Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Sep 2008 at 11:22 PM
The Window - I'm addicted to Critism :)
---------------------
To the moderators, I know I'm only supposed to have one thread at a time, but it was getting long and looks like it will take a while, please don't merge them.
---------------------

Right, so I was getting bored working only on that one house so I decide to make a new one. I forget the name of it, so for now it's The Window. I felt balcony like so it has plenty of balcony. And windows. So far what do you think? I know there is no top-down, but try and look through the windows.

Screenshots

Facebook | Currently On Hiatus | Twitter
Current Works-In-Progress: 0
Future Car | 2012 EA Cars | Car Parts | Jet Plane | Telephone Table | Concept Car
Traditional Bed Set | Living Set | 82 Slate Roofs | 1/2-Tile Kitchen Set | Distant Terrains | Kids Bedroom
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 6th Sep 2008 at 12:30 AM
I like it, but I'm almost wondering what the point is to having any walls inside. The Sims that live there definitely don't require privacy. ;o)

I would like to see some landscaping, though.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#3 Old 6th Sep 2008 at 3:50 AM
Wow, actually that's a good point. I could make it more studio-like.

Future Car | 2012 EA Cars | Car Parts | Jet Plane | Telephone Table | Concept Car
Traditional Bed Set | Living Set | 82 Slate Roofs | 1/2-Tile Kitchen Set | Distant Terrains | Kids Bedroom
Forum Resident
#4 Old 6th Sep 2008 at 6:42 AM
maybe you could have walls around some rooms, but to keep the glass effect, cover them with mirrors.

I no longer make sims, if you wish to contact me through this site it is highly unlikely that you will receive a reply.
Forum Resident
#5 Old 6th Sep 2008 at 4:28 PM
Or use Numenor's WallWindows. Unless this is CC free, of course.
Test Subject
#6 Old 6th Sep 2008 at 5:11 PM
add some landscaping, like some bushes and maybe some trees, and leave walls in there but just for rooms like the bathroom and bedroom

Axel's AutoBody-Shop
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 6th Sep 2008 at 7:31 PM
I would use Numenor's wall windows for the interior walls. Make it an all glass house. I think there is a frosted glass recolor you could use for the bathroom. I think it looks good.

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once. ~Jennifer Yane
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 8th Sep 2008 at 7:14 PM
could we see some interior layout pics? It's not obvious from the outside how much space there is inside.

Viva Pinata: It's not just a game, it's a movement.
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 8th Sep 2008 at 9:56 PM
Ok, add trees and more landscaping but also use different types of terrian here and there, maybe for the front path, or around the house?
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#10 Old 9th Sep 2008 at 5:05 AM Last edited by morphead : 9th Sep 2008 at 5:12 AM.
Here are the new photos. I did some window replacement/adding.

Screenshots

Lab Assistant
#11 Old 9th Sep 2008 at 3:40 PM
That's great, thanks.

Viva Pinata: It's not just a game, it's a movement.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 12th Sep 2008 at 7:27 PM
submit it!
Blenderized to Pieces
retired moderator
#13 Old 12th Sep 2008 at 9:48 PM
Hi! It has a nice, modern feel to it. I like the open floorplan.

I would make a few suggestions, just based on real living and sims2 play.

1: The upstairs left corner stairwell... that 1 square landing, facing the window, next to the room's door and the way into the room itself can bottleneck sims play. They'll do a lot of yelling if more than one sim is up there at the same time.

2: I like the open floorplan as far as the views from one room to the other go, but the walking paths are right through the center of the rooms which leaves little room for furnishings. Put some furniture in there and paly test several sims through there to find the bottlenecks.

3: Just a suggestion, You might want to try making an L shaped kitchen, an L counter you can place stools to sit at the counter I suggest you move the stove away from the glass window. You can't hang a fire alarm there and the novice sims cookers will burn the house down. I'd also move the fridge to the corner so as to have a bit more useable counter room to prep food on. You really don't want kids and people racing back and forth through a galley wall kitchen where you can drop things on passersby. . (That's the mom in me. )

Anyway. Put some furnishings in there so we can see how you can arrange it and what the traffic patterns are going to be like.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#14 Old 13th Sep 2008 at 3:43 AM
I was playing around with the house and I was thinking I didn't quite have enough room to work with, so I expanded the house. What do you think? Should I go back to before, or is this acceptable?

Screenshots

Blenderized to Pieces
retired moderator
#15 Old 13th Sep 2008 at 6:37 AM
Ok... I've snagged your images and circled some of the places I think can pose problems for in-game play and where I think you could improve the esthetics. I think there are too many odd, narrow corners and corridors. those will make your simmies annoyed with you and, it will be difficult to furnish. Also, The green dots represent the traffic path which goes through the center of your rooms. Good design opens on to rooms but you want to avoid having to cross the middle of them to get to other parts of a house.

Oh! I moved the door of your kitchen to the end of the wall away from the stove side.

I like the open windows and floor plan and I think this has a lot of potential. Save this lot to your lot bin, then run a sims family through it to check for traffic flow.
Screenshots
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#16 Old 13th Sep 2008 at 7:23 AM
Yes it is a bathroom; I can't help taking up that much floor space; the game won't allow me to put down flooring there; That is the stair landing and I will fix the overhang; thought I did that?; Dark spot is a hole, but flooring will go there, that's a bathroom; The narrow corridor is an entry bathroom; I've been thinking about the pool for awhile now, and am still undecided what to do with it; in the bottle neck area that bathroom door is actually inside the bedroom, so it's really just space; What should I do about the wasted space downstairs?

Blenderized to Pieces
retired moderator
#17 Old 13th Sep 2008 at 10:30 PM Last edited by porkypine : 13th Sep 2008 at 10:38 PM.
I suggest you place some furnishings in your floor plan so you can see what works and what doesn't.

Try to think how the sims can use that 'wasted' space. You can use that 2x6 tile area for a small office space. Or you can put a couch there so the sims can look out the window, but if a sim sits in the first space by the opening into the room and another sims wants to sit further in, they will stomp and yell at you because they can't get past the sim sitting in the first spot.

You can't really put a tv in there because it's inefficient use of space - only 1 chair can look at the tv.

As far as the pool goes.. can you make it fill the center up to the windows and the entry stairs? That would be interesting to view - A real life maintenance nightmare, but architecturally interesting nevertheless..

1 technique I always use when building is to use a single bed, a double bed and a long couch as room measuring devices. I plunk them in there to test traffic flow.
Locked thread | Locked by: lewjen Reason: do not delete - useful info