Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Nov 2020 at 7:23 AM Last edited by Berlin77 : 19th Nov 2020 at 12:03 PM.
Default Ideas For Sims And Thier Homes, Please!!
I know that I am not the only one who enjoys creating thier own Sims, Sim households and building thier homes. Even if you do not use CAS or build homes I believe as a player you have or can dream up some interesting possibilities! Singles, couples, big family, small family a multi generations http://essaywriter.fun/ household? Basically thier ages, gender, genetics, personality, turn on and offs (the basics). Personal Bios or back story. What type of home do you envision for them? My new custom town needs Sims and Families and I need your help! (Please and Thank You)
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 18th Nov 2020 at 5:52 PM
Usually I keep the homes in the same time-period or style as the hood. So Gothic, castles, primitive houses don't go in my very modern or futuristic hood. And then I build for the family; an "old fashion" family will live in a mid-century house (which I love), single swinger will live in a small but very "modern" house - 2 story, no gardening, kitchen/dining/living open, large bedroom upstairs with own bath, probably a bar area and hot tub. So the houses are based on personality & life wants of Sims, but not ages turn offs, etc.
My fav (with a bigger household mod) is to pick a big lot, move 4 couples on it, make them work for the money. Set them up with ACR (maybe add another mod that lets everyone breed) depending on my story. Children live dormitory style, with communal bathrooms. When they get enough money to build more, I add enlarge the living/dining/kitchen, and add a BIG baby room; all of them set up for the babies who will be born 4 to 6 at a time to various couples. It's just too boring to me to play a single house that only will have 1 or 2 kids. My "aliens crash landed" now has graves of all the originals, most of their kids (elders)(some left for looking too "normal"!), lots of kids, and teens about to become adults and have a new crop of babies....I think I have over 20 in the house. Mostly they cook, bath, and clean by themselves. The only problem: their are no townies, and they are running out of unrelated house members! The few romance sims would be miserable if it wasn't for the strawberry-lemonade they make!

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#3 Old 18th Nov 2020 at 6:34 PM
I really like random character generators like this one to give me ideas. Then I use random sim generators like this one to decide sim characteristics. There's a transition to teen one that I like for aging sims up. The type of house you should build is usually apparent once you have the sim in front of you!
Mad Poster
#4 Old 19th Nov 2020 at 1:04 AM
That random character generator is interesting. It gave me a bio for a young woman who could "only walk when she is upside down" and was "wrongly accused of being in possession of an illegal cabbage."
Mad Poster
#5 Old 19th Nov 2020 at 6:34 AM
My sims are building their own houses on homestead lots in my BACC in Dodge since it's only 1841 there so far and most homes are of a very simple basic design out of necessity because the settlers aren't all great at building yet.That will change as the town grows and buildings designs will advace as they get better at building.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#6 Old 19th Nov 2020 at 2:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by RoxEllen1965
That random character generator is interesting. It gave me a bio for a young woman who could "only walk when she is upside down" and was "wrongly accused of being in possession of an illegal cabbage."

Now you see why I like it, and also why my sims are like they are!

Quote: Originally posted by TadOlson
My sims are building their own houses on homestead lots in my BACC in Dodge since it's only 1841 there so far and most homes are of a very simple basic design out of necessity because the settlers aren't all great at building yet.That will change as the town grows and buildings designs will advace as they get better at building.

I love this idea, but I can never stick to building things slowly- I end up building the whole town in a day!
Theorist
#7 Old 19th Nov 2020 at 3:16 PM
@simsample
At least you build.
I postpone building indefinitely since I don't always enjoy it.
That random character generator sounds really fun.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 19th Nov 2020 at 5:17 PM
@Simsample -I used to be just like you with my new towns and always windered why I ended up losing interest in them or getting too focused on one family and forgetting about the rest of them.I switched over to this way and it's working better because I'm mostly sticking to a town unless I want to play another theme like an apocalypse challenge or TOT challenge which are set further back in history.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 19th Nov 2020 at 8:03 PM
Think of a name pun. Take the family name and see how many other puns you can make with it. These are the family members. Look at the number, the gender distribution, anything that may suggest identity for these sims. Roll with it. Doodle family trees. Think about them as you fall asleep.

Drama Acres started with six sims, one for each aspiration: Ernest Munny, Sage Ann Onions, Sadie Hawkins, Greg Aerious, Eppie Curian, Dom Estic. Okay, so, Sadie isn't a pun, but I thought it a great name for a female romance sim. (If you don't see why, google "Sadie Hawkins Day.") Hawkins was also an easy name to get puns out of: Sadie, Kitty, Goz, Cooper, Harris, Merlin. Sadie had to be a teen and go straight to college, so this fell out into a handy family distribution: Kitty and Goz the parents, Cooper a teen, Harris a child, Merlin a toddler. Aerious, however, was very hard! I could only think of Hilary. So Greg was the child of a single mother. The Hawkinses had more kids than the other families, so they were obviously Family. Hilary implied a Pleasure sim to me, so Greg's mom was Pleasure, like Eppie Curian, whose parents were Marie and Pierre Curian, obviously Knowledge! And so on. Thus was Drama Acres born.

When making a family with parents, take Maxis as a model of what not to do! It's easy to give married couples good chemistry, by giving them compatible aspirations, star signs, and turn-ons/offs.

When deciding genetics, think ahead and give yourself plenty of variety. Unless there's a reason for the neighborhood to be racially homogenous (my core Drama Acres families were all black because the experimental games I'd played to that point had showed me that the premades and townies were going to be skewed light-skinned; in the end this gave me a good range of skintones but not of hair and eye colors), I would rotate through the genetics, so that your starting families have a good mix. I like to pair dominant hair colors with recessive eye colors and vice versa. For sims whose names don't give you a clear direction, you can rotate through aspirations, turn ons, and star signs, too.

Once you've made the family, and can see their budget, build a house that suits them. Pro tip: Build the house and furnish it, then move the sims in! Otherwise they'll start with wants to buy things which will get filled almost at once, and you'll have begun training them to want Stuff instead of more interesting things.

You can't expect us to give you cohesive family concepts. We don't know what you like to play!

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10 Old 19th Nov 2020 at 10:49 PM
I always start with married couples. Only very occasionally would I start with a single sim and never a larger family. I find myself disconnected from them. I like all the new sims to be born in from the original couples or married one of their descendants. So I have plenty of big families and sim variety, but I wait for that to develop naturally. I play quite slowly, my couples who founded Coral Bay are now elders-after 4 real years of me playing them and the youngest grandchild of there's is about to become a teen.

I have a new method for making sims now in CAS. I never can be bothered to use Body Shop, I have enough cc that I don't need to.
I click randomize a few times and find what face template I have landed on. I have default and non-default face templates, all up 104 of them ....oh yeah.
Then I go through each section going down. So the game has 16 brows, I put 16 into random.org and find out which brow in-game I will be using. I then right-click on that brow. I can do anywhere from 1 to 10 clicks. 10 clicks will change the sims brow completely to the brow that I am using. 1 will give a barely noticeable change. Again random.org will decide how many clicks to use.
Then there are 15 eyes areas, 22 noses,15 lips, 14 chins.
I then roll 5 for eye shades, 7 for skins, 4 for hair shade.
Depending on what I need I may roll 34/33/32 for turn on and offs and 6 for aspiration. It depends on why and who I am making.
If I don't like a combo I change it.

I play an integrated hood so sims all have specific roles to play. I knew when I first made them that I was making the cop, the fireman, the doctor, the teacher etc.
I then use motivation/intelligence levels. This decides on things like skilling speed and ability which helps sort sims, especially born in sims, as to what they may do as adults. A sim who is going to become a doctor will be highly motivated, go to uni, get a degree etc.
As to the house, this also depends on their role in the community. The doctor and her family were moved into the clinic. If they needed to buy a community lot business those sims got a much smaller house since Monique computer loans are pretty horrific (I started using the loan jar at 1% interest later) For some like the police station house I used mortgage shrubs. I could have just given them more money like I do in my medieval hood but I didn't want to. In my medieval hood peasants get the games 25K, merchants one motherload, Nobels 2 motherloads and royalty 3 or more.

All this to say, I prefer my sims to gradually tell me who they are and for the family to develop. My most combined family are the police family. There are the grandparents (part of the founders) their son and daughter-in-law who have 1 child but also her twin siblings that they adopted because her mother is a romance sim who just has kids indiscrimently. The twins are only 1 day older than her own child.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#11 Old 21st Nov 2020 at 2:20 PM
"Jim Marshall is a careless man from Australia who can only smile after eating sausages. "

I tried the randomizer Simsample suggested above - not sure it is going to work for me

I just give all of them different star signs and work from there. New Sims move into starter homes - that's what they can afford, after all And then the hood grows from there. (I am making a new one, so I find everything said above interesting and helpful too).
Mad Poster
#12 Old 24th Nov 2020 at 6:26 AM
@Justpetro -We're both setting up new towns and mine is Pleasant Valley using an edited Pleasantview terrain I downloaded from here and it's for the Pleasantview Epic Challenge game starting in the 17th century with a single community lot and a homestead for my first couple and more homesteads for each new couple who arrives in the spring.I found that setting up hoemsteads keeps the largest lot size more affordable and I also do use apartment zoned boardinghouses as another housing option with it being subsidized by the installation of the M&G stuff green energy sources on the lot.
Scholar
#13 Old 24th Nov 2020 at 10:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
Think of a name pun. Take the family name and see how many other puns you can make with it. These are the family members. Look at the number, the gender distribution, anything that may suggest identity for these sims. Roll with it. Doodle family trees. Think about them as you fall asleep.

Drama Acres started with six sims, one for each aspiration: Ernest Munny, Sage Ann Onions, Sadie Hawkins, Greg Aerious, Eppie Curian, Dom Estic. Okay, so, Sadie isn't a pun, but I thought it a great name for a female romance sim. (If you don't see why, google "Sadie Hawkins Day.") Hawkins was also an easy name to get puns out of: Sadie, Kitty, Goz, Cooper, Harris, Merlin. Sadie had to be a teen and go straight to college, so this fell out into a handy family distribution: Kitty and Goz the parents, Cooper a teen, Harris a child, Merlin a toddler. Aerious, however, was very hard! I could only think of Hilary. So Greg was the child of a single mother. The Hawkinses had more kids than the other families, so they were obviously Family. Hilary implied a Pleasure sim to me, so Greg's mom was Pleasure, like Eppie Curian, whose parents were Marie and Pierre Curian, obviously Knowledge! And so on. Thus was Drama Acres born.

When making a family with parents, take Maxis as a model of what not to do! It's easy to give married couples good chemistry, by giving them compatible aspirations, star signs, and turn-ons/offs.

When deciding genetics, think ahead and give yourself plenty of variety. Unless there's a reason for the neighborhood to be racially homogenous (my core Drama Acres families were all black because the experimental games I'd played to that point had showed me that the premades and townies were going to be skewed light-skinned; in the end this gave me a good range of skintones but not of hair and eye colors), I would rotate through the genetics, so that your starting families have a good mix. I like to pair dominant hair colors with recessive eye colors and vice versa. For sims whose names don't give you a clear direction, you can rotate through aspirations, turn ons, and star signs, too.

Once you've made the family, and can see their budget, build a house that suits them. Pro tip: Build the house and furnish it, then move the sims in! Otherwise they'll start with wants to buy things which will get filled almost at once, and you'll have begun training them to want Stuff instead of more interesting things.

You can't expect us to give you cohesive family concepts. We don't know what you like to play!

I was inspired and made a military base (based on the one from Castaway) with the Station family: Bus, Luna, Rock and Teevee.
Now to find out what they are actually going to live off of...

Paladins/SimWardrobes downloads: https://simfileshare.net/folder/87849/
Mad Poster
#14 Old 24th Nov 2020 at 1:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TadOlson
@Justpetro -We're both setting up new towns and mine is Pleasant Valley using an edited Pleasantview terrain I downloaded from here and it's for the Pleasantview Epic Challenge game starting in the 17th century with a single community lot and a homestead for my first couple and more homesteads for each new couple who arrives in the spring.I found that setting up hoemsteads keeps the largest lot size more affordable and I also do use apartment zoned boardinghouses as another housing option with it being subsidized by the installation of the M&G stuff green energy sources on the lot.

Enjoy Good advice too, I will keep that in mind for my hood, although it is not a challenge, it is a big map and I want to grow it until it is filled up with lots and families