Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Former Hamster
retired moderator
Original Poster
#26 Old 27th Mar 2010 at 9:21 PM Last edited by mustluvcatz : 28th Mar 2010 at 10:05 PM.
*haunting my own thread* I'm using her templates for a 1-story set to go with the 2-story windows. They're awesome. Wish she would have done a 2-story template. I'm sure I can use one/them to do a new 2-story window but - here's the question!- if I did that, can I just extract my current masks and add them? I put a fair bit of work into getting those masks just right.

Ah..come to think about it- there'd be the shadow to do, too. Shadows are definitely NOT my friend.

Edit: I was having a slight problem with the smaller window's diagonal- but I figured it out. Yay me..lol. Now, for some reason the shadow doesn't show on the smaller one but it IS there on the double window. Kind of odd considering they're the same mesh, just resized. You might have to strain your eyes to see it, but it IS there on the double window. I wanted it to be very subtle. And subtle it is. (It makes a difference though!)

Another edit: The shadows are all the way I want them now. Yay! The 2-story window was messed up so much (accidentally saved over it instead of saving as) that I'm redoing that one..then on to getting the door working right. *crosses fingers*
Screenshots
Advertisement
Former Hamster
retired moderator
Original Poster
#27 Old 29th Mar 2010 at 7:47 AM
Oh..I'm gonna scream. Can anyone tell me why my door won't work? Er, actually I don't mean work..I mean I started over again on it. The new meshes are imported, everything is done. I made sure to commit, save, fix integrity..but when I go in game, the door that's there is the old one. WTH? If I preview the mesh in SimPE, my new mesh is there. The file names aren't the same- in fact, I put the old one in the Recycle Bin so it's not even in my dl folder. So why is the one in game the old one? I'm really confused and fed up here!

The good news is that the windows are done. I got the shadow to show up on the 2-story window by linking it to the small window shadow. Yay!
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#28 Old 29th Mar 2010 at 10:04 AM
Hmm
I had this, it seems to me that you got tired (after a while my eyes start to cross) and did not actually CLONE the door. I am guessing that is the case, or you cloned a bad door - an example of a DO NOT CLONE is the well wisher window - maybe try a different door. This is what I do...

1) Take a DEEEEEEP breath
2) Open SIMPE, go to object workshop and clone a new door.
3) Transfer all my meshes/textures/wallmasks.
4) Apply GUID, fix integrity etc
5) Test in game and go YAY!!!

Really.

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
Former Hamster
retired moderator
Original Poster
#29 Old 29th Mar 2010 at 7:49 PM
Hmm.. I KNOW I cloned it. Ah well, I'll find a different one. *sob* It's that or the windows don't get a door to go with them.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
Original Poster
#30 Old 1st Apr 2010 at 1:53 AM
ROFL! The answer to the door was staring me right in the face! It's there now- at least I know I did clone a door. The door I cloned must have needed an EP I don't have? I thought I'd try making it basegame in SimPE- voila. The door is there now. It's way too tall- so I've got to work on it. Just thought I'd prove I'm not going senile.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
Original Poster
#31 Old 23rd Apr 2010 at 3:20 AM
Instead of starting a new thread: I've done a single door to go with the set that's already done. (Don't know why I didn't in the first place.) The straight version is fine. The diagonal?? Well, it's not. I don't know what I've done wrong and I don't have a screenshot..but the door is in the right place and the frame is over to the side. I thought maybe I didn't do it right, so I did it again. Nothing changed. I'm pretty sure that N is N and S is S since I'm pretty anal about that. (Big, neon flashing capitals in my file names..lol.) That's the only thing I can think of that might be wrong though- that I used the N frame for the S and vice versa. Any ideas? Sometimes a fresh eye/mind helps.
Field Researcher
#32 Old 23rd Apr 2010 at 7:08 AM
The door and the frame in the original might be slightly displaced. I *seem* to remember that happening to me once and that it was a real hassle to get them to line up, although I can't remember what Maxis door I had cloned from. But try to check where the door is placed in relation to the doorframe in the diagonal original. That might give you a clue.

Moune's Neighbourhood
If you need a cool place for your sims to chill out.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#33 Old 23rd Apr 2010 at 3:25 PM
There once was a door...

That EA had the frame in one position and the door in another, and they were brought together in the cres. No idea what they were smoking when they did that! Sadly I can't remember which door, but I thought it was the straight version but who knows. I also get the N & S backwards - even though I was sure I did it right. LoL I clone without changing the filenames, just so I can keep the original meshes. Then I clone and rename. So I now have the obvious original meshes that I never save over, plus my clone ones which I modify. I also bring both the frame and the door in Wings/MS at the same time just to see how they line up, including both N/S. In MS you need to rename the group names to keep them from auto regrouping before importing the next.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
Original Poster
#34 Old 23rd Apr 2010 at 5:29 PM
Thanks Moune and HL. This door has been sitting in a folder since I did the recolors for the set. There's something I want to finish up before I look at it again later..today..probably. I can't remember the name of the door but it's the small shop-type one that goes with the double door I already did. Maybe I DID mess up N and S. But, I had both of them in MS (renamed like HL said- I learned that the hard way) and they were fine there.

Well, if need be I know I can always use a different door and edit the mask. I just don't like this one being a brat.
Field Researcher
#35 Old 23rd Apr 2010 at 9:04 PM
Ha! Good to know that I was probably right about the displaced door and frame. Well done, Maxis, once again. And yeah, I do the same as you guys. First thing after cloning I export the original mesh and leave it untouched so I can always use it for reference.

Good luck with it, Mustluvcatz. I hope you get it sorted out. By the way, I'm not completely sure I know the door you're referring to, but if it's the one I'm thinking of, isn't that a Nightlife or OfB door? If so, why not clone from a basegame door instead.

Moune's Neighbourhood
If you need a cool place for your sims to chill out.
Page 2 of 2