Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Jan 2014 at 2:25 PM
Default Two questions regarding motives
Set the first two operand boxes to 0x07. This tells the game that we're going to provide literal values for the rate of skill
increase, and for the maximum value the motive boost can reach. The third operand box selects which motive is going to
be getting a boost. Set this to 0x0E, which is the social motive. Leave the fourth motive box as 0. This field controls a
flag field which isn't needed in this case. The next two operand boxes (the fifth and sixth) specify how fast the skill
should be gained, as a measure of points per hour. Remember that these fields are "little endian", which means that if you
enter 0x23 and 0x01 in the two boxes, that would actually be read by the game as 0x0123. You can use whatever value
you want here, but I'd suggest setting it to something like 0x0020.
Finally, the last two operand boxes in the top line specify the maximum value that the motive should be allowed to reach.
Because we want sims to be able to max out their social need with this object if they use it for long enough, we'll set it to
0x0064, which is the hex equivalent of 100 (the maximum value for any motive. Remember that these two operand
boxes are also little endian, so you will need to re-arrange the numbers so they work).

This is from the 'Making a better interaction - Entries, exits, skills and motives'. I can't figure out what numbers to put in the operand boxes to slowly decrease a motive to minimum instead of increasing it to maximum. Can anyone help me out please?

Secondly, I looked at the motive settings for fun advertising on the cat toy and tried to put the same ones on my custom item, but for some reason it won't save. The one under 'pie menu functions' 'animal motives'. Even if I save and commit, when I go out of the pie menu it reverts to 0. DX Not sure what I'm doing wrong there.

If anyone can help with either I'd be very grateful!
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 21st Jan 2014 at 2:57 PM
If you can, I would suggest using the wizard for those operands (the tool icon), and setting the wizard to use decimal values. Then youj can type in, say, -10, hit Apply, and SimPE will convert that into operands for you.

Regarding the changes being reverted - just to check, you hit commit and then save, yes? Not the other way around?

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 22nd Jan 2014 at 2:41 AM
That's the problem unfortunately. The wizard doesn't work for that opcode.

And yes, commit then save.
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#4 Old 22nd Jan 2014 at 6:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
That's the problem unfortunately. The wizard doesn't work for that opcode.
And yes, commit then save.

I'm about 75% sure you can just put negative numbers in the relevant fields. Open up your windows calculator, switch to programmer mode, set the radio buttons to "Hex" and "Word", then type your number (ie, -5) and press enter. That should give you four bytes, and the first one should be an 'F'. That's the number you want to use.

(For theoretical reference, most fields I've encountered use 2's complement signed negative numbers unless specifically specified in the name of the opcode)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 23rd Jan 2014 at 11:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Echo
I'm about 75% sure you can just put negative numbers in the relevant fields. Open up your windows calculator, switch to programmer mode, set the radio buttons to "Hex" and "Word", then type your number (ie, -5) and press enter. That should give you four bytes, and the first one should be an 'F'. That's the number you want to use.

(For theoretical reference, most fields I've encountered use 2's complement signed negative numbers unless specifically specified in the name of the opcode)

Thank you! That worked.

Now I just need to make the fun advertising work. Is there something I'm missing that would make it not save? Do I need to put a line in the BHAV?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6 Old 28th Jan 2014 at 11:37 AM
Figured the fun advertising out myself. I was missing some of the numbers.

Thanks again.