Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Sep 2009 at 4:02 AM
Default A Fresh Start (Based on the Harvest Sims challenge)
Chapter 1 - Introductions & Settling In

Hi, my name's Flash. Flash Calder. Welcome to my new life. Yes, new life. You see, I was born far away from here, nowhere you'd know I'm sure, and, well, I kinda ran with the wrong crowd as a teenager. Ended up disowned by my mother and in and out of jail a few times. But that's in the past now. My late uncle Simon apparently left me a small farm out in Sunset Valley in his will and, since I only have $500 in the bank, now's as good a time to start over as any.

The taxi driver dropped me off around the corner from my new home, claiming the road was too rough for his new taxi. Saved a dollar or so on the fare, so I wasn't going to call him out for being a liar.

Walking up, I couldn't see the house or the fields for the trees lining the fence, but there certainly seems to be a good amount of land.

So why was that driver laughing fit to bust his gut as he drove away?

Oh... Ah... Alright, so I was expecting something a little larger when I thought of a farm house. I can manage. It's a good deal roomer then a prison cell after all. And the shower is private and the toilet isn't right next to my pillow. This could be far worse. I have to wonder about the lack of a kitchen though. No wonder uncle Si stayed thin! He apparently never ate.

After getting over my surprise with the house, err, cabin rather, I braced myself and went out to inspect the fields. They were in better shape then I expected. Apparently someone's taken care of the place after Uncle Si headed off to work the graveyard shift.

... Yeah, sorry. That was bad.

After a quick stop at the grocery store for some apple seeds, I got my hands into my new job. They're a friendly lot at the store. Very welcoming, really. Assured me they're open day and night, "just like those big city stores".

Don't let anyone tell you living in the country is cheap though. $5 a seed! And pizza is $50! These crops better start growing soon or I'm going to be joining Uncle Si.

This lovely lady is River. We met while I was taking advantage of the full moon to hunt for wild plants to harvest. Gotta keep a few dollars in my pockets after all.

Anyway, we got very close, after a few more 'accidental' midnight meetings. I've always had a talent with the ladies, if I do say so myself.

See? The old Calder charm wins again. A few kisses under the full moon, some hand holding... Magic. Before midnight we were agreeing to go steady together.

She could be desperate, but I'd rather think I'm just that good. Anyway, we agreed we wouldn't take it any farther for a bit. After all, I do have a farm to get started and she has to ease her parents into the idea of their little girl leaving home.

Not too shabby for my first week of farm life. Gotta get those crops to hurry up though if I want to expand the house. I can't expect River to even consider moving into a one room cabin without a kitchen.