Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Oct 2021 at 11:07 PM
Default same sex attraction?
I want to start a new game with high sim free will, with little to no manipulation from me. I want to see how the sims will act with each other, and if any sims will be attracted to each other and get in a romantic relationship. Is it possible for same-sex sims to feel attraction to each other? I know from reading other forums that if the player makes a sim flirt with the same-sex, they'll automatically be attracted to the same sex from then on, but is that the case with no manipulation from the player?
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 25th Oct 2021 at 12:47 AM
Yes it is possible without player intervention as it has happened quite a few times in my game with high free-will. And it does not matter if it is within the active household or an inactive one. It is also possible for Sims to switch their sexual orientation which I noticed with one of my Sims. She went from having a major crush on a teen boy to, I suspect, getting involved with the older teen brother of said crush instead who wasn't honest with his intentions, and now she seems to have a strong dislike for males as she aged up along the rest of her peers. She clearly showcases her interest in females only and gets upset when a male tries to move in on a female she is trying to woo.

Another quick example is two male best friends but one of them is clearly hinting at wanting to be more than friends while the other ignores the subtlety. I notice the one who ignores has become more distant but the other refuses to let the friendship die. These sort of things eventually become obvious to me and can to anyone who pays attention and knows how to read people which also translate to reading the Sims as the A.I. imitates human behavior. But of course those who play with high free will, will find a lot of interesting things about the A.I. like unrequited love. Additionally, keeping track of what goes on in each Sim's lives and the significance to the relationships they form are also key to understanding the bigger picture. Switching households allows me to see various POV's of the Sims and learn a lot more this way than just focus on one household indefinitely. I like to describe each Sim/Household like a small part of the puzzle. So when I play with most or all the Sims to better understand each Sim A.I. and life will better fill out the overall picture of the puzzle to see how it all fits and relates to each other.

Though in TS3, the real-time simulation allows the story to keep changing and growing and stay interesting if one is observant to catch a lot of the complexities.

Previous Game: Batman Arkham Asylum GOTY Edition (100% riddles completed; now I know why I've always been fascinated with The Riddler, lol.)

Next Game: Batman Arkham City GOTY Edition
Mad Poster
#3 Old 25th Oct 2021 at 2:20 AM Last edited by igazor : 25th Oct 2021 at 8:47 PM.
Not to sound less than romantic or anything, but like so many other things in the game gender prefs come down to a bunch of numbers. Using mods to see these values but not influence them in any way (NRaas MasterController with the MC Cheats module will do this), we find that by default all sims brought into or becoming of age in the game start out with the following gender prefs for romance:

Same Gender = 0; Opposite Gender = 0 (not yet attracted to either gender but can be very easily influenced) OR more commonly
Same Gender = -1; Opposite Gender = 2 (ever so slightly straight, can still be influenced the "other way")

It really doesn't take much in the way of successful, positively received early types of romantic/flirty overtures to change a sim's mind at these stages, but the sim has to be friendly and receptive enough towards the advances for them to work and without player involvement much will be left to chance and the availability of otherwise compatible sims of either gender around them. The early flirt commands that can be successful at these stages include things like "What's your sign?," "Are you single?," and sometimes, after a bit of chatting up, "Admire Personality/Appearance" or the equivalent. A sim of either gender who rushes in for the kiss or something even more too soon and when the other sim in just not in the mood to be receptive will score as a negative and the gender prefs for the sims above will instead adjust the other way.

After a sim has plenty of experience in dealing with others,, which would not be so at the start of a game whether or not they are in a relationship, we would expect some to remain in the realm of the undecided or easily swayed while others will tend towards the high positives for one gender but the high negatives for the other (straight or gay), while others will pick up high positive values for both genders (bi). And, as in real life, some will tend towards the high negatives for both genders and not really be attracted to either (asexual a-romantic).

Sims can also act contrary to their gender pref scores if one or more sims they are around are attractive enough, depending on which or whose attraction formula is being used, to overcome the "wrong gender" penalty on the attraction score.

Mods can be used to do more than get readings if desired, such as to push newly created and just aging up to teen sims in one direction, another, both, or neither randomly or according to percentage chances if the player gets tired of all the clean slates arriving in town as time passes.
Scholar
#4 Old 25th Oct 2021 at 4:52 PM
Igazor.
Im not sure if you can actually have an a-sexual Sim in the The Sims 3,
because that doesnt really have anything to do with gender preference, but rather it would basically a sim avoiding woohoo, similiare to the unfirty, never nude traits. If a sim has both negative gender preference, they would still try to flirt and woohoo with other sims, though?

I'm personally hetero-romantic (female prefering guys) and a-sexual (which is why i reacted on that). You can still be attracted to one gender or both. :P

Although personally I focused playing generational game play but with high free will , but I tends set each sim on hetero in Master controller personally, due to realism I don't like the other type of pregnancies, So I have never seen that happen which basically turn a sim into a celibate, because all of my sims has kids.

and to OP.
I think its the same in any of the sims franchises. They dont have a gender preference at first, and based on who start the flirting, will affect it. Even without controlling, eventually a sim with high relationship or already determed gender preference will do that. ยด
Mad Poster
#5 Old 25th Oct 2021 at 7:26 PM
Okay you are of course correct, that's not what asexual is and I should stop calling it that. Can you suggest a better term? Not that one should be so addicted to labels, but having a better one would still balance out the picture where there are essentially four possibilities for an orientation. Or, I guess five if we include totally undecided.

None of this is all that realistic of course, human sexuality is much more complex than a simple set of two scores can represent.

But there really isn't another factor in the game that would account for sims who are same- or different-gender romantic while not generally attracted to either. If a sim with both negative values is in a committed and successful relationship with another, it means they are very fond of that sim, one would hope, regardless of gender to the point where they have built or are building their lives together, but will still at all times carry the heavy penalty against the attraction score. That doesn't mean celibate or even unflirty either, just that their attraction for that sim is strong enough to overcome the obstacle and for all we know (it's none of our business usually if it's not our own actively played sims) they still happily romance and woohoo on a regular basis.
Scholar
#6 Old 25th Oct 2021 at 8:06 PM
Igazor:
Not being attracted to anyone is A-romantic (shortened aro),
when they ends with "sexual", its the "woohoo" (use the sims term for more PG friendly) aspect. But I prefer to call it just ACE, its shorten form, because I find it more versatile and include all variations

There is also PAN which is very similare to ACE, where are people who doesnt care what gender you have, but in the Sims, they are probably just the same as Bi people.

I dont really like labeling myself either but its one those LGBTQIA's that often get misunderstood just like transgender compared to crossdresser and may cause reactions from those involved in it. I was harrashed (always get assumed Im a lesbian) and been told to seek therapy because of it so thats why Im a abit senisitive with LBGT , but I hope I didnt come across rude for pointng it out )
Mad Poster
#7 Old 25th Oct 2021 at 8:46 PM
Not at all rude! I just felt bad for so consistently using the wrong term. I've always liked ACE as far as labels go, it just sounds cool. Or maybe I am personally channeling "Ace & Gary," but I'll try to cope with that myself. A-romantic/Aro it is then, until I get it wrong again, and hopefully will be corrected again if so. But I know most folks will be patient with these mistakes when they aren't meant to be malicious or unfriendly.
Scholar
#8 Old 25th Oct 2021 at 9:18 PM
You can give the sims an Unflirty trait and that's more like asexual than aromantic, I think.
Forum Resident
#9 Old 29th Oct 2021 at 12:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by saarahz13
I want to start a new game with high sim free will, with little to no manipulation from me. I want to see how the sims will act with each other, and if any sims will be attracted to each other and get in a romantic relationship. Is it possible for same-sex sims to feel attraction to each other? I know from reading other forums that if the player makes a sim flirt with the same-sex, they'll automatically be attracted to the same sex from then on, but is that the case with no manipulation from the player?

@saarahz13: Totally ! According to what I know, traits combinations help to determine the woohoo orientation of a sim.But do not ask me more about this subject. I know traits are powerful than EAXis propaganda hyped and they are complex.
You'll see this if you install the Nrass MasterController and turn around the option about attractions. You'll see some of your female and male are attracted naturally for the same sex of them.

I speak French only. If my statements are harsh, rude for you, that's not intentional. I just think Different due to my Language and my Culture.
But truly, I am open-minded than you think of.
Forum Resident
#10 Old 29th Oct 2021 at 12:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lucy kemnitzer
You can give the sims an Unflirty trait and that's more like asexual than aromantic, I think.

Honestely I don't know but according to the description you are right. I am testing this trait on my simself wait and see (because I am unflirty in RL). I just hope this trait as not as we have in the sims 4 because that's a nonsense !!

and I hope the Socially awkward trait is ok for a light autistic person because I don't find myself in the traits there !

I speak French only. If my statements are harsh, rude for you, that's not intentional. I just think Different due to my Language and my Culture.
But truly, I am open-minded than you think of.