Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Sep 2010 at 9:35 PM
Default What new traits would you like to see?
I'd like to see a vain/shallow trait, but I am sure I heard it mentioned that it was coming in LN. Could be wrong, though!

A feisty trait would be cool; a sim that doesn't like to be told what to do by other sims and will stand up to them. Could make careers a bit difficult though lol.

What ones would you like to see?
Advertisement
Retired
retired moderator
#2 Old 11th Sep 2010 at 9:49 PM
Nocturnal - +15 mood at night, -15 mood during the day. Autonomously drinks lots of coffee if a machine is available, additional boost. Werewolves and Vampires with this trait have a few advantages.

Two Left Feet - Can't dance at all. Never learns any "good" dances, has several unique "bad" dances. Penalty in Athletic skill gain. Requires a very high relationship to ask to dance.

Allergic - Gets a rash when eating seafood or coming into contact with animals. Sneezes often. Hates outdoors during the Spring.

Imagining new traits is fun.

CAW Wiki - A wiki for CAW users. Feel free to edit.

GON OUT, BACKSON, BISY BACKSON
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 11th Sep 2010 at 9:57 PM
Obsessive trait. When Sims get anything new, for example, they want to use/view/talk about/paint/sing about/etc the object over and over again.

That's all I got for now.
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 11th Sep 2010 at 10:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maz89
Obsessive trait. When Sims get anything new, for example, they want to use/view/talk about/paint/sing about/etc the object over and over again.

That's all I got for now.

Haha that would have been great to have. Like the grilled cheese sandwich obsessed lady whatshername in TS2

TS3 aliens? Finally! Now give us OFB and proper apartments, damnit! - EA, you are breaking my heart. - I give up.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 11th Sep 2010 at 11:22 PM
Desperate for attention-these sims crave attention and will do anything to obtain it.

Pessimistic/Optimistic
-self explanatory.

Summer/Winter/Autumn/Spring lover
-when a 'Seasons' exp. pack comes out

Animal lover/vegan
-when a 'Pets' exp. pack comes out.

Follow my wicked homemaker's adventures at:
http://scarlettown.wordpress.com/
Field Researcher
#6 Old 11th Sep 2010 at 11:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kiwi_tea
Two Left Feet - Can't dance at all. Never learns any "good" dances, has several unique "bad" dances. Penalty in Athletic skill gain. Requires a very high relationship to ask to dance.

This would be perfect for my self sim
Many great ideas, here! I would have loved to have a "shy" trait, but I heard it's coming with Late Night, so... yay!
An opposite trait to "virtuoso" would be fun, too: sims that are completely unable to sing, play an instrument decently and whose serenades end up being a torture for the ears, lol. Don't know how it could be called, though
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 11th Sep 2010 at 11:35 PM
I'd actually wish to see more traits that affect overall gameplay rather than just a specific skill.

TS3 aliens? Finally! Now give us OFB and proper apartments, damnit! - EA, you are breaking my heart. - I give up.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 11th Sep 2010 at 11:39 PM Last edited by Princess Leia : 12th Sep 2010 at 12:04 AM.
Paranoid -- has the ability to talk about conspiracies like Insane and Neurotic Sims, often rejects simple 'Ask' interactions like 'Ask About Career' or 'Ask About Day', has wishes to stock fridge with extra food, positive moodlet when they're in the basement 'cause they feel safe from meteor strikes/air raids/the rapture.

Superstitious -- can 'Talk About Superstitions' and 'Tell Ghost Stories', likes furniture to be arranged a certain way, has special idle animations (e.g. they can randomly knock on wood, sprinkle salt over their shoulders before eating), positive moodlets for carrying lucky trinkets in their inventories.

Prude -- can 'Express Disgust' if other Sims in the room are being flirty, gets the Embarrassed moodlet just from walking in on Sims kissing/making out, has the ability to burn trashy/romance novels, randomly rejects WooHoo from romantic interests even if they're in a good mood.

If there's a Natural Cook trait, I think there should be a Horrible Cook trait! They'll burn food more often but they also have the ability to 'Experiment' and use ingredients that aren't normally edible like rubber duckies, bubble solution or trash. JUST FOR LULZ. The resulting concoction will usually make other Sims vomit (unless they're Slobs or Horrible Cooks) but once in a while they'll whip up something delicious.

Strange -- will get wishes to look through their neighbours' windows, sculpt/take pictures of other Sims and watch them sleep. But they also get a painting/writing/sculpting bonus!

Err, I don't know really. I'm only half-serious about these. I think the "negative" traits are way more amusing.

To be honest, I wish they'd expand on current traits (especially the useless ones like Hydrophobic or Never Nude!) instead of adding 234929 new ones. Some ideas:
  • Give Dramatic Sims the ability to 'Act Out Dramatic Scene', which will cause them to yell at another Sim and slap them soap opera style (they won't get mad but they will be creeped out).
  • Hydrophobic Sims can add chemicals to pools that'll make the water turn brown, donate to 'Sims Against Showers, go to City Hall and 'Protest to Ban All Pools'.
  • Never Nude Sims can 'Protest to Ban Public Showers' and have nightmares about nudity (negative moodlet when they wake up). I don't wanna make life too difficult for them so maybe they can get a +10 mood boost for being clothed in the first place.
  • Great Kissers can 'Set Up Kissing Booth' to make a bit of pocket money. They can also 'Share Kissing Tips' for a small fee and the other Sim will become a great kisser for a couple of hours.
  • They can also give Sims the ability to serenade their romantic interests and make it a hidden skill; at first they'll sound like a dying bag of cats but eventually they'll get better. Virtuosos, Hopeless Romantics, Flirty and Charismatic Sims are more likely to woo others with their singing.
Theorist
#9 Old 11th Sep 2010 at 11:44 PM
Never uses phone
Never uses vehicles

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Mad Poster
#10 Old 11th Sep 2010 at 11:51 PM
Violent - Prone to getting into fight with other Sims. Can fight with a Sim instantaneously, and has a desire to cause destruction when ever possible.

Passive - Your Sims will try their hardest not to let other Sims anger them and will avoid a fight when ever possible.

Annoying - No mater what a Sim tries to do, other will, sadly, be bothered by it.

Maternal/Paternal - You Sim will never have their a child cry while they are with them and usually make the child happy within their presence.

Brat - The Sim that is never satisfied and finds a flaw in everything.

Well Behaved - Opposite of Brat. The child never gives anyone problems, and adult enjoy watching over or baby sitting the child.

(cant think of appropriate name) - Sim Enjoys Woo-Hoo, and Everyone who Woo-Hoos with the Sim enjoys it, as well.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Top Secret Researcher
#11 Old 11th Sep 2010 at 11:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Princess Leia
Paranoid -- has the ability to talk about conspiracies like Insane and Neurotic Sims, often rejects simple 'Ask' interactions like 'Ask About Career' or 'Ask About Day', has wishes to stock fridge with extra food, positive moodlet when they're in the basement 'cause they feel safe from meteor strikes/air raids/the rapture.

Superstitious -- can 'Talk About Superstitions' and 'Tell Ghost Stories', likes furniture to be arranged a certain way, has special idle animations (e.g. they can randomly knock on wood, sprinkle salt over their shoulders before eating), positive moodlets for carrying lucky trinkets in their inventories.

YES! Bring it!

That would be so awesome. Especially the Paranoid one

Also agree on the useless ones. Like heavy/light sleeper. Give light sleepers nightmares that give a negative moodlet for example.

Mad Poster
#12 Old 12th Sep 2010 at 12:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Kaospilot
YES! Bring it!

That would be so awesome. Especially the Paranoid one

They would only work with an EP with something supernatural in it, like Aliens or Magic, or anything based on the supernatural, so it can do more with the game. Like telling a Sim you saw an Alien after you see one, and if the other Sim had not seen one, they wouldn't believe it and friend score goes down, but if they did, the friend score goes up.

and nightmare would be fun. Sims wakes up in the middle of the night crying.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#13 Old 12th Sep 2010 at 12:26 AM
I adore the idea of nocturnal; that would so apply to my self sim. That and obsessive haha
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 12th Sep 2010 at 12:45 AM
To be honest, I wish they'd expand on current traits (especially the useless ones like Hydrophobic or Never Nude!) instead of adding 234929 new ones. Some ideas:
  • Give Dramatic Sims the ability to 'Act Out Dramatic Scene', which will cause them to yell at another Sim and slap them soap opera style (they won't get mad but they will be creeped out).
  • Hydrophobic Sims can add chemicals to pools that'll make the water turn brown, donate to 'Sims Against Showers, go to City Hall and 'Protest to Ban All Pools'.
  • Never Nude Sims can 'Protest to Ban Public Showers' and have nightmares about nudity (negative moodlet when they wake up). I don't wanna make life too difficult for them so maybe they can get a +10 mood boost for being clothed in the first place.
  • Great Kissers can 'Set Up Kissing Booth' to make a bit of pocket money. They can also 'Share Kissing Tips' for a small fee and the other Sim will become a great kisser for a couple of hours.
  • They can also give Sims the ability to serenade their romantic interests and make it a hidden skill; at first they'll sound like a dying bag of cats but eventually they'll get better. Virtuosos, Hopeless Romantics, Flirty and Charismatic Sims are more likely to woo others with their singing.

I completely second this. They need to expand on their current traits, do more with them. For example, the Insane trait needs to be more than just about the Sim wearing the wrong clothes for the occasion or babbling nonsense; that's just too little and not nearly entertaining enough. Maybe there should be a mental asylum and we have to monitor their 'insane' actions to prevent them from being forced to go there? Insane actions could include stealing babies from homes and putting them in the central park, trying to Wohoo with the wife's relatives and/or best friends, eating food found from the garbage can in the presence of the horrified home owner, asking two strangers to make out, farting loudly in public for the lulz, etc. They could make it so much more entertaining than what they've given us.
Banned
#15 Old 12th Sep 2010 at 2:55 AM
Wanton/Slutty -- does not need any minimum relationship to woohoo. Will woohoo anytime and anyplace and pick up positive moodlets for doing it -- sort of like Great Kisser but with Woohoo. Has wishes like woohoo with 10 sims, woohoo with 25 sims, woohoo with 50 sims.
Top Secret Researcher
#16 Old 12th Sep 2010 at 2:58 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't there a LTW in TS2 to woohoo with 20 or so sims?

Banned
#17 Old 12th Sep 2010 at 4:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Kaospilot
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't there a LTW in TS2 to woohoo with 20 or so sims?

Yes. I had a lot of fun with that one.

----

As far as some of the traits, they really are a license to roleplay. In my current game, I have an insane sim. I gave her a LTW of being a jack of all trades, so as soon as she starts getting anywhere in a job, she quits and starts over again. I also have her doing things, like jogging around the neighborhood in the nude, playing for tips in a park in the middle of the night, and the like.

Perhaps an expansion of this trait would include hearing voices which tell the insane sim to do strange things. This would entail wishes to engage in all sorts of strange behavior.

My big complaint about the Sims is that so much is half done. The game is good, as far as it goes. But EA never quite provides enough.

For example, with fast lane, why not include a racecar driver profession, and a racetrack for racing all of these neat new cars? Instead, they just provide a few new cars rather than making something really good and interesting.

The same is true for traits. The basic idea is good, and it is well implemented for what they do. But EA could have done so much more.
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#18 Old 12th Sep 2010 at 4:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tjstreak
include hearing voices which tell the insane sim to do strange things.

Many of the suggested traits are addable, but I'd need to get art and text resources made for them. Plus they'd only be available to users of AWESOMEMOD.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Theorist
#19 Old 12th Sep 2010 at 4:47 AM
Wanton/Slutty -- does not need any minimum relationship to woohoo. Will woohoo anytime and anyplace and pick up positive moodlets for doing it -- sort of like Great Kisser but with Woohoo. Has wishes like woohoo with 10 sims, woohoo with 25 sims, woohoo with 50 sims.

Interesting suggestion. I would add a penalty to it, that the sim gets -75 mood if they hadn't woohoo'd in 12 hours. Also, other sims can tell they are wanton so they are wary of them and get an 'in presence of slut' moodlet that varies depending on their stats and if they have the flirty / unflirty trait.

Unfortunately, there is no way for the game to understand if a sim is good looking, ugly, or plain. Traits for these could be useful and it might be fun to create an intentionally hideous sim and give them the good looking trait, and vice versa.
Top Secret Researcher
#20 Old 12th Sep 2010 at 4:52 AM
Not sure if anyone said this, but I'd like to see a Stubborn trait... it's not in the game already, is it? I forget

ENTJ
Field Researcher
#21 Old 12th Sep 2010 at 5:12 AM Last edited by Princess Leia : 12th Sep 2010 at 1:54 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Shoosh Malooka
Interesting suggestion. I would add a penalty to it, that the sim gets -75 mood if they hadn't woohoo'd in 12 hours. Also, other sims can tell they are wanton so they are wary of them and get an 'in presence of slut' moodlet that varies depending on their stats and if they have the flirty / unflirty trait.

Unfortunately, there is no way for the game to understand if a sim is good looking, ugly, or plain. Traits for these could be useful and it might be fun to create an intentionally hideous sim and give them the good looking trait, and vice versa.

I'd love to see Pretty/Ugly traits (or maybe something less conspicuous like 'Ogre' instead of Ugly). It'd be especially fun to play a Sim with the Ugly trait; cowardly Sims might faint if they pass by, Evil Sims will laugh, other Sims will slowly back away... I don't think it'll be offensive because it's a trait -- like you said, I can make the fugliest thing known to mankind and give it the 'Pretty' trait. If they wanna be politically-correct they can even make it so that the only thing that makes a Sim "ugly" is a green aura that surrounds them, kinda like how Sims at the top of the criminal career glow red.

According to the Wiki, there was supposed to be a Wanton trait but it was scrapped due to game ratings. The devs are really censoring themselves too much. In what messed up, backwards universe does 'Make Out' equal three puritanical pecks on the lips?

I love the fact that most of the suggestions are social traits because to me, the social interactions are what makes the game. I don't really give a flying donkey's ass if my Sim learns the Photography skill twice as fast.
Field Researcher
#22 Old 12th Sep 2010 at 5:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by maz89
I completely second this. They need to expand on their current traits, do more with them. For example, the Insane trait needs to be more than just about the Sim wearing the wrong clothes for the occasion or babbling nonsense; that's just too little and not nearly entertaining enough. Maybe there should be a mental asylum and we have to monitor their 'insane' actions to prevent them from being forced to go there? Insane actions could include stealing babies from homes and putting them in the central park, trying to Wohoo with the wife's relatives and/or best friends, eating food found from the garbage can in the presence of the horrified home owner, asking two strangers to make out, farting loudly in public for the lulz, etc. They could make it so much more entertaining than what they've given us.

I love this idea. I think they should expand on the insane especially. insane people don't just talk nonsense. they do plenty of things that are out there..hardly seems realistic if nonsense talking is the only thing they do.
the thing I hate about insane people though is everybody gets creeped out by them when they talk nonsense. I think there should be certain people that like that/are attracted to it. speaking of attracted, you know what I just realized? they don't have turn ons/turn offs like they do in 2. they need to bring that back.

I also think that there should be crazy people. people that don't belong in the asylum but are people more like me. you know they're detached from the world. they're not as extreme as insane.
would that be too difficult to put in a simulation? the difference between crazy and insane?

other traits I think they should add. off the top of my head, sarcastic, insecure, confident, narcissistic and nerdy/dorky.
now I know that sarcasm would be a bit difficult since they don't speak English but maybe they could have a different tone of voice when they're being sarcastic and also sarcastic facial expressions.
maybe the nerdy/dorky ones could dance in a more dorky way than the others. they could like wearing nerdy stuff. maybe they could snort when they laugh..just a few examples.
see one reason I think nerdy/dorky should be added because I can be pretty nerdy/dorky so my person would be more accurate if they added it.
insecure, confident and narcissistic REALLY need to be added because this would definitely add to the realism. I am surprised narcissistic isn't in there? or did I miss it?
Field Researcher
#23 Old 12th Sep 2010 at 5:33 AM Last edited by Princess Leia : 12th Sep 2010 at 5:46 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Drakesecaravdis
The thing I hate about insane people though is everybody gets creeped out by them when they talk nonsense. I think there should be certain people that like that/are attracted to it.

Well, other Insane Sims like it but the animation is the same so they still look disgusted (FAIL). The 'Speak Madness' interaction also gets accepted if your relationship with the other Sim is high enough.

While I love the Insane trait and use it often, I'd rather see some of the other traits get additional interactions before they expand on Insane. As it stands it's already one of the most prominent ones. Traits like Great Kisser, Hydrophobic, Never Nude, Born Salesman, Heavy Sleeper and Frugal are so useless.

Some of the things you guys mentioned can be integrated into existing traits. Being narcissistic can go along with being a snob, being spacey/dreamy can go along with being absent-minded, losers can be insecure, etc.
Field Researcher
#24 Old 12th Sep 2010 at 5:36 AM
Well, other Insane Sims like it but the animation is the same so they still look disgusted (FAIL). The 'Speak Madness' interaction also gets accepted if your relationship with the other Sim is high enough.

that's true. I didn't think about that but still yeah they should fix the animation.
Mad Poster
#25 Old 12th Sep 2010 at 6:43 AM

YES. This is exactly what I was going to suggest.

The aforementioned nocturnal trait would be awesome to have, too <3
Page 1 of 8