Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Rabid Recoloring Renegade
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Jan 2010 at 5:20 PM
Default Project Hyrule -- The Great Deku Tree
So, we've had some ideas bouncing around to get this project started. I had every intention of putting this creation on the smallest lot possible, so as not to take up too much room. Revenger, however, ok'd a 64x64, so if we need to expand, and we will, there are no worries about how big to make it.

The thoughts I've had are to create the Tree out of the ground itself, using lots of terrain paint, and having a few levels of tomb-like area to explore. I'm going to include my scratch start pictures here, but keep in mind that this is going to change considerably as I now have the ok to increase the size.

Now that the tree is going to be that much bigger, I am quite likely going to be changing my game plan.

Now, Revenger doesn't want custom content if we can help it. That's where the idea to create the tree out of the ground came from. Lord only knows how we'll get the face on, but that's probably going to come later. Of course, if you have any ideas about any of this, we're more than happy to listen.

I'm looking at using the olive tree from WA for the branches and leaves. The trunk of the olive tree is really nice and open, and the size of the tree itself will fill up the top of the tree. Of course, if necessary, we can always call on the old oak tree for filler in the leaves area.

So, here's my rough first draft - and once again, remember, this is only the basic form of the plan.

Screenshots
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 19th Jan 2010 at 5:25 PM
ah here you are
retired moderator
Original Poster
#3 Old 19th Jan 2010 at 5:28 PM
Scholar
#4 Old 19th Jan 2010 at 5:40 PM Last edited by candlelight82 : 19th Jan 2010 at 6:07 PM.
is it possible to use only grey and dark brown color on the roots?... like in the game screenshot,..
think that would match better with the trunk...
i know its sad that the game auto generates the grey rock texture..
retired moderator
Original Poster
#5 Old 19th Jan 2010 at 5:53 PM
I agree. You can probably see where I started using some dark grey and light brown, and, you're right, I need to experiment more with the different colors.

Also, R mentioned he wants the foyer worked in, so I'm hoping to make the tree much bigger to accomodate that.

And I need to figure out as soon as possible, how to make the land completely encase the first level and opening structure. I don't want to get too far in with something like what I've got, and realize the process requires me to start fresh. I don't think I'd be too happy :-)
Scholar
#6 Old 19th Jan 2010 at 6:09 PM
why not,... R made me flatten my lot triply
Test Subject
#7 Old 19th Jan 2010 at 6:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Simmiller
Also, R mentioned he wants the foyer worked in, so I'm hoping to make the tree much bigger to accomodate that.

And I need to figure out as soon as possible, how to make the land completely encase the first level and opening structure. I don't want to get too far in with something like what I've got, and realize the process requires me to start fresh. I don't think I'd be too happy :-)

That's if it can be done you could build a foyer etc house then raise the land around it though that leaves you with a gap all around but itll give the illusion.

Then taking it further you can cover the gaps on the top floor with shrubs etc with move objects.

But that covers most of it apart from the front which will show the wall etc and is probably all you can do in game .

But using CAW you can absolute position rocks other world objects such as shrubs etc over the lot to fill in the remaining gaps.

That should take care of the rest.

Look at my cave to see a example of this.
#8 Old 19th Jan 2010 at 6:18 PM
Basement tool?

This Space Intentionally Left Blank
Test Subject
#9 Old 19th Jan 2010 at 6:36 PM Last edited by Revenger : 20th Jan 2010 at 2:02 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by GeneralOperationsDirector
Basement tool?

That would come in handy for lower levels but not the foyer to the foundation which goes underground which is above ground.

Here is what I mean.

Black is walls.
Red is foundation which gives that drop to underground like in the game
Brown is ground.
Blue is CAW world objects placed over the lot to hide gaps.
Green is trees and shrubs with 'Move Objects' Cheat bridging the gap at top.

That's if this can be done.

I'd want to basically test the idea first though.

And custom wallpaper for the front wall so we don't need as much rocks etc covering it.

The sides of the mountain at the front could use in game plants etc to cover that up.
Screenshots
retired moderator
Original Poster
#10 Old 20th Jan 2010 at 12:09 AM
Sorry, we had a power outage and I couldnt come on. Now, my keyboard is messed up, and I cant make the apostrophe, it keeps making this è and È. Just a bit of help would be greatly appreciated. I dont ever use other languages, so this is not in my brain files.

Okay, R, that is basically what I had hoped to do. However, if you look at the dragon maw in China, they have it completely covered. Now, in the geoblending tutorial, they say you cant geoblend walls. So, rocks would be my next choice.

Im going to have to go back into the game to see what Im talking about :-)
Test Subject
#11 Old 20th Jan 2010 at 6:23 AM
Custom wallpaper that matched the terrain would be my bet.
Scholar
#12 Old 20th Jan 2010 at 3:19 PM
yeah that sounds good.

Sirius Black: Escaped Azkaban, Outran Dementors, Outwitted Ministry, Killed by Drapery
Where I've been hiding...
Test Subject
#13 Old 20th Jan 2010 at 3:52 PM
Was thinking once you get the main foyer etc done you can create basement levels with traps chests etc to give a feel of the dungeon.

Of course we cant do a exact recreation but a alternative made up version would be nice.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#14 Old 20th Jan 2010 at 5:30 PM
Ah ha ha ha ha!!!!!

I was working on that very idea. Great minds think alike.

Anyway, here's some shots of the tree inside and out. I obviously haven't finished yet, but the dungeon type feel is what I'm going for. And the 2nd floor is not true to the map due to space.

BTW, I'm having trouble putting stairs in the basement levels. Any thoughts?

Oh, and don't mind the lighting, I haven't come close to that yet :-)
retired moderator
Original Poster
#15 Old 20th Jan 2010 at 5:33 PM
And, I know my terrain painting sucks, it's just the first run. I plan on touching it up later, and if anyone wants to give me some ideas, that'd be great!
Test Subject
#16 Old 20th Jan 2010 at 5:59 PM
Wow that is really nice looking good :D

Keep up the good work a few rocks will hide those trunks.

Don't worry about the top looking a little out of place by now you probably have seen the world map and know we can work with that.

Also what do you think of the world map (I hope you worked out where the Deku tree goes) I know its mostly rough work but good enough till we start getting more stuff done and I hope it resembles OOT well. also what do you think on the cave I did etc?

I am now continuing the Hyrule castle map as I have some great ideas for it which I wanted to add in myself instead of asking for it all so candlelight82 was fine with that.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#17 Old 20th Jan 2010 at 6:13 PM
Thanks!

I have had a look at the world, and it seems to be coming along great! It took me a few minutes to get orientated, but once I did, I saw the land coming together :-)

Do you know if there is any way to make the land overhang where the Deku Tree is located? More rocks might work, but it's supposed to be land.

I saw your cave and it's pretty cool. I'm not really familiar with CAW yet, so I may need some help tidying things up there with the tree, if necessary.

So, I am also looking at custom wallpaper to make the face, if that's alright with you :-)

And I keep forgetting to mention this, but the lot I've chosen is 60X60.
Test Subject
#18 Old 20th Jan 2010 at 6:28 PM
Thats cool we can always export it to 64x64.

Overhang on land you cant do that you can only rise and no caves.

If only EA let us put in objects ourselves we could make the tree and import it into caw like they have done for there caves etc.

As for the land around the tree can always be risen up to accommodate the lot.

I think the next world map wiil be a mapmakers map with allot of different size lots just for building on.

Doesn't need to be pretty just enough where house builders can have like 10-15 of each common size lot all grouped together.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#19 Old 20th Jan 2010 at 8:07 PM
Scholar
#20 Old 20th Jan 2010 at 9:46 PM
Yeah, cool deku tree
you could try to make the roots light brown and make some dark brown stripes.. would look more realistic ??? not really sure... just a thought but worth a try
retired moderator
Original Poster
#21 Old 21st Jan 2010 at 1:17 AM
Yeah, I know. I've touched up the roots and grass. In the picture that I have, the grass is all green and yellow mottled together. So I tried to capture that. Not entirely happy with it, but we'll see.

I have added some doors and lights.

And I'm going to bed.

Ciao for now!
Screenshots
Scholar
#22 Old 21st Jan 2010 at 2:47 AM
tried myself on root designing..
conclusion:
- brown terrain paint doesn't work properly, no way to match with the trunk.. tried to fade dark brown roots slowly to the trunk grey... waste of time i think.. well maybe it could if i used every grey from dark stone to bright
- you did a good job

you could test to combine the yellow paint with some light green paint, maybe i'm wrong because of the large distance in the screenshot

btw your dungeon layout looks very similar to the game
Retired
retired moderator
#23 Old 21st Jan 2010 at 2:59 AM
I like what you're doing here, but how much camera bump do you suffer in the non-underground layers? Those trunk rooms look very close to the trunk sides.
Scholar
#24 Old 21st Jan 2010 at 3:11 AM
@kiwi_tea

I think the main goal of the projekt is to stay as close as possible to the Ocarina of time game. I know about the camera problems from my own project -> hyrule castle... in my case the big tower..
But i think it's quite ok to deal with some little bumps... If people play the hyrule world later, they should say: "hey i know that, ..and here, cool this is also here, oh yes i remember from the game..."
Forum Resident
#25 Old 21st Jan 2010 at 3:43 AM
the tree looks pretty short.

I no longer make sims, if you wish to contact me through this site it is highly unlikely that you will receive a reply.
Locked thread | Locked by: spladoum Reason: useful information for an unusual build.
Page 1 of 3