Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Part-time Hermit
#176 Old 6th Apr 2006 at 8:46 PM
You will have to install DirectX 9c that there is a link to at the SimPE download page .
Advertisement
Test Subject
#177 Old 6th Apr 2006 at 8:48 PM
i have direct x 9 something is seriously wrong here

Lifes A B**** Then you Marry One Then you Die
Part-time Hermit
#178 Old 6th Apr 2006 at 8:50 PM
Just try downloading and installing that file, anyway .
Test Subject
#179 Old 6th Apr 2006 at 8:51 PM
ok thanks why did it make me reinstall it lol :P

Lifes A B**** Then you Marry One Then you Die
Lab Assistant
#180 Old 6th Apr 2006 at 9:56 PM Last edited by TheSims2freak : 6th Apr 2006 at 10:14 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Lethe_s
Sims2freak
yup, they're inverted
I explained in post 134 how to fix that

it happens when you scale too far in blender, it'll turn the shape 'inside out'
what I do to avoid it, is stay zoomed in far enough, so you see how the scaling progresses
also, keep the scale line (the dotted line thingy) long enough,
this means you'll need to keep the pointer further away from your mesh
a longer scale line gives you much more control over how far you're scaling

I did stay zoomed in and watched the scale line, with it far away. It never went smaller than the Maxis mesh, so I don't know what's up.

Okay, I went into the mesh and saw that the normals WERE flipped, so I fixed them. THanks to anyone who helped me, especially Lethe_S.

NEW! LESS SUCKS SIGNATURE!

COLOR TAGS ACTUALLY REMOVED!
#181 Old 7th Apr 2006 at 3:15 PM
Is it a requirement to download something?
*shrugs*
retired moderator
#182 Old 7th Apr 2006 at 5:41 PM Last edited by maybesomethingdunno : 8th Apr 2006 at 3:55 AM.
Default Please help with various attributes (very complex series of questions, sorry)
I also apologize if this should be put some other place. I'm at page 27 of 47 of the second part of the Wings 3D start to finish tutorial in which you must set the price in the RAW Data tab. I'd like to set other specific qualities to my object as well. 1) There's "price", "sale price", "initial depreciation", "daily depreciation", "self depreciation", and "depreciation limit". I know I am to edit "price" but what about "sale price"? Also, I'd like this object to appreciate over time (just like paintings that a Sim makes which I've read increase in value if the Sim dies). Would I set one of the depreciation attributes to a negative number? I've cloned a decrative object so that I could have the animations related to "viewing"; this brings me to my next set of questions. 2) I'd like for the Sim to use the "view" interaction when using the object (I'll want to change the text in the pie menu later) specifically that "hmmmm" gesture in which the Sim puts their hand on their chin for as long as or as often as possible (I intend on this being a skill-gaining object with a high environment score). What, if anything, should I set for the "Look At Score", "ratingFun", "ratingRoom", and "ratingSkillFlags" attributes?
Thanks in advance and sorry for being a handful :P
At this point, I'm considering giving somebody everything I've done so far and ask them to finish it for me.

Added: One of my problems is that I don't know how to "continue" a project. I will follow the tutorial until I get stuck or have a question....then by the time I've gotten the answer and/or worked out the problem, either SimPE has produced an error message telling me that it will either ignore the unhandled exception or will terminate (in fear of what has happend, I tell it to terminate) or I'm force to log off of the computer that I'm on. Thus, I'm forced to start over, since I don't know how to continue from where I left off. This time I just had to log off of my computer. If someone would be so kind as to tell me how to pick up where I left off (in addition to answering my questions), I'd appreciate it. I believe I've already done the new GUID part and it says in SimPE that the "object was created and loaded". Thanks.

I don't mind if you call me "MSD" or something for short.
Tumblr
Perhaps someday I'll have leisure time back...
Test Subject
#183 Old 7th Apr 2006 at 5:47 PM
i need help with create my own objects....someone???
Test Subject
#184 Old 7th Apr 2006 at 10:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TheSims2freak
I did stay zoomed in and watched the scale line, with it far away. It never went smaller than the Maxis mesh, so I don't know what's up.

Okay, I went into the mesh and saw that the normals WERE flipped, so I fixed them. THanks to anyone who helped me, especially Lethe_S.

Ditto here, Lethe_s. My cylindrical legs are actually all there! :baloons:

Here's my site: Spirited Sims
Test Subject
#185 Old 7th Apr 2006 at 11:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Spirit of the Sims
nickbadal: You used Wings 3d. Did you resize the object using the Maxis item as a base?

Yes i did
Part-time Hermit
#186 Old 8th Apr 2006 at 7:44 AM
firewolf383, first you will need to download the tutorial, and then the tutorial will tell you which programs to download.

elinmalman, please be more specific about what you need help with exactly. Have you tried to a follow this tutorial but ran into problems with it? What kind of problems?
Test Subject
#187 Old 8th Apr 2006 at 8:23 AM
nickbadal: I did some checking, and that is an error message generated by Direct X. Which version do you have?

Test Subject
#188 Old 8th Apr 2006 at 11:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by IgnorantBliss
firewolf383, first you will need to download the tutorial, and then the tutorial will tell you which programs to download.

elinmalman, please be more specific about what you need help with exactly. Have you tried to a follow this tutorial but ran into problems with it? What kind of problems?

i dont understand how to download wins3d. i know a site where you can download it but i´m not that good at english....( i´m swedish...)
Test Subject
#189 Old 8th Apr 2006 at 12:19 PM
elinmalman: if it's the main site, all you have to do is download the version for the type of operating system you have.

Windows, MacIntosh, or Linux. (win, mac, linux--as abbreviated on the site.) Just click on the correct link.

Test Subject
#190 Old 9th Apr 2006 at 2:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Spirit of the Sims
nickbadal: I did some checking, and that is an error message generated by Direct X. Which version do you have?

I have version 9.0c
The ModFather
retired moderator
#191 Old 9th Apr 2006 at 9:37 AM
Nickbadal, Katie and anyone interested: SimPE uses a special version of the DirectX, called "Managed DirectX 9.0c"; it can be found at the main SimPE download page, as suggested by IgnorantBliss.

Maybesomethingdunno - SimPE is still in alpha stage, and therefore it may be unstable. When you get the error message, with the option to Ignore and Terminate, always choose Ignore, save the package and restart SimPE; this way, at least, you won't lose the work you have done since last saving.

The other questions are off-topic here (this thread is reserved for questions about the tutorial). But anyway, here is a brief explanation: I'm giving you some hints, but - as usual - I can't explain everything; I expect you to examine your object, examine similar objects and try to understand by yourself what can and what can't be done.

As for the questions about the Object Data parameters, what you ask can't be done just editing them. The "Ratings" included in the Object Data are purely cosmetic: the "real" values are set in the BHAVs, especially the ability to gain skills.
The only thing you can do with the OBJD is to set the prices (buy, sale, depreciation etc); and yes, you *can* set a negative depreciation
With regards to renaming the "View" interaction, it is contained in the Semiglobals and managed vie BHAVs: you have to import the Pie Menu from the semiglobals and then edit the Text List that contains the "View" label.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Test Subject
#192 Old 9th Apr 2006 at 12:28 PM
I made it all the way through the tutorial in about an hour with the Wings3D version. Everything in the tutorial was spot on.

Thanks!!!!

Don Spencer, Phoenix, AZ
--------------------------------------------
Completed careers: Nursing, Vampire Hunter
Repackaged careers: Pro Poker
Forum Resident
#193 Old 9th Apr 2006 at 3:29 PM
thanks so much J_Woods it has helped me make my first mesh
http://modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=147317

Please dont request anything to be made, but I dont mind suggestions/ideas. :)
Lab Assistant
#194 Old 9th Apr 2006 at 4:27 PM Last edited by cwin1024 : 9th Apr 2006 at 4:36 PM. Reason: wanted to add more
uvmapper question
thank you so much for this tutorial. I created my first table! whoohoo!

But now I'm confused as to where to begin to create another object like a chair or counter, because I want to make an entire kitchen set. The only thing I don't understand is in uv mapper, how do I know what size the bmp needs to be for certain objects. I know you have answered a question like this already, but can you tell me how I know what size the object is? is there somewhere that tells you that?

Also, are there anymore tutorials for object making with milkshape, like one for if you already read this tutorial? I'm stuck in a rut and the only thing I can make is a table...lol.
Part-time Hermit
#195 Old 9th Apr 2006 at 5:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by cwin1024

But now I'm confused as to where to begin to create another object like a chair or counter, because I want to make an entire kitchen set. The only thing I don't understand is in uv mapper, how do I know what size the bmp needs to be for certain objects. I know you have answered a question like this already, but can you tell me how I know what size the object is? is there somewhere that tells you that?

Also, are there anymore tutorials for object making with milkshape, like one for if you already read this tutorial? I'm stuck in a rut and the only thing I can make is a table...lol.

If you want the texture size to be the same as the original object's, after cloning the package you can just open up the texture image and see what the size is. The pixel dimensions are listed on the left. You can also export the texture image into a paint program and check the size there. But the texture (and therefore the uv-map bmp size) doesn't need to be the same as the original's if you use the DDS Utilities. Then, when you import your own texture, you use the Build DXT option, and you can export different sizes (but it can't be any size, the dimensions have to be 64, 128, 256, 512 or 1024 pixels).

For the Milkshape tutorials, there can't be a tutorial for each and every type of object separately, but there are general (non-Sims 2 related) tutorials online that you can go through to learn the basics of meshing. A Google search should bring up some.
Test Subject
#196 Old 9th Apr 2006 at 5:29 PM
I think i already have it because when i downloaded it it said click remove to uninstall
*shrugs*
retired moderator
#197 Old 9th Apr 2006 at 6:57 PM Last edited by maybesomethingdunno : 9th Apr 2006 at 7:06 PM.
Thank you, Numenor. You have my most sincerest apologies for posting in the wrong place. I'm sorry.

I don't mind if you call me "MSD" or something for short.
Tumblr
Perhaps someday I'll have leisure time back...
Lab Assistant
#198 Old 9th Apr 2006 at 8:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by IgnorantBliss
MissWendy, if you PM me your email address, I can try emailing the first part of the Milkshape tutorial to you .

Can you do that for me too?
Part-time Hermit
#199 Old 9th Apr 2006 at 8:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Basil131
Can you do that for me too?

Yes, if you give me your email address
Lab Assistant
#200 Old 10th Apr 2006 at 2:55 AM
in Simpe, what do all of the options under "clone" mean and how do you know what should be checked and what not, according to what object you are cloning?
Page 8 of 58