Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Jan 2021 at 5:21 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default S2/4 mods saving as TS3 mods
I wasn't sure where else to put this question. I own TS 2, 3, and 4, I've had 3 a bit longer. Recently, I decided to add some mods and CC to 2 and 4. I've noticed that most of my downloads, despite making sure I was in the correct game's section, are saving as sims 3 package files. Have I missed something? File extension is just .package.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 12th Jan 2021 at 5:46 PM
TS2/3/4 files all use a package format, and the computer doesn't quite see the difference since they all get the same file extension (like .jpg, .png, .txt, etc.) which in this case is ".package". This means the icon for the files will be whichever your computer associates with this format.

The files will work fine in their proper games, they're not ruined in any way by the icon change, and you can carry on using them in your games as if nothing has happened.

You can fix them, but unfortunately you can only choose one of the games to associate them with, so if you do so, go for the one you're most likely to do edits for (it's more practical that way). SimPE, S3PE or S4PE can be used, possibly a few other programs (but I know it works with those three).

Right-click one of the files, choose "open in", choose app/program to open with (you miht have to search for it), and remember to tick "always use this app/program to open this type of files".

---

For me, all these files have the SimPE icon, because I've associated the files with that program. It means if I double-click them (even TS3/TS4 files) they'll try to open in SimPE. I do of course get errors if it's the wrong type of package file, because SimPE can't open TS3/TS4 files. This is more practical for me, and I'm not bothered, because most of the time I edit TS2 files. I also think the icon looks neutral enough to seem S3/S4PE related.