Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Theorist
#926 Old 13th Aug 2020 at 6:58 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPoSzbB7UH8

Nicknames. Middle Names. Last Names before First.

Though it makes me wonder what game-play function those options will have...

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#927 Old 14th Aug 2020 at 7:19 PM
I think gameplay wise, it could be used for the UI/popups addressing the player.
Between the actual para, it could be a social interaction where a para can request others call them by a different name OR, if they grow closer, they automatically start calling them a different name.

An even deeper gameplay idea, they said they plan to use generated voice overs. A made up language using a voice generator to actually speak the lines instead of hiring voice actors (which could get expensive). In that case, it would be mighty interesting if while most of the words the para speaks is gibberish, they actually DO say names in sentences and conversation?
Mad Poster
#928 Old 14th Aug 2020 at 11:03 PM
Would be sweet if you could change household names at wimp or through administrasion (paying a fee) process. Also, flexibility regarding this should also be applied when moving in and marrying paras, being able to change last names and of short (since it varies between languages) of families related to the couple.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Field Researcher
#929 Old 17th Aug 2020 at 9:08 PM
does anyone know/understand what is behind the trend fueling the making of all these life simulators? aside from Paralives, I see a lot of sims youtubers very recently hyping another life simulation game called "People of the Newbery", this one apparently more on the realism side than Paralives. Is there actually a market big enough of buyers and players to sustain all these games? (there is apparently a third life simulation game coming but I have not yet found out which one people are referring to.)
Theorist
#930 Old 17th Aug 2020 at 11:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by cows
does anyone know/understand what is behind the trend fueling the making of all these life simulators? aside from Paralives, I see a lot of sims youtubers very recently hyping another life simulation game called "People of the Newbery", this one apparently more on the realism side than Paralives. Is there actually a market big enough of buyers and players to sustain all these games? (there is apparently a third life simulation game coming but I have not yet found out which one people are referring to.)

Just looked that up and....yikes....I definitely prefer the stylized art-style of Paralives. It's just...I don't like realistic graphics at all (my personal preference, not a statement on the quality) And that kinda looks like if Bathesda made a Life Sim and some people will definitely love that (just not me) Though I also wonder what the system requirements for that will be...
(Though of course which of these two games will have the better gameplay remains to be seen..)

I think because Sims 4 receives so much criticism, other creators finally are brave enough to try and create alternatives. And if those games really get released that can potentially lead to a lot of positive developments:
1)the Sims series will have competition and that might cause them to put more effort into the games again.
2)We will have more Life Sims to choose from, eventually we might have a situation where everybody gets their "favourite flavour" of life sim.

Mad Poster
#931 Old 18th Aug 2020 at 12:48 AM Last edited by daisylee : 18th Aug 2020 at 1:03 AM.
I know I am in the minority here, but unless the graphics of the Para match the environment this is a no go for me. Right now IMO this looks to me like cartoon figures in a pretty realistic environment. I know this is all still in development but ATM for me there is too much of a disconnect between the characters and what is around them. And so much of this looks like gimmicks to me. I will be curious to hear about actual gameplay. If the gameplay is not appealing it does not matter to me if I can adjust the width of counter or whatever. Will give this the benefit of doubt for now, but will need to see and learn much more before am on this bandwagon.

edit: I just watched the video of the other game and like the characters far more there so far

It will interesting to watch both of these games develop.
Field Researcher
#932 Old 18th Aug 2020 at 2:12 AM Last edited by kirabook : 18th Aug 2020 at 3:26 AM.
I enjoy stylized games/characters so I don't mind the look of the Paras at all. They are tweaking stuff from video to video (sometimes things are outlined, sometimes they aren't). I don't feel much disconnect because the environment isn't extremely realistic to me.

Yeah, there's a new life sim apparently in production. Compare that more realistic setting to Paralives

There's a stark difference. If Seb were in the more realistic setting, sure, he'd probably stick out. Right now I think he fits his environment.

I have more confidence in Paralives than this new game "People of the Newberry" because of its art direction. An indie dev developing a visually realistic life sim to me does not seem feasible. In that way, I can understand why The Sims has not had competition until now. AAA developers have enough trouble making a super realistic linear story game, imagine trying to accomplish that visual style AND complicated AI as an indie dev. I just dunno. The mid poly style Paralives is going with imo makes it more likely the game can be developed and released in a timely manner.

What gives me confidence in an indie project is when the dev seems to put limits on themselves and explain what they feel is feasible and what isn't. Alex launching his project as a low poly life sim (and upgrading it to mid poly once he hired two people) was more convincing that this project that seems like a bunch of Unreal 4 templates at the moment.

I might watch and see how this other game develops, but given the developer is Russian, there will be many restrictions placed on what kind of life you can live (such as LGBT stuff).

As for the market, for sure, I think simmers would love to play more life simulation games. Even the ones that insist they only play and will only ever love The Sims 4? I think those people deep down would also like to play more life simulation games. It's not like the market is saturated with life sims. There's literally only one.

Update: People of Newberry 100% seems like an asset flip. Everything on the account so far is existing assets on the Unreal store. The animals he showed off cost $5. Plus a 2021 release date? I wouldn't trust it.
Instructor
#933 Old 18th Aug 2020 at 9:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by cows

Not sure if this is what you said the third one is, but here's a cute, more pixelated/minimalistic one: https://littlesim.world/

I stumbled on it a few weeks ago, it looks cute and I'm interested in anything that's life sim, but it's not everyone's cup of tea. I loved Stardew Valley, Portia, Sims 1 and such, so I'm not bothered by how it looks but I know some people prefer 3D. At least there's people making these games in lots of different styles and such, instead of being stuck with just what EA makes. There will be more variety and maybe everyone can find something they will be happy playing.
Field Researcher
#934 Old 18th Aug 2020 at 3:40 PM
I recently became a patreon supporter of that game too. I discovered it a few months back and have been keeping an eye on it. Looks super cute.
Field Researcher
#935 Old 18th Aug 2020 at 7:26 PM
between the Newbery and Paralives games, I prefer the look and aesthetics of Paralives. Also apparently, the Newbery game is made by Epic Games... of Fortnite fame? I dunno which company is worse, if EA or Epic tbh

I love the look of Little Sim World! I even had their site bookmarked but sorta completely forgot about that game.

Quote: Originally posted by Orphalesion
I think because Sims 4 receives so much criticism, other creators finally are brave enough to try and create alternatives. And if those games really get released that can potentially lead to a lot of positive developments:
1)the Sims series will have competition and that might cause them to put more effort into the games again.
2)We will have more Life Sims to choose from, eventually we might have a situation where everybody gets their "favourite flavour" of life sim.

agreed. both scenarios are good!
Theorist
#936 Old 19th Aug 2020 at 12:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kirabook
Update: People of Newberry 100% seems like an asset flip. Everything on the account so far is existing assets on the Unreal store. The animals he showed off cost $5. Plus a 2021 release date? I wouldn't trust it.

Makes sense that whole teaser trailer they have just seems off and weird, as Is aid it looks like something from a fallout or walking dead game rather than a life sim. But again, I never wanted my Sims to look "realistic"
And even if that wasn't off putting, a hypothetical restrictions on LGBT themes would be an instant no for me. Plus can you imagine people trying to create CC that would match such a photo realistic artstyle?

As to that Little Sim World game...I respect the work they're putting into it, but it looks just a little bit too simplistic for me. When the first rumors of new, Sims-Like Life Simulations came about I decided or myself that I'd only buy them if they at least had the graphical level of Sims 1 or Planet Coaster(the characters I mean). And that's not quite cutting it for me. But I hope that they succeed regardless :-)

Field Researcher
#937 Old 19th Aug 2020 at 7:38 AM
People of the Newberry, what kind of name is that. I googled and found nothing but real life Newberry town. Anyway, I don't mind asset flip. However from what I saw, you won't be able to build a house since the house itself was bought from unity store (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpf...ature=youtu.be). The facial expression even looks like they suffer from trauma. To summarize the game:

PUBG but without violence. Carry on.
Field Researcher
#938 Old 20th Aug 2020 at 6:55 PM
I enjoy stylized games/characters so I don't mind the look of the Paras at all. They are tweaking stuff from video to video (sometimes things are outlined, sometimes they aren't). I don't feel much disconnect because the environment isn't extremely realistic to me.

Yeah, there's a new life sim apparently in production. Compare that more realistic setting to Paralives

There's a stark difference. If Seb were in the more realistic setting, sure, he'd probably stick out. Right now I think he fits his environment.

I hope the look of the people will grow on me because I see what you mean about him sticking out.

I heard that People of Newberry was a scam.

I love a lot of the ideas on this thread suggested so far particularly these:
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
I do have very specific, and sometimes very mild details I like to see. Like expanded interaction menu on objects? And some dumb stuff like sink pilling with dishes until you direct a Sim to wash them.

If multitask is up for consideration, it would be interesting if Sims (probably flagged for close friends) to communicate distance when in the same room, unless you direct them otherwise look face to face. Imagine one Sim cooking, without having to turn down around or stop chopping onions, talking to the other that is chilling on a couch. Things like that would make interaction immersive AND meaningful. If cars are a thing, please let them have a routing system so they can park neatly in a parking lot. I could go on to make this an idea salad. Oh, computer building skill would look sweet, but of course shouldn't be gimmicky.

A scary-complex thing in coding, not sure if plausible, but a redefined system where switching active household instance would be totally awesome. Idk how that would be possible, especially in conjuction with rotational play in mind to appeal to that player demography.

Then are the details, like Sims putting on their phones on the side table when sleeping.

I have hardly any real complaints about 3...just like the idea of advancements (waiting to see if I will finally get dolphins since we're severely lacking on some good dolphins games tho I kinda doubt it) that will make Paralives feel more immersive than Sims. The only technical complaint that I can think of that I have is basement making. It's so difficult to make one. For starters I don't like the idea that you have to make the basement then the house so if basements are a thing in Paralives, hoping they are more user-friendly to make.
Inventor
#939 Old 20th Aug 2020 at 9:19 PM
THERE'S ANOTHER ONE and it's coming out in 3 weeks (Steam page )

Theorist
#940 Old 20th Aug 2020 at 10:26 PM Last edited by Orphalesion : 21st Aug 2020 at 4:56 PM. Reason: I made a mistake
Eh this "Live the Life" game has a first person perspective and seems you actually "play" a simulated person. That's EA's "Yoursim" stuff taken to the next level. That's the opposite of what I want. Plus, again a Russian game, so here's also the concern that it won't include LGBTQ+ content.
And it seems like this will give you a world to interact with, rather than let you build one, again not something I'm interested in. And again it's a bit too realistic/bland art style for me. Is this an asset flip too?

And what's this dialogue system? Is this gonna be like Harvest Moon/Stardew Valley in that you have a set of pre-defined characters to interact with? If so, then that's another negative aspect for me (I like Stardew Valley, but I wouldn't call it "Sims like")

Mad Poster
#941 Old 21st Aug 2020 at 1:41 AM
I have no interest in a just first person game either. Looks like an easy pass for me.
Field Researcher
#942 Old 21st Aug 2020 at 11:57 PM
Hm, the devs of People of the Newberry are copyright striking videos speaking ill of their game on youtube.
Test Subject
#943 Old 27th Aug 2020 at 3:44 AM
I hope the pathing in Paralives will be up to par. I'm worried that some of the 'jank' that comes with movement in the Sims (like two sims awkwardly shuffling past each other) will be made worse when all the household objects are freely placed. Other than that, it looks fantastic.
Instructor
#944 Old 28th Aug 2020 at 12:05 PM
Looks like EA/Maxis is leaving these small simulation games to those that like normal life for those that want it and going for their big guns "Star Wars." It's a big gamble but lets the little developers find a niche for themselves.
Field Researcher
#945 Old 28th Aug 2020 at 3:03 PM Last edited by kirabook : 29th Aug 2020 at 8:02 AM.
More like EA who holds the only license to develop Star Wars games is cashing out on their investment and using Sims 4 to hype up the release of their actual Star Wars title. While I'm sure the devs had fun creating a pack like this, I doubt it was on their priority list. It was definitely on EA's though.
Instructor
#946 Old 1st Sep 2020 at 12:57 PM
More like EA who holds the only license to develop Star Wars games is cashing out on their investment and using Sims 4 to hype up the release of their actual Star Wars title. While I'm sure the devs had fun creating a pack like this, I doubt it was on their priority list. It was definitely on EA's though.

Well, from what I see of SimGuruNinja's house I think he is rather a fan of Star Wars and he probably enjoyed making the pack enormously. He's got a Millennium Falcon rug! Probably a hint that this pack was coming years ago, as that's how long I saw it.
I'll be buying it and after playing the adventure will completely ignore it and take what I want from it to enhance my own game. It'll come in handy to help with my StrangerVille bunker builds in Oasis Springs.
Lab Assistant
#947 Old 1st Sep 2020 at 1:52 PM Last edited by WaytoomanyUIDs : 1st Sep 2020 at 3:26 PM. Reason: spleing
From the look of it "Live The Life" if its any good will be more "My Summer Car",(which is an awesome game by the way but probably not most simmers cup of tea (also I cant play it any more as first person games have started giving me vertigo and headaches)), than "My Time at Portia"
Theorist
#948 Old 1st Sep 2020 at 7:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by WaytoomanyUIDs
From the look of it "Live The Life" if its any good will be more "My Summer Car",(which is an awesome game by the way but probably not most simmers cup of tea (also I cant play it any more as first person games have started giving me vertigo and headaches)), than "My Time at Portia"

I haven't played My Time at Portia in particular, but even games like that aren't Sims-Like. So even if it was like, to name a similar game I've played, Stardew Valley, it wouldn't be a replacement for Sims.

Field Researcher
#949 Old 4th Sep 2020 at 5:25 PM
It's been a while, I figure posting a list of Paralives confirmed (and confirmed not coming) features
https://paraliveshub.com/wiki/all-features/
Theorist
#950 Old 4th Sep 2020 at 9:12 PM
It's been a while, I figure posting a list of Paralives confirmed (and confirmed not coming) features
https://paraliveshub.com/wiki/all-features/

The only thing I don't like is "no grim reaper" awwww. Wodner how Paras dying will be handled.
But a lot of the other stuff sounds incredibly promising...if they manage to make it all work...

Page 38 of 73