Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Feb 2009 at 11:03 PM
Default Official Release Date: June 2, 2009
It's official the release date of The Sims 3 has been delayed till June 2nd.
It has been posted on TheSims3.com
Quote:
EA ANNOUNCES NEW SHIP DATE FOR THE SIMS 3
Highly-Anticipated PC Game from Best-selling PC Franchise Slated to Ship
June 2, 2009

REDWOOD CITY, Calif., February 3, 2009 – Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: ERTS) today announced that The Sims™ 3, the highly-anticipated flagship game from the best-selling PC franchise, The Sims will launch across the PC, Mac, iPhone, iPod Touch and mobile devices summer 2009. The Sims 3 PC will ship to store shelves worldwide starting June 2, 2009.

“The Sims 3 is an incredible game that lets you play with life, create art and show off your creations,” said Ben Bell, Executive Producer, The Sims 3. “In the game, players are inspired by endless creative possibilities like the new Traits and Lifetime Wish features which allow players to create Sims with real personalities and destinies. Players can then take their Sim into town to interact with other Sims in the game and capture the action on video to show off online.”

“The June launch combined with the break-through game the team is building gives us the perfect runway to create awareness for The Sims 3,” said Russell Arons, Vice President of Marketing for EA. “The Sims 3 will be the original IP summer blockbuster of 2009 as we build off the success of the best-selling PC franchise of all time to create awareness with both loyal Sims fans and new players.”

For more information about The Sims 3, please go to www.TheSims3.com. The Sims 3, developed by The Sims Studio, is also in development for Mac, iPhone, iPod Touch and mobile devices. To download artwork, please visit www.info.ea.com.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 3rd Feb 2009 at 11:10 PM
Holy hell, I don't think any of us were expecting the delay to be this bad This really sucks
Mad Poster
#3 Old 3rd Feb 2009 at 11:13 PM
The press release sounds almost as though the release has been delayed simply for marketing purposes. I understand that Eaxis doesn't owe its fanbase anything and is a business looking to make money just like any other, but am I the only thinking that it's just a tad bit inconsiderate to delay a game four months simply for a more profitable release?

Do I dare disturb the universe?
| tumblr | My TS3 Photos |
#4 Old 3rd Feb 2009 at 11:16 PM
Well, the buzz over at the BBS is that it has been delayed to drum up more business:

“The June launch combined with the break-through game the team is building gives us the perfect runway to create awareness for The Sims 3,”

So basically, they want more consumers. Money is all that matters. But I think we all pretty much knew that!

I'm just pissed that this was announced seventeen days before the original release date. That is cutting it mighty fine, and alienating customers.
Forum Resident
#5 Old 3rd Feb 2009 at 11:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Adrianics
Holy hell, I don't think any of us were expecting the delay to be this bad This really sucks

To be honest I was expecting September. So I'm a little less upset sigh just wish I'd have more time to play with it. The summer is so busy for me.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#6 Old 3rd Feb 2009 at 11:21 PM
June doesn't seem too bad, but yes, announcing it only 17 days before it was supposed to be shipped anyway is bad PR and bad business.

Not that anybody will care becuase, as we know, it'll sell like hotcakes.
Test Subject
#7 Old 3rd Feb 2009 at 11:27 PM
Default Icing on the cake
Is it just me, or does it feel like they are just adding a bit of icing to the cake (of dissappointment) when they post a downloadable countdown widget for you to put on your blog, with the stupid delayed date of June 2nd....

Ugh, I feel so angry at EA. And I won't even threaten not to buy it, because of course I will buy the stupid game, later or whatever.... I can't deny the addiction after all.

And all of you are the only people who understand! Try to tell your family members or friends how upsetting it is and they just look at you like you are insane.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 3rd Feb 2009 at 11:31 PM
This whole thing screams "bad PR!" I'm surprised that they worded that entry like that... something that the fans are reading. I can understand them wanting to drum up the sales and trying to expose the game to as many people as possible before the release but did they have to tell us that?! That's something for the bigwig investors, not us.
It's awful that the best explanation they could come up with to the fans is "we wanted to make sure more of you guys hand over your cash."

I still want to game and will get it when it hits the store shelves, but it's really lame how EA went about this.
#9 Old 3rd Feb 2009 at 11:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by libraryrose4
And all of you are the only people who understand! Try to tell your family members or friends how upsetting it is and they just look at you like you are insane.

OH I know!!
#10 Old 3rd Feb 2009 at 11:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nova
This whole thing screams "bad PR!" I'm surprised that they worded that entry like that... something that the fans are reading. I can understand them wanting to drum up the sales and trying to expose the game to as many people as possible before the release but did they have to tell us that?! That's something for the bigwig investors, not us.
It's awful that the best explanation they could come up with to the fans is "we wanted to make sure more of you guys hand over your cash."

Well I believe the conference was called for investors and share holders, hence why it was worded in such a way. No doubt if they had decided to tell us, the fans, it would have been more along the lines of, 'We just want to make a better game for you all!' What BS. We all realise this is a money grabbing exercise.
Forum Resident
#11 Old 3rd Feb 2009 at 11:35 PM
Ha ha not my husband. He understands that this is something I love to do and hearing such news is very upsetting and he comforted me about it and told me I could get everything I don't have (i.e. TSS and a new Ikea because the one I had borked my game).

My mother on the other hand is freakin crazy!!! She is yelling at me because I am her source of info on this and she doesn't get it. (she must seriously be senile, at 48, to not remember that I keep sending her to this forum)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 3rd Feb 2009 at 11:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by acidfairyy
Well I believe the conference was called for investors and share holders, hence why it was worded in such a way. No doubt if they had decided to tell us, the fans, it would have been more along the lines of, 'We just want to make a better game for you all!' What BS. We all realise this is a money grabbing exercise.

Yeah, I just would have thought it would have been better to go the BS route with the fans though. LOL At least it would have sounded better compared to "give us more money!"

Also Amazon.com has already updated the release date on their site. So hopefully there won't be that many confused fans over that issue now.
Field Researcher
#13 Old 3rd Feb 2009 at 11:49 PM
I'm glad that I have a whole forum full of simming buddies (not this forum) whom I can commisserate with. They all understand ... and we're all equally "WTF" ... but we all understand that EA is a big money-grubbing machine. Thankfully, we've all started a founder's challenge with TS2 to keep us occupied.

I can't say that I'm surprised, because I'm not. After the mess with Hellgate London, I've come to expect such things. This game better be made of PLATINUM when it ships. It would have been easier for me to take February 20th off (it being a Friday). Now, with it being released on June 2nd ... a TUESDAY ... I'm just gonna have to take the whole damn week off. I mean ... that just ... sux ... *LOL*
Scholar
#14 Old 4th Feb 2009 at 12:06 AM
The wording is just the "spin" they but on the delay for the investors and the media. The real reason for the delay is EA had all their a$$<!$$ers come for the Creator's Camp, and they all went "WTF??!!eleventyone11! this sucks!" So, EA realised the buggy borked up POS they were planning to release would get the Spore treatment, and they'd loose a ton of customers, not to mention all the bad media attention.

Hopefully, we'll get lucky and get a PLAYABLE game in June.

Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid.
Scholar
#15 Old 4th Feb 2009 at 12:13 AM
Then they BETTER be improving the game and not just let it sit on the shelves for four months. If this game looks the same in June as it does now, I'm gonna be pissed!

Oh Hell, I'm already pissed. That's a fine thing for EA to do to their loyal customers when we practically had the game in our hands.

♦ Animal Lover, Eco Friendly, Loner, Perfectionist, Vegetarian ♦

Sensitivity is strength.
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 4th Feb 2009 at 12:16 AM
Well at-least they added two new posts to the blog, and added the first pics of player created houses.

Bummer... thats a long time from now.
Test Subject
#17 Old 4th Feb 2009 at 12:17 AM
Ohh man why did it have to be that week, i'm going to be stuck in cornwall on holiday when it comes out i'm not going to enjoy my holiday now. . . . But on the up side my birthday is june the 3rd so least i will have some money to buy it
#18 Old 4th Feb 2009 at 12:19 AM
Whoo, that's the week of my birthday! Plus the semester will be over (though hopefully I will be doing an independent study at that time) so I will have more time to play.
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 4th Feb 2009 at 12:19 AM
You can always download a digital copy from www.steam.com or www.direct2drive.com

Oh and look at what else they added in the press release.

Quote: Originally posted by EA Press Release
The Sims will launch across the PC, Mac, iPhone, iPod Touch and mobile devices summer 2009

iPod Touch & iPhone?????? The graphics will suck lol.
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 4th Feb 2009 at 12:19 AM
May I copy and paste my other reply?

"I am sad. I have waited 6 months for this to come out, counting the days. Now when there are a mere 17 days left, and I already have my plans about it, they take it away. Now it is coming out on a tuesday (which sucks) in 4 months. It is close to my birthday but who cares, I'm probably going to have to wait almost a week to play it because of homework and I really wanted to have it for spring break. I'm just very aggravated, especially because I had a really bad day today, this is just the cherry on top.

Edit: Not only that, but it is my WEEK OF FINALS."
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 4th Feb 2009 at 12:25 AM
Looks like they have been having some trouble, maybe this could be a factor in the delay? News update from gamespot.com.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/620405...adlines;title;2

Quote: Originally posted by GameSpot
Publisher posts disappointing holiday quarter, increases job cuts; game delays pull down full-year guidance to $4.2-$4.25 billion.

Electronic Arts may have had one of the most robust lineups of new intellectual property in 2008, but the publisher continues to struggle to turn a dime. Today, the Redwood City, California-based publisher announced third-quarter earnings for the all-important holiday period, and in the words of EA CEO John Riccitiello, the results were "a clear disappointment."

For the October-December quarter, EA posted total net revenues of $1.65 billion, up $151 million from the year-ago period. That figure is substantially tempered by EA's total losses for the period, which grew to a staggering $641 million compared to $33 million from the year prior. As noted by EA, the publisher was heavily weighed down by a goodwill impairment charge of $368 million related to its wireless business as well as a $244 million charge pertaining to deferred tax assets.

"Our holiday quarter came in below our expectations, and we have significantly reduced our financial outlook for fiscal 2009," said Riccitiello in a statement. "We delivered on game quality and innovation in calendar 2008, with 13 games rated 80 or above, more than any third-party publisher. We expect to build on this great-quality record in the year ahead while delivering more profitability."

EA also announced today that it plans to reduce head count beyond its previous 10 percent estimate. EA now expects to cut its workforce by 11 percent, or 1,100 employees, as well as close 12 facilities, "narrow its product portfolio," and eliminate certain other costs. The publisher has already enacted a number of these cuts, with such studios as Skate 2 and Need for Speed developer Black Box and Madden NFL office EA Tiburon both having confirmed layoffs in the past month.

As a result of the grim holiday quarter, EA said that it would once again be lowering its full fiscal-year outlook. For the year ending March 31, EA now expects to pull in between $4.2 billion and $4.25 billion in fiscal 2009, with a loss per share of between $3.29 and $3.56.

In news that would also impact the publisher's lowered forecast, EA said that it would be bumping a trio of games out of fiscal 2009. The Sims 3, which had previously been expected on February 20, is now expected to arrive on June 2. BioWare's Dragon Age: Origins, which had been penciled in for a PC launch before the end of March, is now slated for the back half of 2009. Finally, Godfather II will move beyond its announced February 24 date, though no updated release window was revealed.

Even with the unsettling performance, EA had a number of wins to tout during the quarter. Despite continued pressure by Activision Blizzard, EA claimed the title of top North American publisher for the quarter, capturing a 20 percent share of sales according to data provided by the NPD Group. The publisher also said that MTV Games and Harmonix's Rock Band (which EA distributes through its EA Partners program) was the best-selling cross-platform game in North America during calendar-year 2008, according to NPD.

The publisher's best-selling game for the quarter was the well-rated FIFA 09, which logged global sales of 7.8 million. Need for Speed Undercover was another top performer, selling 5.2 million copies worldwide. That figure is slightly off from Undercover's predecessor, ProStreet, which had sold 5.5 million units during the same period last year. The publisher also provided a disheartening update on EA Mythic's Warhammer Online, saying that the massively multiplayer online role-playing game's subscriber base has dwindled to 300,000 through the end of December. In October, the game boasted more than 750,000 registered users.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 4th Feb 2009 at 12:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AdamMLover
Edit: Not only that, but it is my WEEK OF FINALS."

I'll be in the same situation. I was rather looking forward to the release date being a Friday so I could spend an entire weekend familiarizing myself with the game, unlike the usual Tuesday releases when I have to go back to school the next day. However, now not only will I be in school when TS3 comes out, but I'll be having finals and be vacilating between the two.

Do I dare disturb the universe?
| tumblr | My TS3 Photos |
#23 Old 4th Feb 2009 at 12:28 AM
This doesn't seem surprising. I suppose the TS3 creators should count themselves lucky if they still have a job. And I hope that the other delays mentioned in that article will help people put things in perspective and realize: NO~ TS3 IS NOT SPECIAL. They are not doing this just to break your pink, sparkly hearts. They are doing this because they are a business, and they are loosing major money, because in case you hadn't noticed, we are in the middle of a crisis right now. You getting TS3 right away is hardly that important.
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 4th Feb 2009 at 12:31 AM
Yeah I will be in finals week as well. However its not going to impact me as I am already working extremely hard, with many Honors classes. The only class I need to study for is math.

But I will be taking a flight on the 5th (Friday) to Europe which also sucks since coach seats don't have power adapters (damn them lol).

It also sucks that I ordered a new Sager laptop to go with the game since my main laptop (which I need for class) burned down lol.

Quote: Originally posted by Furude Rika
This doesn't seem surprising. I suppose the TS3 creators should count themselves lucky if they still have a job. And I hope that the other delays mentioned in that article will help people put things in perspective and realize: NO~ TS3 IS NOT SPECIAL. They are not doing this just to break your pink, sparkly hearts. They are doing this because they are a business, and they are loosing major money, because in case you hadn't noticed, we are in the middle of a crisis right now. You getting TS3 right away is hardly that important.

They also delayed Godfather 2 ( damn...
#25 Old 4th Feb 2009 at 12:34 AM
Also, I have to admit that I am really into TS2 because I'm playing the most recent founder challenge on legacy_writers, so I'm just not that bothered, lol! I think I will make it my mission to actually try to get through all 10 generations of a legacy for the first time before TS3 comes out.

For those of you who are bored and who stopped playing TS2 or uninstalled it: install it agian ... get Mansion & Garden stuff if you didn't already because it's pretty cool ... and find a new way to play to keep you entertained. Do an ISBI challenge or something.
Page 1 of 11