Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Oct 2020 at 9:44 AM
Default Tidying up CC/Mods - Any tips or advice?
Sooo, the never ending story... at least for me I've put off this task for a while now, but now I've got some time in the next week, soooo *drumroll*

I want to tidy up my sims folder

When I started to download stuff, I had NO IDEA at all, about anything. So I've installed something as package, something in sims3packs, something via launcher, something via CC Magic. I guess there is a lot of stuff, I've just downloaded because I had a long time where I could not play and I just loved to imagine how I would use this stuff, once I could play again... now my game is cluttered with stuff I probably never used and never will use Additionally I have installed some lots and sims from the exchange and I have the strong feeling they brought me in some CC I've never wanted, so I would never do this again. And I have obviously some mods conflicting (as igazor and nitromon thankfully pointed out to me in other threads) as my registers are acting up and my females are not aging correctly (they want to stay teens forever, god bless them).

So what I want to do: I start with a brand new Sims3 folder and I guess all of my NRaas mods as I think they are really needed and also the best tested mods out there and therefore probably as bugfree as software can be. Then I will start and move CC back like perhaps 10 or 20 packages at a time? Or perhaps only when I miss something?

Do you have any tips here? Or want to share how you do it? How is everything organized? I used to have a structure in CC Magic, that was like Hair_f, Hair_m, Hair_c etc. but often this went wrong when Hair was enabled for all genders or the package contained hair for multiple lifestages. I think I would like to apply a more playstyle related approach this time like: Futuristic items, Nursery Stuff, Medieval Clothes... then I could enable/disable portions of cc when switching between different saves...

I've read that some people don't use CC Magic as the program can get hickups and the compressed files aren't important anymore on modern systems?
I've also read somewhere that it is best practice to convert everything to packages first... should I do that? Does this even include patterns and counters and custom/store worlds now? How do you manage the stuff that comes bundled in the store worlds?

I had no problems to get my store stuff to work while installing it via launcher, but heard that many people use decrapified versions (but need a store fix file then, or did I get this wrong?) Is there any advantage to this approach so that I should switch?

Some people seem to check every package they bring in their game for miscategorization (is this even an english word?) or check skins for unwanted color ramps... I'm not sure, if I want to do this (or even can do this), but actually it sounds like the rational thing to do. Is there a tutorial out there showing what to look for in the package files? Should I remove custom thumbnails or even compress texture like nitromon is experimenting with (details )?

I hope you get the point of my post Any thoughts, hints, links to "How tos" or just sharing how you do it will be highly appreciated!

Let the cleaning begin!
Advertisement
Instructor
#3 Old 17th Oct 2020 at 4:23 AM
I use the launcher for worlds, counters and my store content. I put mods straight in the mods folder and use CCMagic for everything else, and organize it in folders in CCMagic after I convert it to packages. I have a new stuff folder that I use for new stuff to test.

I used the decraped store stuff before and even with the fixes they often would randomly stop working or cause other problems so I stopped using it that way. I just load it properly now.

There are things I will probably be going through and fixing categories and things like that when I get a working computer again because because that drives my a little crazy.