Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Dec 2020 at 11:46 AM
Semi Open-World with Apartment Life
In AL we can create separate houses in one lost, and have different family using the different home. I wonder if there is any way to make so you can have more than 4 families in one apartment lots, and make custom lot size so you can make many house within one lots.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 16th Dec 2020 at 11:58 AM
I've got apartments that were built with more than 4 units though now only 4 of them can ever be occupied at any one time because I also have a no NPC neighbors Mod that stops the game from moving in NPC's.It means the other units remain empty unless I moved my own townies in and they get played in the rotations.I just use the larger lot sizes available in the game and I've got a few trailer park builds that are apartment lot zoned that were my own custom builds as I could never use the EA built apartments.
Forum Resident
#3 Old 16th Dec 2020 at 2:51 PM
No offence, but I'd just like to um... leave this here
Screenshots
Forum Resident
#4 Old 16th Dec 2020 at 3:53 PM
I tried that some time ago with 4 houses on the same lot, but I put in dorm doors and changed over the lot to a dorm. Big mistake for me. Not only did it cause glitch problems but also sim behavioral problems as well such as overriding the no jealousy hack I had and made everyone bitter enemies. Maybe it might work better if I just made the whole lot as an Apt. complex instead of a dorm. I might try the apartment approach in the future to see if the no jealousy hack is unaffected..
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 17th Dec 2020 at 12:11 AM
Can we make lots with custom size? I want to make the apartment lot big so I can make park, restaurant, shopping, house in one lots.
Alchemist
#6 Old 17th Dec 2020 at 2:05 AM
The largest 5x6 size is basically it. You can use the lot adjuster to expand a lot to 6x6, but then that means you're building over the road.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 17th Dec 2020 at 2:07 AM
You can make smaller lots and some custom sizes with the lot adjustor, or by downloading various lot sizes. There's custom tiny empty lots available, and I think I've seen a few sets with some of the "missing" variants of larger lots, too. Can't remember where, but possibly here on MTS.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 17th Dec 2020 at 2:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Disil07
Can we make lots with custom size? I want to make the apartment lot big so I can make park, restaurant, shopping, house in one lots.

I have one uploaded with 4 large houses, shop, gym, pool and a small playground, but be warned it may lag like 12 grandmas crossing the road.
https://modthesims.info/d/533994/wa...-community.html

The game can do smaller lots at custom sizes not larger and you may find playing the large lots simply not worth it because of how they can lag- unless your computer is a beast.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 17th Dec 2020 at 9:58 AM
Now I'm curious to try this, an "open world-ish" neighborhood with many big lots that are a mix of houses and community lots, my PC may be powerful enough to handle it.

Slowly moving steps into basic TS2 modding.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 17th Dec 2020 at 10:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ConsoC
Now I'm curious to try this, an "open world-ish" neighborhood with many big lots that are a mix of houses and community lots, my PC may be powerful enough to handle it.

Yeah I looking for it too xD
Mad Poster
#11 Old 18th Dec 2020 at 6:13 PM
I've got a computer more than capable of handling a lot including loaded lots with tons of sims now though I don't have that because I set it up to block that in my BACC as it's a newly started town and hasn't grown very large yet.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 18th Dec 2020 at 8:43 PM
A few of my biggest apartment lots (Cyberpunk, Puerto Simulado, Stormwall, Inequality, Westfall) were built with the idea that they'd be at least somewhat in this general direction... it can definitely be fun to play, but it does pretty much always seem to demand BIG lots, so you need a similarly big graphics card to do it justice...

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Alchemist
#13 Old 19th Dec 2020 at 3:48 PM
I've been thinking about trying this for awhile, but I haven't had time yet. Keep in mind that any businesses you have on an apartment lot won't function like a regular one. If you build a skyscraper with luxury apartments and a five star restaurant on the first floor, only Sims who live in that block of the open world will be able to go there, unless they're invited by a resident of that block.

I was going to stick to adding things like little corner stores to apartment lots, where the only feature is that they're close to home, so I wouldn't ever want to have a Sim visit unless they lived on the block. Then maybe have an expensive district where snobby Sims could live and it'd make sense for them to have exclusive clubs that are only for the Sims wealthy enough to live there.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 20th Dec 2020 at 4:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by sugoisama
No offence, but I'd just like to um... leave this here

Yeah if you a 2008 potato computer.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Mad Poster
#15 Old 20th Dec 2020 at 5:15 PM
@HarVee -Tat post and the quote sound like what was almost true of my older laptop from 2007 which was XP and wasn't a high end computer like the one I'm using now which was a higher end macine when it was new and it still runs this game easily even with a few other minor programs running like sometimes a screen recorder and usually Paint is running for my screenshots.
I've got a few big apartments with tons of green energy sources on them and it's had little or no affect on my game which dosen't even slow down unless I paused it manually.
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 21st Dec 2020 at 8:29 AM
About hardware - even my machine (GTX 1060 with 6GB vram, and Amd Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core, so not all bad) sometimes has slowdowns when there's many props in a single screen, so it's not something to gloss over if you ask me.

Mad Poster
#17 Old 21st Dec 2020 at 5:09 PM
I have had slowdowns on the rare occasions when I forgot to switch my computer into high performance mode or to turn off a pwoer saver before laoding the game though that's very rare since I usually remember to switch modes and activate my booster program before loading my game.
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 21st Jan 2021 at 10:29 AM
Apologies for resurrecting this thread (I hope mods won't be mad at me!) but I actually tried to create some kind of open map with the "shops on apartments" mod, and I wanted to share the results.
I hope the images get linked properly.

Introducing Wellstack Village, I used the biggest lot in the game and added a mix of apartments, community buildings and shops.

After some loading time and a black screen the game is playable for more than two minutes... If you put graphics to low. Originally I tried to play this with max graphics (If I remember right I also installed Gunmod's Radiance Light mod) and the game crashed in less than two minutes, but with everything to minimum minus lightning to mid the game ran without crashing for a couple minutes. I'm not a very dedicated TS2 player so I just took a bunch of screenshots and quit.

I purposefully made the lot cramped to stress test the game, perhaps with more considerate stuff going on per lot it will be easier on the system.

A final observation is that the crashing may be related to textures, the moment I increased textures to high quality the game crashed.

Forum Resident
#19 Old 21st Jan 2021 at 1:45 PM
Is your computer okay
Mad Poster
#20 Old 21st Jan 2021 at 5:14 PM
Any apartment building I make with more than four rental units will have the units all stay empty unless I move a household in even if I made them as a playable townie household.I've got a Mod that disabled NPC neighbors being moved in.
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 21st Jan 2021 at 8:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sugoisama
Is your computer okay

Oh he's fine, he's seen way worse. I'm fairly sure the crash is caused on an application level and not an hardware level

Quote: Originally posted by terula8
You can't place more than four playable families in a single apartment building in the sims 2. No matter how many apartments you build, you will only ever be able to play four families within a single apartment lot. The rest of the apartments you've built will be filled with townies, or empty if you have none.

When I think of lots like this the idea is to have also some NPCs around to act as "townies" of sorts, do some bigger and better apartments for your playables and make smaller places for the NPCs. They never spawn as families, only as single sims right?

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#22 Old 21st Jan 2021 at 10:22 PM
This is the issue with these type of lots, if your computer can't handle them they will crash or just lag horribly.

Townie neighbours are always single sims. I use no townie neighbours as I would rather all the families living there be playable.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
#23 Old 22nd Jan 2021 at 7:25 AM
I try to limit my apartment lots to only the 4 playable units (which is also good because then I get to play all the units) and that really cuts down on the lag. Even with the apartment lot business mod and NPCs. And instead of one big lot, I have multiple lots all kind of Tetrised together so it looks more integrated than it is. This is 4 separate lots, with 4 apartments per lot. Would it be cool to have an open world, or at least a giant 6X6 apartment lot to mimic it? Sure. But I'd prefer to have a game that doesn't make my fan sound like a jet engine, and prioritize game play.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#24 Old 22nd Jan 2021 at 7:40 AM
@ConsoC -My townies in apartments spawn as couples,families or singles because they're made in CAS and moved into the complex though randomized in CAS to pretend their game generated because I use a global Mod to disable the game's forcing NPC townies into the empty units so I get forced to move townies in manually from the bin.
@joandsarah77 -I also use that Mod to stop the random NPC neighbors though townie neoghbors are still generated for my apartments in CAS as playable households and moved in though unitls can and will also remain empty if there's not many sims attempting to move in.I prefer to use playable households as townies and have those move in and get played with like all other families in town.