Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Dec 2015 at 6:52 AM
Default Guide/Advice on correctly connecting vertices?
A few days ago I finally decided to dive in and try my luck at meshing. I followed a couple of beginner guides that made tables, and since have just experimented by tracing pictures and extruding, learning what effects what (I'm using Milkshape as that's the program I hear most about). I've actually surprised myself with how quickly I've learned the terms and concepts, but there's one aspect I'm really struggling to wrap my head around, being connecting vertices to make faces.

Every guide I've read so far does not explain how to correctly match these up, other than saying to connect counter clockwise. I've been studying some premade models such as the "Measure of a Sim" object (the little decorative wooden man), and more complicated ones like a Solid Snake model. I should note I'm looking at these humanoid type shapes because I'd like to make a decorative doll figurine eventually.

My test objects have so far gone well, but the thing that always puts me back to square one is finding that certain faces are also connected to other vertices further away, which means unwanted parts of the objects are being pulled along with the intended part. I find this part incredibly confusing, especially once faces have already been made.

I hope I've made some sense. This appears to be confusing only to me, as I can find no questions or tutorials relating to it.

"It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Truth will not fear scrutiny.
Advertisement
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#2 Old 20th Dec 2015 at 7:20 AM
There might be an easier way or a better way.. the way I select vertices is in 3D view while holding down Shift+Alt. You can control which you select that way and if you accidentally select the wrong one, holding Shift+Alt while right-clicking will deselect.
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th Dec 2015 at 7:32 AM
It's not really selecting them that's the problem, it's how to know which vertices to connect together over neighbouring ones.

"It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#4 Old 20th Dec 2015 at 7:58 AM
Sorry, I totally misunderstood.
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 20th Dec 2015 at 8:29 AM
No worries

Scholar
Original Poster
#6 Old 21st Dec 2015 at 7:53 AM
Update, I've worked it out through trial and error, finally. Stupid me.

May I keep this thread going as a personal stupid/random questions about MIlkshape?