Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

TS4 SimRipper Classic: rip sims from savegames. V3.14.2.0, updated 4/19/2023

by CmarNYC Posted 4th Dec 2019 at 6:36 PM - Updated 4th Mar 2024 at 4:43 PM by Lyralei : adding updated link.

1997 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 1885 Feedback Posts, 111 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 54 of 80
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#1326 Old 27th Dec 2021 at 5:41 PM
hello! first i just want to say thanks for this wonderful tool! this is my first time using it and have yet to run into any issues, though i did have a question, while this might be a sims4 thing but, seeing the save textures separately had me thinking that it would save each individual texture on its own, i'm guessing sims4 makes an atlas image of all the textures we're using for our sims? or is simsripper making the atlas? basically i was wondering if it was possible to export out all of the textures we're using separately vs an atlas image.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#1327 Old 27th Dec 2021 at 8:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by invalid
hello! first i just want to say thanks for this wonderful tool! this is my first time using it and have yet to run into any issues, though i did have a question, while this might be a sims4 thing but, seeing the save textures separately had me thinking that it would save each individual texture on its own, i'm guessing sims4 makes an atlas image of all the textures we're using for our sims? or is simsripper making the atlas? basically i was wondering if it was possible to export out all of the textures we're using separately vs an atlas image.

Most likely the game makes an atlas in some form since textures on one mesh can show up on another. As far as I know we don't know details of exactly how it's done.

SimRipper does blend all the textures into one with the exception of the 'solid and glass' option. I thought of exporting all textures separately but that's a lot of images - 3 or 4 for clothing and hair, who knows how many accessories, more for makeup and tattoos and skin details, plus several skin textures.

Sure, it would be possible, but why? If there's a purpose for it and I know whether some should be combined and others not, I'll consider it.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Test Subject
#1328 Old 27th Dec 2021 at 9:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CmarNYC
Most likely the game makes an atlas in some form since textures on one mesh can show up on another. As far as I know we don't know details of exactly how it's done.

SimRipper does blend all the textures into one with the exception of the 'solid and glass' option. I thought of exporting all textures separately but that's a lot of images - 3 or 4 for clothing and hair, who knows how many accessories, more for makeup and tattoos and skin details, plus several skin textures.

Sure, it would be possible, but why? If there's a purpose for it and I know whether some should be combined and others not, I'll consider it.

For me, editing, sure you can edit a atlas image with everything in one place, but since most of the images have transparencies/alpha's they get slapped over another part of the image, and basically sometimes textures from a shirt or pants could show up on shoes or earings or hair, or sometimes the makeup shows up darker on the face than in-game which if they were all separate textures you could just brighten up that one alone vs the atlas version , for me i can just add them to a layer or something in photoshop and just on/off textures and color correction and image editing if i need to.. plus this allows to upscale certain textures... sure i could do it the old fashioned way and get the one texture i might need to save separately and edit it, but if there was a button to get them all in one go, that would save a lot of time.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#1329 Old 27th Dec 2021 at 9:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by invalid
For me, editing, sure you can edit a atlas image with everything in one place, but since most of the images have transparencies/alpha's they get slapped over another part of the image, and basically sometimes textures from a shirt or pants could show up on shoes or earings or hair, or sometimes the makeup shows up darker on the face than in-game which if they were all separate textures you could just brighten up that one alone vs the atlas version , for me i can just add them to a layer or something in photoshop and just on/off textures and color correction and image editing if i need to.. plus this allows to upscale certain textures... sure i could do it the old fashioned way and get the one texture i might need to save separately and edit it, but if there was a button to get them all in one go, that would save a lot of time.

I understand what you're saying, although IMO it's as easy to select and tweak specific areas of one texture as to tweak and composite a dozen textures. I already keep skin and clothing separate and could probably separate out the makeup, skin details, and tattoos without creating a ridiculous number of textures. I'll see what I can do.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Test Subject
#1330 Old 29th Dec 2021 at 2:19 AM
I understand what you're saying, although IMO it's as easy to select and tweak specific areas of one texture as to tweak and composite a dozen textures. I already keep skin and clothing separate and could probably separate out the makeup, skin details, and tattoos without creating a ridiculous number of textures. I'll see what I can do.

appreciate it.
Test Subject
#1331 Old 3rd Jan 2022 at 10:22 PM
Bonjour, désolé de vous déranger mais j'ai un soucis depuis la dernière version de sim ripper, je m'étais rendu compte que j'avais besoin d'une nouvelle version car mes sims étaient tout d'un coup déformés dans sim ripper. Dans la nouvelle version ce message d'erreur s'affiche :
Screenshots
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#1332 Old 4th Jan 2022 at 2:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MarylouChlre
Bonjour, désolé de vous déranger mais j'ai un soucis depuis la dernière version de sim ripper, je m'étais rendu compte que j'avais besoin d'une nouvelle version car mes sims étaient tout d'un coup déformés dans sim ripper. Dans la nouvelle version ce message d'erreur s'affiche :

Sorry, but I need more information than that. Distorted how? Please upload the sim troubleshooting info if you can, and your save game if you can't.

Test Subject
#1333 Old 4th Jan 2022 at 3:43 PM
Sorry, but I need more information than that. Distorted how? Please upload the sim troubleshooting info if you can, and your save game if you can't.

Son visage est déformé ainsi que son corps (des + gros yeux, un corps + fin), la sims ne donne pas la même chose dans le jeu que dans sim ripper, sachant qu'avant la nouvelle version ça marchait très bien. Et que ça fais cela avec tous mes sims.
Les informations de dépannage sim sont vide, il n'y a rien dans le fichier je ne peux même pas vous l'envoyer. Comment vous envoyer la sauvegarde ? Ca ne marche pas dans les liens que je peux vous déposer.
Screenshots
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#1334 Old 4th Jan 2022 at 4:39 PM
Son visage est déformé ainsi que son corps (des + gros yeux, un corps + fin), la sims ne donne pas la même chose dans le jeu que dans sim ripper, sachant qu'avant la nouvelle version ça marchait très bien. Et que ça fais cela avec tous mes sims.
Les informations de dépannage sim sont vide, il n'y a rien dans le fichier je ne peux même pas vous l'envoyer. Comment vous envoyer la sauvegarde ? Ca ne marche pas dans les liens que je peux vous déposer.

The sim in your pictures looks fine, and I'd need a picture from the game to be able to compare.

You're using an old version of SimRipper in the pictures. Have you tried 3.10? Which versions work and which don't? Please only report problems with the latest version.

If you can display the sim you should be able to save the sim troubleshooting info. What happens when you click the button? Do you mean you get an empty zip file?

Can you get the information and error lists? You posted one error list before, and it tells me SimRipper can't find a lot of game packages, so maybe your game path isn't set correctly.

Just zip the save game file and upload it here.

Are you getting errors when you start SimRipper?

Test Subject
#1335 Old 4th Jan 2022 at 7:52 PM
The sim in your pictures looks fine, and I'd need a picture from the game to be able to compare.

You're using an old version of SimRipper in the pictures. Have you tried 3.10? Which versions work and which don't? Please only report problems with the latest version.

If you can display the sim you should be able to save the sim troubleshooting info. What happens when you click the button? Do you mean you get an empty zip file?

Can you get the information and error lists? You posted one error list before, and it tells me SimRipper can't find a lot of game packages, so maybe your game path isn't set correctly.

Just zip the save game file and upload it here.

Plus aucune des versions ne marchent avec moi.

En jeu elle est comme ça ce qui n'est pas du tout pareil dans sim ripper l'ancienne version.

Le problème que j'ai avec la dernière version c'était les premiers messages d'erreurs que j'ai envoyé, j'ai pourtant refais le chemin de mon jeu et des mods plusieurs fois sans que ça ne change rien.
Dans la dernière version, ma sims ne s'affiche pas et montre le message d'erreurs des tout premiers screens que j'ai envoyé, ça doit être pour cela que je n'ai pas d'informations de dépannage.
Voila ce que ça donne quand je glisse ma sauvegarde.
J'ai ce message quand j'ouvre sim ripper (la dernière version), après le screen de la sauvegarde qui ne veut pas s'envoyer. Après ce screen là, je vous fais part des détails du message d'erreur que j'ai.
Screenshots
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#1336 Old 4th Jan 2022 at 11:33 PM
Plus aucune des versions ne marchent avec moi.

En jeu elle est comme ça ce qui n'est pas du tout pareil dans sim ripper l'ancienne version.

Le problème que j'ai avec la dernière version c'était les premiers messages d'erreurs que j'ai envoyé, j'ai pourtant refais le chemin de mon jeu et des mods plusieurs fois sans que ça ne change rien.
Dans la dernière version, ma sims ne s'affiche pas et montre le message d'erreurs des tout premiers screens que j'ai envoyé, ça doit être pour cela que je n'ai pas d'informations de dépannage.
Voila ce que ça donne quand je glisse ma sauvegarde.
J'ai ce message quand j'ouvre sim ripper (la dernière version), après le screen de la sauvegarde qui ne veut pas s'envoyer. Après ce screen là, je vous fais part des détails du message d'erreur que j'ai.

Are you saying every version doesn't work for you anymore? Now the sim doesn't display at all in any version? Exactly what happens when you use the latest version? If every version suddenly doesn't work, something must have changed in your system. Is your game patched up to date?

You have to put the save file in a zip file, using 7-Zip or another compression tool.

Test Subject
#1337 Old 6th Jan 2022 at 4:57 PM
Default Problem
Hello, sorry to bother you but I have a problem with the current version of sim ripper. I get this error message:

Unfortunately I can't set the path manually because the tool won't open. On sunday everything worked without any problems. I can't explain why it doesn't work anymore.
Screenshots
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#1338 Old 6th Jan 2022 at 5:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsie.ann
Hello, sorry to bother you but I have a problem with the current version of sim ripper. I get this error message:

Unfortunately I can't set the path manually because the tool won't open. On sunday everything worked without any problems. I can't explain why it doesn't work anymore.

You have to click the Continue button and it'll take you to the settings where you can set the paths.

Test Subject
#1339 Old 9th Jan 2022 at 10:53 PM
hello, thank you for the wonderful tool!
Is there a way to extract aged texture?

I'm getting this when I create grandma:
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#1340 Old 10th Jan 2022 at 2:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Tosyk
hello, thank you for the wonderful tool!
Is there a way to extract aged texture?

I'm getting this when I create grandma:

I found what's causing this and will get it fixed for the next version.

Test Subject
#1341 Old 10th Jan 2022 at 2:22 PM
I found what's causing this and will get it fixed for the next version.

thank you for the response!
when that would be approximately?
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#1342 Old 10th Jan 2022 at 2:42 PM
thank you for the response!
when that would be approximately?

Every time I think it's ready some new problem pops up, lol. In the meantime, please try this test version and let me know if it works for you.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  TS4SimRipper_3_10_3_0.zip (2.45 MB, 54 downloads)

Lab Assistant
#1343 Old 10th Jan 2022 at 3:13 PM
Every time I think it's ready some new problem pops up, lol. In the meantime, please try this test version and let me know if it works for you.
For me works just fine
Test Subject
#1344 Old 10th Jan 2022 at 5:47 PM

thank you very much — working pretty cool for me as well. But I can't extract normal maps for it, it work for another sim from this save file tho.
also it wasn't worked with previous version
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#1345 Old 10th Jan 2022 at 8:36 PM
thank you very much — working pretty cool for me as well. But I can't extract normal maps for it, it work for another sim from this save file tho.
also it wasn't worked with previous version

The normals and emission maps were an experiment and if just compositing them doesn't work I don't know how to fix them. I don't remember anyone else mentioning them so I don't think they're very useful anyway. Maybe I'll just remove the option in the next version.

Test Subject
#1346 Old 11th Jan 2022 at 9:17 AM
The normals and emission maps were an experiment and if just compositing them doesn't work I don't know how to fix them. I don't remember anyone else mentioning them so I don't think they're very useful anyway. Maybe I'll just remove the option in the next version.

oh man, they are very usefull indeed. I would really don't want you to remove it because that need to be compose from archives or with studio.
They give a poper look of shape when correctly used. If you have ideas how to fix them I will gladly test it.
Maybe try to output the list of names used for normal maps at first? and find out why it's not working for some models
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#1347 Old 11th Jan 2022 at 12:15 PM Last edited by CmarNYC : 11th Jan 2022 at 3:36 PM.
oh man, they are very usefull indeed. I would really don't want you to remove it because that need to be compose from archives or with studio.
They give a poper look of shape when correctly used. If you have ideas how to fix them I will gladly test it.
Maybe try to output the list of names used for normal maps at first? and find out why it's not working for some models

How do you use them? They're EA format so what tools can use them? Now that I look at them again, my compositing doesn't even work right so I don't see how they're useful. And what do you mean by the list of names? If you can use them in Blender, please describe the steps so I can try to test.

How is it not working for some models - if there's no normal map to save or it's blank maybe the outfit just doesn't have any. If it's saving but incorrect in some way, please explain.

Edit: I'm working on making the composite normal maps correct at least.

Test Subject
#1348 Old 11th Jan 2022 at 3:37 PM
How do you use them? They're EA format so what tools can use them? Now that I look at them again, my compositing doesn't even work right so I don't see how they're useful.

normal map is supporting the shape of the model — it's widly used in all games. If I would want to add sims models to some game I would need normal map and without them model will look flat like a doll.
specualr maps are making very good touch to the model too: for hairs for example or for boot straps — white areas on spec map will make the model shine.

And what do you mean by the list of names?

I thought about debugging. So, if you can't extract textures semselves maybe you can start with exporting list of textures or some other composition data just to make sure everything work correct. After this check you can extract composited textures. It's just my idea, feel free to tell me that I don't know anything about it

If you can use them in Blender, please describe the steps so I can try to test.

sure. here we go. so here're normal and specular maps. I'm showing how I use them in the blender. diffuse map is turned off at the moment.

How is it not working for some models - if there's no normal map to save or it's blank maybe the outfit just doesn't have any.

I think if model uses clothes or hair the normal map should be exported because they always have normal maps.

If it's saving but incorrect in some way, please explain.

it's not saving normal map at all. I noticed sometimes when I export DAE (my priority format) normal maps are not saved but when I try MS3D the normal map is saved.
tho with this old lady this trick doesn't work. If it helps I can upload my save game with this old lady.

p.s.: while writing this I've checked that trick with SM3D and it worked for that old lady so I get the normal map. This is cool! I don't think anything is needed regarding this maps atm.
Maybe I'll have to restart your tool from time to time.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#1349 Old 11th Jan 2022 at 4:48 PM Last edited by CmarNYC : 11th Jan 2022 at 5:16 PM.
normal map is supporting the shape of the model — it's widly used in all games. If I would want to add sims models to some game I would need normal map and without them model will look flat like a doll.
specualr maps are making very good touch to the model too: for hairs for example or for boot straps — white areas on spec map will make the model shine.

I thought about debugging. So, if you can't extract textures semselves maybe you can start with exporting list of textures or some other composition data just to make sure everything work correct. After this check you can extract composited textures. It's just my idea, feel free to tell me that I don't know anything about it

sure. here we go. so here're normal and specular maps. I'm showing how I use them in the blender. diffuse map is turned off at the moment.

I think if model uses clothes or hair the normal map should be exported because they always have normal maps.

it's not saving normal map at all. I noticed sometimes when I export DAE (my priority format) normal maps are not saved but when I try MS3D the normal map is saved.
tho with this old lady this trick doesn't work. If it helps I can upload my save game with this old lady.

p.s.: while writing this I've checked that trick with SM3D and it worked for that old lady so I get the normal map. This is cool! I don't think anything is needed regarding this maps atm.
Maybe I'll have to restart your tool from time to time.

I know what a normal map does.

The sim information listing gives you a list of the CAS parts being used, and you could find and extract the textures with them if you're ambitious. :D

Thanks, but I have no idea how to get to the Blender settings you showed, they don't look like the few texture settings I've worked with. I hate Blender with a passion and am so horribly bad at it that I'd need step by step instructions, with pictures, from importing the mesh to setting up the textures and how to apply them, telling me exactly what to click and where to find it. I don't expect that, of course.

Well, I'm still confused. That pic of a normal map doesn't look like a TS4 normal map which are grayscale. That's why I'm questioning the usefulness - how are you getting a standard normal map from the TS4 format?

Yes, please upload your save game and tell me the name of the sim. If she uses any CC please upload the sim troubleshooting info. Are you sure you're checking the option to process and save normal and emission maps BEFORE you preview the sim? If it's not checked SimRipper will not process those textures and there will be nothing to export. That's the only reason I can think of that a normal map wouldn't be saved - even if none of the clothing or hair has them you should get a blank map.

Anyway, I've fixed the compositing problem and am attaching a new test version.

Edit: I see compositing was working correctly with SimRipper set to HQ, so never mind that part. I'm still curious how you convert the TS4 normal map to that standard blue/purple/pink format. Possibly I could do that conversion in SimRipper.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  TS4SimRipper_3_10_4_0.zip (2.45 MB, 4 downloads)

Test Subject
THANKS POST
#1350 Old 11th Jan 2022 at 6:03 PM
thanks for your detailed information! I'll try to be more specific about blender.

About composition.
With any of the version (even with TS4SimRipper_3_10_4_0) I don't think I get a proper composition of normal maps for the clothes of this old lady. Look at the UV, diffuse and then at the normal map:

Maybe the face and hands also have a normal maps but I've never saw them anywhere and I have never got them extracted with your tool Maybe they just don't exist, I'm not sure.

Regarding the blender. I'm not sure if can help with it because it's DAE which holds all the data about materials and textures. I see that right now blender could import Diffuse, Specual maps into the scene if they are in the folder with DAE model. So that's cool. Specular is not connected to anything tho. Normal map is completely ignored. But again I'm not sure if you can add the information about normal map inside DAE.

Regarding the making common view of a normal map - blue instead of grey.
Just swap Red and Alpha channels and after that fill the Alpha channel with white color — you'll get blue normal map right away.
I would not tackle other channels.

Here's archive with my save, used custom shirt package, screenshot of her from the game and extracted models+textures with latest tool (TS4SimRipper_3_10_4_0):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1on...iew?usp=sharing
Page 54 of 80