Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 14th Oct 2020 at 10:35 PM
I always name my sims alphabetically, in order of descent through playables. My current hood is growing from the line of a single sim (named Adam for thematic reasons), and then Adam's kids have names starting with B for the oldest, C for the next oldest, ect. The B kid's oldest kid will be a name with C, next D, and so on. If two playables get married, the naming convention will follow from the male parent just like last names and fortunes in my neighborhood pass down, but if a marriage is between a playable and a townie or NPC, the names go down from the playable sim. When I get to Z, I loop back to A.

Within families, I tend to pick names that sound good or consistent with each other. Usually the names are based off parents personalities, like a serious sim's kids might have traditional-sounding names, a sim who loves literature might end up with literary names, ect. I had one family sim girl who had her first birth three days into her teenhood and then rolled the want to have ten kids immediately after-- her first birth was triplets, so I gave them really modern-spellings didn't-think-this-through type of names with excessive K's, X's, and Z's to emphasize the mom's immaturity, and all nine of the kids she had while still a teen and going to college were like that, and when she got married and had the last two kids, they got really normal names because she had finally grown up. Those nine kids are starting to get married and have kids, and most of their kids names are skewing quite traditional because if your name was Jaxzmyne, you'd probably want to name your kids something people can spell.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#27 Old 15th Oct 2020 at 1:14 AM
For fresh out of CAS Sims I usually take what comes to my mind or decide on a theme beforehand. Since I'm playing a medieval-inspired hood, I decided that I would mostly go with rather old-fashioned names and naming children after other family members to honor them. There is also the trend now to name their children after the king, queen and royal children to show loyalty to them.
In my Sultanate, I decided to only use names for members of the dynasty and consorts that actually were used in the Ottoman dynasty. For converted concubines, I usually try to find a new name that starts with the same letter as their birth name.
Scholar
#28 Old 15th Oct 2020 at 4:15 AM
After the 4th Sim named Braydon I think its time to pick a new name... like Braeden! That won't be confusing
Forum Resident
#29 Old 19th Oct 2020 at 7:22 AM
All my sims have all different first names. The exception is family names that are passed down. As I get farther down into the generations, the names are getting a little more obscure (Rafferty, Sibley, Auberon, Waverly recently) It's just easier with computer chats, phone calls, visitor controller etc. to make sure there's only 1 to choose from.
Field Researcher
#30 Old 21st Oct 2020 at 5:09 AM
My usual method is that important playable families pass down their surname to a new generation no matter what - there's no way I want the heir of my favourite family to end up with a dull townie surname and break that history. But in one hood I'm playing a strict matriarchy, meaning female townies with cool names are in high demand. Families that have only sons will see that name die out (except if they can wangle an alien pregnancy!), the family that had four daughters will spread its surname far and wide.

As for first names, I keep a list of names I'd like to use, sometimes grouped by theme if I have families who go in for themed names. Sometimes I have children's names start with the same letter as their father's name (Roger and Tosha Go have Radley, Renata, Ripley and Rory so far) since they have their mother's surname and I may forget which cousin is which in big families. One of my playables married her teen sweetheart Randy London, and I had the kids' names call back to his surname by picking Camden, Finchley and Heston off a map of London.
Scholar
#31 Old 21st Oct 2020 at 6:30 AM
There's not much rhyme or reason to it, lol. Premade families that I have subsequent children for I try to continue any notable theme onward. If the Burbs have more kids after Lucy, for example, I'll pull up the SSA top 100 names and choose something classic like Olivia or Benjamin. For families like the Goths, I go with family name like Victor, Gunther, Cornelia, and Isabella. (I imagine Bella to be a nickname) Dina would want something that sounds wealthy and successful so I choose classic names. Kaylynn gets rocker names like Harley. Nina likes cuddly names like Teddy.

In one legacy I did names based on what was most important to the heir. Trees for the founder since she was beginning a family tree. Gems for her daughter who was a thief. Music for the next. There was one rural family where their last name was Apple and their first names were all different apple varieties. It was actually pretty subtle with names like Goldie, Jonathan, Autumn, Stayman. My favorite was a little girl called Jonagold.

The Mayflies Legacy- a Random Legacy Story
Lab Assistant
#32 Old 21st Oct 2020 at 10:46 AM
Mostly the names are random, or based on what I think the parents might like. But I have one family who named their two sets of twins ( all boys) after composers and late in life had a little girl, they called her Chanson. It just happened that the two older boys - Mozart and Sibelius - married girls with names with a musical connection - Melody, and Carmen, so musical has stuck, the one boy born to them became Beethoven, the girls Symphony, Aria, Opera, and Harmony. My idea is to stick with the theme for children born with the same surname, but with only one boy in that generation so far ( Vivaldi and Puccini are only just settling down, there is a big age difference) it was helpful that Symphony got herself knocked up and stayed unmarried. :-)
Instructor
#33 Old 29th Oct 2020 at 6:21 PM
I'll make a list of names I like, periodically adding more if I start to get low. And then use a randomizer to give me a male, female, and unisex for whatever letter I'm on that birth. I allow myself 3 rerolls if I don't feel like that name fits that family. So far, for new Pleasantview babies, I've ended up with Alyssa Burb, Bobby Broke, Carlisle Goth, Destiny Goth, Eliott Pleasant, Florence Dreamer, Grace Beare, Hailey Sparks, Izzy Caliente, Julian Ruben, Kaiden Starchild, Lucas Goth, Micah Caliente and Nylah Huffington.
Field Researcher
#34 Old 29th Oct 2020 at 6:59 PM Last edited by jotaerre : 29th Oct 2020 at 7:19 PM.
On my end, it depends a lot on the sim or character (not sim) I made, Japanese names for Asians, on other characters I tend to use anglicized Irish & Scottish names, sometimes Spanish and/or Portuguese, and for certain kind of characters that are very cherished to me I use indigenous words from the languages of the great nations in my homeland, Lakota, Omaha, Wayuu, Ye'Kuana, Aztec, Guna, Embera, Mapuche, among other nations. (no need to be real people's names)

Last names are consistent with given names, then in my hoods there are abundant simpeople with those surnames: Fujiwara, Kondo, Watanabe, Aoki, McGregor, McLaren, McLeod, O'Connor, O'Leary, O'Sullivan, Pérez, García, Rojas, Oliveira, Souto, deSousa. :D

Girl in my current avatar is named Natsumi.

From now on I'm just a lurker, the sad truth about the Orwellian status of the sims community is not "off-topic" neither is "politics".
Check part of my current (non sims) creations at my J.R.'s Angels page
Lab Assistant
#35 Old 2nd Nov 2020 at 6:03 PM
Baby names are determined by what I think the parents would name them--sometimes there are themes, like popular '60s names, or tree names, so on.

As far as last names go, it depends mostly on who's marrying into who's family. Heirs/Heiresses always keep their last name. The founding family of a 'hood has their last name across the entire (related) family tree.

Sometimes, parents will take turns--the first child gets Parent A's last name, the second child gets Parent B's last name, so on.

If a Sim is the last in their family line, I like to ensure their name gets passed on, regardless of gender.
Page 2 of 2