Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Apr 2010 at 8:21 AM Last edited by brigdania : 16th Apr 2010 at 10:18 AM.
Default Kyo from Dir en grey
Hi guys! This is Kyo - he is the lead singer of Japanese rock band Dir en grey. In case you haven't heard of them, I highly suggest giving them a listen (they can be rather heavy, start with something like "Toguro" or "Namamekashiki Ansoku, Tamerai Ni Hohoemi"). I posted pics of him on the Sim Pictures forum and was encouraged to put him up here. I am well aware that it does not look like him yet, which is why I'm here. Any suggestions on how to alter him to be more accurate?

Advertisement
Rogue Redeemer
retired moderator
#2 Old 16th Apr 2010 at 10:39 AM
Allrightey, I'm glad you decided to make this thread!
Raise the jaw quite a bit, because you can see that he doesn't have much chin.
Give him more nose mass, move the upper lip shape slider more to the right and his eyes could be a bit more lighter to look more natural.
Also, try these brows which I've designed for japanese/anime sims and this lipcolor which make his lip look more natural, choose a reddish shade.
That's what I can see now!

The hair texture is very blurry, but I know that there is the same hair with better textures out there, so I'll find it and link it.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 16th Apr 2010 at 2:07 PM
He's looking really good!
I'd say also increase the nose bridge width, and decrease the bottom lower lip width. Also either move his eyes down or bring his nose up because his nose looks a tiiny bit too long.
There's something off about his eyes too. Try playing around with the lower apex slider I think.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 16th Apr 2010 at 7:21 PM Last edited by brigdania : 17th Apr 2010 at 12:11 AM.
Thanks for the advice, guys, I'll try all those things. I'll definitely try those brows and lips too. Hmm, his nose mass is maxed out I think. This skintone is great but it seems to make noses look too thin/defined for what I'm going for. If I bump up the slider multiplier to 2x in Awesomemod, will that bork his face or keep the work I've done so far?

Edit: Okay, I worked on him a bit. Here's what I did: Changed lower eyelid apex, made lower lip narrower, added new lip color and brows, lowered eyes slightly, raised chin & decreased chin depth, moved lower jaw in slightly, lightened eye color, and since the nose mass was maxed out I increased the nose & bridge width a little, but it really doesn't look much different (anybody know of another Asian skintone with a less defined nose texture?)... also since the upper lip shape was maxed out I increased the thickness a little instead. I think it's an improvement, how about you guys? Btw I decided I'm not going to increase the slider multiplier, because then anyone who wanted to download him would have to do it too, right?
Rogue Redeemer
retired moderator
#5 Old 16th Apr 2010 at 11:07 PM
What skin do you use? I think you should try this skintone , I've used it on all my Asian sims, it gives the right eye-effect and has a very subtle nose shadowing!
His face shouldn't change at all if you start using slider multiplier.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 16th Apr 2010 at 11:10 PM Last edited by brigdania : 17th Apr 2010 at 12:11 AM.
I've been using CMar's, but I'll try those! They look good!

Edit: Hmm... I'm loving the nose and mouth on this new skintone, but is it just me or do the eyes seem off now?
Rogue Redeemer
retired moderator
#7 Old 17th Apr 2010 at 12:31 AM
Oh yeaaaaaaah, he looks so much better with that skintone! I think the eyes look a bit off because the eye bag part is more longer towards the outer corners, but that can be changed with these to get the similar look.
There's two important tricks with those eye bags:
First set all the coloring channels to the same as his skincolor, (and watch out for making it too yellowy or orangey), then experiment with the channels by making some of them more darker.
Secondly, the side of the eye bags can be adjusted with the cheekbone height. More higher cheekbones ---> smaller eyebags
Also, his eyes could be smaller in overall!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 17th Apr 2010 at 12:38 AM
Oh, very cool, thanks! I'll try those next. But don't you think the upper eyelids (towards the nose) look too dark? Maybe I could experiment with eyeshadow to make them a little lighter...
Rogue Redeemer
retired moderator
#9 Old 17th Apr 2010 at 12:58 AM
Ah, oh yeah! There is one eye bag in the collection, that covers also the upper lid, I think it's Asian 2... I made it especially to decrease the darkness of the upper lid.

EDIT:
I found the hair !
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 17th Apr 2010 at 1:08 AM Last edited by brigdania : 19th Apr 2010 at 4:04 AM.
Ooh, yes I found it, thanks! I think the lids are much better now.
Edit: Thanks for the hair link, getting it now.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 19th Apr 2010 at 4:11 AM Last edited by brigdania : 19th Apr 2010 at 10:38 AM.
Ok, I couldn't get the bottom lip right and had no choice but to enable the slider multiplier... I also changed a lot of other stuff that seemed wrong. I think he looks better, but please, do tell me if he looked better before - I have every version I make saved, so I can always go back to an earlier one. Comparison pics:

Rogue Redeemer
retired moderator
#12 Old 19th Apr 2010 at 2:25 PM
Oh yeah, that looks better!
I think you should lower the eyebrows a bit, raise the mouth and the whole jaw, and give him some nasolabial crease..
Also, the lower lip looks too wide and a tiny bit too full.
Oh, and lower the upper eyelid a bit to give his eyes more intense look!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 19th Apr 2010 at 5:37 PM
Ok, cool, I'll try those things... That lower lip is killing me - if I make it any less wide it looks bizarre in the middle (too pointy? Can't describe it). So then I change the lip shape to be flatter on the bottom and it looks like it's too wide again! Argh. Idk, I'll play around with some sliders, see what I can do. And I'm glad you mentioned the upper eyelid, I was thinking about doing that, but wasn't sure. Thanks
Rogue Redeemer
retired moderator
#14 Old 19th Apr 2010 at 7:39 PM
Yeah I get what you mean that with the pointyness of the lower lip, the shape of the lower lip is super hard to get squared. D:
Scholar
#15 Old 20th Apr 2010 at 4:04 AM
Good job! The main things I see - other than the bottom lip as mentioned above - is that his nasal bridge needs to be indented more, his jaw, perhaps, a tiny bit wider, and his cheekbones lower / more rounded. The upper lip could be more M shaped. His eyes look just a touch too far up at the outer corners. Otherwise, his nose and eyes look very close to me. Like the hair!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 20th Apr 2010 at 5:20 PM
Thanks for the feedback, SimmyRN! Haha the upper lip is giving me almost as much trouble as the bottom one. Is it just me or do female sims seem to give you more control over the shape of the mouth? Moving the upper lip width sliders in particular seem to yield different results on males and females, which I find weird. If only Kyo were just more effeminate, I could make him a girl sim like my Mana lol!
Test Subject
#17 Old 17th Jul 2010 at 6:52 PM
loooooooooving this! I can't believe I've been away for so long! How is little Kyo-kun coming along anyway?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#18 Old 24th Jul 2010 at 11:59 PM
Well.... I haven't had too much time to work on Sims lately (I was away in another state for a month + things are hectic otherwise) and plus I had to reinstall my game (I backed up my saved sims though). I need to redownload CC and put him back in my game, then make some time to work on him.... is it ok to leave this thread up until then? I know you're supposed to delete it when you're done, but what if you're on a hiatus of unspecified length? I will finish him eventually though. Along with Mana. And Gackt. And Dita. And Miyavi... Darn, I have a lot of work ahead of me and no time to do it in :/ Thanks for your support though :D
Theorist
#19 Old 25th Jul 2010 at 12:05 AM
OMG! I had a request for this guy! Thank goodness I didn't get very far because I'm extremely unmotivated (lol)

-slightly less wide mouth
-wider bottom lip
-wider bridge

hope you keep working on him because he's very good

Hi I'm Paul!
Locked thread | Locked by: Yogi-Tea Reason: contains useful info for sim creators