Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Oct 2021 at 8:07 PM
Default How do I change the job outfit for a custom career I'm making?
I tried looking at the guide included on Career Creator 3 but I still don't get how to change the job outfit. I want to change the outfit to a male swimsuit.
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 29th Oct 2021 at 5:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SnowThatIsntYellow
I tried looking at the guide included on Career Creator 3 but I still don't get how to change the job outfit. I want to change the outfit to a male swimsuit.

Clothing in The Sims usually gives a gender along with it -- M or F -- and a skin color -- drk, lgt, or med -- and a body type -- fat, fit, or skn. You don't want to have to specify all of that for the career outfits, because that would be EIGHTEEN outfit names.

So there's a shorthand. You only specify the part that DOESN'T include skin color or body type, then use wild cards to tell the game to fill in the skin color and body type of the specific sim in the job.

So, here's an example:

This is from level 3 of the Science career. Under "Male Mesh," you can see that the mesh is listed as Science$g$b_01. That means that the mesh is Science, with $g substituting for the gender and $b substituting for the body type.

The texture is listed as Science$g$c_01, which again means that you use the Science texture with $g again substituting for the gender and $c for the color.

I made a Starfleet career -- from Star Trek -- for my game, and here's a sample of how that's specified:

Since my Male Mesh is listed as B003$gA$b_01, you can see that I used a mesh that's already in the game. I used mesh B003, then gave $gA for wild card gender adult and $b for wild card body type. I added the _01 because all of the other career meshes used it, so I thought it might help. :-)

For the texture, I have CStarR$g$c_01. Where'd I get THAT from? I made up the first part. C is for my name -- Corylea -- Star is because this is the Starfleet career, and R is because this is the red version, not the blue or gold version that I'll need for other career levels. I could have used any short string, as long as that string was exactly the same as the name of the textures I'd made. Then $g for gender again, $c for color again, and _01. This should be starting to look familiar now!

Because the neck and arms and legs are included in the texture file, you must have one for every skin color in the game. So you tell the Career Creator program to use wild cards for the textures, but in the Skins folder, you actually need textures for all three skin colors. However, you DON'T need to specify body types in the textures, because the game will stretch whichever texture you give it around whichever mesh is required. My Starfleet skins, for example come in six files just for the red version, with six more for blue, six for gold, and six for white, like this:

Does it work? Yes! It works:

The documentation that comes with Career Creator says this, and I find it pretty straightforward:

Male/female mesh: This is where you choose the body mesh. There is a special way to name these, so pay attention. There is a coding system in The Sims, that automatically translates three things: it translates $b to the body type of the sim, like Fat, Fit and Skn (Skinny). Then, we have $c which is translated to Lgt (Light), Med (Medium) or Drk (Dark). Finally there is $g which is translated to M (male) or F (female). This way The Sims can select the optimal mesh for your sim, based on body type, gender and skin color. Usually you don't need to use $c and because you can input a mesh name for a male and for a female sim, you wouldn't need gender either. Maxis sometimes uses $g and leaves the Female mesh field empty, and sometimes they don't. Just take a look at how they did it. Warning: you must be very precise in what you type. If you type B002MA$b_01 here, there must be a B002MAFit_01.cmx, a B002MAFat_01.cmx and a B002MASkn_01.cmx file or The Sims might crash. (If you use Windows, it's not case sensitive, fortunately.)

Skin/Texture: This is where you choose the so-called skin (texture). It uses the same coding as the mesh field so read that part well. The skin or texture files are usually named something like Pilot$g$c_01, which means there should be files like PilotMlgt_01.bmp (male light) and PilotFmed_01.bmp (female medium) etc.

Good luck!
Screenshots

I've made some mods for The Sims 1 -- yes, The Sims ONE :-) -- which you can find at http://corylea.com/Sims1ModsByCorylea.html
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 29th Oct 2021 at 6:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Corylea
Clothing in The Sims usually gives a gender along with it -- M or F -- and a skin color -- drk, lgt, or med -- and a body type -- fat, fit, or skn. You don't want to have to specify all of that for the career outfits, because that would be EIGHTEEN outfit names.

So there's a shorthand. You only specify the part that DOESN'T include skin color or body type, then use wild cards to tell the game to fill in the skin color and body type of the specific sim in the job.

So, here's an example:

This is from level 3 of the Science career. Under "Male Mesh," you can see that the mesh is listed as Science$g$b_01. That means that the mesh is Science, with $g substituting for the gender and $b substituting for the body type.

The texture is listed as Science$g$c_01, which again means that you use the Science texture with $g again substituting for the gender and $c for the color.

I made a Starfleet career -- from Star Trek -- for my game, and here's a sample of how that's specified:

Since my Male Mesh is listed as B003$gA$b_01, you can see that I used a mesh that's already in the game. I used mesh B003, then gave $gA for wild card gender adult and $b for wild card body type. I added the _01 because all of the other career meshes used it, so I thought it might help. :-)

For the texture, I have CStarR$g$c_01. Where'd I get THAT from? I made up the first part. C is for my name -- Corylea -- Star is because this is the Starfleet career, and R is because this is the red version, not the blue or gold version that I'll need for other career levels. I could have used any short string, as long as that string was exactly the same as the name of the textures I'd made. Then $g for gender again, $c for color again, and _01. This should be starting to look familiar now!

Because the neck and arms and legs are included in the texture file, you must have one for every skin color in the game. So you tell the Career Creator program to use wild cards for the textures, but in the Skins folder, you actually need textures for all three skin colors. However, you DON'T need to specify body types in the textures, because the game will stretch whichever texture you give it around whichever mesh is required. My Starfleet skins, for example come in six files just for the red version, with six more for blue, six for gold, and six for white, like this:

Does it work? Yes! It works:

The documentation that comes with Career Creator says this, and I find it pretty straightforward:

Male/female mesh: This is where you choose the body mesh. There is a special way to name these, so pay attention. There is a coding system in The Sims, that automatically translates three things: it translates $b to the body type of the sim, like Fat, Fit and Skn (Skinny). Then, we have $c which is translated to Lgt (Light), Med (Medium) or Drk (Dark). Finally there is $g which is translated to M (male) or F (female). This way The Sims can select the optimal mesh for your sim, based on body type, gender and skin color. Usually you don't need to use $c and because you can input a mesh name for a male and for a female sim, you wouldn't need gender either. Maxis sometimes uses $g and leaves the Female mesh field empty, and sometimes they don't. Just take a look at how they did it. Warning: you must be very precise in what you type. If you type B002MA$b_01 here, there must be a B002MAFit_01.cmx, a B002MAFat_01.cmx and a B002MASkn_01.cmx file or The Sims might crash. (If you use Windows, it's not case sensitive, fortunately.)

Skin/Texture: This is where you choose the so-called skin (texture). It uses the same coding as the mesh field so read that part well. The skin or texture files are usually named something like Pilot$g$c_01, which means there should be files like PilotMlgt_01.bmp (male light) and PilotFmed_01.bmp (female medium) etc.

Good luck!

Thanks, but now I have a different problem I don't know how I solved it before but now Career Creator 3 is saying that it cannot load the CarPortal.iff file and that it cannot load the careers. My Sims 1 Game is installed on my External Hard Drive and so is Career Creator 3. Is there anyway to fix this?
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 29th Oct 2021 at 6:52 PM
Thanks, but now I have a different problem I don't know how I solved it before but now Career Creator 3 is saying that it cannot load the CarPortal.iff file and that it cannot load the careers. My Sims 1 Game is installed on my External Hard Drive and so is Career Creator 3. Is there anyway to fix this?

Have you moved your Sims 1 game to a different directory since installing it? Have you installed any mods that alter the CarPortal.iff or Work.iff files?

I've made some mods for The Sims 1 -- yes, The Sims ONE :-) -- which you can find at http://corylea.com/Sims1ModsByCorylea.html
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 29th Oct 2021 at 6:57 PM
Have you moved your Sims 1 game to a different directory since installing it? Have you installed any mods that alter the CarPortal.iff or Work.iff files?

No when installing it I set the correcct directory which is my external hard drive and I never moved my Sims 1 game. I'm pretty sure I don't have any mods that alter those iff files.
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 29th Oct 2021 at 7:15 PM
No when installing it I set the correcct directory which is my external hard drive and I never moved my Sims 1 game. I'm pretty sure I don't have any mods that alter those iff files.

The career you're making alters the Work.iff file, so you do have at least one mod in there. :-)

It sounds as if those files have gotten corrupted while you were working on your career. Try taking the Work.iff file out of your Expansion Shared folder; move it to your desktop or something; that will require the game to use the Work.iff file that's in ExpansionShared.far. Also take CarPortal.iff out of your GameData/Objects folder, which will make the game use the CarPortal.iff that's in your Objects.far file.

I don't know if you made an incompatible change to those files while making your career or if the CareerCreator program just screwed up somehow, but taking out the files you've been working on should put your game back to normal.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 29th Oct 2021 at 7:45 PM
The career you're making alters the Work.iff file, so you do have at least one mod in there. :-)

It sounds as if those files have gotten corrupted while you were working on your career. Try taking the Work.iff file out of your Expansion Shared folder; move it to your desktop or something; that will require the game to use the Work.iff file that's in ExpansionShared.far. Also take CarPortal.iff out of your GameData/Objects folder, which will make the game use the CarPortal.iff that's in your Objects.far file.

I don't know if you made an incompatible change to those files while making your career or if the CareerCreator program just screwed up somehow, but taking out the files you've been working on should put your game back to normal.

I tried that but it didn't work so I'm going to just work on the career on my PC at home after my vacation is over. Thanks for the help.
Test Subject
#8 Old 1st Aug 2022 at 8:19 AM
I'm assuming that this means that you can't add props to uniforms given that it will only load one texture file?

I want add the drill instructor hat from the SimsFreak site to the uniform of a park ranger career I'm making. Would it be possible to have the mesh file link to a prop (which links to a prop texture) like what you do for a normal skin, provided that it is all in the skin folder, or will the program simply not recognise these extra props?

(And if it does work, does anyone know of if there are any extracted Claire the Bear Skins and meshes so I can create my Forest Safety Mascot rank uniform?)
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 1st Aug 2022 at 8:15 PM
I haven't tried attaching props, so someone else will have to answer that, but I can help with this:

Quote: Originally posted by Thetford34
(does anyone know of if there are any extracted Claire the Bear Skins and meshes so I can create my Forest Safety Mascot rank uniform?)

The Claire the Bear skins are in Hot Date's far file, ExpansionPack3.far. It's BearFfat_hairy for the body and CBearFfat_hairy for the head. FarOut will extract them for you.