Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#76 Old 26th Jan 2021 at 6:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HydraM
Hi, I've been trying to edit the island_tiki_torch_flame but when I place the torch in the world my game simply crashes. I followed all the steps to change the ColorCurve. I even tried to load the package without any edits and it still crashes my game (just selected the effect and saved it). Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

My game also crashes, I will take a closer look at this and revert.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#77 Old 27th Jan 2021 at 6:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HydraM
Hi, I've been trying to edit the island_tiki_torch_flame but when I place the torch in the world my game simply crashes. I followed all the steps to change the ColorCurve. I even tried to load the package without any edits and it still crashes my game (just selected the effect and saved it). Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

I mixed up the version numbers in the last update but this is fixed now, please download new version 2.0.9.
Test Subject
#78 Old 27th Jan 2021 at 10:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by denton47
I mixed up the version numbers in the last update but this is fixed now, please download new version 2.0.9.

It's working perfectly now, thanks a lot for this great tool and for fixing it so quickly! <3
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#79 Old 4th Mar 2021 at 6:51 PM
A little exercise on how to change the sparkles from Bust the Dust Kit:

1. Start the tool, click Main, select Visual Effect "dust_clean_sparkle_holder", click Edit.
2. Select the first ParticleEffect and click Edit.
3. In the ColorAlphaCurve table, change the second entry from 1 to 0.5, this will reduce the sparkle brightness by roughly 50%.
4. Click Return, click return again, click Save Package, choose a name like "dust_clean_sparkle_50.package".

If you change the ColorAlphaCurve value to 0 you won't see the sparkles anymore.

Screenshots
Top Secret Researcher
#80 Old 6th Apr 2021 at 2:18 PM Last edited by Bakie : 7th Apr 2021 at 10:43 AM.
Hello,
Does anyone know how to export a model from a vfx? I want to export the model of the large iguana (instance C4B68013C0900A6C), but I don't know how to export the model so I can see if I can change the way it's standing..
Have tried using the Game File Cruiser, but that doesn't let me export as a blend file..

*EDIT*
Solution that worked for me right now, thanks to MizoreYukii:
https://youtu.be/dZwI8tYIOUQ

Would be nice if there was a simpler way though. Also a simpler and working way to make more then one recolor of an effect as I now only could make one cloned vfx to work. The other one worked eventually too, but only after removing the first one..

Curious at all the mods I made or want to learn how to make mods yourself? Take a look at my BakieGaming YouTube Channel
For the people who would like to support me some more, take a look at my: BakieGaming Patreon page
For a quick mod overview, take a look at my Profile page
Top Secret Researcher
#81 Old 7th Apr 2021 at 11:37 AM
Ok, again trying to make another chicken recolor, but after cloning the 'ep07_island_chickens' code, saving the file and merging it, I get the 'unable to read beyond the end of stream error'.
I also get the same error when trying to re-open the just saved file in the tool.
It does not happen every time when cloning other vfx. Maybe it needs an update for a certain part again?

Curious at all the mods I made or want to learn how to make mods yourself? Take a look at my BakieGaming YouTube Channel
For the people who would like to support me some more, take a look at my: BakieGaming Patreon page
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#82 Old 10th Apr 2021 at 7:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Bakie
Ok, again trying to make another chicken recolor, but after cloning the 'ep07_island_chickens' code, saving the file and merging it, I get the 'unable to read beyond the end of stream error'.
I also get the same error when trying to re-open the just saved file in the tool.
It does not happen every time when cloning other vfx. Maybe it needs an update for a certain part again?

There was a bug when building MetaParticleEffects but this has been fixed now, please download new version 2.0.10.
Lab Assistant
#83 Old 23rd Apr 2021 at 10:17 PM Last edited by wild_guy : 23rd Apr 2021 at 10:39 PM.
A little exercise on how to change the sparkles from Bust the Dust Kit

Oh! Thank you so much for this tutorial, really useful!
Lab Assistant
#84 Old 3rd May 2021 at 9:10 AM
This is extremely cool.
With this tool, would it be possible to replace the ghost shaders with the ones from TS3? Or would it end up looking weird because of the different sim models?
New ghosts is something I've been casually searching for pretty much since ghosts were released, they're just not creepy enough, IMO
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#85 Old 4th May 2021 at 6:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by danburite2
This is extremely cool.
With this tool, would it be possible to replace the ghost shaders with the ones from TS3? Or would it end up looking weird because of the different sim models?
New ghosts is something I've been casually searching for pretty much since ghosts were released, they're just not creepy enough, IMO

The base Sim ghost effect is not made with the SWARM engine so it is not something you can edit with this tool, there are some additional effects you can edit however, for example Temperance from Paranormal Stuff starts with the effect ghost_death_by_anger.

I assume the following shaders are used instead of the simskin shader to create the Sim ghosts:

0x9516A357 SimGhost
0x4DC0C8BC OverlayTexture, Type: kTypeTexture
0x5440BC32 SkinDetailTexture, Type: kTypeTexture
0x637DAA05 diffuse, Type: kTypeFloat4
0x6E56548A NormalMap, Type: kTypeTexture
0xBA2D1AB9 NormalUVScale, Type: kTypeFloat2
0x3C45E334 NormalMapScale, Type: kTypeFloat
0x8286D3EC NormalMapUVChannel, Type: kTypeFloat
0xAF758377 UsesTangents, Type: kTypeBool
0xE1FA495C GhostColor1, Type: kTypeFloat4
0xE1FA495F GhostColor2, Type: kTypeFloat4
0x67277CE6 GhostFilterParams, Type: kTypeFloat4
0xF487CB36 GhostNoiseParams, Type: kTypeFloat4
0x3EBC89E5 GhostNoiseTexture, Type: kTypeTexture
0x0E337517 GhostMaskTexture, Type: kTypeTexture

0x5A16760A SimGhostCAS
0x5E2CC5B9 SkinToneAndMakeupTexture, Type: kTypeTexture
0x69EDEC9E ClothWithAlphaTexture, Type: kTypeTexture
0x3C410F96 SkinDetailHSL, Type: kTypeTexture
0x8715A7E8 SkinDetail2ndOverlayOpacity, Type: kTypeFloat

0x43A70B79 SimGhostGlass
0xAD528A60 SpecularMap, Type: kTypeTexture
0xFF29E4B9 SpecUVScale, Type: kTypeFloat2
0x2CE11842 specular, Type: kTypeFloat3
0xC094259F CubeMapTex, Type: kTypeTexture

0x69B67078 SimGhostGlassCAS
0xAD528A60 SpecularMap, Type: kTypeTexture
0xFF29E4B9 SpecUVScale, Type: kTypeFloat2
0x2CE11842 specular, Type: kTypeFloat3
0xC094259F CubeMapTex, Type: kTypeTexture

To alter the appearance of ghosts I would start with locating the GhostNoiseTexture and GhostMaskTexture image resources.
Field Researcher
#86 Old 20th May 2021 at 3:27 PM
Hi, have a weird case and seemingly confused the tool, lol. So I made a VFX remover mod and hadn't updated in a while, went to try and update it today by opening it as you described before, and ran into this exception:

My guess is it's too old and I'll have to manually update, but wanted to post about this in case it's not supposed to happen. Attached the file as well.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  MizoreYukii_RemovedCarVFX.zip (471.8 KB, 14 downloads)

Creator Musings is a Sims 4 modder, poser/animator, and CC creator hangout server (though everyone is allowed) with a tutorial/resource directory, help channels, and mod/cc/sims 4 news channels!
My Discord | Twitter | Tumblr | Patreon
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#87 Old 26th May 2021 at 6:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MizoreYukii
Hi, have a weird case and seemingly confused the tool, lol. So I made a VFX remover mod and hadn't updated in a while, went to try and update it today by opening it as you described before, and ran into this exception:

My guess is it's too old and I'll have to manually update, but wanted to post about this in case it's not supposed to happen. Attached the file as well.

I gave up making the tool compatible with older versions a while ago because of all the changes that was made to the SWARM engine and I had also misinterpreted some of the data structures making it even more difficult, however there haven't been any changes in a while now so I will try and make the tool backwards compatible from now on if there are any more updates.
Field Researcher
#88 Old 26th May 2021 at 7:50 PM
I gave up making the tool compatible with older versions a while ago because of all the changes that was made to the SWARM engine and I had also misinterpreted some of the data structures making it even more difficult, however there haven't been any changes in a while now so I will try and make the tool backwards compatible from now on if there are any more updates.

Oh thank you so much! I really appreciate that. You could always set a limit maybe? Like after 2 versions it will no longer update old files with a message to state that? Oh, or maybe a side program that updates files, in case adding it to the main one causes issues?

Creator Musings is a Sims 4 modder, poser/animator, and CC creator hangout server (though everyone is allowed) with a tutorial/resource directory, help channels, and mod/cc/sims 4 news channels!
Test Subject
#89 Old 9th Jun 2021 at 7:37 PM
Hey denton,
I never thought that customizing effects would ever be possible. This is amazing! I must say that I have a lot of fun experimenting with this tool. Thank you for that!
One question though: Would it ever be possible to create standalone VFX, without overriding the 0x1B19204A resource? Maybe with some kind of injection methode?
Test Subject
#90 Old 9th Jun 2021 at 8:02 PM
Thank you so much
Test Subject
#91 Old 9th Jun 2021 at 8:08 PM
Thank you so much
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#92 Old 11th Jun 2021 at 6:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PixaraTV
Hey denton,
I never thought that customizing effects would ever be possible. This is amazing! I must say that I have a lot of fun experimenting with this tool. Thank you for that!
One question though: Would it ever be possible to create standalone VFX, without overriding the 0x1B19204A resource? Maybe with some kind of injection methode?

I did some testing when the new 0x1B192049 / 0x1B19204A resources was released a while ago but I wasn't able to get the game to recognize new 0x1B192049 effects without adding them to the 0x1B19204A "Master" table. I also tried creating more 0x1B19204A tables but the game would only load 0x1B19204A-0x0051185B-0x5A1E6D0162252B3E.

There have been quite a few updates since the new resources was released so maybe I should do some testing again, there are also some properties at the end of 0x1B19204A table that I haven't been able to figure out yet, the most elegant solution would be if you could create your own 0x1B19204A tables.
Top Secret Researcher
#93 Old 2nd Aug 2021 at 3:43 PM
A question maybe you can shine a light upon. With the new Pond Tool in game, there're these VFX spawners which are visible in Build Mode and invisible in Live mode.
Now I already discovered how to do the visible/invisible thing for the objects, but it seems the new vfx codes have something extra that makes them to be visible in live mode in combination with these objects.
Changing the vfx code to an 'older' vfx code, like one from a bird, makes them to not spawn in live mode, only in build mode if they start right away.

Is there something that you can see about these new vfx combined to older ones which may does the trick?

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#94 Old 4th Aug 2021 at 6:20 PM
A question maybe you can shine a light upon. With the new Pond Tool in game, there're these VFX spawners which are visible in Build Mode and invisible in Live mode.
Now I already discovered how to do the visible/invisible thing for the objects, but it seems the new vfx codes have something extra that makes them to be visible in live mode in combination with these objects.
Changing the vfx code to an 'older' vfx code, like one from a bird, makes them to not spawn in live mode, only in build mode if they start right away.

Is there something that you can see about these new vfx combined to older ones which may does the trick?

I need a little more information, the effects that play in live with the new pond tool are the ones with the ep11_ prefix, like ep11_ducks_pond ?, which effects do not work ?

Where do you change the effect names ?, in object tuning like object_Ponds_VFXObject_Ducks ?

I remember something was added with the Island Living EP to make effects appear on the ocean water surface instead of the ocean floor, maybe this is what you are facing, I don't think the effects themselves are able to detect live and build mode.
Top Secret Researcher
#95 Old 7th Aug 2021 at 3:12 PM
I need a little more information, the effects that play in live with the new pond tool are the ones with the ep11_ prefix, like ep11_ducks_pond ?, which effects do not work ?
Where do you change the effect names ?, in object tuning like object_Ponds_VFXObject_Ducks ?
I remember something was added with the Island Living EP to make effects appear on the ocean water surface instead of the ocean floor, maybe this is what you are facing, I don't think the effects themselves are able to detect live and build mode.

Ok, so say you clone the pond VFX object that spawns the dragonflies. which are both placeable on the watersurface as well as on terrain, In Sims4Studio. Search for 42354.
Then export the tuning: "object_Ponds_VFXObject_Dragonflies".
You will then get an Object Tuning that has a part that makes the dragonflies to show up with the vfx code: "ep11_dragonflies_pond"
If you don't do anything to this mod, and you go to live mode in game, the object will disappear and the dragonflies will be visible.

Now if you replace the vfx code for something else, like "ep07_island_chickens" then change the Tuningname to get a new TuningID and paste it into the right spot in the definition section, you would expect that when placing the object in game, the object now spawns a chicken effect. But when doing so, nothing happens. You will see no vfx at all.

When replacing the dragonflies effect with an effect code of another pond vfx object, like the one with the ducks: "ep11_euro_ducks_pond" they WILL be visible.
Other vfx codes other then the ones that already spawn pond vfx don't show up in game. Also not the other ones starting with ep11_.

So the question now is, what is happening over here that we can't change the vfx code in something else then the pond vfx codes.
You can by the way also spawn the pond codes with Andrews Effect Player and by placing them in the cutout info table.. So it doesn't seem it has anything to do with the tuning or the object itself.

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#96 Old 10th Aug 2021 at 8:01 PM
Ok, so say you clone the pond VFX object that spawns the dragonflies. which are both placeable on the watersurface as well as on terrain, In Sims4Studio. Search for 42354.
Then export the tuning: "object_Ponds_VFXObject_Dragonflies".
You will then get an Object Tuning that has a part that makes the dragonflies to show up with the vfx code: "ep11_dragonflies_pond"
If you don't do anything to this mod, and you go to live mode in game, the object will disappear and the dragonflies will be visible.

Now if you replace the vfx code for something else, like "ep07_island_chickens" then change the Tuningname to get a new TuningID and paste it into the right spot in the definition section, you would expect that when placing the object in game, the object now spawns a chicken effect. But when doing so, nothing happens. You will see no vfx at all.

When replacing the dragonflies effect with an effect code of another pond vfx object, like the one with the ducks: "ep11_euro_ducks_pond" they WILL be visible.
Other vfx codes other then the ones that already spawn pond vfx don't show up in game. Also not the other ones starting with ep11_.

So the question now is, what is happening over here that we can't change the vfx code in something else then the pond vfx codes.
You can by the way also spawn the pond codes with Andrews Effect Player and by placing them in the cutout info table.. So it doesn't seem it has anything to do with the tuning or the object itself.

I have been playing around with this for a while and I can't get it to work either, I think it has something to do with rig/slots of pond vfx object, normally there is a _FX_ bone where the effect attaches to but this rig looks different, also the object slot resource throws an exception indicating it is a newer version.

The ep11_ effects are quite complex and it is absolutely possible they contain some "extra" information needed by pond vfx object.
Test Subject
#97 Old 8th Oct 2021 at 12:25 PM
hi Denton I have 2 questions

1 is it possible to attach our cloned custom vfx to objects?

2 if so is there a limit to how many custom vfx we can add to the objects before it causes game processing / rendering issues?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#98 Old 12th Oct 2021 at 6:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Yokozii
hi Denton I have 2 questions

1 is it possible to attach our cloned custom vfx to objects?

2 if so is there a limit to how many custom vfx we can add to the objects before it causes game processing / rendering issues?

1. Yes you can attach custom effects to objects, using the Tiki torch example from the front page, it uses the following tuning resource:

S4_B61DE6B4_0000001C_000000000003409E_object_light_floor_EP07GENtorchCrossed.xml

you can try and edit the effect name played when turning the torch on/off:

<V n="visual_effect" t="enabled">
<U n="enabled">
<T n="effect_name">ep07_island_tiki_torch_crossed</T>
</U>
</V>

2. I don't know if the game has any limits on how many visual effects you can "attach" to a single object slot/bone, but I doubt you are going to see performance issues, modern discrete graphics cards are build to run large amounts of shaders.
Field Researcher
#99 Old 30th Nov 2021 at 5:14 PM

Since it's been a while and no VFX updates atm from what I can tell, will you be able to make it backwards compatible now?

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#100 Old 1st Dec 2021 at 4:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MizoreYukii
Since it's been a while and no VFX updates atm from what I can tell, will you be able to make it backwards compatible now?

I already added version checking in tool version 2.0.6 so it will be able to read the following versions and up:

Particle Effect Version 23
Metaparticle Effect Version 4
Decal Effect Version 2
Sequence Effect Version 1
Sound Effect Version 7
Shake Effect Version 1
Camera Effect Version 1
Model Effect Version 1
Screen Effect Version 1
Game Effect Version 1
FastParticle Effect Version 1
Distribute Effect Version 1
Ribbon Effect Version 3
Sprite Effect Version 5
Visual Effect Version 12

In the next tool version 2.0.11 I have added options to serialize/deserialize effects into JSON text files so you can export/import between different versions (including Sims 3).
Page 4 of 7