Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Former Hamster
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Jan 2010 at 12:10 AM Last edited by mustluvcatz : 21st Jan 2010 at 3:57 AM. Reason: added info and files
Default [SOLVED] Question about meshing chairs - works now, ADDED FILES and another question!
I've been working on a chair to match a table I did. The chair crashed my game, which didn't surprise me. Obviously I've missed something important..
I assume it's because it's an animated type of object and has to do with the joints? I could've sworn I read something about this awhile back and can't find it now.
So, can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 19th Jan 2010 at 1:01 AM
Did you use a base game chair to clone from?

I've cloned a lot of chairs and never assigned any joints to any, all my chairs work perfectly.
I don't think it's necessary to assign joints to chairs, only beds, dressers, those kind of objects.

You can find more of my stuff here: http://www.blackpearlsims.com/downloads.php
Former Hamster
retired moderator
Original Poster
#3 Old 19th Jan 2010 at 1:09 AM
Yes, the Oaktowne East Side Dining Chair. Since it can be recolored with no problem, I figured cloning it wouldn't be a problem. It has the basic shape that I wanted- even though my chair looks nothing like it. Should I try a different one?
I should mention that I tested it with my table in the folder, too- but I'm pretty sure the table isn't the problem since I'd already tested it out and I've already done recolors for it. There were no problems with the table.

Thinking here- I didn't totally redo the seat of the chair. All I did was reshape it so it would meet the frame. Everything meets, there aren't any gaps. Still, could that be why?
Instructor
#4 Old 19th Jan 2010 at 1:30 AM
I'm not familiar with the chair you cloned from, I normally use the 'Diamond' something or other, can't remember the proper name.

No, reshaping the seat wouldn't crash your game, but you obviously did something wrong.
Does the maxis chair have subsets, if so did you replace them correctly?
I'm grasping at straws here, hard to tell what's wrong without seeing the file.

Maybe you should upload it to the repair centre and someone can take a look.

The obvious one ...did you 'fix integrity' and commit, or did you change ALL the GUID's, not just one?

Former Hamster
retired moderator
Original Poster
#5 Old 19th Jan 2010 at 1:59 AM
Yep, it has subsets. And I'm pretty sure I did the "fix integrity and commit" step. There was only one entry in the Object Data, so there was only one GUID?
I'm pretty sure I did the subsets and the "fix integrity and commit" right since I did a recolor of the chair. It recolored fine and the recolor showed up in "preview". I have to say "pretty sure" now. I was sure, now I'm doubting myself. Although I don't think I could have recolored it if something was wrong there.

I thought about uploading it to the repair center- I was hoping it was something simple someone could just read and say "ok, this is where you went wrong".
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#6 Old 19th Jan 2010 at 2:59 AM
Generally changing something in the cres is crashworthy. Maybe a bhav, but if you run with testingcheatsenabled then it will give you the reset/delete option and save a log. If you added a subset and forgot to add the index (or incorrectly) to the main line in the GMND then that will also crash the game.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
Original Poster
#7 Old 19th Jan 2010 at 3:16 AM Last edited by mustluvcatz : 19th Jan 2010 at 3:57 AM.
Hmmmm.. I'm going to redo it. If I get the same problem then I'll post it in the repair center. Maybe a name got changed somewhere along the way. I did that with my table at first- so when I did the chair I was extra careful and double-checked. Still, if it was possible for me to keep putting a number in the wrong place I guess it's possible I changed something I didn't mean to!

What I just said brings up a question- the reason I caught my mistake with the table is that I couldn't recolor it so I went back and checked everything I did. The chair was recolorable with no problem and the recolor is previewable. So, if it's (or any other object) recolorable and previewable in SimPE does that mean that the mistake ISN'T in the steps of adding a recolorable subset?

Edit: GAHHHH! Now the table makes the game crash?!? I tested it and a recolor earlier today and it was fine! I did more recolors of it- is it possible that one of those is making it crash? I've already taken out all my other downloads just so I can test this stuff so there's nothing in there at the moment but the table. And the recolors. At least there's only 7 files, so this should be easy to pinpoint.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
#8 Old 19th Jan 2010 at 6:32 AM
Recolors should not make the game crash, I don't think there is a resource in there worthy of it. If it shows recolorable and previews in SimPE, I would say that no that doesn't mean it won't crash in game.

Try each separately? Where does your game crash? Startup or when selecting the object? Startup is the cres and/or GMND. And believe me your game will crash when you forget to add an index value if you've added a line to the cres.
Instructor
#9 Old 19th Jan 2010 at 6:40 AM
A recolour alone can't crash your game, as far as I know, only a mesh can.
If the mesh has something missing, like HL said that is more likely.
I think it's a good idea to start again, to make sure you do everything correctly.
It's easy to miss a step, I've done it myself in the past.

If you can't get it to work, upload the file and I'm sure someone will find the fault.

Edit: HL beat me to it!

Former Hamster
retired moderator
Original Poster
#10 Old 19th Jan 2010 at 5:17 PM
Thanks Dee and HL. The table may have been figured out. Where the game was crashing with just the table in the dl folder varied- from loading the game to loading a lot.
The chair- I still want to see if I can figure it out. If not, I'll post the file.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
Original Poster
#11 Old 20th Jan 2010 at 7:31 AM
I'm attaching the files here because I would like someone besides me to see if they work alright. If they don't, I'll put them in the repair center.

My question is: My game was wonky- the terrain texture was wrong in neighborhood view, but not in lot view. So I didn't worry about it. Tonight the thumbnails were all wrong, they looked like abstract paintings. Even screenshots were blurry and I had noticed the flash didn't go off in game. I deleted the thumbnails and the other stuff you can delete. Now the game is back to normal. Could that be the reason these wouldn't work? I did redo the chair, but I did it the exact same way. I even had the tutorial I printed out right in front of me to make sure I wasn't missing something.
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: rar  tablenchair.rar (215.7 KB, 6 downloads) - View custom content
Instructor
#12 Old 20th Jan 2010 at 8:50 AM
If your game was wonky, it could be the reason for your problems.
I DL your set (very nice) and had no problems with it...but I didn't go into live mode.

What I noticed on your table, your GUID's are not in sequence.
The top one is 0x00632529
The second one is 0x00632528
The third one is 0x0063252A

Now between 2A and 29 are a lot of numbers, I'm just wondering about that.
But in buy mode the set works fine, no crashes...don't know about live mode.

Former Hamster
retired moderator
Original Poster
#13 Old 20th Jan 2010 at 8:40 PM Last edited by mustluvcatz : 20th Jan 2010 at 9:23 PM.
Thank you, Dee. They worked fine for me in live mode, although I didn't play all that long. About the table, that's probably the wrong table. There are 2 of them on my computer so I'll have to take a look at the other one. Silly me.

Edit: The other table, which is my original unedited "pre-crash" one, has the same GUID's. I had help with it after it crashed and the person who helped changed the OBJD descriptions (I forgot about that part) and updated the MMAT's. Being so new to this I have no idea if I should do the recolors. The table worked fine for me and you - and it worked alright before anything was changed, too. The crashing was a new wrinkle after I did all the recolors but that could have been caused by the game files I deleted. Also, before it crashed it didn't overwrite the game table and it doesn't now. Sorry so wordy- I'm trying to let you know everything that was done. (Or wasn't done, even.)
Instructor
#14 Old 20th Jan 2010 at 11:07 PM
I would suggest you do your recolours and see, I'll do some too and place a sim and hopefully it will work.
I won't be able to do it until this afternoon, it's morning here now.
With the GUID's, I like to keep them in sequence, that way you have less chance to accidently reusing one.
I also keep a list so I know which once I've already used.

Former Hamster
retired moderator
Original Poster
#15 Old 20th Jan 2010 at 11:35 PM
Cool, thanks!
Being as impatient as I am, recolors were done and I just got done checking them out. Everything worked fine. Some of the insets of the table need to be redone but that's my fault...the default texture and 3 of the recolors are stained glass. When recoloring the other 3, I kind of forgot to do it the same way I did the default. So they're too blurry. Other than that, all the other recolors (table and chair) look good. Yay! When I redo those 3 I'll actually play the lot they'll be one for a few sim days to be sure. If they work alright for you, it looks like they can be considered done! I hope.

The GUID thing- I never thought of keeping a list. Thanks for the tip, I'll have to start doing that.
Instructor
#16 Old 20th Jan 2010 at 11:55 PM
Since you're impatient (just like me ) do you still want me to recolour the set or are you thinking it's fixed?

I'm glad I could help in a small way.

Me? Sarcastic? Never.
#17 Old 21st Jan 2010 at 12:02 AM
Well I'm glad you two did all the hard work!

GUIDs out of order do not matter, and the name doesn't either. Although I try to name it descriptively cause in a month I won't remember anything!

I also keep a GUID database, in Excel. When I register a new block I stick the beginning and end values in. I also then can highlight cells and add descriptions to what/where the file is. Such as when I have fixed objects from other creators that were overriding the original. I also can highlight numbers of items I am not using, or even to use temporary GUIDs as I am working on the project.

I actually started this long ago when the GUID database was down and I couldn't register new ones.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
Original Poster
#18 Old 21st Jan 2010 at 12:23 AM
Dee- since I'd love to see recolors, you can still do them if you want. To me, these are fixed but I'm not the expert here! I plan on submitting them (they're good enough, I hope!) so you'd be more than welcome to submit your recolors, too. Sometime down the road that is and assuming you'd want to.

HL- There were a few times I wanted to give up...heehee. I liked the look of these too much to do it though. Seeing the end results in game made me glad I didn't give up. They're mine so I'm biased, but I think they're pretty.
Instructor
#19 Old 21st Jan 2010 at 12:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic

I also keep a GUID database, in Excel. When I register a new block I stick the beginning and end values in. I also then can highlight cells and add descriptions to what/where the file is. Such as when I have fixed objects from other creators that were overriding the original. I also can highlight numbers of items I am not using, or even to use temporary GUIDs as I am working on the project.

I actually started this long ago when the GUID database was down and I couldn't register new ones.

The computer I do my meshes on doesn't have internet access, so right from the beginning I started to write down the GUID numbers with the name of the object and the date.

MLC, I won't be doing recolours then if that's okay, as I'm working on a set for BPS and I got limited time.

I like your dining set too, when I first saw it I thought it was rather nice.

Former Hamster
retired moderator
Original Poster
#20 Old 21st Jan 2010 at 12:57 AM
That's fine, Dee. I appreciate your help (you helped more than you think you did!) and thanks for offering in the first place. I could keep coming up with things to thank you for, but you get the idea.
Instructor
#21 Old 21st Jan 2010 at 1:44 AM
You're welcome!