Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Feb 2021 at 9:51 PM Last edited by EduPie : 27th Feb 2021 at 9:51 PM. Reason: Took off an outside emoji because the system doesn't recognize them.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Is there a way to place windows & doors "off-grid" + shift them (move up/down)?
Sims 2 can be pretty limited, but I'd expect that you could at least place them in quarter tiles. If you can use an object off-grid, why wouldn't the AI be able to walk across a door in the same circumstances? But I mean, I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case, considering you need to clone doors/windows to even place them diagonally.

I get that some windows shouldn't be able to be shifted (like the ones where pets can climb/look out), but has anyone made a mod to unlock that ability? For at least some of them? Or some type of cloned-objects for them + mirrors with that possibility in mind? Or am I missing out on some cheat codes here?

Thanks in advance. You might want to move this to WCIF, but I decided to post them here for the sake of me being dumb, and forgetting about some hidden code that I can use to do that.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 27th Feb 2021 at 10:34 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 27th Feb 2021 at 10:48 PM.
Windows don't work like that in TS2, unfortunately. Has to do with the way they're made (wall cutouts), and animations for doors plus how these work ingame.

When you use cheats, the wall cutouts don't want to work properly. The Moveobjects cheat works as long as the wall allows for placement (but will not work if there's already something in the way, and you get the "wall bug"), but not the Snapobjects or Quartertile because those don't work with the wall cutouts, and you also get the "wall bug"). Doors and windows will work on a diagonal as long as there is a diagonal mesh for it. Not everyone add a diagonal mesh, though - so if CC doors/windows don't work, that could be the problem. There could also be something in the way of the placement. If there's a picture or piece of furniture too close, they might not snap into place.

You can download windows and doors that have different heights and placements, though. Simmers have made a lot of those over the years, like single-tiled doors adjusted to the middle of two tiles and vice versa, and various variants of windows and doors.

One example is the Value set, based on one of the doors ingame (parts 1-4 are linked here - I think there are more items too). There's several similar "completer" sets like that to find around the TS2 community.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 27th Feb 2021 at 11:26 PM
Doors and windows snap into the section. If you place it off section through cheats it won't work. If you want a door centred on two tiles you can get CC. I would recommend the bespoke set here on MTS.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~