Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Mar 2012 at 5:08 PM
Default .Package file wont display right
Im sorry if this is not in the rights spot, i am a complete newbie. I bought the sims 3 last night and am trying to download content and it just wont work. I have the new patch installed and i downloaded and extracted the files into the right location, but i think the problem lies in the .package folder. In the picture of the tutorial of how to download .package files the files in the Packages folder have a different icon then the one in my computer. The ones i have are just a blank document, and the ones in the picture are of the sims logo. HELP PLEASE!
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 17th Mar 2012 at 5:12 PM
Are you sure you have a package file and not a Sims3Pack? Sims3Packs display the Sims 3 logo and you would have to double click it to install it where a package needs no installation other than placing it in the proper folder.
Banned
#3 Old 17th Mar 2012 at 5:14 PM
You don't own any programs that recognize the .package file format. They will appear as blank files unless you have S3PE or something. It doesn't change anything with how they work at all.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 17th Mar 2012 at 5:14 PM
i downloaded the file that was located on this website titled : Game Help:Installing Sims 3 Package Files/Setup and Files
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 17th Mar 2012 at 5:16 PM
And what exactly is S3PE?
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#6 Old 17th Mar 2012 at 5:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by riverars
And what exactly is S3PE?

I don't think you want to know, right now. It's a modding tool :D
But anyway, you don't have to worry about what icon your .package files have in your file browser.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 17th Mar 2012 at 5:30 PM
Ohh, OK! But it still doesnt work. The instructions say i will know the file is working if i click either of the files in the Packages folder and they work properly, but they dont. When i click them they say windows doesnt know which files to open the program with. Common sense tells me The Sims but when i click the sims icon as an option, it still doesnt work.
Banned
#8 Old 17th Mar 2012 at 5:36 PM
Nowhere on the guide you said you're following ever says to click on the files...
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#9 Old 17th Mar 2012 at 5:44 PM
riverars I think you are definitely mixing up the instructions for .sims3pack and .package. Or something...

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Eminence Grise
#10 Old 17th Mar 2012 at 7:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by riverars
Ohh, OK! But it still doesnt work. The instructions say i will know the file is working if i click either of the files in the Packages folder and they work properly, but they dont. When i click them they say windows doesnt know which files to open the program with. Common sense tells me The Sims but when i click the sims icon as an option, it still doesnt work.

Package files don't need to "open". They just sit there in the folder. When you play the Sims, the Sims game program opens them and reads the data from them. You just have to a) put them in the right place, and b) tell the game where to look for them That is what the instructions in the installation guide are about.

This is the guide you should be reading: http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...g_Package_Files

For future reference, technical questions about using CC and game bugs and issues should go in our Help Q+A forum... you'll find the link to that at the bottom of any of the Help FAQs, like the one I just linked
Locked thread | Locked by: Srikandi Reason: Referred to Help