Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Jul 2010 at 12:38 AM
Default Meshing/Showing up in game
i recently followed the Sims 2 Start to Finish Object Creation tutorial, and when importing the object, it showed 3 default files. And when in game, it only showed the table top, and none of the legs. And when i compared some of the pics/screenshots, my UV map looked nothing like the one they had. I typed in everything the same. im lost, again.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#2 Old 21st Jul 2010 at 3:05 AM
18 views! no one has anything to say? Alright, deleting thread
*shrugs*
retired moderator
#3 Old 21st Jul 2010 at 3:18 AM
18 views is not a lot. Many people are just curious when viewing threads.

If you're having trouble with the tutorial, you might get more help posting in its thread. Attaching your object for others to look wouldn't hurt either. In fact, it would make diagnosing the problem a lot easier.

I don't mind if you call me "MSD" or something for short.
Tumblr
Perhaps someday I'll have leisure time back...
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 21st Jul 2010 at 3:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by maybesomethingdunno
18 views is not a lot. Many people are just curious when viewing threads.

If you're having trouble with the tutorial, you might get more help posting in its thread. Attaching your object for others to look wouldn't hurt either. In fact, it would make diagnosing the problem a lot easier.

k thanks, im just really stressed from this.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#5 Old 21st Jul 2010 at 3:40 AM
Also, just posting the problem without any screenshots doesn't really let anyone see what's going on. To me, it sounds like the legs of the table are a separate subset from the table top and you didn't add them correctly. BUT, I could be wrong. Right now, it's just a guess- being able to see it would help.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 21st Jul 2010 at 4:03 AM Last edited by HugeLunatic : 21st Jul 2010 at 7:07 AM. Reason: Merged posts: 3254052, 3254065
i combined them correctly, also i noticed tha the table shows up twice, ill upload pics in the next post

Okay here is what it looks like in game. i included a rar. of the download to help you guys help diagnose what i did wrong
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#7 Old 21st Jul 2010 at 5:13 AM Last edited by mustluvcatz : 21st Jul 2010 at 3:45 PM.
Well, your table top isn't there. I looked at your mesh and all that's there is the four legs.

Did you get GUIDs for the table? It seems like you didn't and that would be why your table shows up twice in the catalog.

edit: Erm.. forget what I said about the GUIDs here. Was tired and don't know what I was thinking. Your table has GUIDs obviously. I had the "same table showing up twice" thing happen to me, but for the life of me I can't remember why it did that.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 21st Jul 2010 at 5:28 AM Last edited by HugeLunatic : 21st Jul 2010 at 7:09 AM. Reason: Merged posts: 3254130, 3254154
i did all the GUIDs that tutorial called for, and maybe once before i actually meshed. Thanks, i will try it all again and post my results

Omg, it did it again, i got TWO files in the object importer when in the tutorial, only one showed up! heres a pic
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#9 Old 21st Jul 2010 at 6:07 AM
Are you regrouping your table top and the legs into one group before you export it? I don't know how you'd do in in other programs, but in MilkShape you'd select both groups and click regroup. It seems like you're not doing this from looking at the screenshot.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 21st Jul 2010 at 6:09 AM Last edited by HugeLunatic : 21st Jul 2010 at 7:08 AM. Reason: Merged posts: 3254175, 3254179, 3254189
In Wings 3D you combine them, wich i did. I than rename it to tabledining, exportitng it as the name i exported from SimPE. Its all very confusing
to me. Being new and all.

Okay nevermind, reopend the item, it got split into two items, ill combine them again, and see what happens

Neveremind. After combining them, 5 times, checking it 5 times, it still came up as two files in SimPE. Maybe i should try UVmapping differently
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 21st Jul 2010 at 7:15 AM
Oh, sorry
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#13 Old 21st Jul 2010 at 1:59 PM
Since I don't use Wings, I honestly don't know what may be wrong with your mesh/what you might be doing wrong. Making sure "export as a single group" is checked in UVMapper might help, although I can't say for sure it will. (I don't check that box..ever, lol @ myself.)

Out of curiosity, when you go to register a GUID- what are the 2 numbers after 0x00? I usually wouldn't be so nosy, but I looked in the GUID database and if you use the same name you have here (before the name change, that is ) the GUIDs for your table don't look like they're yours.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#14 Old 21st Jul 2010 at 3:29 PM
Well just lovely. Merging ate the pics and the rar! LoL

If the table shows up twice then you have two versions in your downloads folder with two different GUIDs. If you have not changed the GUIDs then it will override whatever you cloned. From the quick view I saw earlier of the image, when importing into SimPE you have two groups - which the table I believe has just one so your not combining them in Wings before exporting. I also never combine groups in UVMapper, I do it all in my 3d program. In Wings you may have to tesselate your faces for SimPE to be able to import them, but I thought this was the default export option for obj.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 21st Jul 2010 at 5:41 PM
I do tesselate, in the tutorial, after you get all four legs, your group those four, rename it legs, and rename the last cube table top, then you tesselate it, export it, open in UVmapper, give it a Planar Map, select by group, selecet legs, give them a box map, dont split fron/back, map soze 512, and i do all that, i then reimport back into Wings3D, group the table top and legs, rename it tabledining, reimport into Uvmapper, save model by the name you exported from SimPE, and the Two files still get imported......
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#16 Old 21st Jul 2010 at 5:54 PM
HL or someone else would probably be able to help you with this better than I (me being a non-Wings user)- but looking at your post: Is it necessary to reimport it back into UVMapper and save it? Doesn't Wings export files that can be imported into SimPE? (wavefront OBJ)

Since I have no idea about Wings, I'm gonna shush now.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 21st Jul 2010 at 6:02 PM Last edited by IndycentSimCreations : 22nd Jul 2010 at 3:59 AM.
The Tutorial said that there is no universal obj. file, and that obj. files imported out of Wings3D are not compatible with SimPE, but ones exported out of UVMapper are. I double check EVERYTHING each time, and now, i have a table that when you go to use it, it doesnt show up, no foot print. Ill kepp trying THE WHOLE TUTORIAL OVER AND OVER AGAIN! Only until i get it right!

Quote: Originally posted by mustluvcatz
Since I don't use Wings, I honestly don't know what may be wrong with your mesh/what you might be doing wrong. Making sure "export as a single group" is checked in UVMapper might help, although I can't say for sure it will. (I don't check that box..ever, lol @ myself.)

Out of curiosity, when you go to register a GUID- what are the 2 numbers after 0x00? I usually wouldn't be so nosy, but I looked in the GUID database and if you use the same name you have here (before the name change, that is ) the GUIDs for your table don't look like they're yours.

i didnt use my MTS user name for the GUID database, i used my original name i was supposed to have, HunterLogan, ive always had that in the GUID database

EDIT: I calmed down, now would it make any difference if i had the newest version of Wings 3D and SimPE, i dont know about UVmapper, i dont think it has versions, but does that make any difference to meshing?

EDIT: Since no one replied, i tried out something else, no the table no longer shows up twice, but the mesh doesnt show. instead of going and uv mapping it like the tuorial, wich was only for exture qaulity, i just uv mapped it like a box, you know, the same heighth in the tutorial, i tessealated the mesh, combined all the parts before uvmapping it. I even gave the object its own GUID before i edited anything. it showed up as a recolor in game.... ILL KEEP EXPIREMENTING!

EDIT: I think i now know whats wrong, i kept forgetting to fix the integrity.

EDIT: I HAVE FIGURED IT OUT, I was FORGETTING TO FIX INTEGRETY!LOL ILL KEEP THIS UP SO PEOPLE WHO HAVE THE SAME PROB CAN MESSAGE ME.