Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Mar 2015 at 4:59 PM Last edited by Nysha : 19th Mar 2015 at 10:53 PM.
Default The Great Sims 4 v 3 v 2 v 1 Thread
Mod Note: This thread is now stickied and is the only "Which game is better?" thread allowed in this forum from this day forth. Any new "Which is better?" threads will be either merged with this one or locked, depending on how charitable the mod is feeling.

Hey guys, basically I've had the Sims 2 since forever, but my laptop has recently died, and as I am getting a newer, more powerful machine I'm thinking it might be time to step up my Sims game. I'm still unsure though, as there's some stuff about the Sims 4 that I'm quite doubtful about (like the absence of cars and stuff). Also, I've accumulated loads of custom stuff for the Sims 2 from here and other places (thanks a lot btw!) + pretty much all additional content etc, which makes it a lot of fun, whether I'm playing or building stuff, so I'm not sure whether the upgrade to Sims 4 (or 3?) is that interesting... But I don't really wanna be the nerd that doesn't update his game for twenty years lol, so I'd like everyone's opinion on the subject
Basically sell me each version, tell me why you think it's better (or worse)
Looking forward to reading your answers!
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 19th Mar 2015 at 5:12 PM Last edited by MLMII : 19th Mar 2015 at 5:13 PM. Reason: Blasted smilies confused me ... kindly whip them with a soft noodle for me ... please?
Here we go again.

If you haven't seen it I'd give http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=549969 a glance, at least until the "Great Incest Debate" gets underway. (Yes, I'm well aware that I was in the middle of the fray and would jump right in all over again. )
Instructor
#3 Old 19th Mar 2015 at 5:23 PM
I play both TS2 and TS3. TS4, for me has had too many things left out of it that were in previous games to make it worth spending my money on it. It comes down to personal play style, I believe. I love playing big families, although, since I use over stuff houses type of mods, it can be overwhelming when there are a bunch of Sims living in one household. It is easier in TS3 to have more Sims in a house because they can be spread out all over the town doing different things. When they are all on one lot in TS2, it can get really crazy.

The funny thing for me is that when I play TS2, I miss the freedom of the open world, create a style, as well as some of the other game-play features of that game. Other than the greenhouse way in TS3, I really like the gardening better in that game than in TS2. When I play TS3, I miss the Sim interactions that were left out of 3 that were in 2, as well as how much better Sims were able to eat together. Just on a whole, Sims 2 by far blows Sims 3 out of the water when it comes to inter-Sim relationships. There is just plainly more content there. Also, some of how the Sims emotions work in TS2 is better than in TS3.

I've read posts from people who've played TS4 as well as watched many game-play videos people have posted, and it's the lack of real emotional connections between the Sims themselves as well as the true life stages that are missing that, for me, make it not a family oriented game, which is not what I want.

Another downside of TS4 is the tiny "worlds". In comparison with worlds all the way back to TS1, they don't stack up. I usually fill my worlds with a lot of Sims. I love playing various Sims and having them have large families, so I'd say that if you are a more family oriented player, it's better to stick with TS2, or you could try TS3, since at least there is more for families in that game than TS4, BUT the toddler through teenage Sims in that game have weird squashed-looking heads and don't always look like what they should to grow up to. Sims 2 did that much better.

One thing I love about TS3, though, is that there are some gorgeous worlds made by Simmers out there that are so immersive, it makes that game a much better life simulation than TS2, since the Sims can explore the whole world, while in TS2 they are stuck on only one lot. There are moments, like you can watch your Sim take a walk through the world and just be in awe at the beauty of such created worlds. As with anything in The Sims games, the user made content is much better than what has been put out by EAxis.

I've run out of time because I need to get ready for work today, and I could post a lot more, but that's the basics of it for me in a nutshell.

Is it not better to be counted among the strange rather than the incurably stupid? ♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Instructor
#4 Old 19th Mar 2015 at 5:24 PM
If you want my personal views:

Sims 1 is a stand-alone. It feels cold and robotic to play.

Sims 2 is a HUGE step up from Sims 1 and a small step up from Sims 3. It has a ton of personality and is certainly one of the best in the series. Every expansion added a ton of new content and this game could probably be played endlessly.

Sims 3 is a step up from Sims 1, but a step down from Sims 2. It isn't AS cold as Sims 1, but it doesn't have the personality of Sims 2. It DOES, however, have CASt. Basically, all sims in this game end up living the same basic life and they seem to live in isolation, even in a big family, unless you FORCE them to talk to people. The expansions (with a few exceptions) add little to the game. Even though I had the Sims 3 and its expansions, I more often played the Sims 2.

Sims 4 is basically a modern Sims 2. It has all the charm and personality of Sims 2, but with updated graphics, wardrobe, moods, YA for all sims. It may or may not have something to do with the whole "new EA," but from what I've heard everyone who buys it loves the game or hates it (BCUZE NO TODLERSs Or POOLLLS OR GHOSssTSs [even though pools and ghosts were added in later...]!?! WAHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1). I personally love it.

In any case, I do NOT recommend the Sims 3. It lost my interest quite quickly and I've heard similar stories from basically everyone else I know who played it ("Not as good as the Sims 2").

If you haven't played the Sims 3, I doubt if you'll miss CASt, open worlds, cars (really, since there's no open world), etc., so you'll probably like it. It seems that the only reason people don't like the Sims 4 is because the Sims 3 had a ton of lag-inducing features that, while nice, weren't worth the hassle of putting up with a twenty-second pause every ten seconds (yes; I said that correctly). More with CC.

Oh, and as for the loading screens: you have been playing the Sims 2. They'll be a step up, since they only take around five to ten seconds and only appear when you change lots (again, the Sims 3 didn't have lot loading screens [but it had them when you started the game - LOOOOOOONG ones], but the lag made up for the lack of loading screens).
Field Researcher
#5 Old 19th Mar 2015 at 5:29 PM
My personal opinion: I will play Sims 2 forever!!
But I don't think Sims 4 is as bad as told at several places.
We mustn't forget that by now it is only the BEGINNING of a game, a basic, and maybe there is a lot to come. (Always think positive! )
I like it and I play it as well.

Sims 2 is like the "first love" to me (like Morrowind for roleplaying games) and it will stay. :lovestruc
Alchemist
#7 Old 19th Mar 2015 at 7:28 PM
I love The Sims 3. Don't expect it to be as good as The Sims 2 though, but it sure gives you an extraordinary experience in my oppinion.
Alchemist
#9 Old 19th Mar 2015 at 8:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Hey Zen, did you ever get the RAMdisk to work with your cache? There's a better tutorial on the page now in the 1st and 2nd post of the thread.

Thanks for reminding me, but I feel like giving up. English is not my first language and believe it or not I always have a hard time reading those kind of instructions. My command prompt also told me there was no such file/map, sigh.
Instructor
#10 Old 19th Mar 2015 at 9:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
That's funny, because my TS2 loads way faster than TS4.

The initial loading to your world from boot up is approx 3-4 mins. We've timed it in the benchmark. And lag? Well, all I will say is that I'm running an i7 and playing Bridgeport on 17th global generation, tons of CC/mods, including dynamic shadow/light and NRAAS mods and my game is virtually lag free. Iono what you are doing, maybe your system is just too old or perhaps you should try to catch up to what people are doing with their TS3 nowadays.

1) Huh. Interesting. For me, TS2 screens always took about 2 minutes, but TS4 ones take seconds.

2) For me, TS3 loading screens always take about ten minutes.

I'm using a brand new Windows 8 desktop. Not sure of the processor, though... I DO know it's modern and quite fast. On my old computer TS3 loading screens took a LOT longer than ten minutes.

On top of that, my game crashed about twice per real-life week.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#11 Old 19th Mar 2015 at 9:59 PM
Is this a trick question? I'd save your money.

If you want to give anything a try I'd suggest sims 3- and I don't even have it installed any longer.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
#12 Old 19th Mar 2015 at 10:19 PM
IMO, TS2 is a better game with all expansions and it's still my favorite game in the series. It doesn't like newer GPUs, however, which I discovered the other day trying to get the Ultimate Collection up and running on my new rig. It's just a bit of extra frustration to get the graphics to work right (setting the resolution/getting anti-aliasing to work). The camera is a bit janky compared to TS3 and TS4, because it can only move on one axis at a time, and I think I'm having weird framerates on my new rig. But the actual gameplay mechanics are the best imo. Wants/Fears System > Whatever other want system they've had in later games. And there's just a lot of charm in the small details of TS2 that I didn't really feel with TS3 and only somewhat feel in TS4.

I'm enjoying TS4 a lot and it feels a bit like the TS2 base game with updated graphics, camera and shorter load times. But if you're looking for content TS2 is still my favorite.

TS3.... fuck that jazz. I played that game regularly for 5 years, with all expansions as they came out (mostly because my TS2 discs were stuck somewhere) and I just still can't look back on it like it was a great game. It went to so many measures just to make my hoods not implode after like 4 generations and that, combined with ten minute load screens between worlds, it was just so tiring. Eh. I guess the TS2 style load screens and subhoods was just more my style.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 19th Mar 2015 at 10:26 PM
Sims 2 or Sims 4...........

I actually love Sims 4. I don't know why, but I really enjoy it. I enjoy the interactions, graphics, and the general game play. I don't enjoy the bugginess, and I don't enjoy the limited world or the limited content. I enjoy the emotions, and the careers (even though they are limited) and I am looking forward to Get to Work so much!! (Can't afford it when it comes out, but I'll save up for it)!
But, for the custom content alone, my heart will probably always belong to sims 2. I want custom edible food, and period clothing, so much, for Sims 4.... *sighs*
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 19th Mar 2015 at 10:37 PM
Sims 2 and 4. Sims 3 is the worse game on franchise... just my opinion.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 19th Mar 2015 at 11:45 PM Last edited by lil bag2 : 20th Mar 2015 at 5:29 PM.
TS1 is it's own thing. It doesn't seem right but I usually don't compare it to its sequels.

TS3 is probably the most ambitious title in the series and I love CAS but it takes forever to load and makes my computer run like snail tied to a ball and chain. Combine that with the number of times they tried something new (or tried to re-create something from TS2) and failed miserably and we got ourselves something I can't bring myself to uninstall now but probably wont make it to my next computer. It's got the best visuals, it's great for story telling, and it gives you the most creative freedom out of all of the Sim games. But it was a broken mess. Thank goodness for Twallan. I recognize that it apparently didn't run like shit on everyone's computers but it's been a problem for a large enough chunk of the fandom for me to consider it when I compare it to the other two games.

As of now, I alternate mostly between TS2 and TS4. TS4, for better or worse, lacked all of the ambition and desire to try something new that made TS3 so memorable. And instead, opted to for a approach so simple that it sometimes feels like it came before TS2. While it is a fun game in its own right and doesn't fail to keep me busy, it's still basically TS2 if it had its soul sucked out and the empty husk left over was filled with a bunch of shiny new objects and more modern scenarios to make us forget that it's an empty husk.
-Missing age groups (toddlers and teens)
-TERRIBLE lighting
-Hardly any textures that don't look like plastic or rubber
-THREE stages of the same life stage (Teen, YA, and Adult are the same damn thing now. I don't care what you tell me)
-Omission of things that have been around in every base game up until now (Cars, Firemen, Burglars, wall phones, video game consoles, dishwashers, house phones)
-Shifting the focus from family life to Young Adult life
-Sims that are more lifelike and independent than in TS3 but still appear to completely soulless, lacking almost all of the charm that they had in TS2.
-Making things so much easier that the game feels dumbed down
-Pushing new features that have technically always been around only not as in depth and (in most cases) annoying. I am, of course, talking about emotions and multitasking.
-The sims are smarter in some aspects but down right brain dead in areas that they were smart in before.
-Those absolutely HORRENDOUS dance animations
-The two worlds they give us fill up WAY too fast! I'm on my third save file because I'm running out of room.
-Sims interactions and relationships with each other are better than in TS3 but still unnatural and robotic compared to TS2.

These are some of many little things that slowly build up to everything I find wrong with TS4. It feels like it was trying to be a good game and go back to the route that TS2 started....but it also feels like they didn't have enough time to complete it and just handed us their scraps in hopes that the modding and CC community will pick up the slack for them (again). Of course they'll never admit it (we're still waiting for them to admit the Olympus fiasco. We already proved it happened but they still wont acknowledge it) and give us that whole "Things aren't missing. We just had a certain vision for the Sims and those things didn't fit into our vision" BS. Yeah...your vision for a game where it's the player's vision that's supposed to matter. Remember the last time you justified shit by calling it "your vision"? It was called SimCity, and we all know how that went. Hell, it's a couple years later and we're still paying for your SimCity fuck-up "vision" with TS4. I'll never forget when Rachel, addressing the lack of toddlers, actually said that they did it to make room for those stupid ass walk styles. I can go on a very long tangent about the shit that spouts from some of these Guru's mouths but that's a conversation for another day. The only thing that keeps me coming back to it is that it's CAS is LEAGUES better than TS2's. It's a nice game and it shows a lot of nice potential but...almost everything it does has been done better by its predecessors.

So as far as the entire series is concerned, TS2 is my absolute favorite. My only real complaints about it are how you can't make overweight sims and the genetics are a bit fucked up (For some reason, my attractive sims always like to make butt ugly offspring)
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 20th Mar 2015 at 12:54 AM
I am playing 2 right now but I started with 3. I still have not found a reason to buy 4 yet....but I remain skeptically hopeful.

If you have never played 3 then I would definitely invest in that just to experience the open world and the unlimited creative possibilities that it provides. When playing 3, if I would get bored with the game I would just concentrate on creating my own world and that would satisfy me until I wanted to play again. You can basically create anything you can imagine. There are tons of worlds out there that will blow your mind if you don't feel like creating your own. I created a world without roads so everyone had to walk or ride their horses....that was really fun.

If you do decide to purchase 3, I would recommend installing medium to small worlds to avoid lag. If you are not having any problems after that, then go all out with the biggest maps but utilize the EA maps that have been fixed by the wonderful @Ellacharmed here.

I love 2 and 3 as I think they both bring something unique to the game. But if you already have 2, I think 3 would be a much better investment for you. Personally, I'm going to wait until 4 is somewhat more "flushed out" and there are mods out the wazoo.
Scholar
#17 Old 20th Mar 2015 at 2:17 AM
I feel nostalgic about TS1, but I only have to check screenshots now to get rid of that feeling I don't require top graphics (I play Minecraft after all), but TS1 is just too dated for now.
TS2 is great, but since TS3 I have grown allergic to managing and downloading recolours. It feels such a waste of space and time. I want an open world too.
TS3 is my favourite choice because of CASt and open world. It just takes a silly amount of work to make it run smoothly. EA should be ashamed of that. Especially considering how mods can make up for a lot of crappy made by EA worlds and poor optimisation. Still, to me it is the only viable choice atm for a the sims game.
TS4, well..I got it as present and already forgot mostly why I was so pissed of about it (which usually means I ragequitted a lot and was appalled about the design choices etc) EA's attitude towards their customers just made that worse and since then I play other games.
Instructor
#18 Old 20th Mar 2015 at 3:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mithrak_nl
I feel nostalgic about TS1, but I only have to check screenshots now to get rid of that feeling I don't require top graphics (I play Minecraft after all), but TS1 is just too dated for now.
TS2 is great, but since TS3 I have grown allergic to managing and downloading recolours. It feels such a waste of space and time. I want an open world too.
TS3 is my favourite choice because of CASt and open world. It just takes a silly amount of work to make it run smoothly. EA should be ashamed of that. Especially considering how mods can make up for a lot of crappy made by EA worlds and poor optimisation. Still, to me it is the only viable choice atm for a the sims game.
TS4, well..I got it as present and already forgot mostly why I was so pissed of about it (which usually means I ragequitted a lot and was appalled about the design choices etc) EA's attitude towards their customers just made that worse and since then I play other games.

What did EA do? They saw that CASt created problems for the majority of players, so they removed it.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#19 Old 20th Mar 2015 at 3:33 AM
The title of this has changed since I posted. Sims 2 for me will always be the best. Sims 1 was ground breaking and wonderful; Sim 2 revolutionized how we played; Sims 3 had open world but I hate the sims, and Sims 4... so far I find that to be a joke, a very expensive joke.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Instructor
#20 Old 20th Mar 2015 at 3:54 AM
I don't care what people say, I luv Sims 3 :lovestruc People consider it to be the black llama but I don't care

My simblr AsdSims
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 20th Mar 2015 at 6:18 AM Last edited by kuroineko05 : 20th Mar 2015 at 8:21 AM.
Heh, I'm actually playing TS1 again. (Has it been 15 years?) TS2 is of course leagues ahead of it, but if you put yourself in the mindset of 2000 it's actually quite a fun little game. Sure the Sims are all samey and it has way less content than some of its later sequels, but I can see a lot of love and passion went into its creation. It's also very charming so it has that going for it.

I'm quite enjoying the Superstar expansion; I wish TS3's dumb celebrity system was more like this instead of a lame-assed version that had half its features chopped off. (As with most of the stuff in TS3 actually) And magic is actually useful! It was an absolute must for me when it comes to making friends and gardening since I barely have time when I'm juggling needs, jobs and skilling.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 20th Mar 2015 at 11:14 AM
I love The Sims - it has it's own charm and is in many ways the best of the series. I'm so glad this discussion has a place, finally.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Instructor
#23 Old 20th Mar 2015 at 12:00 PM
They all have their good and bad, but weighing them all, Sims 2 is still the best choice for me.

The Sims 1 was good in its time, I had so much fun with it. I still play it when I want to have a nostalgia trip. But for today it's very limited. I miss a lot of the interactions and objects plus the humour is not something I feel was ever really done again. Remember the random phone calls and all of the awesome stuff you got in EPs? I just keep thinking about Superstar's spa set (mud bath!), recording booths, Making Magic's baking oven, honey, etc. The items were so fun and original! I don't think we've ever quite got as nice things.

Sims 2 was such a step up, generations, Sims growing old, 3D, building multiple levels, just to name a few things. I love it best because although later games have aspects I miss when playing it, it's still all around the game that caters to my wants the most. I wouldn't sacrifice open community lots such as shops and restaurants for the open world in 3, as pretty as it was. I love my Sims having businesses. I love the way relationships and interactions are. The Sims feel alive and warm and funny. Plus I think they look pretty good. I know this is short but I could sing praises for this game all day. The only things missing are good ideas from later games which I miss when playing it.

I don't think Sims 3 is a bad game, great ideas, poor execution. Open world a good idea and rabbit holes are fine for jobs but I'd rather have open lots for everything else. Gorgeous hills are nice but what's the point if I can't see inside the restaurant? Instead, there's pop-up messages, it's lazy and breaks immersion. The Sims themselves lack "soul" and look like eggheads no matter how much CC and stuff I'd put in, I never had this issue with 2. I miss, however, the idea of having favourites (nice touch, in my opinion) and traits (though I'd combine it with the personality points, making traits into quirks instead). Another criticism, is that some traits were useless. Just text changes no animations. EA being lazy again. I liked being able to chose a voice for them and being able to recolour and match everything... BUT, it didn't work well, was VERY slow for me. Plus when it came to clothing, they were all glossy, no matter what fabric I used. Again, the game has good ideas, but poorly executed. Maybe some people feel they can't go back to 2 with all of these things, especially if it works on their PC (lucky!) but personally it isn't worth the stuff I lose.

Sims 4, played it and glad I didn't buy it. I'll only mention the praise I've got for it because everyone knows the downsides by now (or look into the receptacle). I like some of the changes in CAS, only I would love the option of either sliders and/or some sort of values to know precisely how much more I can pull or push. I'm a bit of a perfectionist so to me, to have precise amounts would be useful. I love how you can make lots of bodyshapes, finally! My Sim self has never been so accurate. They have nicer proportions than in 3. No more eggheads! Buy/Build has some nice additions too, picking up a room, wall heights and search bar for the love of Sims! Finally! That's just on top of my head, it's not a full list. I like the idea of multi-tasking, even if it was somewhat present in other games. But they need to refine it, it caused some serious annoyances (musical chair, Sims all having attention deficit disorder, etc.) and some are just unwanted (working on the computer only to get a Sim start to talk to them and slow down the progress).

In all, I can't give up 2 yet. They would need to make a new Sims that takes all of the good in Sims 2 and add all of the good ideas from the other games and refine them for me to give it up. That's what I hoped 4 would be like, unfortunately, it isn't the case.
Forum Resident
#24 Old 20th Mar 2015 at 12:20 PM
I love how some people resume people's frustrations with TS4 to "pools, toddlers and ghosts".

Those are just tiny little tips of the iceberg that is The Sims 4's shortcomings...
Scholar
#25 Old 20th Mar 2015 at 12:21 PM
For me Sims 2 is the best of the series.
It has nearly everything i want (there are mods that are important for my gameplay) and i can't see a reason to exchange this superb game for TS3 or even TS4.
Page 1 of 20