Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Feb 2015 at 10:29 PM
Default What worlds, EPs or SPs are essential for your building?
I am thinking of investing in new 'stuff'. I currently have installed Ambitions, World Adventures, Late Night, Supernatural, Seasons, Pets and Uni. I also have Midnight Hollow, Lucky Palms, Dragon Valley, Sunlit Tides, Twinbrook and Riverview. I am not sure what to invest in next, I am attracted to Roaring Heights and would love to know if, as builders, if any of you consider it worth the investment.

As a builder what worlds, EPs etc are essential to you?

For me, I think (rather oddly) that WA is the one I couldn't do without. If I had to choose one (along with basegame) that would be it, mainly because of certain doors and BuyDeBug items.

What about you?
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 13th Feb 2015 at 11:32 PM
I'm moving this to the discussion forums, since you're not asking for feedback on something you've made.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
One Minute Ninja'd
#4 Old 14th Feb 2015 at 12:07 AM Last edited by eskie227 : 14th Feb 2015 at 12:11 AM. Reason: see note
I think WA is the most popular one, as so many builders find useful stuff in it. Of the other EPs, one you don't list having is ITF. If you're looking for "futuristic" or even just more contemporary build stuff, there are a number of items in it that are useful quite separate from the time travel stuff. The kitchen stuff and cabinetry is actually quite versatile, as are the sectional sofa pieces it comes with. Other than that, SHT had a few objects that were nice to add, but I wouldn't necessarily keep it installed just for that.

Personally, of the worlds EA released, the one with some of the best build objects was Roaring Heights for all the art deco pieces they included. It's also one of the better worlds to actually play in, and is one of my go to worlds for just game play. And if you do any world editing for yourself, RH also offered some nice city scaled RHs to play with, despite the fake hi rises.

Edit: so nitromon, you just HAD to post yours at 7:06 PM while I was still reviewing my grammar and couldn't hit submit post until 7:07 PM. Yeah, ITF for modern stuff.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6 Old 14th Feb 2015 at 12:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
I'm moving this to the discussion forums, since you're not asking for feedback on something you've made.

No worries Nysha, I should have thought about that logic before I posted it :p

@nitromon Yeah, ITF is tempting but I'd have to work out how much modern stuff I actually use I don't know if modern is my style - as much as I admire it, I suck at it!

*muses*

@eskie227 Roaring Heights is one I was definitely looking at. I am just getting into remodeling worlds, I am doing that with Lucky Palms at the moment, so maybe Roaring Heights is worth a look.
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#7 Old 14th Feb 2015 at 1:35 AM
I'd go for Monte Vista. There's a whole range of matching windows, a nice door and arch, shiftable window planters, new wallpapers and it would complement the French build items from WA. (Plus, I need some more buildings for Monte Vista )
Scholar
#8 Old 14th Feb 2015 at 4:38 AM
A lot of the Store worlds are heavily themed around some specific architecture style or concept, so while they might look really nice for that world it'll be difficult to use them in others without them awkwardly standing out. Roaring Heights is probably the best, especially for city worlds. Most of the rabbitholes are skyscrapers and the art deco theme goes nicely with anything. Plus those fake building tops are useful decorative objectives. I've never played it, but I imagine Lucky Palms is also good.

For expansion packs, Late Night because the new venues are a definite must have. You can usually find some use for World Adventures, like adding the decorative pieces to a museum. Ambitions has some good stuff community lot types to help build up a town, too.
Instructor
#9 Old 14th Feb 2015 at 7:21 AM
I've got the expansions, except Generations. I have chosen not to have any stuffpacks or store worlds, because I think they're a bit too limited. Also I tend to not like the majority of the content and so I find them too expensive. I don't build modern, but I do find a lot of items from ITF rather fun to work with.
I have actually considered Monte Vista. And should I come across a very cheap version, I will most likely buy it.

I definitely use a lot of stuff from Late Night and Supernatural.
Instructor
#10 Old 14th Feb 2015 at 11:44 AM
As a builder I am kind of against any store stuff because it decrease the number of people who will be able to download your creation – but If I had to choose something from the storeit would be this: http://store.thesims3.com/setsProdu...=OFB-SIM3:72837
And Eps….I have all and I use WA the most too and then Generations because of the shelfes – I use them totally everywhereMaybe consider Showtime? There is a lot of very useful decorational stuff.
I wouldnt recommend purchasing ITF - it slowed down my game a lot and I only like the plants from this ep…I will probably uninstall it along with Island paradise after I finish some projects.
dodgy builder
#11 Old 14th Feb 2015 at 10:58 PM
It depends on what style I want to use. There isn't any I can't live without, basegame and CC works very nicely most of the time. If I use ep's or worlds it's usually because I like functional objects in them.

LN for the bars, Sunlit Tides for massage and sauna, ambitions for the washer and dryer, ITF for the fabulous modern furniture and windows, Supernatural for the rotting chairs, IP and Seasons has some great doors and plants etc etc.
Top Secret Researcher
#12 Old 14th Feb 2015 at 11:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by pirate_wolf_12
For expansion packs, Late Night because the new venues are a definite must have.

I used to feel that way; now, not so much. The LN lot types only serve to limit the drinks that can be made on a specific lot, which limits you if you want to skill up mixology on community lots. Fortunately, there is a mod to fix that. The different bar and lounge types (but not the clubs) are useful if you want to play bandsuck, but with so much suck in bandsuck, why are you playing it? Other than that, the different types only serve to attract or repel townie sims with specific traits. A few will encourage practicing a particular skill if the lot has the required objects on the premises. Overall, the lot types are more of a hindrance than a help. These days, I just use hangouts in my games.

However, as I own all the store worlds, EPs, five SPs, and an embarrassingly long list of other store DLC, I encourage the OP to build and share lots of lots built with any or all of it! I can always use lots more lots.

P.S.: Get the roller coaster venue. We could all use more roller coasters.

TS2 and TS3: Where adult sims potty train their toddlers.
TS4: Where adult sims make Angry Poops.

Which game is made for the juvenile minded?
Instructor
#14 Old 14th Feb 2015 at 11:34 PM
Just base game. I mostly play with constrainfloorelevation, moveobjects and placefriezes cheats. I find those cheats lot more essential and versatile than what the build items look. Though as I mostly build old style houses and cottages the base game windows, doors and arches are enough for me. I rather look for CC item that I want than install whole EP just for one or two items. The only things I miss about WA is the plants, especially the pink flwowers.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 14th Feb 2015 at 11:55 PM
Honestly, I need the Stones Throw Greenhouse from the store and the Gardening Station it adds. I know it isn't EP or SP but oh my god. I have so many sims who do gardening as their self-employment. I might have a problem. I've got every EP and SP except for the Katy Perry pack, and the greenhouse is the one I should have just bought and ignored everything else.
Top Secret Researcher
#16 Old 15th Feb 2015 at 3:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
I could be wrong, but... I was under the impression that NPC bartenders only come with NL. So without it, you cannot even have bartenders on community lots. Again, I haven't checked for a while. Can someone confirm?

I guess I should have been a bit more clear. Yes, NPC bartenders require Late Night. However, that is a separate issue from the LN lot types. The lot types (dive bar, local watering hole, sports bar, dance club, disco, pool side club, fusion lounge, vampire lounge, and exclusive lounge) have zero effect on lot building and, depending on how you play and what mods you use, have limited effect on game-play itself. For more information on these lot types and how they function, I recommend reading http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Bar, http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Club, and http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Lounge.

TS2 and TS3: Where adult sims potty train their toddlers.
TS4: Where adult sims make Angry Poops.

Which game is made for the juvenile minded?
dodgy builder
#17 Old 15th Feb 2015 at 9:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
I could be wrong, but... I was under the impression that NPC bartenders only come with NL. So without it, you cannot even have bartenders on community lots. Again, I haven't checked for a while. Can someone confirm?

It's the objects that matters, where you put it is secondary.

Quote: Originally posted by zigersimmer
I guess I should have been a bit more clear. Yes, NPC bartenders require Late Night. However, that is a separate issue from the LN lot types. The lot types (dive bar, local watering hole, sports bar, dance club, disco, pool side club, fusion lounge, vampire lounge, and exclusive lounge) have zero effect on lot building and, depending on how you play and what mods you use, have limited effect on game-play itself. For more information on these lot types and how they function, I recommend reading http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Bar, http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Club, and http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Lounge.

I agree there is a lot of different lot types, but they do actually have some differences. It mostly depends on the object you use and if they work on the different zonings. I had quite a bit of triel and error on that when making my world. Objects wouldn't attract NPC's on this lot, but it works on that one. I can't be bothered most of the time to remember it all, it's just so much to remember. I also read in another thread not so long ago how some lot types attract more people than other lots. The technicality of it is what you make it I guess. I got a link to a spreadsheet somewhere, but as usual I can't find it when I need it.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#18 Old 16th Feb 2015 at 9:27 PM
Well I made a choice! I got Monte Vista and Roaring Heights ... Omg Roaring Heights is stunning and I love the clothes and the houses. I appreciate it's very stylized but it's a great city. When I asked my Sim whether or not I should go back and try Sims 4 again, she made this face ...

One Minute Ninja'd
#19 Old 16th Feb 2015 at 10:37 PM
Nice choices! Now you see why Roaring Heights is one of my go to worlds. MV is quite nice, but the architecture is so distinctive, you're forced to build within the world, whereas with RH, it's more acceptable to mix your styles in the neighborhood. Enjoy both!

And yeah, can you really go back to 4 after a day in RH?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#20 Old 17th Feb 2015 at 2:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by eskie227
Nice choices! Now you see why Roaring Heights is one of my go to worlds. MV is quite nice, but the architecture is so distinctive, you're forced to build within the world, whereas with RH, it's more acceptable to mix your styles in the neighborhood. Enjoy both!

And yeah, can you really go back to 4 after a day in RH?

I can certainly see why you favor it, I am actually (shock, horror, gasp) playing the game in RH rather than just building!

Ooh and yes, as there is no actual nightclub in RH I've decided to build an Art Deco club using the Brunch at the old Mill tea tables, as well as a bar or two, because during the era of Prohibition (our Roaring Heights era) some booze bootleggers used to serve booze disguised as afternoon tea :P
Scholar
#21 Old 17th Feb 2015 at 8:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by zigersimmer
I used to feel that way; now, not so much. The LN lot types only serve to limit the drinks that can be made on a specific lot, which limits you if you want to skill up mixology on community lots. Fortunately, there is a mod to fix that. The different bar and lounge types (but not the clubs) are useful if you want to play bandsuck, but with so much suck in bandsuck, why are you playing it? Other than that, the different types only serve to attract or repel townie sims with specific traits. A few will encourage practicing a particular skill if the lot has the required objects on the premises. Overall, the lot types are more of a hindrance than a help. These days, I just use hangouts in my games.

I wasn't really referring to the lot assignments themselves, but more the objects and themes. The nightlife-style expansion packs are a necessity to give your sims something to do, because besides them there's little else for your sims to hang out at. Nobody chills out at the art gallery or the pond in the woods or whatever on a Friday night. And without Late Night all you'll have is a self-serve bar with a radio for your nightlife entertainment.

With Late Night, some objects from other packs and a bit of creativity you can make some really great nightclub themes. I think that's why I prefer city worlds, you have a lot more freedom with making more "out there" looking community lots. Personally, I always had to have my buildings fit the theme of the Worlds. For example, a small town could never have some massive nightclub. Some I've made included an old cathedral turned into a high class lounge, a nightclub built in a train (Think Snowpiercer), a seedy dive bar illegally built in an abandoned subway platform, raves hidden in old warehouse districts. I wish there was a way to have them suited to different factions, like in Urbz and Apartment Life though.

Roaring Heights is a really good one. I didn't like the houses but the overall world is really nice. The boardwalk is also a good community lot to have.
dodgy builder
#22 Old 17th Feb 2015 at 12:43 PM
The rollercoaster is great I guess, but as a builder I have to come up with something convincing to build it into, and it's sadly dry