Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Marriage: Last Name Chooser [FIXED 2008-10-26]

by Marhis Posted 11th Mar 2007 at 3:28 PM - Updated 16th Mar 2009 at 12:41 PM by Marhis : Reuploaded BV-FT version

295 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 256 Feedback Posts, 38 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 2 of 12
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 11th Mar 2007 at 6:28 PM
Thank you so much! This is a very useful mod!
Test Subject
#27 Old 11th Mar 2007 at 6:34 PM
Thanks for it and it is a useful mod
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 11th Mar 2007 at 6:41 PM
Any chance of making it so that the last name can be chosen quite some time after the wedding? My "main" Sim got married and I hate the fact that she took the guy's name, I would've wanted to keep hers

(or is there an existing hack for that already?)

Having problems with custom content after installing a new EP? http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=197511 might help :)
Field Researcher
#29 Old 11th Mar 2007 at 7:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by pookele
But whichever Sim is the one who "makes the call to the arch" - in other words, whoever is highlighted when you click the arch and invoke "get married/joined" - that's the Sim whose last name is taken.

So just be careful who you're currently playing when you click the arch.

Why did we need a hack for this?

The most obvious one that I can think of is when marrying townies. Personally, I like having control over my Sims in as many aspects as possible, so I know I'll be using this.

Thanks!
Lab Assistant
#30 Old 11th Mar 2007 at 7:22 PM
Great !! Love it well done !!: MAKE IT FEATURED!!

Alastair :)
Lab Assistant
#31 Old 11th Mar 2007 at 7:26 PM
You could always use sim pe to hyphenate tha name, though the lot would retain the last name chosen.
Top Secret Researcher
#32 Old 11th Mar 2007 at 7:27 PM
Well, I hope you're unlike Pescado in that YOU don't hate being thanked. :-)

This is great; I've been wanting something like this for a long time. My husband and I each have the surnames that we were born with, and I've always hated forcing one sim or the other to give up their name. Thank you!

I've made some mods for The Sims 1 -- yes, The Sims ONE :-) -- which you can find at http://corylea.com/Sims1ModsByCorylea.html
Field Researcher
#33 Old 11th Mar 2007 at 7:31 PM
aww great !! cause I always get trapped by name changes xD
Test Subject
#34 Old 11th Mar 2007 at 8:11 PM
I'm doing my happy dance....
Test Subject
#35 Old 11th Mar 2007 at 8:23 PM
Thank you! I've always wanted this!
Lab Assistant
#36 Old 11th Mar 2007 at 8:49 PM
this is great ! it will save me the trouble of firing up SimPE after i play to make name changes, thank you. i do tend to hyphenate a lot of my newly married sims so that would be an awesome addition to this mod if it were possible.

if you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning
Test Subject
#37 Old 11th Mar 2007 at 9:21 PM
yay, thanks! This is very usefull!

Hi :)
Lab Assistant
#38 Old 11th Mar 2007 at 9:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nerina
Thanks, I hate that someone has to loose their last name when they get married, it makes marriage look like a passage of property to me. All my sims whose name starts with a B will use this :D

B? haha what does that mean? made me kurious

.................................................................................
Sim2 Avatars - Still need some?
http://photobucket.com/albums/c89/gill_granier/
Test Subject
#39 Old 11th Mar 2007 at 9:26 PM
Thanks much. Now I won't have to resort to SimPE to change my Sims' last names.
Lab Assistant
#40 Old 11th Mar 2007 at 9:27 PM
What will happen if the two sims have a kid? Whose name will it take? Will we get a choice?

Curiously enough, the only thing that went through the mind of the bowl of petunias as it fell was Oh no, not again. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams

The Hunger Site - Click once a day for free to give food to developing countries!
Greatest Dad Ever
#41 Old 11th Mar 2007 at 9:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by katgyrl
this is great ! it will save me the trouble of firing up SimPE after i play to make name changes, thank you. i do tend to hyphenate a lot of my newly married sims so that would be an awesome addition to this mod if it were possible.

How exactly do you do that and would i have to do it for all sims in the household ???? So we dont hijack this thread please PM me with your response ...
Forum Resident
#42 Old 11th Mar 2007 at 10:32 PM
This is really close to reality like it is in many countries, I think. Thanks for the great hack!!
hexameter
Test Subject
#43 Old 11th Mar 2007 at 10:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LongTallSally
What will happen if the two sims have a kid? Whose name will it take? Will we get a choice?
Good question. You mean what would happen if both parents kept their own last names, right? I'd kind of assume it'd go with whichever surname is used as the household name.

Either way, this is great. Hard to believe EA didn't do this on their own.

---

tigmomx4: You have to open each individual Sim in PE and change their last name one by one, then change the household name. It's a hassle, but I won't have to do it anymore thanks to Marhis's mod! Woo-hoo!
Field Researcher
#44 Old 11th Mar 2007 at 10:42 PM
Thanks for your great improvement of the game.
Just one question: what lastname will use the children in the case of choose for keeping each one, mother and father, their own born names?
Lab Assistant
#45 Old 11th Mar 2007 at 10:57 PM
This is nothing short of brilliant. You even have the option to have neither name being changed. Outstanding idea.
Lab Assistant
#46 Old 11th Mar 2007 at 11:06 PM
Thanks so much! I'm still afraid of SimPE (I totally nuked a neighborhood with SimPE, very ugly) so the less I have to go about feel inclined to go in there and mess with stuff, the happier I am! XD
Field Researcher
#47 Old 11th Mar 2007 at 11:30 PM
Thanks now my sims can get their names right!!!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#48 Old 11th Mar 2007 at 11:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tigmomx4
This is great ... Although I have a lesbian couple that I just married and was wondering if you could adapt this to make a hyphenated last name ..Meaning combining both last names into one like cheryl smith-jones ?? or if there is a way to do it in SimPE maybe ?

As far as I know, there's no way to manually input a last name, like in the "baby name" dialog, but only to copy someone's already existing last name to another sim. As a matter of fact, that's what my mod will do.

The only way to manually change last names (or family/household names) is in SimPE.

Another very useful tool I may recommend is Christianlov's Last Name Copier: priceless!

I used it for a workaround of that problem in a situation quite similar to yours, so maybe you may try: Create a sim in CAS and name it with the chosen last name (e.g. Bob Smith-Jones); move him in your couple's household, then copy his last name to your sims, with Christianlov's tool. For story purpouse, you may pretend that he's a distant relative, or then change again Bob's last name with the same tool to any other one and move him out, make him a townie, feed him to a cowplant, or just play him as a normal sim .
Lab Assistant
#49 Old 11th Mar 2007 at 11:50 PM
FINALLY. Thanks sooooooooo much!

(()) www.sim2central.moonfruit.com
//\\ Where Sims Are Sims!!
Field Researcher
#50 Old 11th Mar 2007 at 11:51 PM
THANK YOU.

that is all.

Give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Page 2 of 12