Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
#5801 Old 9th Nov 2020 at 1:00 PM
I make my playables fix it if they're adults/elders, but my YAs only do skill-building activities if they roll skill/academic wants, just to make uni a little more challenging. So if they want to write their term paper and need a mechanical point, they fix the toilet. If it's all party/friends wants, then they call the repairman. And then have a bath when she arrives. XD
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#5802 Old 9th Nov 2020 at 3:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sushigal007
Found something new to annoy me today! When you hire a repairman to come and fix the broken shower and clogged toilet, then they show up just as one of the household decide to have a bath, do nothing, declare that everything's fixed and leave, charging you for the visit.

Yes! That used to happen regularly to me, however I didn't know it was because a sim was in the shower/tub. I thought he just came, took the money, and then left After I discovered what was really going on, I'd keep sims out of the bathroom until the repairman did his thing.

The Gardener does the same thing if they can't access your plants. They'll complain for hours, say that it's gotten late and take your money without having done anything. This happens in the Smith house; I don't want to change how the garden looks, but the Gardener can't do anything

When a game is predictable, it's boring.
That goes for any medium that isn't life.
That's why The Sims 2 is my favourite sims game.
It has elements of unpredictability and everything feels more involved.
The Sims 4 is another story altogether...
Lab Assistant
#5803 Old 9th Nov 2020 at 6:13 PM
Children love to nuke their energy jumping on beds, if I look away for a second they're usually down half of their energy bar almost right after waking up since they decide to turn a bed into a trampoline
Forum Resident
#5804 Old 9th Nov 2020 at 8:02 PM
Yeah, that annoys me too, hence why I installed a mod to disable the autonomy of it. My issue with it though, would be that they'd overheat and get themselves taken away.

Mad Poster
#5805 Old 9th Nov 2020 at 8:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CrystalFlame360
I don't want to change how the garden looks, but the Gardener can't do anything

I use inaccessible gardening mods for this reason. Gardens that are totally accessible are super boring, and I still want my Sims to get to garden, or sink money into a gardener if they won't do it themselves, so that mod is the perfect fix for me. They'll complain it can't be reached, stomp, and then do it anyway. There's also a mod that keeps your garden in perfect state, for those that prefer that.

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Mad Poster
#5806 Old 11th Nov 2020 at 6:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by gummilutt
There's also a mod that keeps your garden in perfect state, for those that prefer that.

TwoJeffs' original "Perfect Plants" mod is here - https://simfileshare.net/folder/98998/

For those who have Mansion & Garden Stuff or the Ultimate Collection, Midgethetree made "Perfect Plants If (No) Gardening Tools", which uses M&G's gardening tools deco object as a trigger. There are two versions of this mod:
1. Only lots with the object have perfect plants
2. Only lots without the object have perfect plants (I use this one, so that dorms, apartments, and community lots don't need gardening.)
https://midgethetree.tumblr.com/pos...ims-already-can
Mad Poster
#5807 Old 24th Nov 2020 at 1:08 AM
Just finished building a Motel on a beach vacation spot. Was trying it out in my test hood. What I find irritating is a married couple has to be on a date/group outing in order to be seated at the same table. That's just stupid.
Lab Assistant
#5808 Old 24th Nov 2020 at 2:16 PM
Chance cards. Hobby and Bon Voyage ones in particular, the few times I ever press something that isn't ignore is when they're always 90% negative outcomes and losing hobby enthusiam or seeing bees just gets old.

And then there's the work chance cards. Just wish they were a little more "random" than losing a job for most of them. Since otherwise I always just press ignore. Always end up reading a guide on which ones don't have firing/skill loss as a consuqence because I feel that 15% of losing a job was never really fun or good drama.
Forum Resident
#5809 Old 24th Nov 2020 at 3:15 PM
I'm honestly fine with the job chance cards; I like the element of risk and surprise they give. Personally, I think they allow for sims to be challenged to get on top of the career ladder, because I'm of the opinion that if everyone got to the top of their career, it would be boring. Not everyone is successful. For a player who likes to make stories too, I like the plot twists they provide, for example, Tank Grunt getting kicked out of the military has thrown him off. I like that plot twist.

As for hobby chance cards, I don't really care for them. If I get the right answer 'cool,' if I get the wrong answer 'whatever, it's just hobby enthusiastic, nothing drastic.'

Vacation chance cards annoy me, because the answers seem to be fixed, so you can't choose what you think a sim would do based on their personality, because you know you're going to get punished for it.

Mad Poster
#5810 Old 24th Nov 2020 at 5:01 PM Last edited by Annaminna : 24th Nov 2020 at 5:12 PM.
Hobby enthusiasm cards can fire your sim as well. And in most cases "successful" means a hobby friend visit what is not what I want,
Fun fact happened yesterday when my sim got fired by chance card from military career, she pleaded for job and got "No way you can get your job back", A minute later she sat at computer and got hired in military career back, just a little lower level.
In vacation cards most annoying is teleport learning chance card because you cannot do anything and your choice has no matter because if the game lets your sim learn teleport he/she will learn whatever button you press.

Quote: Originally posted by Burnziie
Children love to nuke their energy jumping on beds, if I look away for a second they're usually down half of their energy bar almost right after waking up since they decide to turn a bed into a trampoline

As person who loves silence, isn't that cute if they sleep through their childhood.
Forum Resident
#5811 Old 24th Nov 2020 at 5:38 PM
Hobby cards can get your sim fired? I must get really lucky on my penalties then, as I've only ever had a sim lose enthusiasm. And yeah, I agree with the hobby friends not being very good. I mean, Stella Goth (née Terrano) got a successful hobby card and brought the DJ from Downtown home... didn't know you could interact with him outside of his job. I looked him up though, apparently he's safe, so I didn't worry.
Quote: Originally posted by Annaminna
Fun fact happened yesterday when my sim got fired by chance card from military career, she pleaded for job and got "No way you can get your job back", A minute later she sat at computer and got hired in military career back, just a little lower level.

That's brilliant It's like a 'you're fired, you're hired' kind of situation.

I've never bothered learning teleportation because of its apparent randomness...

Mad Poster
#5812 Old 24th Nov 2020 at 5:44 PM
I've had to use Modded objects to bring a child's energy back up after jumping on the bed nuked it in th morning.I also got a no chance cards for jobs to get rid of that risk as I would use Mods that change the chance of promotions,job stoppinator and even random chances of any jobs being available to adjust that.Sims who don't find jobs for ages end up using the charisma podiums from career rewards to earn money until they do find a job.I also give them the option of moving into subsidized rental housing even if only a boarding house is available at that time because they might've been going broke.
Theorist
#5813 Old 24th Nov 2020 at 6:12 PM
In vacation cards most annoying is teleport learning chance card because you cannot do anything and your choice has no matter because if the game lets your sim learn teleport he/she will learn whatever button you press.

Really ? My sim wrongly answered when I played him yesterday.
Well I can't test. I have the teleport action courtesy of the sim manipulator.
Scholar
#5814 Old 24th Nov 2020 at 7:06 PM
It annoys me that townie teens have no opportunity to apply for scholarships when going to uni, because it has to be player-directed before they leave home, so they only ever get the basic $500. You'd think they'd at least get $2000 - base plus Orphaned Sims Assistance Fund - since no townie teen has living parents. I calculate all their entitlements manually and use either familyfunds or Cyjon's loan jar to give them their fair share, but it still annoys me that EAxis didn't make any kind of provision for this.
Mad Poster
#5815 Old 24th Nov 2020 at 8:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Essa
Really ? My sim wrongly answered when I played him yesterday.
Well I can't test. I have the teleport action courtesy of the sim manipulator.

Yes. Your answer will be wrong until your sim matches other circumstances not dependable of answer.
Mad Poster
#5816 Old 24th Nov 2020 at 9:18 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 25th Nov 2020 at 5:26 PM.
Yes. Your answer will be wrong until your sim matches other circumstances not dependable of answer.

Another way to say the button you press and the "right" answer is random, and the game decides whenever whatever button you pick is the "right" one.

If I'm not completely mistaken, several of the other chance cards work like this, too.

Might have something to do with skill levels or other circumstances (I don't know), but most likely luck-of-the-draw. Sometimes you just get a whole bunch of good chance card results, or a whole bunch of bad ones, or a bit of both. For work chance cards you can hit "ignore" if you don't want to take the chance, though.
Scholar
#5817 Old 24th Nov 2020 at 10:27 PM
So glad I'm not alone about those chance cards. I actually took out Aaroneous' mod because people told me it made their game more unpredictable, and in a way it is true but for me it was less enjoyable. I mean, poor Regan Capp lost her dream job the first day she went to it! At least she got another job. As a Team Mascot (Athletic career)..... ---Puts Mod back into game---

My pet peeve is also a reminder for myself: Before visiting community lots, place some pet objects like a chew toy & scratching post. Why? To stop those strays from destroying the entire place. Also, cat litter & an accessible bush for the dogs (or cats if they prefer). Key objects: Chew toy & cat scratch post.
Theorist
#5818 Old 24th Nov 2020 at 10:33 PM

IIRC my sims never got the chance to meet the ninja twice while on vacation.
Mad Poster
#5819 Old 25th Nov 2020 at 5:41 AM
@BlueAlien I might just make the townie teens selectable when they're visiting someone and have them borrow the house phone to apply for scholarships.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#5820 Old 25th Nov 2020 at 9:16 AM
I really love the chance cards, gives some unexpected bonuses and penalties. I always seem to get them wrong, though!
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#5821 Old 25th Nov 2020 at 6:07 PM
@Simsample that was why I got a Mod to remove the job chance cards after one like that resulted in my sims getting fired from work and having to move into a subsidized apartment after losing their jobs and not being able to find new ones right away.I've also Modded out the luxury home pricing on apartment lots which I always hated and apartments are affodable housing as they were meant to be.
I always hated how EA meant the apartments to be only luxury housing for wealthy sims instead of afforable housing options for poor and low income sims as well as having higher end options for better off sims.I changed that and the NPC neighbors with a few Mods to remove the NPC's and one to cut the rents in half.
Mad Poster
#5822 Old 26th Nov 2020 at 6:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Fyren5
My pet peeve is also a reminder for myself: Before visiting community lots, place some pet objects like a chew toy & scratching post. Why? To stop those strays from destroying the entire place. Also, cat litter & an accessible bush for the dogs (or cats if they prefer). Key objects: Chew toy & cat scratch post.

These might be useful.

https://modthesims.info/d/207730/qu...le-recolor.html
https://modthesims.info/d/234099/bl...litter-box.html
Scholar
#5823 Old 26th Nov 2020 at 4:55 PM

Oh my goodness, thank you so much for these!!!! Downloading right now!
Mad Poster
#5824 Old 28th Nov 2020 at 11:52 AM
When you spend ages writing out the information to upload something and press next and a fricking virus warning comes up and wipes all your work. DX
Mad Poster
#5825 Old 28th Nov 2020 at 3:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
When you spend ages writing out the information to upload something and press next and a fricking virus warning comes up and wipes all your work. DX

Haven't had virus warnings wipe out something I've written, but "can't find page" or a bunch of other problems. I've taken to (if I remember it) copy down or write out long information doodahs like this as notepad documents (because they take up little to no space and usually don't do weird things to BBcode) before I click "submit", just in case. Or just mark and copy the text before clicking "submit" if it's a long post and I really can't bother writing it again. It's saved me from a few annoying rounds of having to write it all over again.
Page 233 of 274