Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#226 Old 30th Oct 2020 at 6:48 PM
I am with you 110% on Cats and Dogs. For me it was the point at which I know I would never move on to 4 in any serious capacity. The only thing about it I thought was good was the vet career as I had planned to became one myself since i was fairly younge.
It is cool i guess to be able to make kittens and puppys in CAP, but honestly CAP is so bad in my opinion I just can't care about that. And since baby animals can only inherit on parents coat or the others and not a mix of both, breeding them to me is pointless and shallow.
But not controlling pets is what really gets me. Acualy more so the people who defend it being removed is what really gets under my skin.
The other night while I was playing my game I had on one of lilsimsie stream archive vods for back ground noise. At one point she started a bit of a rant about how TS4 pets are better then TS3 pets because they're not controllable. Right it's soooo much better that players don't have a chose in how to play their game.
I got so work up that I left a rather passionate comment on the vidoe and then shut it off.
It just really deeply aggravates me at the mental gymnastics people use to defend TS4's constant removal of player chose.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#227 Old 30th Oct 2020 at 9:20 PM
Funny, I think I know which video(s) you're talking about, Key.

But hey, I'm not saying that EA splitting up the pets pack was good, or that them not making pets controllable was good. I'm saying that there are Sims 4 simmers that say the Sims 4 has the best pets because they're not controllable and therefore they act more like pets. What's being argued is that the pets in Sims 4 have the best A.I and well, I don't have the Cats & Dogs expansion (yet) so I can't confirm that.

Honestly, now that I'm thinking about it I would love to make an entire thread comparing the dogs and cats in both installments someday. No one would be interested in it but me, but it would be hella fun for yours truly; the pets expansion packs will always be my cinnamon and butter and I will take any opportunity to talk about them to other people.

Oh c'mon. There better be a point to all this stress I'm under.
Lab Assistant
#228 Old 30th Oct 2020 at 10:02 PM
Do it, LittleCheshire. You will have at least one interested reader in me I've heard that before too and I am interested if it's true, since comments bellow Red Plumbob's dogs and cats comparison videos don't really confirm that for me, especially after some people started there a debate over how their Sims 4 pets are afraid of some things without any real reason. That doesn't sound like good AI for me. It sounds more like creators putting this thing to annoy players
Lab Assistant
#229 Old 31st Oct 2020 at 12:03 AM Last edited by LittleCheshire : 31st Oct 2020 at 12:21 AM.
I find it hilarious that you said that Peno, because as soon as I finished typing that response I got my filthy ****** hands on Cats & Dogs free of charge and started thinking of how I would set up the Test Families and format the future topic on here. It's very much still in the brainstorming stages--only the Cat Owner sims for each game have been created so far--but really this project is more of a study than it is an experiment since all I really have to do is have a house, have the basic necessities for the animals, and just watch to see if they are capable of caring for themselves without Godly Intervention and if their traits ever affect their behavior. Unfortunately, this particular study will have to wait until I can get my new computer up and running since right now my current gaming laptop is seriously getting ready to give out on me.

But besides that, I might actually be doing the Sims Wiki a favor. Did you know that almost all the "attributes" sections of the various pet traits for the Sims 4 are empty? Apparently for a lot of the traits no one knows if they have any actual effect. I find that hard to believe. 34 pet traits in all and they're all superficial? Yikes if true!

Lab Assistant
#230 Old 31st Oct 2020 at 12:55 AM
Littlecheshire I didn't think you where saying that at all which is why I agreed.
I don't really know about the AI for pets in 4 either as although I do have TS4 and C&Ds I play it so rarely it's not installed on either my Lap or desktop at the moment. But that said I've never had an issue with the AI in TS3. In fact I'm still blown away at how active and detailed pet behavior in the sims 3 is even when left on their own. In TS2 the AI for pets is so restrictive that often times I would feel that my animals got stuck in loops of eat , run around, lay on bed , chew/scratch and repeat unless something external interrupted like interactions with a sim or other pet. Even then the options where pretty limited. So comeing from that to pets in 3 was pretty mindblowing to me as it is. I nearly lost my self when my first TS3 cat was playing on the carpet and got her claw caught, something my RL kitten was doing all the time at that point. Point is I think TS3 pets act plenty like their RL counterparts when left to their own devices. And honestly of the YTers Ive heard say TS4 pets behave more realistically are all playing on speed 3 barly paying attention to most of their sims let alone their pets. So how would they know?
Personally when my households have pets I tend to not control them but like to watch what they get up to when my sims are busy.
On a side not I wonder of the glitch in 4 where pets couldn't path to pet objects on another floor is still peasant.
Lab Assistant
#231 Old 31st Oct 2020 at 1:10 AM Last edited by peno : 31st Oct 2020 at 1:44 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by LittleCheshire
I find it hilarious that you said that Peno, because as soon as I finished typing that response I got my filthy ****** hands on Cats & Dogs free of charge and started thinking of how I would set up the Test Families and format the future topic on here. It's very much still in the brainstorming stages--only the Cat Owner sims for each game have been created so far--but really this project is more of a study than it is an experiment since all I really have to do is have a house, have the basic necessities for the animals, and just watch to see if they are capable of caring for themselves without Godly Intervention and if their traits ever affect their behavior. Unfortunately, this particular study will have to wait until I can get my new computer up and running since right now my current gaming laptop is seriously getting ready to give out on me.

But besides that, I might actually be doing the Sims Wiki a favor. Did you know that almost all the "attributes" sections of the various pet traits for the Sims 4 are empty? Apparently for a lot of the traits no one knows if they have any actual effect. I find that hard to believe. 34 pet traits in all and they're all superficial? Yikes if true!

Totally understand the hardware issues. For the past two weeks I was trying to find out why my computer is turning off by itself and it couldn't come in a worse time, since my country is now under a whole new lockdown and I did not have anyone to turn to. So, well, after ruling out overheating of any component and HDD failure, I concentrated on memory, but that was not the case either. Sadly, I did not have anywhere to test the motherboard and graphics card, but the more I've read similar cases on the net, the more I went to the conclusion it may be PSU, so I ordered a new one and installed it in Monday and so far it seems to work and my comp even got more silent than I ever remember it, But I am a little worried about GPU temps now, since they are higher than I remember them to be, but still acceptable and the comp seems stable even during gameplay, so I hope my worries are unfounded.

But anyway, good luck with your computer and I am looking forward to the results of your research.
Lab Assistant
#232 Old 31st Oct 2020 at 7:19 AM Last edited by LittleCheshire : 31st Oct 2020 at 7:40 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by keyqueen
Littlecheshire I didn't think you where saying that at all which is why I agreed.
I don't really know about the AI for pets in 4 either as although I do have TS4 and C&Ds I play it so rarely it's not installed on either my Lap or desktop at the moment. But that said I've never had an issue with the AI in TS3. In fact I'm still blown away at how active and detailed pet behavior in the sims 3 is even when left on their own. In TS2 the AI for pets is so restrictive that often times I would feel that my animals got stuck in loops of eat , run around, lay on bed , chew/scratch and repeat unless something external interrupted like interactions with a sim or other pet. Even then the options where pretty limited. So comeing from that to pets in 3 was pretty mindblowing to me as it is. I nearly lost my self when my first TS3 cat was playing on the carpet and got her claw caught, something my RL kitten was doing all the time at that point. Point is I think TS3 pets act plenty like their RL counterparts when left to their own devices. And honestly of the YTers Ive heard say TS4 pets behave more realistically are all playing on speed 3 barly paying attention to most of their sims let alone their pets. So how would they know?

Oh, okay! Sorry if it sounded like I was kind of aggressive, I misunderstood! And hey, you have a point at the end, though. If you don't really pay close attention to something how can you know about it for sure. Looks like the study I've been planning out in my head will be interesting after all.

Also, that's adorable how your cat got her claw stuck. I think that's only happened to me once, and that's most likely because I play the sims sparingly.

Quote: Originally posted by peno
Totally understand the hardware issues. For the past two weeks I was trying to find out why my computer is turning off by itself and it couldn't come in a worse time, since my country is now under a whole new lockdown and I did not have anyone to turn to. So, well, after ruling out overheating of any component and HDD failure, I concentrated on memory, but that was not the case either. Sadly, I did not have anywhere to test the motherboard and graphics card, but the more I've read similar cases on the net, the more I went to the conclusion it may be PSU, so I ordered a new one and installed it in Monday and so far it seems to work and my comp even got more silent than I ever remember it, But I am a little worried about GPU temps now, since they are higher than I remember them to be, but still acceptable and the comp seems stable even during gameplay, so I hope my worries are unfounded.

But anyway, good luck with your computer and I am looking forward to the results of your research.

Thank you for the luck! Hopefully I'll be able to get the new desktop running by at least January 2021 so I can start the study; I hope the results will be interesting!

I'm wishing you luck too, cause that computer situation sounds like an absolute nightmare. I'm hoping that everything works out for you!

But on to a new topic, occults. Now, I admit that vampires and mermaids are better in the Sims 4. (I'm hesitant to give them witches because the only thing I think they did better about witches is the cauldron. But objectively they might be better, if we go by the Red Plumbob's videos.) They're way more in-depth than they've ever been in this newer installment. But what I will not stand for is slander against the Sims 3 aliens. Sims 3 aliens are the best in the series, what they talmbout?

Lab Assistant
#233 Old 1st Nov 2020 at 12:16 AM
What problem do you have with aliens in Sims 4? I can't comment much on the vampires and witches, since I don't have the appropriate GPs and I did not play much with mermaids yet, but I have to admit the main reason why I've bought Get to Work were aliens and so far I can't tell I am disappointed. I love aliens in Sims 3, but I love them in Sims 4 either. They are different but not in a bad thing. What I like in Sims 4 is the disguise and the fact that normal Sims react to aliens in their alien form. That I consider improvement from Sims 3, where other Sims acted like aliens are totally normal and nothing unusual. I don't know about you, but if bald green man or woman with echoing voice appeared at my door, I wouldn't just happily invited them inside, like my Sims in Sims 3 tends to do. On the other hand, I just love the spaceship in Sims 3. That's really great thing to have some fun with
Lab Assistant
#234 Old 1st Nov 2020 at 2:55 AM
Hm? Oh, I don't think the aliens are the absolute worst in the Sims 4, I simply think that they're very limited in comparison to the Sims 3. I mean, I too think the disguise feature in the Sims 4 is pretty damn neat. I just think that compared to the Sims 3 they're lacking. Not by much, mind you, but still lacking. The scope with them just isn't that big, and that doesn't make them bad, just different.

Scholar
#235 Old 1st Nov 2020 at 4:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by peno
What problem do you have with aliens in Sims 4? I can't comment much on the vampires and witches, since I don't have the appropriate GPs and I did not play much with mermaids yet, but I have to admit the main reason why I've bought Get to Work were aliens and so far I can't tell I am disappointed. I love aliens in Sims 3, but I love them in Sims 4 either. They are different but not in a bad thing. What I like in Sims 4 is the disguise and the fact that normal Sims react to aliens in their alien form. That I consider improvement from Sims 3, where other Sims acted like aliens are totally normal and nothing unusual. I don't know about you, but if bald green man or woman with echoing voice appeared at my door, I wouldn't just happily invited them inside, like my Sims in Sims 3 tends to do. On the other hand, I just love the spaceship in Sims 3. That's really great thing to have some fun with

Sims 3 was sort of going with a true blood type, Occults are out in the open type thing. Everyone knows Occults exist. Supernatural Skeptics are sort of an exception.

If you like my mods. Consider supporting me on Patreon
Check out my website for updates on my mods and other work PuddingFace.wixsite.com
Check out my Youtube channel for tutorials(modding tutorials) and other content Youtube

Follow me on Twitter Instagram Pinterest Tumblr
Lab Assistant
#236 Old 5th Nov 2020 at 8:45 PM
Oh yeah! I forgot about that!

I have to say that I do take a lot of enjoyment in the whole debacle of "What happened to the state of supernatural from the Sims 3 to 2 to 1? They're roaming free in the Sims 3 carefree and all, but they're very secretive in the Sims 1 and 2? What happened? What is this mystery?"

I adore the lore of the sims and will forever be upset that they basically did away with it in the Sims 4.

Scholar
#237 Old 5th Nov 2020 at 8:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LittleCheshire
Oh yeah! I forgot about that!

I have to say that I do take a lot of enjoyment in the whole debacle of "What happened to the state of supernatural from the Sims 3 to 2 to 1? They're roaming free in the Sims 3 carefree and all, but they're very secretive in the Sims 1 and 2? What happened? What is this mystery?"

I adore the lore of the sims and will forever be upset that they basically did away with it in the Sims 4.

I think canonically only Moonlight falls is supposed to have free roaming supernaturals and maybe Midnight hollow. In other towns they were supposed to stay in hiding.

Why I think this is because Sims 3 and 2 are supposed to be in the same universe.

But now that I think about it. Witches and werewolves and Vampires seem to come out in openly in Sims 2 as well. Am I misremembering?

Check out my website for updates on my mods and other work PuddingFace.wixsite.com
Check out my Youtube channel for tutorials(modding tutorials) and other content Youtube

Lab Assistant
#238 Old 6th Nov 2020 at 1:25 AM
No you are not miss remembering. There is absolutely nothing in TS2 to indicate that sims society is unaware of the Supernatural. None of the premade supernaturals bios talk about their lifestate being a secret, sims frequently wish to or fear being turn into a supernatural ect. The only game where there is any hint of secrecy around it is TS making magic where sims could be fined for performing magic in front of sims who didnt also possess a wand (ie non magical sims)
Other wise I think TS2&3 leave it up to the player whether society is aware/ accepting of magic and the supernatural. Personaly I prefer it that way. While the disguise/finding out about alien thing can be cool It really kind of ties the setting to modern reality and can be awkward if your trying to setup say a futuristic or fantasy setting.
I mean Imagine having a Kirk sim freak out because he found out his love interest is an alien.
Test Subject
#240 Old 6th Nov 2020 at 9:21 PM
TS3 is the peak of the sims series for me. it's innovative, and builds on TS2's features, and imo without that kind of progression, simulation games are just blah. i've never played TS4 and I don't plan on it. the only interesting thing about it are some of the mods (WW, basemental's mods, life tragedies, etc.)

i blame the shoddy coding of TS2 and TS3 on EA being so profit-driven.
Lab Assistant
#241 Old 7th Nov 2020 at 6:59 AM
To be fair to the Sims 4 though, it builds on some things and is innovative in it's own way as well. See: most of the occults. But in the end it's the Sims 4's huge lack in foundational innovation that is it's downfall. It keeps adding on to the base when it is the foundation that needs to be fixed. In comparison to the past games, the Sims 2 had an excellent foundation, and the Sims 3 had a pretty decent one.

Lab Assistant
#242 Old 8th Nov 2020 at 10:12 PM
Okay, so I'm marking this down here for my future topic/thread of "Cat & Dog behavior across Sims 3 and 4; My Personal Observations" so I don't forget:

Silas, the puppy of the founder of my Sims 3 Enchantacy Legacy, became an adult dog probably a few days ago in-game time. I'm not really sure, It's been a good couple of months since I loaded this save. But, I noticed that he was absolutely obsessed with the ball I got him to play with. Now, I know he has the playful trait, so his strong desire to have fun was understood, and I know he has the independent trait, so his strong desire to play by himself was understood. The thing is, we have a toy box! It's routable, I tested it so I know he can get to the box. I even strew the dog toys around the house and made sure he could pick them up and play with them. He just...preferred the ball.

Listen, I'm not saying the pets in the Sims 3 develop actual obsessions as they do in the Sims 4, but I just find it pretty interesting and very fun to know that if all three of my cats and all four of my kittens are in the kitchen/living room eating the dinner I laid out for them, and I can't find Silas anywhere in the house, all I have to do is take a look into the backyard and see him tripping over his favorite ball.

Test Subject
#243 Old 10th Nov 2020 at 1:25 AM
I think this thread title is wrong, it's supposed to be 'sims 4'

But I don't get it why people say sims 3 is bad? This thread is too long so I can't read it everything, but I just wanted to say why when sims 4 was launched a lot of sims 2 fans (that said they would never stopped playing sims 2 because it's the best) started playing sims 4? Hypocritical too much? I don't get why people just skipped sims 3. And they say that sims 3 has performance issues but sims 2 has the neighbourhood corruption that is the worst imo, I didn't know about this when I first played sims 2 and now that I know it playing sims 2 isn't the same anymore (having to do backups of my sims and the fear of losing them is the worst) but I still like sims 2.
Mad Poster
#244 Old 10th Nov 2020 at 1:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kamirura
But I don't get it why people say sims 3 is bad? ...

3 is my absolute favorite. But as I said way back when, this topic was beaten to death years ago, and all of us just need to play the game we want to play and not care/worry about what others play.
Lab Assistant
#245 Old 10th Nov 2020 at 9:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kamirura
I think this thread title is wrong, it's supposed to be 'sims 4'

But I don't get it why people say sims 3 is bad? This thread is too long so I can't read it everything, but I just wanted to say why when sims 4 was launched a lot of sims 2 fans (that said they would never stopped playing sims 2 because it's the best) started playing sims 4? Hypocritical too much? I don't get why people just skipped sims 3. And they say that sims 3 has performance issues but sims 2 has the neighbourhood corruption that is the worst imo, I didn't know about this when I first played sims 2 and now that I know it playing sims 2 isn't the same anymore (having to do backups of my sims and the fear of losing them is the worst) but I still like sims 2.

I dont think its that hypocritical. 2 and 3 are best suited to different playstyles. Most of the people who stuck with 2 after 3's release are rotational players. While its not impossible to play 3 rotationally doing so can be difficult and has some strong downsides. While mods such as awesome mod or nrass can be used to overcome these, setting this mods up to behave as the player wants can be complicated and overwhelming. So it was simply easier for these players to stick with 2.
TS4 however somewhat bridges the playstyles of 2 and 3 allowing the player to choose of they want to focus on a single household or if they want to play rotationally. Thus allowing rotational players to move on to a more modern game and still allow them to play their preferred way.
Mad Poster
#246 Old 11th Nov 2020 at 1:44 AM Last edited by jje1000 : 11th Nov 2020 at 4:55 AM.
I think the greatest flaw of TS3 is its relative lack of deep moddability.

No, not worlds, NRAAS, or CC- which utilize the rules of the game instead of rewriting them- as wonderful as they are, these are only waist-deep. What I mean is the stuff currently locked inside the core game files, which are still untouchable even after all these years. Core gameplay, shaders, scenarios, etc.

Imagine if the game was a bit more forgiving in that regards, like Skyrim- if it even had a native modding toolkit. One could only imagine what huge, groundbreaking overhaul mods might have been possible in its 11 years of existence...
Lab Assistant
#247 Old 11th Nov 2020 at 7:44 AM
Oh man, do I agree. It wasn't long ago that I heard PleasantSims say that if you can think of a mod for the Sims 2, it most likely exists, and that the Sims 3 comes up short in this regard. I'm inclined to agree with her. I have seen so, so many downright amazing mods made for the Sims 4, and I use to tirelessly wonder why the Sims 3 had so few mods in this regard when so many people still play it...until I stepped into the modding pool myself.

One could say that since I'm a beginning modder I have no horse in this race, but I'm not necessarily talking about skill, here. I've spent a good amount of time just surfing though files and code, and I'm saying that the Sims 3 isn't very mod friendly. Modding is very much possible, but at this current time it is so, so limited. Jje said it themselves, there are things, and mostly key things, that for whatever reason are just locked away where none of us can get to them.

(Seriously, what the fuck is up with that?)

Instructor
#248 Old 12th Nov 2020 at 3:29 AM
Honestly none of the games were the downfall of the Sims games, EA is the downfall of the Sims games, and pretty much any they touch.
Test Subject
#249 Old 12th Nov 2020 at 11:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Jathom95
Kind of a loaded question I know, but I want to know what people think about this statement.

As many of you probably remember, TS3 had a fairly vocal margin of people at the beginning who were not fond of the direction it was taking. This had a lot to do with mechanics, performance wasn't a huge issue yet with the lack of packs but it was still there. But for all the things TS3 tried to do differently from previous Sims games, I feel as though a lot of criticisms directed at TS3 were unfair. I'll note that out of respect for others' opinions I don't want to tear anyone apart for what they enjoy. Just want to throw out what I've noticed over the years.

Take Story Progression, something we'd never seen before and likely never will in any official capacity again. The ability to simulate an entire town of Sims that live their own lives independent of your own Sims. I was so blown away by this. It wasn't the first game I'd seen with multitudes of NPCs, but it was the first where you could see them all being actively simulated at the same time. Many people that enjoyed rotational play felt left out, and several people skipped TS3 altogether because it simply didn't offer what they wanted. That itself is fine. What did EA do though? Instead of trying to improve on it, they dropped it altogether. Same with CASt, hugely innovative for The Sims and we're likely to not see it, or at least something as advanced as TS3's take, again. Were these features absolutely perfect? No, of course not. But there should be something said for those that did enjoy these features. And the one thing that I do get tired of seeing is people throwing both of these in the bin to excuse EA's laziness. I can understand not using a feature much, but saying "No one used it much anyway" or "SP and CASt were stupid features that always lagged anyway." isn't good criticism. It's just telling EA that they can get away with charging more for less.

Also, and this is a big one with me, I feel like TS3's technical problems are blown waaaaay out of proportion in the sense that people push the game as being literally, and I mean literally, unplayable. I've spoken with enough people here to know that isn't the case for everyone. I don't claim that TS3 doesn't have issues. It is probably the single worst optimized/spaghetti-coded game I've ever seen, but I love it in spite of those flaws. Many tout TS1/2 as the golden years of The Sims. TS1 definitely had the difficulty and quirkiness factor. TS2 was a great game as well, but this is where my point begins. I used to get so tired of seeing this, because everyone seems to conveniently forget that god-tier TS2 was prone to all sorts of problems that could permanently destroy your game, and as someone with anxiety issues, that's not a great thing to have lingering over your head. Corruption issues plagued TS2, yet TS3 is always seen as the point where everything started falling apart. Now, with TS4 there are hundreds of issues that still haven't been resolved, simulation lag is rampant, Sims drop actions from the queue, and TS3 is still thrown under the bus. By the actual developers on top of that!

I guess what I'm really getting at here is that is TS3 always doomed to be the odd one out in The Sims, or has it gained more appreciation over the years? Do you think some people have never tried it because they were scared away? Let me know what you think.

I still play the sims 3 daily, explicitly because it's open world. I would play sims 4, if i could find a mod to make it open world... i hate sitting through loading screens when sending sims into town...
Scholar
#250 Old 13th Nov 2020 at 6:18 AM Last edited by PuddingFace : 13th Nov 2020 at 6:34 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by devicemodder1
I still play the sims 3 daily, explicitly because it's open world. I would play sims 4, if i could find a mod to make it open world... i hate sitting through loading screens when sending sims into town...

Sims 4 has an open world mod now. Which is pretty cool. Only one town is open world though. Keep that in mind. It's a pretty big town however. It's more of a city actually.

Page 10 of 12