Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#10276 Old 6th Jan 2021 at 5:02 AM
This is one of the worse cases of writer's block I've had when it comes to lot descriptions... I have another lot all finished and tested and ready to take pictures of, but I can't figure out a story that I'm happy with. And it doesn't help that my approach to writing lot descriptions pretty much renders any "how to write a story" guides useless, since I'm very deliberately NOT trying to wrap things up or lead towards one specific conclusion- quite the opposite, in fact.

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#10277 Old 6th Jan 2021 at 3:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Zarathustra
This is one of the worse cases of writer's block I've had when it comes to lot descriptions... I have another lot all finished and tested and ready to take pictures of, but I can't figure out a story that I'm happy with. And it doesn't help that my approach to writing lot descriptions pretty much renders any "how to write a story" guides useless, since I'm very deliberately NOT trying to wrap things up or lead towards one specific conclusion- quite the opposite, in fact.

Kurt Vonnegut had one way of ending a story which works.
"And so it goes.."
He was a pretty good writer, too, don't you think?

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Field Researcher
#10278 Old 6th Jan 2021 at 4:15 PM
Today in my job searching notifications I got an ad for a position at a belgian company called "Whoohoo"

(edit: actually it is not the name of the company but the recruiting agency, still funny though)
Top Secret Researcher
#10279 Old 6th Jan 2021 at 4:15 PM
Simday 5 of playing the Newsons, I still have not learned all their names.

I've got one or two things on MTS, but most of my stuff is on my main site here:
http://simcessories.blogspot.com/
(Now recruiting budding creators.)
Forum Resident
#10280 Old 6th Jan 2021 at 8:45 PM
Reporting youtube channel WooHoo for NSFW content just to feel something
Top Secret Researcher
#10281 Old 7th Jan 2021 at 6:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Monsieur_Oshima
Today in my job searching notifications I got an ad for a position at a belgian company called "Whoohoo"

(edit: actually it is not the name of the company but the recruiting agency, still funny though)

What position was it?

Omnia - Fantasy / Mythological / Medieval Hood
Ephemera MoreColorful - SimpleSkin Recolors
Lab Assistant
#10282 Old 9th Jan 2021 at 3:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Zarathustra

Just wanted to say I absolutely love and am in awe of your lot descriptions!
Mad Poster
#10283 Old 9th Jan 2021 at 8:22 PM
Never thought that after installing The Sims 2 I need change files in so many places. It took me whole day to replace them and it is not yet finished, I haven't touched Scriptorium yet. But i took my time to try out Win10test hood and was surprised to see Pleasantview townies again (forgot disable that one )
Mad Poster
#10284 Old 23rd Jan 2021 at 6:37 PM
Chatting about games with the family (multiple teen boys and husband in the conversation with me).

"Minecraft is so ugly."
"But so popular."
"What does that tell you guys?" (me)
"Game graphics don't matter?"
"No, that's not right. Game graphics do matter. Look at Dark Souls."
"They just don't matter as much as game engine."
"Given that people are still playing Sims 2,"
"We know, Ma!"
"And you can mod it to look exactly like Skyrim or Fallout or whatever other game, because people have extracted the meshes and textures and converted them, if you design a game put all your money into the engine and let the modders have access for the rest."
"So . . . get people to work for free?"
"Yup! Pretty much."

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Mad Poster
#10285 Old 24th Jan 2021 at 9:18 PM
You must talk about TS2 a lot if they're like "We know, Ma!".

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Mad Poster
#10286 Old 25th Jan 2021 at 2:58 AM
I've got to get into my BACC and get them started into winter as they need to get into the new year so another family can arrive in town.
Mad Poster
#10287 Old 25th Jan 2021 at 8:14 AM
Pets can't open doors. Neither can toddlers. So are we pretending that the doors that open for them are just "automatic"? I've seen this talked about before; there is no mod to fix this silliness. WHY NOT! Come to think of it, what about the parrot in the cage? They can't get out of their cage if the cage door is shut, but can they fly through shut doors? I don't think they can go outside.. would like to see them fly away!

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10288 Old 25th Jan 2021 at 2:39 PM Last edited by AndrewGloria : 25th Jan 2021 at 2:51 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by grammapat
Pets can't open doors. Neither can toddlers.
Since doors, unless they're locked, open automatically for Sims (and I assume for their pets too), I think you must be talking about Real Life pets and toddlers. However some pets definitely can open some doors. And, I'm pretty sure some toddlers can open some doors too. In my old flat the doors had ball catches, so, in one direction they could be opened by just pushing them. When I left my dog (a mongrel who was half boxer) in the house, I always closed all the internal doors and left her in the living room. But, when I got home, the living room and bedroom doors were always open. To open the living room door, she would have had to pull the door towards her, and I never knew how she did it without causing damage to the door. Until once when she was quite old -- well into her teens, I saw how she did it. I was in the living room with her when the doorbell rang. She went to the door, tilted her head to one side, gripped the handle in her teeth, and stepped back sharply. This opened the door enough for her to get back onto all fours and pull the door fully open with her paw. I was very impressed.

A door with a proper latch of course can only be opened by turning the handle, but we had a cat who could do that too. My grandmother's house had lever-type door handles. The cat simply reached up with his paw and pulled the handle down to open the door. One night my grandmother were alone in the house watching television in the living room. I got quite a fright when I heard someone starting to open the door. I was quite worried -- until the cat walked in! I suppose a round door handle would have defeated him; they defeat me if my hands are greasy.

I have little doubt that toddlers too will be able to open doors as soon as they're big enough to reach the handles.

It wasn't me, but I suspect that's why you got a Disagree on your post.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Test Subject
#10289 Old 25th Jan 2021 at 2:46 PM
Pets can't open doors. Neither can toddlers. So are we pretending that the doors that open for them are just "automatic"? I've seen this talked about before; there is no mod to fix this silliness. WHY NOT! Come to think of it, what about the parrot in the cage? They can't get out of their cage if the cage door is shut, but can they fly through shut doors? I don't think they can go outside.. would like to see them fly away!

Imagine the routing errors I prefer suspension of disbelief for the purpose of convenience in this case.
Theorist
#10290 Old 25th Jan 2021 at 4:10 PM
So are we pretending that the doors that open for them are just "automatic"?

No?
Personally I don't pretend anything in regard to how the doors work in Sims 2. To me it falls under "acceptable breaks form reality" (https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki....eaksFromReality) and it would be pretty annoying if we'd have to direct our Sims to open doors for their pets and toddlers.
After all child/teen/adult/elder Sims don't reach for the door handle either, they just march from room to room with the doors opening for them by themselves as well...

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#10291 Old 25th Jan 2021 at 4:22 PM
what about the parrot in the cage? They can't get out of their cage if the cage door is shut, but can they fly through shut doors? I don't think they can go outside.. would like to see them fly away!
They can go outside, but if you have a foundation and deck they seem to stick to the deck and not go down to ground level. It's hilarious to see a huge parrot flying round and round a 3x3 deck as though there were some invisible wall to stop them flying over the fence...
Mad Poster
#10292 Old 26th Jan 2021 at 2:04 AM
Thanks for all the feedback about doors. I have to agree with AndrewGloria. And simsample, I didn't know that about the birds! So OK, automatic doors it is. And I do actually have a little fence that is supposed to keep toddlers corralled, but I've never used it.

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Mad Poster
#10293 Old 28th Jan 2021 at 7:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HarVee
You must talk about TS2 a lot if they're like "We know, Ma!".

Not just that, but TS2 is installed on the kids' computers (which leads to some hilarious moments with both nine year old and six year old playing Marla Biggs but one attached to Strangetown and the other attached to Veronaville "That's my sim!" "No she isn't, she's mine!") and all computers except my husband's work machine are in the main living area. There's software to keep kids off of unsavory websites, but with our hacker brats we've found "Ma or Daddy might walk in and see" to be more effective. One result of this is that they see when I play. (Kid #1 appears to have learned to restrict himself to declassified document reading for entertainment, so I have hopes that the lessons of what not to do on the internet may be learnable without too much drama. My kids are almost as weird as I am!)

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#10294 Old 28th Jan 2021 at 7:08 PM
@grammapat Today I had a parrot fly down the deck steps, so they can fly down stairs... I think it was because the sim was throwing a party, and the house was full of people (I invited 31 and they all turned up, with two gate-crashers! ) The matchmaker also turned up and tried to leave a lamp, but there was some garbage piles on the porch and so she (and the lamp she was trying to deliver) poofed out of existence!
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#10295 Old 29th Jan 2021 at 5:10 AM
@Simsample -That's nothing new when I've got a Mod to let all puppies,kittens and toddlers use the stairs without having to be carried up or down.I had to have it as soon as I found out about it.I can't wait to see a toddler get down to ground level in a house with a foundation because I know it's going to happen in my game.
I've had times when testing the Mod to let toddlers ise stairs that the toddler was able to move beween levels in an apartment building which is more realistic than them alway having to be carried up the stairs.I used to crawl up or down the stairs at 12monthes though with adult supervision at that time because our basement stairs had a door that could be closed.My brother also crawled on the stairs when watched though they were closed off most of the time.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#10296 Old 29th Jan 2021 at 11:30 AM
It's not that mod in this case though @TadOlson as I don't have it in that game install (too difficult to contain the kittens!). So the bird was able to go down the level by itself, but in all my time of playing with birds I've never seen them do that before. So I guess it was because the house was full of sims and he could not find a route to fly, so ended up on the tiny deck and then in the street.
Mad Poster
#10297 Old 29th Jan 2021 at 3:09 PM
I've had that happen with toddlers in homes with foundations before Mods and I couldn't direct the toddler to do that si it might've been a glitch then though I had gotten the Mod knowing how annoying it is to have to carry a toddler from one floor to the next in homes.I alos felt that pets should be able to move around more freely.
@Simsample -I often forget that others don't always have as many Mods as I use and it's about to get worse with Modding out gendering for toddler and child cothing.My CC load is about as bad as my Mod load if not worse and I probably have long since passed what would normally have been the file limit and even gone beyond that and still have no issues running the game except when I have to go shopping instead.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#10298 Old 29th Jan 2021 at 3:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TadOlson
I often forget that others don't always have as many Mods as I use
I probably have as many, just different mods. I have Rebecah's toddler/kitten/puppy mod in another game, just not in this particular one.
Mad Poster
#10299 Old 30th Jan 2021 at 5:23 AM
@Simsample -It looks like we both have folders with heavy Mod loads and might be close to the same level and my computer is still running the game like it's just doing light tasks.I've got most background tasks disabled or set to only start manually so they don't overwork my computer.This is with my laptop running after 8 years and having kept things under control for almost all of that time.
Theorist
#10300 Old 30th Jan 2021 at 6:54 PM
So I rolled random events for my hood. For the first time in my simming life I got the plague event with 10 infected sims.
I don't really know how I feel about it.
Page 412 of 511