Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Part-time Hermit
#101 Old 27th Mar 2006 at 9:30 AM
Generally, there are some objects that are more ideal for cloning than others. I'm working on a list "good cloneable objects", but I'd like to test them all personally before releasing the list, so it's taking some time to get it out .

The "stand-alone clone" means that everything is included in the package itself, mainly, all the textures and material definitions, while clones that are not stand-alone often borrow something from other sources. Say, if you clone a bed, it's usually recommended not to make it stand-alone, so that your bed frame would borrow its bedding from the Colonial Ironwood bed, like all Maxis beds do. Most (I'm not sure if all) bookshelves also borrow their book textures from an external source, but for some reason it doesn't work properly, unlike with beds, and often you might end up with a missing texture for the books. That's why, in that case specifically, it's good to make bookcases stand-alone clones, so that the book texture will be included in the package itself (and also edited if needed).
Advertisement
Test Subject
#102 Old 27th Mar 2006 at 8:38 PM
wow. you are a fountain of knowledge, IB! And I appreciate you sharing it. I had no idea that some items/meshes were better to clone than others. Therefore I am looking forward to this list. I, for one, appreciate how much time is involved, so thanks for doing this! Also, I'd like to say thanks for clearing up the "stand alone" issue. I just assumed that because one tutorial suggested we leave that box unticked, then all clonings should. Shows just what assuming does, so thanks for clearing that one up for me!

ever-so-grateful-padre
Lab Assistant
#103 Old 7th Apr 2006 at 1:38 AM
I saw that no one in their right mind would start with Blender. Heh, fits me perfectly. I'll try this tutorial and remember the check the normals before I finish and put it in the game. Heh, thanks Lethe_S.

NEW! LESS SUCKS SIGNATURE!

COLOR TAGS ACTUALLY REMOVED!
Test Subject
#104 Old 27th Apr 2006 at 11:43 PM
I have a question: Programs like Milkshape, Blender3D, SimPE, JWood's are all free?
Part-time Hermit
#105 Old 28th Apr 2006 at 5:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Zephyro8500
I have a question: Programs like Milkshape, Blender3D, SimPE, JWood's are all free?

Milkshape, Blender and SimPE are all free programs, yes. JWoods is the name of the guy who originally wrote the object tutorial .
Fluffy
retired moderator
Original Poster
#106 Old 28th Apr 2006 at 3:47 PM
Milkshape is shareware,
which means it's free for the first few weeks and is like 20 dollars for the full version (someone correct me)
Blender and SimPE are free, like IgnorantBliss said
Jwoods is indeed not a program, unless he's a very intelligent and extremely nice AI construct...
Part-time Hermit
#107 Old 28th Apr 2006 at 3:49 PM
OK, I don't know what I was thinking when I said Milkshape is free . It must have been too early in the day for me to think straight. Sorry about that. I think currently the price is 25 in both Euros and American dollars. It's not free, but very cheap.
Test Subject
#108 Old 28th Apr 2006 at 10:34 PM
Ok! Thank you very much!
And Objects Workshop is a program?
Part-time Hermit
#109 Old 29th Apr 2006 at 6:06 AM
Object Workshop is a part of SimPE .
Test Subject
#110 Old 29th Apr 2006 at 6:52 PM
Ok thank you!
Test Subject
#111 Old 2nd May 2006 at 6:55 AM
where do u download the actual blender
Fluffy
retired moderator
Original Poster
#112 Old 2nd May 2006 at 3:52 PM
there's a link in the beginning of the tutorial,
the adress is blender3d.org
Test Subject
#113 Old 5th May 2006 at 3:20 PM
I wish i understood wath you all are talking about. I really really want to learn this stuff, but my english is too bad.. I dont understand the "big" words, and then i cant learn.. I have just downloaded SimPe, and all i could find out of that program was how to change sims intrest and stuff.. And how to get Bella..

Why on earth isnt there programs like this with a tutorial in norwegian?.. Everything is always in english.. blah.. But i really mean it, it is to bad. Maby i must go to school again and learn...
Part-time Hermit
#114 Old 5th May 2006 at 4:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Bellamina

Why on earth isnt there programs like this with a tutorial in norwegian?.. Everything is always in english.. blah.. But i really mean it, it is to bad. Maby i must go to school again and learn...

If you can use Milkshape, there is a Norwegian version of JWoods' object tutorial available . If Milkshape is not possible for you, maybe we could contact kenny who translated the Milkshape tutorial and ask if he could translate the Blender version also. There is also a Blender version of JWoods' tutorial, but at the moment that one has not been translated into Norwegian. The tutorials are the same for everything else, but the mesh editing parts are different.
Test Subject
#115 Old 6th May 2006 at 2:41 AM
Since lethe_s seems to know all about blender, i thought i'd ask...

I was wondering if there is a way to assign certian verticies to a group that can be reconized by UV mapper. I know you can assign to groups, but what are the export options you need for them be included in the .obj? Because currently the only way i know of to get this to happen is to do 2 completly different objects in object mode...(which can be annoying if you want to make a table with a glass center and a frame ---trying to get the glass and frame to meet with out overlapping)

And one other question:
Since blender doesent reconize groups the way milkshape does (I.e for a dresser, it all comes in one object, no groups = no animated drawer [from what i can tell...]) can you get them seperated so that you can fix the drawer?
Fluffy
retired moderator
Original Poster
#116 Old 6th May 2006 at 9:03 AM
umm,
not sure if I understand you,
but the new version of Blender does recognize groups (the tutorial in this thread is for a previous version)
and they work pretty much like milkshape groups. a mesh can be made up of different 'objects' in blender, and exported as such, in UV Mapper, you can then sort by group and find them there
refer to post 86 of this thread for the export options that seem to work fine
for a more detailed description of all this, try the blender version of JWoods' tutorial, which I did update for the newest Blender
Test Subject
#117 Old 6th May 2006 at 4:07 PM
I know about ob'ject groups', and was wondering if you could export 'vertex groups'.

I'll go read JWoods' tutorial again
Lab Assistant
#118 Old 7th May 2006 at 10:52 AM
The creation of vertex groups in Blender is explained in the Blender Wiki.

http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/Manual/

The creation of joints & bones (armatures) in Blender plus the relationship to vertex groups is demonstrated in the beginners tutorial

http://mediawiki.blender.org/index....s_Part_II_v2.41

I live vicariously through my Sims. This is a sad reflection on my life and theirs.
Test Subject
#119 Old 7th May 2006 at 4:08 PM
Oh, ok

Thanks!
Test Subject
#120 Old 20th May 2006 at 8:48 AM
how do you get blender? and what do you need for it to work?
Part-time Hermit
#121 Old 20th May 2006 at 11:52 AM
The links and instructions are in the tutorial
Test Subject
#122 Old 2nd Jun 2006 at 9:03 AM
Default is this the....
Sorry for asking this but is this the next step to becoming a game creator being a sims object making dude?
Part-time Hermit
#123 Old 2nd Jun 2006 at 9:18 AM
I'm not sure I understand your question, jovin666. What you want to do next is up to you and what you can handle. If you want to create objects, I suggest you follow one or more of the object making tutorials we have here, starting with simple, non-animated objects, and possibly moving on to more complex meshes and animated objects later on. I don't know what your current skill level is, so it's hard for me to say what's "next" for you .
Test Subject
#124 Old 28th Jun 2006 at 9:21 PM
Lethe, im having trubl downloading. What do i do???
Part-time Hermit
#125 Old 29th Jun 2006 at 6:03 AM
koolken3, are you trying to download the PDF or the DOC version? I can email it to you if you give me your email address .
Page 5 of 9