Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Nov 2008 at 4:21 PM
Default Transform a painting into a mirror ?
Hi,

I would like to know if it is possible to transform a painting into a mirror and how to proceed.
In fact i would like to create a mirror which looks like "How Eloquent by Bartholomey Dude" because i like it frame and i think it would be a wonderful mirror ^^.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 16th Nov 2008 at 4:40 PM
Just recoulour the glass to look like said painting.

easy =D
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#3 Old 16th Nov 2008 at 4:49 PM
Err, except that's not what they're wanting to do. They want a mirror with the -frame- from that one painting.

You'd need to clone from a mirror, replace its mesh with the frame and painting part from the painting you want to use, make sure the subset names match, and bring in the frame textures from the painting. There may also be some other considerations in making a mirror (I recall seeing a lot of issues with the actual reflective part not being aligned properly with the mesh despite being okay in your 3D modeler).

You would really need to go through the beginner object tutorials first before being prepared to do something like this.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Scholar
Original Poster
#4 Old 16th Nov 2008 at 6:29 PM
I don't find a tutorial to do a mirror
The ModFather
retired moderator
#5 Old 16th Nov 2008 at 9:30 PM
Because there is not. MTS2 can't have a tutorial for each and every object; and mirrors, as said by HP, is an average-to-advanced kind of modding, that should be tried by modders with some experience in object creation.

In any case, cloning a mirror and examining its mesh in a 3D editor can give you some useful hints about the peculiarity of these objects.
You could also examine (not clone) some custom mirrors, so to spot which similarities and which differences there are between them.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Scholar
Original Poster
#6 Old 17th Nov 2008 at 12:26 PM
I cloned a mirror and i put the mesh of the painting in the geometric data container. I replaced the texture too. But the texture do not appear in the mesh, why ?
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#7 Old 17th Nov 2008 at 1:32 PM
are you attempting to use the original texture? In that case you can make it a repository object and there is a tutorial for that. It is in the below link

http://www.modthesims2.com/wiki.php...itory_Technique
Scholar
Original Poster
#8 Old 17th Nov 2008 at 1:37 PM Last edited by TheJim07 : 17th Nov 2008 at 1:45 PM.
No i don't think i need a repository object.
In game, the mirror appear but whithout the frame of the painting. I don't know why because i add the mesh in the geometric data container and the texture of the frame. I think the mesh and the texture are not linked, how can i do it ?
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#9 Old 17th Nov 2008 at 1:40 PM
Well, if you want to use the same texture for the mirror as the original painting then instead of putting the texture in the file you link the frame for the new mirror file to the original painting and it is exact copy and all uv mapped for you.
Scholar
Original Poster
#10 Old 17th Nov 2008 at 1:49 PM
Yes but it appear a little difficult ^^'. I want to do as simple possible !
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#11 Old 17th Nov 2008 at 1:57 PM
It seems hard but it is not - it is easier than uvmapping and things...
retired moderator
#12 Old 17th Nov 2008 at 1:52 PM
Assuming the frame has the same name as the original frame subset in the mirror you cloned from, and that you imported the texture properly, it should already be working.

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#13 Old 17th Nov 2008 at 2:37 PM
That is true, but it will make the file needlessly big, and the repository technique is handy to learn for the future.
retired moderator
#14 Old 17th Nov 2008 at 2:53 PM
It's handy, yes, but it's also pretty tricky for a beginner, especially when they're already having trouble getting the texture in a normal, non-repository version to work at all...

Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#15 Old 17th Nov 2008 at 3:15 PM
Hi all

I have found a tutorial by echo - this helps you to check if the TXMT and GMND etc are all joined together. It looks complicated but it really isn't. if you open your object and click objecttools/scenegrapher then you will see a map of your object. You can check if all is joined like it should be. Alternatively you can post the object in the repair centre but I think you want to solve this on your own, right?

http://www.sims2wiki.info/wiki.php?..._the_Scenegraph
Scholar
Original Poster
#16 Old 17th Nov 2008 at 5:15 PM
Oh, thank you for the scenegraph, i will try it ^^
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#17 Old 17th Nov 2008 at 6:01 PM
ok, let me know how it goes - I use it all the time as my objects NEVER work right first time.
Scholar
Original Poster
#18 Old 17th Nov 2008 at 6:38 PM
All seems to be linked correctly.
I replaced the name of the painting mesh by the original name and... it works ! In game, the mesh and the texture appear but... as you can see in the screen (HERE), the mirror is not ready to be used !
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#19 Old 17th Nov 2008 at 6:47 PM
hmm, that is interesting - you are using milkshape as your 3d editor? If so maybe you can open both meshes and then move the mirror piece so it is in the good place over the frame, then delete the frame and mirror is in right place - all this in milkshape, not in SimPE (hopefully)
Scholar
Original Poster
#20 Old 17th Nov 2008 at 9:21 PM
I've done it ! Look ^^ : HERE
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#21 Old 17th Nov 2008 at 9:51 PM
well done! it is lovely, when do you upload?
Scholar
Original Poster
#22 Old 17th Nov 2008 at 10:25 PM
I don't even know how to upload an object ^^'. Before that I have one more thing to do : in the catalog, the picture of the mirror is the one wich be cloned . Do you know how can i resolve that ?
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#23 Old 17th Nov 2008 at 10:38 PM
yes I know how, but it is scary first time, so here we go:

in your c/documents&settings/your name/mydocuments/EAgames/the sims2/thumbnails delete all the files but keep the folder. When you restart the game all the thumbnails come back with the good picture. If you are afraid make a copy of the folder before you delete.
Scholar
Original Poster
#24 Old 17th Nov 2008 at 10:56 PM
OK, thanks ^^, then i can upload the mirror. I'll try to do it.