Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Jun 2021 at 11:57 AM
Default userstartup.cheat doesn't work after reinstall
I had to reinstall Sims 2 and userstartup.cheat stoped working. Before that it worked just fine but now it doesn't. I checked multiple times if everything is typed correct but I'm running out of ideas. Please help!

boolProp controlPets true
boolProp petActionCancel true
intProp maxNumOfVisitingSims 10
boolProp allow45DegreeAngleOfRotation true
boolProp quarterTilePlacementEnabled true
boolProp showCatalogEPFlags true
alias snapon "boolProp snapObjectsToGrid true" "opis" "opis"
alias snapof "boolProp snapObjectsToGrid false" "opis" "opis"
alias mon "moveObjects on" "Move Objects On" "Move Objects On"
alias mof "moveObjects off" "Move Objects Off" "Move Objects Off"
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 4th Jun 2021 at 12:28 PM Last edited by simsample : 5th Jun 2021 at 7:18 PM.
Pretty sure the quarter tile one is wrong- in the help file it says this:

setQuarterTilePlacement [on | off]

Edit:
*Narrator's voice- it isn't.*
Field Researcher
#3 Old 4th Jun 2021 at 12:54 PM
I have boolProp quarterTilePlacementEnabled true in my user startup cheat file and it works just fine. You still have to toggle on and off with ctrl+F.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#4 Old 4th Jun 2021 at 2:39 PM
@Aysarth It works for you written as the OP has it above:
boolProp quarterTilePlacementEnabled true?
Readme has it:
setQuarterTilePlacement [on | off]
And that works in my userstartup.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 4th Jun 2021 at 5:02 PM
I have heard that the quartertile cheat breaks the userstartup.cheat file, and you can only include it as an alias, not as an always-on version of the cheat.

It's possible that there are two commands for the same cheat and one breaks it and one doesn't.

Just checked mine BTW and I'm using setquartertileplacement on.

(My game has never ever been fussy about caps in cheats, I know some people find they need to capitalise every word from the second word onwards).

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Field Researcher
#6 Old 4th Jun 2021 at 5:20 PM
The text of my userstartup.cheat file is as follows: everything in it works without errors.

boolProp testingCheatsEnabled true
boolprop dontMergeNHFlora false
boolprop allow45DegreeAngleOfRotation true
boolprop showCatalogEPFlags true
uintProp lotSkirtSizeIncrease 88
setHighestAllowedLevel 8
alias "cfeon" "boolprop constrainFloorElevation true" "constrainFloorElevation true"
alias "cfeoff" "boolprop constrainFloorElevation false" "constrainFloorElevation false"
alias "qtpon" "setQuarterTilePlacement on" "setQuarterTilePlacement on"
alias "qtpoff" "setQuarterTilePlacement off" "setQuarterTilePlacement off"
alias "mon" "moveobjects on"
alias "moff" "moveobjects off"
uintProp maxTotalSims 30
uintProp maxTotalHumans 20
uintProp maxTotalPets 10
Mad Poster
#7 Old 4th Jun 2021 at 5:49 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 4th Jun 2021 at 7:02 PM.
Apparently there are two variants of the quarterTilePlacement cheats - one that works as "always on" (you still need Ctrl+F), and one you have to turn on with the full cheat or aliases plus Ctrl+F.

The old ones I had in my alias were these
alias qn "setQuarterTilePlacement on" (activated with Ctrl+F as usual)
alias qf "setQuarterTilePlacement off"

The new one I copied from the tip someone posted (haven't had a chance to test it out yet) is this one, which is supposed to be the "always on" cheat (Ctrl+F activated).
boolProp QuarterTilePlacementEnabled true
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 4th Jun 2021 at 6:09 PM
Checked both versions of quarterTile also checked if it works after deleting some commends and still nothing
Mad Poster
#9 Old 4th Jun 2021 at 7:10 PM
Have you tried removing the "opis" "opis" lines?

Also, have you reinstalled the full game including M&G (or the UC)? The quartertile cheat won't work without M&G.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#10 Old 4th Jun 2021 at 7:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Aysarth
The text of my userstartup.cheat file is as follows: everything in it works without errors.

boolProp testingCheatsEnabled true
boolprop dontMergeNHFlora false
boolprop allow45DegreeAngleOfRotation true
boolprop showCatalogEPFlags true
uintProp lotSkirtSizeIncrease 88
setHighestAllowedLevel 8

Interesting- at least we know that line isn't breaking Bergaroth's file. Thanks for the info!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 4th Jun 2021 at 8:09 PM
I have Ultimate Collection, so yeah I have M&G, and about removing "opis" I'll check this out tomorow 'cause I'm kinda busy at the moment. But I don't think that's it because on simswiki was ' alias string "commend" "short description" "long description" ' so it shouldn't break the file
Mad Poster
#12 Old 4th Jun 2021 at 8:15 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 5th Jun 2021 at 3:10 AM.
I don't think the "opis" "opis" should matter, but it could be it's bugging out something, so you may want to try removing it just to test.

You don't really need the short/long descriptions for the alias cheats. I've removed those from mine, and the alias cheats work fine without. The cheat only needs the alias, short form, and long form of the cheat it's replacing. The description is meant as a help for remembering what the cheat is doing. I've only kept text for a few cheats I don't use too often, if they need special treatment or activation.

This format (alias short "cheat") is fine, shown below:
alias mon "moveObjects on"
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#13 Old 4th Jun 2021 at 9:30 PM
Also double check that your file extrension is correct, if it is .txt it won't work.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 5th Jun 2021 at 7:15 AM
Extrension is correct, deleting descriptions didn't work and changing QuarterTile to alias also isn't helping
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 5th Jun 2021 at 8:01 AM
Copied Aysarth's cheats and still didn't work so seems like the problem is not in commends. It could be file name which is unlikely 'cause i checked it 100 times and it's correct so probably game itself doesn't want to read a file for some reason.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#16 Old 5th Jun 2021 at 11:03 AM
Just for the heck of it, try this one and see if that works:
https://simfileshare.net/download/2522197/
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#17 Old 5th Jun 2021 at 11:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Bergaroth
Copied Aysarth's cheats and still didn't work so seems like the problem is not in commends. It could be file name which is unlikely 'cause i checked it 100 times and it's correct so probably game itself doesn't want to read a file for some reason.

Might want to check that it doesn't have a hidden extra file extension past the .cheat that you can see.
https://www.techadvisor.com/how-to/...nsions-3697651/

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#18 Old 5th Jun 2021 at 11:14 AM
That's what I was thinking Jo, if Bergaroth tries the one I uploaded it will eliminate that possibility.
Mad Poster
#19 Old 5th Jun 2021 at 1:55 PM
Have you checked that the rest of the files in the TheSims2 Documents location are working like they should? Chances are, if one file isn't working, others may not be working either, especially after a reinstall.

If you're working from a backup (always make sure to backup the files first if you haven't), moving out the files and letting the TheSims2 folder (or whichever folder/files you're having issues with) regenerate, and then cut/paste the info back can sometimes help (if you do this to the Neighborhood folders, make sure to replace the folders in full. Also never let folders overwrite! For files like the cheat file it's best to copy/paste the info from one to another if you have issues with the file itself not working).

Also, are you using Windows10? In which case, make sure you're not messing about with the OneDrive location - it may be trying to make a backup of the Documents folder, but files saved there won't work ingame, and things can get a bit messy. Unless you actually use the OneDrive function, it can be a good idea to deactivate it in the settings.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#20 Old 5th Jun 2021 at 3:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Just for the heck of it, try this one and see if that works:
https://simfileshare.net/download/2522197/

IT WORKED!
The only difference between this two files was capitalization which is weird because I had this file named as "userStartup" before and it didn't worked and usually I am very careful about file extensions so it wasn't the case. Anyway thank you all very much <3
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#21 Old 5th Jun 2021 at 4:45 PM
Great! I'm glad it worked!
Theorist
#22 Old 5th Jun 2021 at 5:43 PM Last edited by topp : 6th Jun 2021 at 11:26 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
The new one I copied from the tip someone posted (haven't had a chance to test it out yet) is this one, which is supposed to be the "always on" cheat (Ctrl+F activated).
boolProp QuarterTilePlacementEnabled true
I posted that tip a while ago, after fiddling with the game logs one afternoon.

setQuarterTilePlacement [on/off] is an alias of boolProp quarterTilePlacement [true/false] cheat, which works properly and enables the placement mode (which is then toggled seamlessly in-game by CTRL+F).

I would label the setQuarterTilePlacement as deprecated, because the said cheat:
1) breaks the rest of the userStartup.cheat file (needs to be the last line of the file), edit: it seems to break the file for some, but not all simmers
2) actually doesn't work, because it requires another alias on top of itself (or just straight-up re-entering the cheat in-game) to activate the functionality in question - therefore, having the line in the file is redundant.

Also, in hopes that this reaches people who are constructing their own userStartup.cheat file: there really, really is no need to write the "short desc" "long description" part after declaring an alias and linking it to a cheat. It probably made sense for the developers; but if you're declaring your own aliases, you probably know damn well what both the original and aliased cheat do.

Therefore, use:
alias con "boolProp constrainFloorElevation true"
alias munny motherlode

instead of:
alias con "boolProp constrainFloorElevation true" "cfe yes" "I am A MaXis DeveLopER And ThiS ChEAT dOES teRRaiN stUFF"
alias munny motherlode "MotherLode" "MOTHERLODE"
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#23 Old 5th Jun 2021 at 7:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by topp
setQuarterTilePlacement [on/off] is an alias of boolProp quarterTilePlacement [true/false] cheat, which works properly and enables the placement mode (which is then toggled seamlessly in-game by CTRL+F).

Oh, that explains it!

Quote: Originally posted by topp
I would label the setQuarterTilePlacement as deprecated, because the said cheat:
1) breaks the rest of the userStartup.cheat file (needs to be the last line of the file),

That's not what @Aysarth says in post #6, I just have it as an alias in mine so haven't tested it.
Mad Poster
#24 Old 5th Jun 2021 at 8:32 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 5th Jun 2021 at 11:00 PM.
I don't think having the "setQuarterTilePlacement on/off" cheats high up would break the cheats below, because I've had it quite high up in my cheat file as a regular alias for quite some time (before figuring out about the other one) and I've never noticed it breaking anything. The cheats below have worked fine.

Sometimes the game is picky about the caps, other times not. Possibly more of an issue with older systems?

My userstartup is named "userStartup.cheat" (is labeled as a ".cheat" file). That's the regular filename, anyway.
Theorist
#25 Old 5th Jun 2021 at 8:53 PM
Sorry, you're right. It's the bugJarTimeDecay off that breaks it; I got the two confused. I never found out if that cheat is an alias of another boolProp, or is it a cheat on its own (like moveObjects).
Page 1 of 2