Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Mar 2013 at 9:28 AM
Default Any way to select linked faces/vertices?
Hi!

So I have Milkshape, but I'm kinda a noob at it XD
I'm pretty used to Blender, and there's this action where you click on a vertex and click Select-->Linked or Ctrl+L
It selects things like the shorts of a shirt+short outfit or a ponytail of hair, so I liked using it...
But I haven't successfully found anything like that for Milkshape. Is there an option like such, or maybe there's a plugin that has the feature?
It would really help to know! Thanks!

My Simblr! :P
Advertisement
Sockpuppet
#2 Old 4th Mar 2013 at 5:46 AM
to select the diffrent groups?
You can do that in the groups tab in milkshape
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 5th Mar 2013 at 8:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BloomsBase
to select the diffrent groups?
You can do that in the groups tab in milkshape

Hi, Bloom! :3
I only have one GEOM open though, so it only shows that.
I mean selecting the connected or joined polys/faces.
Thanks anyway! ^^

Mad Poster
#4 Old 5th Mar 2013 at 12:06 PM
Could it be the 'Select', 'Face' option, see below?

Selecting 'Face' instead of 'Vertex' will choose vertices that are connected with each other. Am not sure if that's exactly what you mean, but it might be similar?
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 5th Mar 2013 at 12:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Esmeralda
Could it be the 'Select', 'Face' option, see below?

Selecting 'Face' instead of 'Vertex' will choose vertices that are connected with each other. Am not sure if that's exactly what you mean, but it might be similar?

Hmm... that's the closest to what I'm finding so far, but here are a few pics (if that helps)

I've selected a vertex...

So the cursor is hovering over Select-->Linked which:

TADA!! i seriously love this tool, it saves up so much time! So yeah, that's what I'm looking for XD thanks for replying, esmeralda!

Sockpuppet
#6 Old 5th Mar 2013 at 1:50 PM
saves up so much time to do wat?
Milkshape doesn't have this option tho.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 5th Mar 2013 at 8:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BloomsBase
saves up so much time to do wat?
Milkshape doesn't have this option tho.

Yeah, I didn't think it would :/
I'm trying to delete the top part of this hair but it's really hard without that option XD

Lab Assistant
#8 Old 11th Mar 2013 at 11:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Koolhira
Yeah, I didn't think it would :/
I'm trying to delete the top part of this hair but it's really hard without that option XD

I miss that linked function in Milkshape, too! It is incredibly helpful. I do most of my (clothing) meshing in blender now and only do finishing touches later in Milkshape.

If you're okay with losing the bone assignments, you could export the mesh as .obj and continue to work with it in blender and then reimport it back to milkshape
Technically, you should be able to reassign the bones with Cmar's Meshing Toolkit - I haven't tested it with hairs, though.
Sockpuppet
#9 Old 12th Mar 2013 at 1:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Simlicious
I miss that linked function in Milkshape, too! It is incredibly helpful. I do most of my (clothing) meshing in blender now and only do finishing touches later in Milkshape.

If you're okay with losing the bone assignments, you could export the mesh as .obj and continue to work with it in blender and then reimport it back to milkshape
Technically, you should be able to reassign the bones with Cmar's Meshing Toolkit - I haven't tested it with hairs, though.

I wouldn't recommend Blender for clothing tho unless CMO made a fix for the normals?
If not you have to edit neck, waist and ankle normals for all 5 meshes wich is extra work.(Tookit also needs these fixes)
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#10 Old 12th Mar 2013 at 2:10 AM
LOL, do I see a hint for a Toolkit 'complete seam match' function?

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 12th Mar 2013 at 9:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CmarNYC

I would be ever so grateful for a blender plugin (hint) (hint) *wishful thinking*

ps:bone assignment CAN be exported from Blender (2.49) but the hierarchy has to be restructured manually (renamed),I use a modified Python HalfLife1 Import/Export ...
Sockpuppet
#12 Old 12th Mar 2013 at 11:43 AM Last edited by BloomsBase : 12th Mar 2013 at 11:59 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by CmarNYC

After you created the morphs with Toolkit, Blender or 3DS MAX you always have to fix the normals with Milkshape, so yes, that would be cool.(just match them with a reference mesh?)

And i kinda dissagree with Bobby, instead of all those plugins it might be easier if Toolkit supports OBJ format.
You then can bypass all existing errors on the 3DSMAX/WSO or GEOM plugins.

OBJ format in combination with normal seam fixer would be perfect imo.
Then people can use any 3d editor they like in combination with Toolkit.
You could delete all those GEOM/WSO options in Tookit, just a Toolkit version with:
-Bone matcher
-Seam matcher
-Morph matcher

GEOM or WSO is auto depending wat fomat reference mesh you choose.
Would make things alot simpler not?(that would be mine wishfull thinking lol)

Edit,
well, i say any 3d editor but i ment the ones that do not recalculate the normals on import.(or have the option to disable)
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#13 Old 12th Mar 2013 at 12:58 PM
I'm already working on conversion to/from OBJ. GEOM or WSO -> OBJ is easy; OBJ -> GEOM or WSO will require a reference mesh (can be the original EA mesh if any) to do the bone assignments (OBJ has no bones) and to match neck, waist, and ankle seams which I'll also include. It will use the WSO method of multiple groups (group_base, group_fat, etc.) to support morphs. If everything works this should allow clothes and hair meshing without Milkshape, although Milkshape or Blender will still be needed to tweak bones if necessary.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4