Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Jul 2009 at 5:14 AM Last edited by Angstrom : 27th Mar 2012 at 10:36 PM.
Default July 13, 2013: Hands-on preview of The Sims 4
Links to previews/reviews in this thread:
Review of The Sims 3: Destination Adventure
Review of The Sims 3: Star of Life
Review of The Sims 3: Climate
Review of The Sims 3: A-Plus
Review of The Sims 3: Powerhouse
Review of The Sims 3: Do-It-Yourself
Review of The Sims 3: Epic
Review of The Sims 3: Work/Play
Review of The Sims 3: Walmart Stuff
Review of The Sims 3: Holiday Stuff
Review of The Sims In Space
Review of The Sims: Discovery

Preview 1 of The Sims 4
Preview 2 of The Sims 4
Review of The Sims 4
Review of The Sims 4 Free
Review of The Sims 4 Life and Sims 4 The World
Review of The Sims 4: Crime and Punishment
Review of The Sims 4: Old Friends Stuff
Review of The Sims 4: Metropolis
Review of The Sims 4: Globetrotter
Review of The Sims 4: Animal Kingdom *new*

I happened to read an article from the future, which might be interesting:

Quote:
The Sims Canon Reboots This Christmas
Published on July 13, 2013

The legendary Maxis is back on the gaming scene, and they have invited us for a hands-on preview of their new flagship project - The Sims 4.

You might remember the anti-trust bill past by the US Congress in 2010, which forced the video-game behemoth Electronic Arts to dispose of several studios. Getting an investor to buy the Maxis division was not difficult, though Will Wright remained at EA, to finish his Leader of the Free World project. The legal rights to make expansion packs for The Sims 3 were disputed, and only three expansion packs (Adventure, Downtown and Sim's Best Friend) have reached the market so far. However, thanks to a strong modding community, the game still evolved further than any previous Sims game. There is more hope for plenty of The Sims 4 expansions - Maxis already displays concept drawings of ice hockey games, horses and other promising features never seen before in the Sims universe.

The startup menu is dominated by the Neighborhood Manager. In an aerial view where each neighborhood is a square tile, the player can connect, disconnect and re-arrange them, as well as creating new ones. It is sad that the SimCity franchise is dead; a cross-over feature would be excellent. The game ships with two neighborhoods - Perch Creek is an agricultural Tudor-style town where crowing roosters and squeaking windmills add to the atmosphere, while Armistice is a 1950's style pre-fabricated suburb where you can almost smell the mowed lawns and chlorinated swimming-pools. We expected these to be inhabited by white Sims with English-sounding names - but aware of the global market, Maxis has become more serious about ethnic diversity. Ahmed Al-Mousa, a single father of two, lives next door to Keizo Kanji and his African-Simlish wife, Mkyabela. There are no pre-made same-sex couples, but they happen to show up with story progression.

"SimNation is not a copy of America, Britain or any other country. But it is here on Earth - something like an eighth continent", our guide says. "All people have roots in real Earth cultures - the language is the only thing unique to SimNation."

The Goths and the Landgraabs are not to be found anywhere. Our guide explains: "These families' stories have come to an end, for many reasons. After thirteen years, time has come to make a total reboot, more radical than Christopher Nolan did to Batman." They did not say what we all suspect - the film killed the canon storyline. Yes, you might have suppressed all memories of this awful live-action movie scheduled for theatre opening in summer 2011. Natalie Portman dropped out from her role as Bella Goth in mid-production, being disappointed with the screenplay. As Edward Norton - who made a cameo appearance as the burglar - refused to take part in promotion of the film, there were no stars left to market the movie. It was released direct-to-DVD, and reviewed as "poor, even for a video-game adaptation - watch Street Fighter instead".

Talking about failure, teens can drop out from high school, but they will miss many skills necessary to get a full-time job. They always have the chance to finish studies, but then they might find themselves well into adulthood before graduation. For the successful, most careers are down-to-earth, with tracks such as Finance, Architecture and Education. More adventurous professions from previous Sims games - such as sports, music and crime - will be back with a vengeance in the expansion packs, says our guide.

The lunch break is a new useful opportunity to get things done in town during the workday. The player can look into retail stores and restaurants, just as in The Sims 2 and The Sims 3: Downtown. Grills and chessboards used to be ubiquitous in community lots, but the new generation of Sims tends to bring them from home - if not a deck of cards, an RC car or a beach ball.

Each Sim now has their own money balance, even when living together. This created some drama, as a boy spent his allowance on a boombox, and had to mooch more money from his frugal mother. As each lot has one or several owners - not necessarily an inhabitant, gold-digging has become more difficult. Getting a bank loan is much easier. (Getting out of it is another story.)

Most Sims players have felt the need to improve homes as families grow. You can choose between Instant Build, or Plan. Planning cost much less, but your Sims either need to wait for construction workers doing the noisy work, or doing it themselves, with possible misfortunes such as stepping into a bucket of paint. Split levels are here at last, making staircases much easier to fit into the house.

As we have played for a while, we have forgotten the shortcomings of The Sims 3 base game, such as the strange growing of onions and lettuces, the shortage of male haircuts, the old-fashioned walking animations, the 30-minute showers and the cartoonish color palette. The Sims 4 fixes these, and more, without notice. We did not notice the gradual growing of children at all, until we tried The Sims 3 again.

However, none of these novelties will be the "Giant Leap" - as aging and 3D graphics were for The Sims 2, or neighborhood exploration was for The Sims 3. How does The Sims 4 excuse the requirement of 8 GiB RAM and an 8 GHz processor?

According to Maxis, the big story in this game will be the multiplayer feature, which we, for natural reasons, could not see so much of. It will have a subscription cost on top of the base game, and it will not open officially until next year. They have promised us that it will be everything that the nearly forgotten The Sims Online was not.

But even without multiplayer, the Sims franchise will become stronger than ever as The Sims 4 is released this Christmas.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 13th Jul 2009 at 5:19 AM
Hmmm It'll feel really weird to play The Sims without seeing someone from the Goth family xD
I loved that article, it's excellent! =)
Forum Resident
#3 Old 13th Jul 2009 at 5:20 AM
Sounds awesome. Although I think it's a little soon to be talking about sims 4, considering we haven't even seen the expansions packs for 3 yet. Even so, it looks promising. Yay for Maxis coming back on board.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 13th Jul 2009 at 5:38 AM
Knowing this is fake, it sounds good, but, the online part. I would see this as detrimental to the modding community. The way that online games work would not be friendly for custom-creation objects, and I would assume mods that change behaviors would be the same. Cheating would also be affected, in that you could cheat to do something that could be unfair to another player.

Again, I know this is fake.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 13th Jul 2009 at 6:21 AM
Quote:

Scholar
#6 Old 13th Jul 2009 at 6:40 AM
Well online Sims doesn't need to be so hard with custom content, remember second life =)
Mad Poster
#7 Old 13th Jul 2009 at 11:23 AM
Yeah, if anything in that article is true, I hope the online capability will be just one of the featuers, not the main feature and only way to play the game.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#8 Old 13th Jul 2009 at 11:52 AM
I hate this thread, it's already making me dissatisfied with Sims 3! :D

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Scholar
#9 Old 13th Jul 2009 at 12:43 PM
Quote:

Well, the publishing date proves it's a hoax, as it isn't valid. We all know the world ends on December 21, 2012.

Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 13th Jul 2009 at 1:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by squall117
Well online Sims doesn't need to be so hard with custom content, remember second life =)

Yes, but Second Life and The Sims works in very different ways.

On Second Life you have a game that downloads files from the web and loads 'em. The mods are mainly done whit an in-game editor, and let's say it: graphics are ---- too.

On The Sims, the game (And the mods) are created exteriorly from the game, and installed on your HDD and doesn't load from internet. Downloading them from a server would mean a two hours loading when entering in a CC's rich lot as in The Sims 2; would you imagine loading an entire seamless 'hood such like that? I'm already afraid of possible load times when there will be plenty of asterisks on our catalogues.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 13th Jul 2009 at 3:07 PM
Default A wonderful dream
A fantastic and wonderful dream, dear Angstrom!

Why is that? I can't believe one word of your excellent article that you've composed yourself (so I guess), or- where was it published? Will you be so kind and send us the link?

I wish all our hopes concerning Sims 4, will come true - there are so many players like me who are totaly disappointed with Sims 3.

Sims 4 , released so soon? I can't believe that EA listened to anyone- they are only interested in making big money. They could have produced after years of experience and the interaction with talented modders, a marvellous game but we've seen what they came up with.

Thanks anyway for your great idea.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 13th Jul 2009 at 3:24 PM
....people truly confuse me- not the hoax article, but the reply to the hoax article, I'm more interested in who made it- the first paragraph makes me lol. Oh god we found a time warp.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 13th Jul 2009 at 3:29 PM
there are some extremely gullable people on here
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 13th Jul 2009 at 3:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kattenijin
Well, the publishing date proves it's a hoax, as it isn't valid. We all know the world ends on December 21, 2012.

You make me laugh so hard.I don't even believe the world is gonna end on December 21,2012.OMG,the sims 3 expansions packs are adventure first,woohoo vacation,then downtown,wooohooooo,can't wait for those.
Instructor
#15 Old 13th Jul 2009 at 5:11 PM
Looks like someone is smoking dope again.

God, please protect me from your idiot followers for they have blinded themselves with bleach.

Money doesn't buy you happiness but it buys you beer and coffee.

Life is like Go. Its takes smart and amoral people to make decisions based on their strategies of living.
Instructor
#16 Old 13th Jul 2009 at 8:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Xunixeon
Looks like someone is smoking dope again.

LMAO...haha seems that way to me too
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 13th Jul 2009 at 8:53 PM Last edited by Mausi : 13th Jul 2009 at 8:55 PM. Reason: forgetting a question mark
Quote: Originally posted by madmardy
there are some extremely gullable people on here

Some people do not understand cynical remarks. Did you mean gullible?
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 13th Jul 2009 at 9:09 PM

LMFAO. WIN.

Even when we're apart I can feel you next to me. There's a hidden love connecting us like voices on a string.
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 13th Jul 2009 at 9:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Antagonist.01
Yes, but Second Life and The Sims works in very different ways.

On Second Life you have a game that downloads files from the web and loads 'em. The mods are mainly done whit an in-game editor, and let's say it: graphics are ---- too.

On The Sims, the game (And the mods) are created exteriorly from the game, and installed on your HDD and doesn't load from internet. Downloading them from a server would mean a two hours loading when entering in a CC's rich lot as in The Sims 2; would you imagine loading an entire seamless 'hood such like that? I'm already afraid of possible load times when there will be plenty of asterisks on our catalogues.

Wow, people are already arguing points of a very well written article on a fake game and how they could or could not do things. Who knows what the computing world will be like in 2013 even though it isn't that far away. It would be great if all these things were possible because it sounds like an awesome game. Let's not debate if this is actually possible or not. Let's just say "what if?"
Test Subject
#20 Old 13th Jul 2009 at 9:43 PM
Arrghh, now I actually kind of want TS4 to be made. And it's not too early to be talking about it, because if EA has indeed got plans on making it, they developement will start sometime next year. (Didn't they start on TS3 in 2005?) It will be a long time coming before we even hear about it, and if we are going to be making demands, we better do so before the game is 90% finished. :D
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 13th Jul 2009 at 11:26 PM
Why is this still open, lol?
Top Secret Researcher
#22 Old 13th Jul 2009 at 11:32 PM

The world as we know it. Doesn't mean the human population becomes extinct or the Earth goes kaboom!, just a change.

Anyway, obviously a hoax and way too earlier to discuss TS4. Heck, with today's economy, TS3 may be the last of the Sims franchise.
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 13th Jul 2009 at 11:56 PM
You know, I honestly read somewhere that EA said that the Sims 3 would be the final Sims installment, meaning there would be no Sims 4.
Theorist
#24 Old 13th Jul 2009 at 11:56 PM
That would be lovely. A Sims game based off the 1950s. I would LOVE that.

~~~The Official Nintendork Island~~~
"I cannot love you like this anymore..... Alejandro"
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 14th Jul 2009 at 12:22 AM
LOL A the sims film...
Locked thread | Locked by: mangaroo Reason: rest in peace, little zombie thread of predictions
Page 1 of 10