Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Nov 2015 at 12:50 AM Last edited by Butterbot : 29th Jul 2016 at 1:52 AM. Reason: Update
[Mod Released] Grandma's Canning Station Jams/Preserves Fix
The Canning Station currently produces jar of jams and preserves that work as expected in-game. But if lots containing the jars or sims carrying the jars in their inventory are exported to the Library/Bin or get temporarily stored in the clipboard, the jars stop working. When these lots or sims return to the game, the thumbnails and descriptions for the jars are blank, sims reset or abandon the action when interacting with the jars, and sims who have a jar in their inventory are unable to interact with others in their household (the interaction menu does not appear.) This has been further described here: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/dis...our-experiences

I have edited the Canning Station's script such that the jars function normally after export. It works in my game (patch 1.67) without issues. It would be much appreciated if others who bought this store Premium Content can also test this fix. Specifically, I would like to know:

1. whether this fix works without problems for other people;
2. whether this fix works when sims with jars in their inventory travel to vacation worlds, university, the future, or the past (I don't have WA, UL, or ITF installed at the moment and so cannot test this myself, but others have reported similar problems after arriving in a vacation world.)

The attached file is the edited script of the Canning Station object. I'm not sure how to make it into a package file, so you'll have to import the .dll into the object's .package using S3PE for now. I think the Canning Station is 0x268a751876234656bab1812498313f8d in the DCBackup folder.

It'd be great if someone can clue me in as to how to create a package file for this. I used this tutorial as a reference but am confused as to whether an xml file needs to be included in this case, since there's nothing "tunable" to this and I don't see a corresponding xml in the Canning Station's package.

EDIT: Download the .package file attached to post #3 below.

Thanks!
Attached files:
File Type: zip  StoreObjectsJamMakingStation.zip (11.6 KB, 902 downloads) - View custom content
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 23rd Nov 2015 at 2:03 AM
@Butterbot I would be happy to test this for you. I have the canning station, WA, UL, and ITF. However, you do need to put it into package form before you ask for testers. I think this tutorial will help:
http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php..._Object_Modding
When it's ready, reupload and I will test it.

Need help building? Mentoring4Builders: Click Here
Get in the swim- Mermaidia
New at Simszoo
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Nov 2015 at 7:30 PM Last edited by Butterbot : 22nd Feb 2016 at 7:04 AM. Reason: Obsolete attachment removed
Packaged
@attuned: Thanks for being my guinea pig I think I've sussed out the package thing and have attached the file. Looking forward to your feedback.
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#4 Old 28th Nov 2015 at 11:34 PM
As far as I know either NRaas Overwatch or NRaas Traveler also contain a fix for jam jars. So maybe you'd want to check these for compatibility as both of them are widely popular mods.

ETA: Okay, it's Overwatch but it doesn't seem to contain a full fix yet.
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 29th Nov 2015 at 1:39 AM
I run Overwatch in my game as well. It doesn't fix the jam jar export problem as of now.

Since I've been testing the fix in my own game, it has not produced any issues with Overwatch to my knowledge.

As for vacationing/time traveling/going to university, without or without NRaas Traveler, I'm currently not able to test that myself, so any further input would be appreciated.
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 30th Nov 2015 at 10:03 PM
Hi Butterbot I didn't forget about your mod. Thanksgiving happened and I was away. I tested it in the home world, and so far all is well. I will take my sim into the future, on vacation and to uni. I will have all the results sometime this week. Stay tuned...

New at Simszoo
Instructor
Original Poster
#7 Old 1st Dec 2015 at 2:45 AM
No worries I hope you had a happy Thanksgiving. Can't wait to see the results of your testing.
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 4th Dec 2015 at 2:58 AM
Hi Butterbot
Test Results
I tested in a vanilla game, no mods, no cc. The only store content I installed was the canning station.
1.Sims made a bunch of jams and preserves. I went to edit town, moved female sim out. When I went back to male sim, his jars were nameless and not usable. I added female back to household in edit town. Her jars were also nameless and unusable.
2.Added your mod to my mod folder, repeat step 1. This time male sims jars remain usable and named. The same with female sim's jars when she was added back to household.
3.Both sims went to China on vacation. Jars were usable on vacation, and kept their names. On return home, both sims had named, usable jars.
4.Sent male sim to university. Jars remained usable and named in uni town, and when sim returned to home world.
5.Sent both sims to the future. Jars remained usable and named in future, and upon return to home world.

I am happy to test some more if you would like, but mod appears to work just fine.

New at Simszoo
Instructor
Original Poster
#9 Old 4th Dec 2015 at 7:15 AM
Thank you so much for testing this (and for the clear and thorough write-up of the results.) I'm inclined to agree with you that the mod would work for basically any export situation. There are 2 additional scenarios I just thought of now that might be worth covering:

1. putting jam jars on a lot, exporting the lot, then placing the lot in a vacation world;
2. adding a canning station in a vacation world (or at university/in the future), making the jams there, then traveling back home with the jams.

I can't think of a reason why the mod would not work for these 2 cases as well--but I'm paranoid. It'd be great if you can test them out. Thanks again for your help!
Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old 6th Dec 2015 at 11:10 PM
Okay- testing results part 2

1. I put several different varieties of jams on the home lot, and in edit town evicted the family and saved the lot to the library.
2. I placed the lot in France, and changed it to commercial. I also placed a new canning station in France, in the town square.
3. I sent the couple to France. Their jars from home were usable and named. They went to the new commercial lot and the jars there were usable.
4. They made several jars at the new commercial lot and at the canning stove that was in the town square.
5. Back in the home world, all jars (old and new) remained named and usable.

It works, under every possible scenario you came up with. I think it's ready. Congrats!

New at Simszoo
Instructor
Original Poster
#11 Old 7th Dec 2015 at 8:55 PM Last edited by Butterbot : 7th Dec 2015 at 8:55 PM. Reason: Spelling
That's excellent news. Thanks again for all the testing--I wish I could buy you a beer

I think this is good to go, but there are some changes I'd like to make to the canning station which will affect the same DLL. I'm looking into how much work they would require and should have an idea by the week's end. If they are likely to take some time, I'll likely release this fix first so that people can start using it.
Top Secret Researcher
#12 Old 8th Dec 2015 at 8:48 AM
@Butterbot I just realized that I don't remember seeing the interaction to "have with toast", only the interaction "have with scones". I will try to jump in my game tomorrow and see if I'm remembering this correctly.

New at Simszoo
Instructor
Original Poster
#13 Old 8th Dec 2015 at 11:02 AM
@attuned I think I had a similar problem at some point, before I even started working on this mod. I searched online for other people with the same issue but found nothing, so I assumed it was some quirk of my setup. Three questions:

1. Do you remember whether you've ever seen the toast option, before you started testing this mod?
2. Does the option appear if this mod is removed?
3. Are there other mods installed that can interfere with the canning station? (I assume this is unlikely, since you're a very careful tester.)

If the toast option is missing even when this mod is removed, there's probably a bug in the EA code. In that case, I might have an idea what to investigate...

Thanks for looking into this!
Top Secret Researcher
#14 Old 8th Dec 2015 at 11:41 PM
Okay, started a new game. No mods, no cc, canning station is only store item. You are right, eat with scones is the only interaction available for jam. Eat with toast appears to have disappeared. I remember seeing it when I first bought the canning station, but I haven't noticed it for a while. I do not believe I saw it while I was testing your mod, even before I added the mod to my game.
I didn't have your mod installed so I didn't test further. Yes, it appears that once again EA broke something.

New at Simszoo
Instructor
Original Poster
#15 Old 9th Dec 2015 at 12:41 AM
@attuned

Thanks for your reply--it confirms that the disappearance of the toast option is not caused by this mod, but likely by a bug in the EA code.

Your description of the toast option appearing and disappearing reassures me that I'm not crazy and imagining things :D

Two questions:

1. Do you have the Baker's Station (or the Deliciously Indulgent Bakery venue set, which includes the Station) installed right now?
2. If not, have you ever had the Bakery or Baker's Station installed in the past, particularly when the toast option was available?
Top Secret Researcher
#16 Old 9th Dec 2015 at 2:42 AM
Yes, that's it. My game usually has both the Old Mill set and the Deliciously Indulgent Bakery venue installed. I just installed the Deliciously Indulgent Bakery venue into my vanilla game, and the option "eat with toast" now appears. I guess the toast option is tied, for no good reason, to the Bakery. Why EA, why?

New at Simszoo
Instructor
Original Poster
#17 Old 9th Dec 2015 at 5:06 AM
Yup. The Canning Station code performs a check to see if a particular package is present in the game's user directory (my guess is that it looks at DCCache, but I don't know how to inspect the dbc files in there.) The hash of the numbers it's checking matches the name on one of the packages in the Baker's Station sims3pack. The toast likely depends on resources (textures, model, etc) from the Baker's Station.

I consider this a bug, as opposed to a legitimate way for EA to upsell players on the Baker's Station, since the Store description for the Canning Station prominently advertises scone and toast, with no mention that the Baker content is required to make toasts available. From the marketing material and the "manual" tab on the Store website, most players would reasonably conclude that they are paying for two new meals (amongst other things) when they buy the Canning Station, instead of just one. The description on the Baker's Station does not mention adding functionality to the Canning Station either. (Notice that EA do point out that the Baker's Station needs harvestables from the Bohemian set for many of its new recipes, so there's a precedent for documenting such dependencies, not to mention that it's just the decent thing to do...)
Instructor
Original Poster
#18 Old 9th Dec 2015 at 7:21 AM Last edited by Butterbot : 22nd Feb 2016 at 7:03 AM. Reason: Obsolete attachment removed
@attuned

Attached is an updated version of the mod with the aforementioned checking code disabled. I was worried that disabling the check would create problems if the player doesn't have Baker's Station installed because I thought that's where the toast resources came from. I have since taken a further look at the Canning Station files themselves; the toast object seems to actually be included there, as far as I can tell. If the toast is indeed shipped in its entirety with the canning set and there are no other dependencies between the canning stuff and the baker stuff, then the package check being left in the code is a straight-up bug.

If you don't mind some more testing , run the game with only the Canning Station and the mod. Do not install the Bakery. The mod should make the toast option available. Please check that a sim can spread the jam on toast and eat it, since doing so successfully would rule out missing toast resources due to the Baker's Station not being installed.

Sorry for all this extra trouble!
Top Secret Researcher
#19 Old 10th Dec 2015 at 3:53 AM
@Butterbot
I downloaded your latest mod. I started a new game, vanilla, no cc except Old Mill set, no mods except yours. Sim made jam and had option to eat with scones or eat with toast. The actions were exactly the same: sim pulls out plate with toast or scone, uses knife, jam appears, sims carries plate to table and eats toast or scone.

Just for fun I went to edit town. I moved the sim out to clipboard and then to an empty lot. I switched to the new household, and sim was able to use jars in her inventory, both eat with scones and eat with toast were available.

New at Simszoo
Instructor
Original Poster
#20 Old 10th Dec 2015 at 6:23 AM
That's perfect! Thanks for this great news.
Instructor
Original Poster
#21 Old 24th Dec 2015 at 12:24 AM
@attuned

I haven't forgotten about this--still working on additional functionality for the canning station. It's taking a little longer than expected (just burned a week on a bit that ultimately didn't work out). Hopefully, there will be something presentable after the holidays. I would love to have you as a tester again when the times comes

Happy holidays!
Top Secret Researcher
#22 Old 24th Dec 2015 at 4:32 AM
Happy Holidays to you!

New at Simszoo
Locked thread