Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Jun 2005 at 1:10 AM
Default Accessorys and Bins
I have recently been working on some accessory meshes, cloned from eyeglasses.

There is a "bin(dtUInteger)" line in the MeshOverlay XML files for the glasses recolor .package that allows the accessory to be placed in different "bins" -

The Maxis eyeglasses all come set to bin 0x0000000F

If I set this to 0x00000053, my accessory now can be worn by the Sim without interfering with the glasses. In other words, the Sim could wear both a pair of glasses, and the new accessory, at the same time.

I have found and tested some more Bin numbers

Here is what I have so far:

0000000F (default Maxis glasses bin)
0000000A
0000000C
0000000D
0000000E

I tested all these, and all work correctly in BodyShop, the game's CAS section, "change appearance" in the mirror, and most importantly in the game itself.

A Sim can "wear" at the same time one item from each category, and each one can be changed at will in the mirror without affecting the others. Every selected accessory shows with a green box around it's icon, and each can be removed without affecting the others by clicking it's icon again. Or the whole lot can be removed at once by clicking the "no glasses" icon.

You can see how this could make for a very flexible "accessory" system if there were some sort of agreed upon standard for categorizing accessories.

If you are wondering why I left out 0000000B, it is because it didn't work right in the game. It did work in BodyShop and on the CAS screen, even in the "change appearance" section, but in the game the accessory with this bin number doesn't show up.

Has anyone found any others? In light of my 0000000B experience, if you think you have do be sure to test it on a Sim in the game to confirm that it works, testing in BodyShop won't tell the complete story.

In any case, I would like to suggest to accessory makers the following bin number usage:

0000000F - glasses (this one isn't really a suggestion, it is already used by Maxis for glasses anyway so it only makes sense to put user-made glasses into this category)

00000053 - Purses and other such items, like backpacks and so on (I have already seen some using this bin number)

0000000A - "Fantasy" accessories - things like wings, tails, cat ears, etc.

0000000C - ear-rings and other "head" jewelry, like nose-rings, etc

0000000D - necklace and other upperbody jewelry, like collar pins, chokers

0000000E - other jewelry such as bracelets, watches, rings

There could of course be more bin numbers available, please don't take this as a complete list. These are just the ones I have found and tested.

Any ideas about this, anyone?
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 27th Jun 2005 at 10:56 AM
Thanks Dr Pixel for pull it up, I was a little bit worry about what I have done about the bin numbers, because I don't know is there any rules about the bin number.

What I have done is useing the HASH number generated by BodyShop as the bin number, since that will be unique for every recolor package.

If every recolor have a unique bin number, one sims can wear lots of accessory, but sometimes people don't know how many does a sims wearing, because the new recolor will just layer on the old one, and it looks like the sims only wear one accessory, so, I would like to suggest using one hash number for one new accessory mesh -- all the recolors share one bin.

It is work in game, have't found any conflicts.

Welcome to SunairSims

Recommended browser for the sims2 section of my site: IE (came with Windows XP), AOL 9.0 Optimized SE, last version of FireFox vs Flash and SunJava plugin.
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 27th Jun 2005 at 1:02 PM
Oh, I see what you are saying - so really there are many, many bin numbers to be used.

Still I think it would be better if we all decide on a same set of numbers for each kind of accessory, to avoid the problem of a Sim wearing two or three pair of ear-rings at the same time.

I will test with some more bin numbers
Banned Asshat
#4 Old 16th Jun 2007 at 9:06 PM Last edited by bLURR : 16th Jun 2007 at 9:17 PM.
Thnx Dr!!
Now i be able to have my tongue with piercing/earrings and glasses
I had the tongue working as the vampireteeth(00000013)and could use glasses also.
But this allows you much more options.

Oh, this is a old post, o well, Thanks anyway :P
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 17th Jun 2007 at 12:20 AM
I must ask, what about the rest of the 0's? Is it possible to replace them with a naming convention?

For example, if I were to make a pair of glasses, would I be able to use:

SATAGL1F (SAilor TAurus GLasses one)
Instead of:
0000000F

As a way to make sure that no-one's items conflict with each other when being worn (like the the case of 'fantasy' objects, someone might want to use a certain pair of fairy wings with a certain cat tail, but sadly both take up the same bin)? Is this possible?
Field Researcher
#6 Old 27th Aug 2007 at 5:13 PM
thanks so much for your information :D
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
#7 Old 27th Aug 2007 at 6:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Bishounen_Taurus
I must ask, what about the rest of the 0's? Is it possible to replace them with a naming convention?

For example, if I were to make a pair of glasses, would I be able to use:

SATAGL1F (SAilor TAurus GLasses one)
Instead of:
0000000F

0000000F are all numbers (in hex) S,T,G, and L are not. You might be able get away with filling in the other zeros with other numbers, I don't know. I do know that they all have to be 'numbers' not letters. (Think A-F).
Scholar
Original Poster
#8 Old 28th Aug 2007 at 6:04 PM
To make sure your bin number is unique, Sunair's idea of using the hash number (of your very first recolor .package) seems the best way to go.

That is that long number BodyShop sticks in front of the name you gave your file.

I'm not sure how it is done, but BodyShop does manage to generate a uniquie hash number that won't interfere with other people's .package files.

It's also best to avoid the low numbers becuase some are used for other things like lipstick and eyeshadow.

I also see that Maxis has said they will have accessories included in the next expansion - I would assume that they will be using more bin numbers for those.
Test Subject
#9 Old 15th Sep 2007 at 2:55 PM
Thanks for the heads up Dr Pixel, i will try this
Test Subject
#10 Old 15th Sep 2007 at 3:05 PM
i'm still new at this, is it the offset # i change under values/navigation? I ask because i know i changed the wrong number last time because other than that i would have worked
Scholar
Original Poster
#11 Old 16th Sep 2007 at 2:38 AM
The number to change is the Bin number which is found in the Mesh Overlay XML file of your BodyShop recolor .package

There will be one for each age/sex group that you have assigned your accessory to.

You should change the bin number of all of them.

If you do this to your very first recolor .package, then you can just make more color options in BodyShop, cloned from this first one, and the new bin number will be passed along correctly to each one.

In the pic, you can see that I have used the hash number that BodyShop always adds in front of your filename as the bin number. This will insure that the bin number is unique and won't interfere with anyone else's accessories.

However, now that BV is out with various jewelry accessories included by Maxis, you should also have a look at this thread:
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=248348
Screenshots
Test Subject
#12 Old 16th Sep 2007 at 6:51 PM Last edited by xykyly : 16th Sep 2007 at 7:26 PM.
Thanks for your help once again, but for some reason the file get reseted when i install it. I change the bin # to (0x7897867D), hit commet, and save the pakage. But when i view it in the sim's body eidtor, it doesn't work and when i go back and reopen the file in my SimPE the bin# is (0x0000000F) again. What is going wrong? Is it me or the program? Please help.
Test Subject
#13 Old 1st Aug 2009 at 5:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Dr Pixel
The number to change is the Bin number which is found in the Mesh Overlay XML file of your BodyShop recolor .package

There will be one for each age/sex group that you have assigned your accessory to.

You should change the bin number of all of them.

If you do this to your very first recolor .package, then you can just make more color options in BodyShop, cloned from this first one, and the new bin number will be passed along correctly to each one.

In the pic, you can see that I have used the hash number that BodyShop always adds in front of your filename as the bin number. This will insure that the bin number is unique and won't interfere with anyone else's accessories.

However, now that BV is out with various jewelry accessories included by Maxis, you should also have a look at this thread:
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=248348

I seem to have done something wrong. I opened my accesssory in SimPE and changed the bin numbers in all of the Mesh Ovelay files to 0x0000000A and I still can't wear the accessory with glasses.

How to make Voldey mad: Imperius his Death Eaters into a rousing chorus of All Things Bright and Beautiful-Mugglenet
Field Researcher
#14 Old 1st Aug 2009 at 11:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by fghyu
I seem to have done something wrong. I opened my accesssory in SimPE and changed the bin numbers in all of the Mesh Ovelay files to 0x0000000A and I still can't wear the accessory with glasses.

Did you put in the right place?
And, i'ts a weird question, but, commited and save?

It's alright to make mistakes you're only human. Inside everybody's hiding something. Take time to catch your breath and choose your moment. Don't slide.
Test Subject
#15 Old 1st Aug 2009 at 11:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by eletrodj
Did you put in the right place?
And, i'ts a weird question, but, commited and save?

Yes, I commited and saved but, when you say put it in the right place what exactly do you mean? I just opened the accessory package file from my projects folder, changed the bin numbers, commited, and then saved the changes.

How to make Voldey mad: Imperius his Death Eaters into a rousing chorus of All Things Bright and Beautiful-Mugglenet
Test Subject
#16 Old 10th Sep 2009 at 4:50 AM
Good job guys!