Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Jan 2022 at 1:54 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Sims 2 Categorizer how to use guide?
Hi, hopefully someone is able to help me~ I have just downloaded the Sims 2 Categorizer and I can view my custom content in it, but I don't know how to use the program as the help file is no longer supported and I am unable to open it I am using Windows 7 (Didn't want to upgrade to newer systems) but I think this was made back before windows 7 even came out :/ I don't want to touch anything as I'm scared i'll break my game
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 14th Jan 2022 at 4:10 AM
I am unsure if I know that program, it sounds old. What does it do? You can probably do the same in another program.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#3 Old 14th Jan 2022 at 5:22 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 15th Jan 2022 at 6:07 AM.
If you're afraid of doing anything with it, make sure to have a backup of your files - then you can test out what it does without ruining anything, since you can just swap out any broken files if you mess up something.

The help file is probably linking to a broken web page. If so, probably not much you can do about that.

I've heard of the SimCategorizer, but never used it since I'm fairly sure SimPE can do whatever it can and more, if in a bit less convenient way since files have to be loaded in individually (and probably not with the same preview functions). I use SimPE for everything these days. It has a preview function for individual meshes, and you can preview recolors in the MMAT resource. All other information in the file is accessible and editable (as long as you know how to). I'm good with that.

From the simsWiki:
"SimCatgorizer (from SimWardrobe)
This tool allows players to change the price of an object, control where it appears in the catalog, and select which available community areas it will be available in. Players can also edit the description."

Nothing you can't already do in SimPE.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 15th Jan 2022 at 1:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
I am unsure if I know that program, it sounds old. What does it do? You can probably do the same in another program.

It is old~ I think 2006! It has a couple of uses but I wanted it to help sort out my downloads folder as it shows all the files in pictures so I would know what to delete (Only recent downloads are organised after experience )
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 15th Jan 2022 at 1:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
If you're afraid of doing anything with it, make sure to have a backup of your files - then you can test out what it does without ruining anything, since you can just swap out any broken files if you mess up something.

The help file is probably linking to a broken web page. If so, probably not much you can do about that.

I've heard of the SimCategorizer, but never used it since I'm fairly sure SimPE can do whatever it can and more, if in a bit less convenient way since files have to be loaded in individually (and probably not with the same preview functions). I use SimPE for everything these days. It has a preview function for individual meshes, and you can preview recolors in the MMAT resource. All other information in the file is accessible and editable (as long as you know how to). I'm good with that.

From the simsWiki:
"SimCatgorizer (from SimWardrobe)
This tool allows players to change the price of an object, control where it appears in the catalog, and select which available community areas it will be available in. Players can also edit the description."

Nothing you can't already do in SimPE.

Yeah I guess that's probably all I can do sadly
I have never used SimPE and to be honest a little nervous to to be honest! Thanks for the help though!
Mad Poster
#6 Old 15th Jan 2022 at 1:37 AM
I've used Sim Categorizer and I can tell you that you shouldn't use it, because it is very old, and probably if you try to change prices, or catalog sort, you will crash your game.
Use SimPE instead.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#7 Old 15th Jan 2022 at 4:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Xx-Scorpio-xX
Yeah I guess that's probably all I can do sadly
I have never used SimPE and to be honest a little nervous to to be honest! Thanks for the help though!
SimPE has both easy stuff and really hard stuff in it. Changing an item say from deco over to hobby is easy.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#8 Old 15th Jan 2022 at 6:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by FranH
I've used Sim Categorizer and I can tell you that you shouldn't use it, because it is very old, and probably if you try to change prices, or catalog sort, you will crash your game.
Use SimPE instead.

I think I vaguely remember there being some issues with items when you'd edited them with this program, but can't remember what. Maybe clashing with the Compressorizer, causing games to crash or some such.

Anyway, if you get crashes after using this program (or any other sim-related editing program), you can first try to remove the cache files, because usually it's just the cache files gone corrupted. If that doesn't work, try to swap the CC files for backups (you should always have backup files, at least as long as you don't feel comfortable doing edits).
Mad Poster
#9 Old 16th Jan 2022 at 3:07 PM
@Xx-Scorpio-xX
Thought this one could be interesting. It's a similar program but made very recently, and the creator is active so it's most likely going to be kept updated for a while.

https://picknmixsims.tumblr.com/pos...bject-relocator (info)
http://www.picknmixmods.com/Sims2/N...tRelocator.html (the mod + how to use it)

(Sorry for the double-post/bump, but an edit might be overlooked)