Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st Dec 2013 at 11:17 PM
Default Frank Zappa Sim
Hey there, it's me again.

I've wanted to create a Frank Zappa sim for a long while now (and seeing that Peter Wyngarde got good reception, that encouraged me, ah-heh-heh). After uploading my last one, I got a PM suggesting that the next one I do should be given a thread here, for feedback and assistance in being made.

And man oh man do I need some assistance with this one.

I've been wrestling with the cheekbones since 1 PM, and those are the main issue. The whole sim in general needs some help though, he's nowhere near done.

Off I go to make a WCIF thread about the mustache and hair (my current ones are placeholders) and take a shower, so chances are, if I get a response (which I hopefully do!) I won't reply instantly.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 31st Dec 2013 at 11:58 PM
Not a bad start, but I think generally you have over-exaggerated all of his features. He's a bit caricature-ish. ust a few quick things for starters...

If you don't mind CC, then I would recommend different skin or perhaps one that is less pink.. You could probably get away with NikaV's Adam 0.6 or maybe Sectum Simpra's Perch Patchwork. I'm probably biased because I like those skins. But anyway, something less airbrushed smooth. Frank's got rougher skin and more towards tannish than pinkish. Failing that you can always throw on some texturizing makeup to kinda rough-up his face. But that is just an opinionated random thought. Take it or leave it. =)

EYES:
- reduce the scale
- raise the eye socket height
- curve the eyebrows a bit

Cheekbones
- Lower them if you can (might make the lower eyelids glitch, so if you get that you should back off a bit)
- "Flatter" (aim towards the mid-range). If you look at him from an the 3/4 perspective, they should be pretty "flat". Yours are a bit curved in.
- increase the fullness a bit. He's got defined features, but he's not quite that gaunt.

Mouth
- reduce the lower lip shape A LOT. His lip should not be "turned down" / pouty. (Best see when you turn him to the side)
- the above will probably narrow his lip a LOT. which is good, but you may need to adjust the lip thickness. (But keep that in mind - "shape" rolls the lip up/down, thickness makes the lip taller/shorter)

Nose - the "curve" of his nice is really nice.
- nose tip is rotated down too much. Looks to me that it should be almost perpendicular to his face.

Okay... That's a lot to lay on you all at once, so I'll leave off there. But don't be discourage - I do think you have a really good start on him. You just need to fine tune him.

If at all possible, bigger pictures would be helpful for those of us with erheeemmm "tired" eyes. (I do NOT need glasses! Harrumph!) Could be the eye strain talking so don't mind me...
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 1st Jan 2014 at 1:10 AM

Flattest I could get on the cheekbones.

"It's fucking great to be alive, ladies and gentlemen, and if you do not believe it is fucking great to be alive, you better go now, because this show will bring you down so much."
-Frank Zappa, Just Another Band From LA
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 1st Jan 2014 at 1:29 AM
Also, is it just me or did that skin make EA's eyes look considerably better?

"It's fucking great to be alive, ladies and gentlemen, and if you do not believe it is fucking great to be alive, you better go now, because this show will bring you down so much."
Instructor
#5 Old 1st Jan 2014 at 1:45 AM
I'm not really good in the CAS department, but you had me at 'Frank Zappa', that man was brilliant!
My would-be suggestions from seeing the first pics have already been taken care of, and yes the eyes look much better with that skin. Maybe the nose width could be reduced around the nostrils, and the chin made a little broader or the jaw brought down just a little.
Are you using custom sliders? It would be nice to make his eyebrow area jut out a little more like in your last posted reference pic.
Anyway, I think he looks great, nice work on the nose!
Scholar
#6 Old 1st Jan 2014 at 3:37 AM
Good start! The nose shape is nice but the nose is a bit long up and down and still a bit too wide - especially at the nostrils. Shortening the nose may give you more space between the nose and mouth - which the sim needs. Eyes smaller still in scale and closer together. Chin is a little long - especially after shortening/moving the nose/mouth.
Instructor
#7 Old 1st Jan 2014 at 7:59 AM Last edited by Tigerdyhr : 1st Jan 2014 at 8:00 AM. Reason: Proofreading
Yay, you popped by - welcome to "our" little corner of MTS

So yes - all of the above seems helpful.
I think, that if you adjust the nose tip (not sure if it's "depth" or what) slightly, you can replicate that nice long curve he has going on in profile.
While Frank is gifted in the nose department, it is not, as the others have pointed out, that big I would say overall scaling it down a bit, on top of adjusting the proportions.
I really like your nostrils. (Okay, this must be the only place in the world, where I'll ever say that to a stranger :O )

Okay, so ... I'm sorry, k2m1too - you know what I'm going to say now
I'm not a fan of that skin, as I think the eye area is too red. However, it's a personal thing, and I do admit that the other skins I use are probably too smooth for Frank. Anyway, that leads me to suggest: eyebags. More specifically Tifa's wonderful, wonderful eyebags (I'm biased for sure) - here: http://blog.naver.com/OpenMagazineV...No=99&viewDate= (if that link sends you to the frontpage, it's on page 6 and it's called eyebag v1&2v) or this: http://blog.naver.com/OpenMagazineV...No=99&viewDate= (as before, then it's on page 4, called eyebag v3).

Looking forward to an update
Instructor
#8 Old 1st Jan 2014 at 1:07 PM
Definite improvement! I agree with everyone else, while he has a glorious schnoz it should be somewhat smaller in scale. BUT the general shape of it is good. So, just like that but smaller. And I agree the nose tip depth needs to be reduced.

I apologize! I had totally meant to delete that suggestion to curve his eyebrows. I was thinking it at first, but change my mind and forgot to delete it. Oops.

@Tiger - AHHHHHH NOOOOOOO I like that skin! But I would go for the "other" tone ramp. The tan one. (Unless that is the one you have, but I'm thinking you have the pale one). Anyway, you can fix that redness by the eyes with some concealer! If you have Supernatural, use the zombie eye shadow, match it to his skin tone and adjust the opacity. Fixes it right up. Also, mochi029 has a fantastic concealer eyeshadow that is my new bestie. I'll have to dig up the link if you are interested. (But honestly... Frank... red under his eyes? I'm thinking probably okay...)

Eyebags are definitely in order. And probably some other shaders too. But I wasn't going to hit the OP up with all of that at once! That is all window dressing. Best to get the features in about the right place first. Anyway, if you really want to go with a different {{smoother}} skin... I can suggest some texturizing blushers that will rough up his face a bit. In fact, dig around at Tifa's site, you will bump into a few.

Here are the direct links to the eyebags Tiger mentioned:

version 1/2 mix: http://kero7423.blog.me/130133407335
version 3: http://kero7423.blog.me/130145090100

And here are some others (I've not tried these, but they might work for Frank):
version 4: http://kero7423.blog.me/130124927064
version 5: http://kero7423.blog.me/130178521941

btw - what hair is that?
Instructor
#9 Old 1st Jan 2014 at 1:58 PM
BTW, what do his ears and jaw look like (the sim's)? I'd love to see a photo with short hair or bald, just to see how those features look too.
Instructor
#10 Old 1st Jan 2014 at 8:38 PM
Obviously k2m1too is right - the basic sculpt needs to be in order before eyebags are added. I was probably a bit too fast there
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 11th Jan 2014 at 3:54 AM
GUESS WHO FORGOT ABOUT THIS!

Sorry, all! I got a bit preoccupied with school. Gonna give him a bald head (or maybe just short hair) so you can see the ears and jaws. Admittedly, the ears are most likely not accurate in the least, since the hair kind of does hide them.

http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=434421 is the hair, btw--it would rock to have better hair, but that's the best I can muster thus far.

Instructor
#12 Old 11th Jan 2014 at 8:20 AM
No worries, we're still here when you get the time to update him
I vote for short hair, since a bald head can sometimes look significantly different.
I haven't come across any better hairs.