Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#126 Old 15th Sep 2007 at 5:42 AM
Well I have seen both of those errors before, but it would be odd to get them under these conditions. Posting the object would quite probably help, yes.

A "bad gosub" can be caused by a couple of things. The first is that you are trying to call a BHAV which is from a different type of object to your own. That is, if you have a painting and you import a BHAV for a lamp, it may expect to be able to find lamp functions when it actually can't. The second is that you're using a BHAV type 8009, but you're running it in the base game. The third is that you've changed the BHAV type after you already added several nodes. The latter two are unlikely for your case, so I'm guessing it's probably the first.

The "Check Tree" call is generally related to you having an "immediate" flag set in your TTAB when you don't mean it, or calling a "Run tree by name" on either an immediate function or one with a check tree which fails.

There are probably other reasons for these, these are just the things I'd check first for those error messages.

If you post it I can take a closer look.
Advertisement
*shrugs*
retired moderator
#127 Old 15th Sep 2007 at 8:30 PM Last edited by maybesomethingdunno : 3rd Oct 2007 at 3:59 AM. Reason: removed file
Thanks Echo. I cloned the garden spotlight lamp because I wanted the Sim and room to be illuminated during the interaction and have the light turn off after the interaction is over.

I apologize if this was/is not the place to ask for help with this object since I did not follow the tutorial exactly since it is not a painting and, if I remember correctly, I actually imported the Pie Menu strings and functions from the lamp globals. (I first just wanted to view them, then I decided to go ahead and use them with the object...I hope that is okay.) Here is the object; I will be trying to replace all the hair I have pulled out of my head out of frustration.

I don't mind if you call me "MSD" or something for short.
Tumblr
Perhaps someday I'll have leisure time back...
Test Subject
#128 Old 27th Sep 2007 at 9:53 PM
Can you make or link me to a tutorial for creating Semi Global / Global data overrides.
I want to add some more options to all of my pictures.

four cats are better than eight.
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#129 Old 28th Sep 2007 at 2:04 AM
Quote:
Can you make or link me to a tutorial for creating Semi Global / Global data overrides. I want to add some more options to all of my pictures.

It's pretty much the same code-wise as making a local hack, except that the only things in the package are the BHAVs you're editing, and you keep the group and instance numbers that the semi-global library uses rather than changing them to 0xFFFFFFFF/0x1???.

Remember though, that making a semiglobal change will affect *every* object of that type, not just yours. It also means that every time a new EP comes out you have to be prepared to check if the code you're overriding has been changed and if necessary, update it. They're much more high maintenance than local BHAV hacks.
Test Subject
#130 Old 28th Sep 2007 at 11:07 PM
First off-
Thanks soo much for the tutorial!! It's really easy to follow
Now, my question.
It's probably one that really..easy, but..
At the end of Part 1 you say save and see it in your game.
Save where?
I saved the package file in my downloads. Now there is a custom painting, exactly like the original except the custom one is the only one that has my custom pie menu.
Now, call it a brain freeze, but..
Is this what you want?
Sorry, I'm used to clothing meshes..=P
Thanks again=D
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#131 Old 29th Sep 2007 at 1:57 AM
Yep, that's what it's supposed to do. You're making a single hacked painting, not a global hack. In the former, the changes apply only to the object you're working on. In the latter it would apply to all objects of that type.
Test Subject
#132 Old 29th Sep 2007 at 2:46 AM
Okay, that makes more sense, thanks=)
Another thing..I thought I followed everything right I just finished part 3, but when I click 'View' in the game, my custom thing-the hygiene, the position, that's when it happens-not when I click on the custom pie menu option.
Since you mentioned that it might be helpful to have the file uploaded I included it, just in case....
=)
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Painting.zip (84.3 KB, 10 downloads) - View custom content
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#133 Old 29th Sep 2007 at 5:18 AM
MSD: Sorry, somehow I seem to have missed you post! Which interaction is the one you're working on?

Theonering: The reason it is happening on the wrong menu item is because in your pie menu functions table you have "View" set to run 0x1212, and "My First Interaction" set to run 0x2001. You've just put them in backwards.
Test Subject
#134 Old 29th Sep 2007 at 2:29 PM
I switched them and now it works!
Thanks=)
*shrugs*
retired moderator
#135 Old 29th Sep 2007 at 9:05 PM Last edited by maybesomethingdunno : 29th Sep 2007 at 9:11 PM.
No problem, Echo, I needed time away from this silly little object (too much hair-pulling can lead to baldness, after all).

Trying to keep it simple, I made an interaction called "Try", which should run a BHAV called "Test". It simply makes the Sim come over to its relative position before calling the same BHAV, "Interaction - Turn ON", which is what the "Turn On.../This Light" pie menu uses. The lamp still lights up at night; however, when "Try" is run, it immediately gives the "bad gosub" error. (I am interested in making objects that light up and project light onto other objects so lamps seem like a good starting point. But, I am apparently missing something important about the addition of unusual, "non-lamp" interactions to lamps. )

I appreciate your help and this is a great tutorial.

Tumblr
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#136 Old 2nd Oct 2007 at 12:12 PM
Are you running with a base game starter or anything like that by any chance? And is there any chance of you posting the error log the game is generating?
*shrugs*
retired moderator
#137 Old 2nd Oct 2007 at 9:49 PM Last edited by maybesomethingdunno : 3rd Oct 2007 at 3:59 AM. Reason: removed file
Yes. I am using BaseGameStart Pro 1.4b (for Game Environments from Base Game up to Seasons), set for Base Game only (for testing base game compatibility). I have not had time to download and install the newer version, but if the out-dated version is the problem, I will need to make time I guess.

And there is a 100% chance of me posting the error log the game is generating.

I had clicked "Delete" during the error message instead of "Reset" for the posted error log. I do not know if that makes any difference with the actual contents of the error log; but if there is a difference, I can post one where I click "Reset" if necessary.

Edit: I hope I am not about to have egg on my face! I just looked at my SimPE's FileTable and found that "Include Nightlife" is checked. I do not remember if I changed this after I made the initial clone or not. In a few hours (important "real-life" things to do now), I will uncheck that option, reload/restart SimPE and its FileTable, and re-clone just to make sure it is not an issue with some Nightlife component-thing included during the clone.

Tumblr
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#138 Old 3rd Oct 2007 at 12:09 AM
Yup, I'd guess that that's your problem. Some of of your BHAVs are of type 0x8009, which was a format only introduced in NL. If you run that in the base game, you'll almost always get "bad gosub" errors.

You can either
(a) try re-cloning without NL,
(b) running the object with NL, or
(c) find all the 8009 type BHAVs and replace them with the equivalent BHAVs from the base game (which will most likely be 8007s).
*shrugs*
retired moderator
#139 Old 3rd Oct 2007 at 3:59 AM
I did not know about the format change of BHAVs. Well, at least the solution is simple and the splatter of the proverbial egg of shame on my face was not as bad as I feared. . I will leave the Nightlife requirement since I will probably want to use some Nightlife animations. Sorry if I caused you any grief with this object; I tried it in my full game and it seems to work great. Again, thanks so much. :D

Tumblr
Mad Poster
#140 Old 14th Nov 2007 at 3:43 PM
This is stupid but...I am using SimPE v.62.1 and i cannot find the ressouce tab, result, i cannot change the group to 0xFFFFFFFF, nor the instance, to something between 0x00001000, and 0x0000FFFF

could you point me where it is please ?
the only place i found something that look like the images you have in the tut, is in CRES....

thank you,
Rosemary :0)

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#141 Old 15th Nov 2007 at 8:41 AM
Rosemary, it's normally a tab at the bottom of the screen with a sort of green-and-white box icon next to it. If you haven't got it there, try going to the "Window" menu and click "Resource Information".
Mad Poster
#142 Old 15th Nov 2007 at 7:46 PM
....Thanks ! of course it's there ! it was there...silly me...didn't know where to look

Thank you again !

Rose-silly :0)

Mad Poster
#143 Old 16th Nov 2007 at 4:02 PM
I have another question !...

I found some of the CAS anims, and it is working in my object, but...how do you call the mesh to appear ?..the book, from the serious anim, the ball from the active child anim...etc.

Thank you !
oh !..i was forgetting...i cloned the painting, like in the tutorial, but my object is suppose to be placeable ONLY on the floor...(indoors or outdoors)
is there another easy object i could clone that dosen't change much how the tut goes ?

Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#144 Old 16th Nov 2007 at 11:55 PM
Those bits generally require a call to "Create New Object Instance" either directly before the animation starts, or in an event function. They're a little bit tricky though, especially if the objects also have to animate (like a ball being bounced/thrown etc).

You can try using a statue, they're probably pretty close. Alternatively you can just change the placement flags on the painting as described here:
http://forums.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=82685

Good luck!
Mad Poster
#145 Old 17th Nov 2007 at 1:58 AM
Okay ! thank you !...
The "Create New Object Instance", I would put that instead of "anim sim" (0x6A) for instance ?
just before the actual anim....
The anim I put in the strings, is a "02e" anim...there was no "e2o" for the serious cas anim..is it okay ?

Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#146 Old 17th Nov 2007 at 2:27 AM
Naw, you need both the animate sim and the create new object instance. The cnoi takes the GUID of the object you need to create, and creates it. The o2e animation is intended for use on objects, not on sims, so it probably won't do what you anticipate.
Mad Poster
#147 Old 17th Nov 2007 at 6:13 PM Last edited by Rosebine : 18th Nov 2007 at 11:08 PM. Reason: LOL
so...i need both the "o2e"...and the "e-cas-idle-serious"....

Rosie :0)
Thanks...

AH ! one of my new objects works like a charm ! the animations are smoothly played...and all ! thanks Echo ! This is relatively easy when we are taught well !

But the one with the "o2e"...anim...lol
I forgot to replace it, with the "e2o"...anim, so my elder is playing the book animation....simply falls to the ground, and wait for his pages to be turned...very funny !...I'll correct this !

Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#148 Old 19th Nov 2007 at 6:28 AM
Ha! How amusing. And you're quite welcome.
Test Subject
#149 Old 21st Nov 2007 at 5:24 AM
Thanks this was Excellent.

Call me TJ
Test Subject
#150 Old 21st Dec 2007 at 10:42 PM
Firstly, it was a great tutorial, really clear.

Secondly, this is nothing to do with the tutorial, but on SimPE when I go
Extra>Run Sims 2

Nothing happens, do you know why?
Page 6 of 16