Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#76 Old 1st Mar 2018 at 12:21 AM Last edited by GrijzePilion : 1st Mar 2018 at 12:42 AM.
Could be North Dakota or Montana. They're pretty rural, obscure states and they've got the right sort of landscapes. It's a bit farther west but the US is honestly SO geographically diverse that anything is possible.
Then again it's the fictional land of Sims, it might be in northwestern Germany for all we know. There's certainly some hilly, autumn-ready parts over thataways.

I didn't really believe in the Netherlands having any real, raw nature until I went past the center, into the eastern parts of the country, across the border, and then on into Germany. I've been to places more picturesque than your average fairytale fantasy land. I've also been deep into the mountains of Northern Thailand but all things considered, it wasn't really much better than southern Limburg on a sunny summer day. It's like a tiny French countryside right here at home, where there's no French people to ruin it for you.

Actually, no, that's unfair. There's nothing wrong with French people. French people are fine. It's just that collectively, they're notoriously unpleasant. Then again I suppose that goes for people in general.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#77 Old 1st Mar 2018 at 2:08 AM
I can tell you 100%. Appaloosa is nothing like Virginia, Kentucky, Missouri, or Minnesota. I laughed reading that. It MIGHT fit in more with Arizona or New Mexico though, or even further west. And I honesty cant see Bridgeport in either Connecticut or Massachusetts. MAYBE New York, but it actually fits in better with Washington state, and other Seattle-like areas.

Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
As a layman on US geography and region-specific cultures, and the devs try not to be TOO specific about geographic locations to appeal more to people like me, I would definitely place Appaloosa in the southern half of the Midwest. I have no idea what differentiates one state from another but somewhere around Virginia, Kentucky, Missouri, Minnesota sounds about right to me.
Bridgeport would be somewhere around the great lakes. Maybe Connecticut like its real life namesake or Massachussets or Pennsylvania or another hilly state with a hard to spell name.
Top Secret Researcher
#78 Old 1st Mar 2018 at 3:17 AM
Virginia is not in the midwest; it is in the southeast.

I'm not sure where Appaloosa Plains is. Texas, maybe?
Mad Poster
#79 Old 1st Mar 2018 at 12:49 PM
Nah, Texas is too plain. Too little vegetation, and they don't have the right type of hills there either. I know for a fact that Bridgeport's layout is somewhat based on Pittsburgh but obviously that doesn't include the coastline and steep cliffs.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Lab Assistant
#80 Old 2nd Mar 2018 at 5:21 PM
Being a privileged citizen of an underdeveloped nation, therefore exempt from EA's marketing focus, I did not see any game launch for World Adventures or The Sims 3 at all, but it did get (poorly) translated into our language and released in Spain. And probably, yet unlikely, in Mexico too. I would assume W.A. was likewise released with a certain amount of marketing effort in France and in China, perhaps with an emphasis on the "historical flavour of each destination"? I highly doubt any economic effort was made to launch the game in Egypt, as it seems to me like an even less profitable market than my own country is.
Test Subject
#81 Old 12th Mar 2018 at 11:36 PM
Appaloosa Plains looks like the American Midwest to me. I believe they also have a large dinosaur town decoration, which isn't uncommon in midwestern towns (as there's a lot of dinosaur finds there). However the foothills that surround it make it look like it could possibly be Pennsylvania as well. Whenever I see Bridgeport I think of North Atlantic Seaboard of the USA, and Riverview is very similar to small towns you find around the Great Lakes, both on the US and Canadian sides. I think Midnight Hollow is supposed to inspired by Transylvania, with all the cliffs and narrow passes and such.
Field Researcher
#82 Old 13th Mar 2018 at 12:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Don Babilon
Interesting to see that the place in Tobago has something that appears to be named Sex Cottage at around the location of Agnes Crumplebottom's home in TS3...

ETA: As regards the other places, while they are nothing like authentic representations, there are still some elements that sort of ring a bell.
While I worked, very briefly, in Cairo we took trips south towards Memphis and Saqqara and some of the villages along the canal south of Giza do have elements that recur in Al Simhara (if you ignore the filth). The geography on the other hand is completely off: the Sphinx is below and in front of the three pyramids (when seen from Cairo/the river) and smaller than in TS3, the Hatshepsut temple is somewhere completely different as are Abu Simbel and Karnak and the sea is certainly still very far away from all of these locations.

Champs les Sims, on the other hand, reminds me of places in Franche Comté, Ornans in particular, which is, however nowhere near Paris.

And I think that San Marino was the inspiration for Monte Vista, which is, technically, not even Italy.

Disclaimer: I am neither Egyptian, nor French, nor Italian and know nothing about having any traces of these three in my blood.

I think Monteriggioni was one of the inspirations for Monte Vista (which is in Italy).

But apart from the WA worlds I don’t think you can really pinpoint one actual existing place to the Sims worlds.
Field Researcher
#83 Old 13th Mar 2018 at 1:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
The main problem with France, China and Egypt is their name. If they called the towns something else, it wouldn't be a problem. That's why worldbuilders finds other names to their towns, you don't have to argue about things that doesn't fit. Like my project Angkor Wat, I will rename it to something else when it's released, because then I won't offend anyone.

Something like Champs les Sims, Shang Simla and Al Simhara you mean.
Scholar
#84 Old 13th Mar 2018 at 1:07 AM
Except in the game I get an opportunity to go to Egypt...
Mad Poster
#85 Old 13th Mar 2018 at 7:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Jo-Anne
But apart from the WA worlds I don’t think you can really pinpoint one actual existing place to the Sims worlds.

Everyone who has a need to know and who has the required security clearance can tell you exactly where in the general vicinity of Nevada one will find Lunar Lakes.
Field Researcher
#86 Old 14th Mar 2018 at 12:54 AM Last edited by Jo-Anne : 14th Mar 2018 at 1:06 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
Everyone who has a need to know and who has the required security clearance can tell you exactly where in the general vicinity of Nevada one will find Lunar Lakes.

Ah, yeah, forgot about that one! There’s always the exception to the rule
Field Researcher
#87 Old 14th Mar 2018 at 1:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tunafishfish
Except in the game I get an opportunity to go to Egypt...

Yes, and the Sphinx and pyramids and the Temple of Queen Hatshepsut also sort of give it away I see it as Egypt (and China and France) in a different dimension. Hence the similarities, hence the differences. Love it personally, totally addicted to that pack and the fact it’s inspired by real life ancient heritage. For me it adds depth to my sims’ experiences.
Page 4 of 4