Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Feb 2020 at 3:26 PM Last edited by lakme : 16th Feb 2020 at 8:01 PM.
Default Fine arts major - any way to include violin skill?
Hi all,

Does anyone know if there's any way to include the violin skill in addition to the guitar skill for the fine arts major, either through NRAAS or other mods?

Also, is it possible to replace the sketchbook with an instrument so it's more of a music major as opposed to an art major? I'm guessing not, but may as well ask as long as I'm posting.

Thanks!

Edit: Apparently the piano skill is already included, so now I'm wondering about violin!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 17th Feb 2020 at 2:15 AM Last edited by igazor : 17th Feb 2020 at 2:45 AM.
The problem with the violin is that it is store content, not from the base game nor an EP, so as an object/skill it gets handled differently from the others. I believe that MissyHissy has been working with store items like this one and the Artisan station for years to find ways to incorporate those skills into various metrics for careers. Not sure if she has progressed onto Uni majors, those might be even more tricky to work with, but we could always ask her here or on her own site.
@missyhissy
Scholar
#3 Old 17th Feb 2020 at 4:33 PM
I would imagine it could be included via tuning. The name for the skill in code is ViolinSkillStore, so I see no reason why that couldn't be added to the Fine Arts degree.
The sketch book might be trickier. I've not found the code responsible for the object tied to the degree but I believe that's more scripting than tuning, which is currently beyond my expertise.

Visit MissyHissy's Job Centre and MissyHissy's Job Centre Forum for additional career help.
Visit MissyHissy's Irish Dance Studio
The Daily Plumbob, a Sims 4 Gameplay blog
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#4 Old 17th Feb 2020 at 6:54 PM
Thanks, @missyhissy! Would you have any information on which tuning file would be modified? Aside from a few Retuner settings I don't have much experience in this area.
Scholar
#5 Old 17th Feb 2020 at 7:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lakme
Thanks, @missyhissy! Would you have any information on which tuning file would be modified? Aside from a few Retuner settings I don't have much experience in this area.

If you've got the CareersAcademics module of the Careers mod, you can edit the XML file in there. If not and you want just that change made, then the file is AcademicDegrees. If you go into the GameplayData in s3pe, you can find the file there. Export to your documents, then open a new file in S3PE and import the file. Make your change, save and put the .package into your mods folder

Visit MissyHissy's Job Centre and MissyHissy's Job Centre Forum for additional career help.
Visit MissyHissy's Irish Dance Studio
The Daily Plumbob, a Sims 4 Gameplay blog
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#6 Old 17th Feb 2020 at 8:31 PM
Awesome, thanks again! One more question for anyone who would know the answer, the XML reads as follows:

Quote:
<SkillsThatGrantXP>StreetArt,0.02; Cooking,0.0053; Painting,0.0125; Nectar, 0.0055; Sculpting,0.0083; Piano,0.005; Guitar,0.005; Drums,0.005; BassGuitar,0.005;

Does anyone know what those decimals refer to? Is that the contribution of the skill to experience? If so, do they have to add up to a certain number?
Mad Poster
#7 Old 17th Feb 2020 at 11:04 PM
Given that the four existing musical instruments all have the exact same value, I would say that these measure the impact that each skill gain can potentially have on academic performance so to begin with use 0.005 also for the violin skill. Not that they have to add up to a specific number, not every Uni student is going to be interested in working on or already have the same sets of skills about them.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#8 Old 17th Feb 2020 at 11:21 PM Last edited by lakme : 17th Feb 2020 at 11:34 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
Given that the four existing musical instruments all have the exact same value, I would say that these measure the impact that each skill gain can potentially have on academic performance so to begin with use 0.005 also for the violin skill. Not that they have to add up to a specific number, not every Uni student is going to be interested in working on or already have the same sets of skills about them.

Thanks, that's what I figured so I did that. The thing is, it's not working. I'm testing it out and she's still having academic performance decay while playing the violin (bass increases performance). Any ideas what I did wrong? Here's the line from the xml.

<SkillsThatGrantXP>StreetArt,0.02; Cooking,0.0053; Painting,0.0125; Nectar, 0.0055; Sculpting,0.0083; Piano,0.005; Guitar,0.005; Drums,0.005; BassGuitar,0.005; ViolinSkillStore,0.005</SkillsThatGrantXP>

I couldn't find where to edit in the Academics module of NRAAS Careers so I just copied the GameData xml and made my own .package file.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 17th Feb 2020 at 11:28 PM
Have you tried putting this new package file into Mods\Overrides? (and clearing caches before the next reload, of course)
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#10 Old 17th Feb 2020 at 11:35 PM
Going to try that now, thanks!

Also, do you think it would be okay to change the decimals so the musical instruments have a higher contribution? I'm going to be playing a game where I'd like the fine arts degree to be more of a music major than an art major.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 17th Feb 2020 at 11:56 PM
I don't see why not if the increases are within reason; note that Street Art has the highest factor listed but it's only 4x that of each musical instrument. Then again, there are four (or five, in your case) musical instruments to choose from and you probably don't want to make the impact on each one too high or else it might take the challenge out of doing well.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#12 Old 18th Feb 2020 at 12:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
I don't see why not if the increases are within reason; note that Street Art has the highest factor listed but it's only 4x that of each musical instrument. Then again, there are four (or five, in your case) musical instruments to choose from and you probably don't want to make the impact on each one too high or else it might take the challenge out of doing well.

Makes sense.

Putting the .package file in Overrides didn't make a difference. Any other suggestions? Maybe the violin is just too borked for this to work?
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#13 Old 18th Feb 2020 at 2:47 PM Last edited by lakme : 19th Feb 2020 at 12:54 AM.
Update: using the hex name for the skill (like SimsMX's career metrics mod does) didn't work either.