Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Jul 2021 at 5:29 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default How to find out what custom content is missing?
Hey so i finally got a better computer and decided to reinstall the sims 3, since it's (in my opinion) the most customizable most alive feeling world in any game.

But.... as it turns out my old EA folder was corrupted, and all my mods are gone. I had made a backup, but that was several years before.
I had literally thousands of mods installed, probably hundreds since the backup alone.
I still have the lastest saves which i spent thousands of hours on.
Unfortunately when loading the game, unlike other moddable games, it doesn't tell you what is missing, just that some custom content was not found.
And there is nothing blinking purple, so it's most likely a script or some clothing, or something else not readily apparent at first glance.

Is there any way to find out what exactly is missing? Even just the object/script names, or the filenames where the game would look for the CC would help a lot in tracking down what's missing.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 17th Jul 2021 at 12:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
That's not an opinion, it is a statement of fact.
Unfortunately no, at least none that I know of. The objects/clothes/makeup/etc... Sims' engine basically replace them with objects of the same category in the game. So if you have a CC table and it is missing, the game simply replace it with an existing table. Mods... on the other hand, even if you get a script error, there is no telling what is the name of the mod which you originally have.

Isn't there something in the script error? Or something in the savefile?
I mean the game has to know from SOMEwhere which filename it is looking for in the mods folder, or which object instance, if all the mods are merged at loading.
I am absolutely prepared to wade through lots of code and whatnot to find this out.
But I'm more curious on how your mods folder got corrupted. That is highly unlikely unless you have them merged in a CC Magic packages.

My whole HDD got corrupted, and recovery could bring back only a few things.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 17th Jul 2021 at 2:11 AM
As far as I can tell if there's an error in the game and it is in the script it says something like, "object not found" or "a null value is found where an object is expected" etc... but it doesn't tell you specifically a file name.
There might be, but unfortunately, the game recognizes mods based on instance ID and not file name. This is why you can rename any mod you download into something else and it would still work even after you have loaded it once and saved it in the game.
Really sorry to hear about your HDD collapse, kind of a reminder I should backup my stuff on separate HDD. The only thing you can really do now is play the game and have those things replaced. Then as you play, you may remember certain CCs you miss a lot and then you can look for them, post them on WCIF.

Hm.
Well thank you anyway!