family Inventory, delete objects I placed in lots). I also experimented with Master Controller/reset everything. All these things are not working to reduce my save size. I also have memories disabled. The funny thing is that deleting objects from the Family Inventory and objects I placed in lots DID help once (yesterday). I deleted those new saves, loaded the old large one again, played, deleted those same objects and the file size this time didn't go down. What could be the issue? I would like to feel secure by reducing my save. Thank you.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#3 Old 27th Jun 2021 at 7:47 AM
Did you turn off memories? They are a huge source of bloat.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 28th Jun 2021 at 1:59 AM Last edited by history12 : 28th Jun 2021 at 2:19 AM.
Quote:
Did you turn off memories? They are a huge source of bloat.

Yes, memories are off.

Quote:
my save file is 260MB, your game is fine. just make sure you have NRAAS errortrap.

Ok, but I still would like to know how to drop the size of my save. I had lots of bloated save problems in the past and keeping it down to a minimal is the key. I also do have Errortrap installed, as well as Overwatch. I have Overwatch on the default settings. By reviewing the nraas site it seems that default is good, right?

I don't know if I was looking at another save or not but I found that deleting just a few objects doesn't really decrease the save size much. I tried going into NRAAS MC --> town options --> object stats --> global --> and deleting thousands of books and that decreased the size by only 5 MBs. Correct me if I'm wrong, does deleting just a few objects in a lot decrease the save file size by several MBs? Is it supposed to? I started this save not long ago and is still new. Only almost 7 sim days past since I started. It started at like 45 MBs, now it's 115. I don't know what I did that made the size go up. I haven't really been adding things to my world.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 28th Jun 2021 at 2:23 PM
I'm using Kuree to drop the save and it only goes down to 111 MB. From what I understand Kuree only deletes SNAP files. I'm not using the later version because it has bugs, and really I don't want to delete precious items like photos and family paintings from my game. I'm not taking many photos anyway.

I'm not using NRaas_ErrorTrap_Tuning_DisableDereferencing.

I've recently switched between families in rapid succession using nraas, could that be it? I also have loads and loads of mods, some of which I installed after starting this new save. Few of them are tuning mods. I learned before that tuning files can increase a save size. I can give you their names when I can.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 29th Jun 2021 at 4:29 AM
I did some experimenting tonight. At the end of my experimenting I came to the conclusion that it's not a mod issue (at least I don't think it is). I removed all the recent mods, loaded the game, saved the game, and no save size drop. I also played until the next Overwatch session around 2 AM hoping that would clear things up, saved, and still no size drop. As far as Errortrap goes I don't know. There doesn't seem to be any major errors as far as I know. It's kind of hard deciphering those logs. They don't talk about mod issues, only very few item issues. Maybe I did something in the game, something small that greatly increased the size. When the save was brand new it was around 45 MB, then there was a period it was around 75. After a while I checked again and now it's 115.

One important thing I think I should mention is that this is not a brand brand new game. All the people were imported from an old save using NRaas Porter. Some of the lots were imported from the library, saved from the old save. Could these things have anything to do with it? Also I'm still wondering if deleting just a few items from a lot that decreased the size to around 85 MB really happened, or I looked at the size of another save. Is it normal for the size dropping that much after deleting a few items? or I'm experimenting some kind of bug that prevents the size from dropping that much.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 29th Jun 2021 at 4:54 AM Last edited by history12 : 29th Jun 2021 at 5:11 AM.
There are three families I'm focusing on. Two families are related to each other, in all totaling 8 sims, two pets and one dead sim. One of the families owns a plumbot, the other used to but sold it off and it was dropped from the family during this recent save. There are four generations in these two families, from children to Great-Grandparents. The third family only consists of two people, one dead sim= two generations. Of course there are also all the people in town too. I have Nraas Story Progression enabled so there are multiple generations in them too. All these generations and people are the same from the old save, nobody added.

But maybe more were added without my knowledge? Maybe I should check.

There are not a lot of generations in town. For every family there are 4 or less.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 30th Jun 2021 at 12:27 AM
All sims including animals, the dead, etc. is 230. I actually still have the old save and I did a count in there as well. It's basically not much different, with a population of 231. It's practically the same as the start of the save except sims aged up, homeless is gone, service sims decreased by a few, etc. There appears to be one new household though. The town I'm playing is Bridgeport.

I traveled once during the 7 days, to Oasis Landing. The foreign sims were not added to my world as tourists, so the friendships were renewed. I used Master Controller to specify the old relationships though.