Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#251 Old 19th Dec 2009 at 11:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kustirider2
Don't patch your game! I've done it and a couple of other people I know and all of our games have been borked. I'm not gonna risk it anymore.

If we cant patch it, we cant use it D:

Current projects:
  • Creating a decent house
  • Creating an interesting Sim
Advertisement
Test Subject
#252 Old 20th Dec 2009 at 1:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by fluttereyes
Ryu, when you want a terrain paint that isn't on your list, just go to paint then select add layer, that will open up a dialogue box where you just pick the terrain paint you want to use. We have been warned not to use more than 8 as each creates a newlayer and will fill the world files up fast.

The CAW loads up 4 default textures that are based on the type of terrain you chose, e.g lush or desert.

Well that's just the thing, there are terrain paints that aren't currently available for use on custom worlds. If you open up Sunset Valley you'll be able to access preassigned layers with these textures (I'm assuming because the original texture itself gets saved into the world somewhere), but if you wanted to use these textures elsewhere it seems currently that you couldn't because there doesn't seem to be a corresponding texture in the SourceTextures folder path for one to load up. At least I'm not seeing rock_shale_detail.dds, rock_granite_detail.dds or rock_granite_detailB.dds in there.

Seeing as there are different grasses, dirts, and even sand, while there is only 1 rock texture in that folder (where the Sunset Valley world indicates there should be a couple more), I guess I'm going to have to caulk this up as textures missing from being included in the release. Which I imagine isn't too surprising since it is a Beta release afterall.
Eminence Grise
#253 Old 20th Dec 2009 at 5:13 AM
You can add your own paints to CAW, and you can extract the paint textures from the base game with S3PE or another package editor.
Scholar
#254 Old 20th Dec 2009 at 5:19 AM
It whouldnt suprise me if there are missing textures...there are also missing bridge messes. so im sure alot of things are missing.
It turns out my hood crashed and whouldnt load in Edit in Game because one area of road connection wasnt set up properly. go figure. Currently building Com. lots
Scholar
#255 Old 20th Dec 2009 at 8:21 AM
Okay I'm giving up for now. It's crashed twice on me. Once, I got a notice my video driver crashed but recovered. And then I just got some error that said object reference wasn't attached to object or something like that. It's nearly 3 a.m. and I was too tired to note the error properly.

I was working on an island shaped like a cat sillouette. I'm amazed I was able to do that much--figure out how to shape the island, I mean. I was placing roads on the tail and butt of the cat when my game started having crash problems. So far I like the tool and I think I could learn to become competent with it if my parents, in-laws, grandmother, husband, daughter and pets would leave me alone long enough to figure it out. But around the holidays, hah, good luck to me with that.
Page 11 of 11