Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
#76 Old 13th Mar 2011 at 9:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tangie0906
...which might explain why they seem so wooden and lifeless to me.

That, or it could be the fact that they don't ever look at anything when standing still, or walking. Unlike their sims 2 counterparts.

They add more lifelike animation, and I'll be happy. As it is, I can't play the game anymore because I can't get past the android-like animation.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#77 Old 13th Mar 2011 at 9:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Tempscire
A unifying theme does not automatically exclude sandbox play, just as a mish-mash of random(ish) objects and interactions is not a sure sign the associated gameplay won't be goal-oriented. For all we know there could be wants and goals like to attend 200 parties or collect 5 different costumes as a kid.

I don't think at this point they'll stop doing the whole aspirations thing. And I don't know if I agree entirely that S2 wasn't goal oriented. I distinctly remember my grilled cheese sims wanted to eat 250 grilled cheese sandwiches or something inane like that.

But I think the goal thing IS realistic. Who doesn't have goals in life, big or small?

As for traits... I like that my sim actually has a personality that is further augmented by the game itself.
The thing is, they're realistic, too. We're all limited by our personality traits. I'm artistic, and horrible at math. I'm more than a little neurotic and not athletic at all. Actually, I'd say we're far more limited in real life than in the sims, because even if you hate exercise or sports you can make your sim do it anyways.

And seasons? I'd love them. That'd be realistic, too; I live in a no-weather zone so I'm seriously craving snow in one form or another. It also means I can have a white Christmas. :lovestruc The perpetual spring/summer atmosphere just feels unnatural to me.
Forum Resident
#78 Old 13th Mar 2011 at 9:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LollySims
Oh, and do you guys think Prom will be a rabbit hole? I would love to see the teens all dressed up and dancing together :lovestruc

Well if you look closely at the prom part of the video, you can see the school rabbit hole behind them... But you never know, hopefully it's not a rabbit hole!

The child video recording home videos looks fun too!

But does anybody else notice that if you look close at the house the teen is in at around 0.46, it looks just like the house at 0.12 in the Unleashed trailer? Just thought I would say that.. :P

~ Guysim's Behance Profile ~

"When This baby goes 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious !*@#"
- Doctor Emment Brown A.K.A Doc, Back To The Future
Mad Poster
#79 Old 13th Mar 2011 at 10:02 PM
That is what I find entertaining, making a couch potato do exercise, it is suppose to affect their mood. Making a couch potato have a goal of being in the military is a blast, especially when they are in a bad mood for not succeeding. Well, I find it entertaining.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Eminence Grise
#80 Old 13th Mar 2011 at 10:10 PM
I really don't get the argument that TS2 was more sandboxy than TS3. It was certainly just as goal-ORIENTED: the whole wants thing was one of the main improvements cited over TS1 in the game design, the whole skill system and career systems have always been goal-oriented, and every single EP added a whole new goal system to the game as its major feature. Lifetime wants and grades/graduation in Uni, scored dating/outings in NL, business rankings in OFB, pet career progression in Pets, the badge system in Seasons, the lifetime aspiration meter and hobby enthusiasm in Free Time... etc etc. The whole history of development of TS2 was about adding more and more different kinds of goals.

And in some ways, the goal system was much more "in your face" than it is in TS3: for instance, the party and private school (and later dating/outing) minigames, which don't have an equivalent in TS3, and the OFB retail sales "minigame" too, which was pretty much the whole EP.

The one way in which TS3 goals are more obvious is the opportunity system. But you can now turn opportunities off in options, which wasn't really the case for any of the TS2 goal systems.

I personally like to have a lot of different goal systems, since it diversifies gameplay for me... different sims focus on different things. But whether you're a more "goal-y" or "sandboxy" player, I don't think the argument that TS2 was less goal-oriented stands up. I think some folks who don't like goals have just repressed that part of the game
Instructor
#81 Old 13th Mar 2011 at 10:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by uchuujin
But I think the goal thing IS realistic. Who doesn't have goals in life, big or small?

That is not the point in my view, goal oriented gameplay means the purpose is fulfill those goals.

Sandbox means you just play the game, there is no actual goal players attempt to achieve to "complete" the game.

And no, the "opportunities" in TS3 are not in the slightest realistic as they simply amount to very basic "quests" that give some kind of reward.

Also the player himself can create his own "goals" instead of being told what to do ... I am sorry but this is like "Achievements" in games these days were instead you are told EXACTLY what you "achieved" and how much its "worth" instead of you setting them in your own.

The Sims is not a "game" ... its a sandbox simulator and any attempt to make it a "game" are just missing the point and shown the inability of understanding why the game stand up on their own in the first place.
Forum Resident
#82 Old 13th Mar 2011 at 10:47 PM
Srikandi, I can see where you're coming from, but there is a difference. In the sims 2 all goals are completely user directed, you choose to fulfill a want or fear, you choose to open a business or throw a party. Essentially, you choose your own goals. In the sims 3, things like opportunities are obnoxious because they are sort of forced on you. Sure you can turn them off, but to get certain features you have to use opportunities.

What it comes down to in my mind, is that EA, trying to make the game more interesting, took a lot of control away from the player. You can't even play multiple families in one neighborhood without mods. Speaking of mods, in the beginning they removed support for those as well.

Also, why don't EP's play off each other anymore like how pets could eat snow, and you could open a resturaunt, Jewelry store,etc...

I am not trying to glorify previous sims games, they all had flaws, but the sims 3's gameplay feels so broken that I can't really understand how anyone enjoys it.

Also before you go off saying "Well why don't you play the sims 2 then!" I am actually playing it as I post this thank you.
I intend to stay there and let my The sims 3 discs collect dust until EA gets their act together. Hopefully Generations is that turning point.
Mad Poster
#83 Old 13th Mar 2011 at 10:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
I personally like to have a lot of different goal systems, since it diversifies gameplay for me... different sims focus on different things. But whether you're a more "goal-y" or "sandboxy" player, I don't think the argument that TS2 was less goal-oriented stands up. I think some folks who don't like goals have just repressed that part of the game

Well, I admit I repressed the goal system in both TS2 and TS3 and still found the remaining gameplay more interesting in TS2 than in TS3. Excluding the opportunities in TS3, once you remove the goal oriented aspects like LTWs, careers and promotions, and whatever else is there, TS2 was more fun. Sims had more things to do both at home and on community places and they interracted more with each other. Take for example restaurants. In TS2 you could play them as either the cook, waiter, maitre d', cleaning guy, owner, or client. In TS3 you can only play them as a client or an owner, and even then you only get to look at the building from the outside.
Lab Assistant
#84 Old 13th Mar 2011 at 11:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
I really don't get the argument that TS2 was more sandboxy than TS3. It was certainly just as goal-ORIENTED: the whole wants thing was one of the main improvements cited over TS1 in the game design, the whole skill system and career systems have always been goal-oriented, and every single EP added a whole new goal system to the game as its major feature. Lifetime wants and grades/graduation in Uni, scored dating/outings in NL, business rankings in OFB, pet career progression in Pets, the badge system in Seasons, the lifetime aspiration meter and hobby enthusiasm in Free Time... etc etc. The whole history of development of TS2 was about adding more and more different kinds of goals.

My issue with TS3 is not that there are goals, but that if you don't want to accomplish them, the game gets boring for me. I mean, in Sims 2 you could use motherlode and get no job, slack off, don't have any hobbies/gardens/businesses...and still have fun with the game because there were just so many silly things to do. Pillow fights, DJ-ing, Bowling, Water balloon fights - in this way, I think TS2 was less goal-oriented because the game had more to do in between achieving goals. In TS3, if I just got the promotion I wanted, finished a collection and finished up the tombs (all goal-oriented stuff), I can't make my sim just tickle or goof off with their spouse, slow dance or ice skate (non-goal oriented stuff). I mean, some activities are there, but not as much as there were in TS2.
Field Researcher
#85 Old 13th Mar 2011 at 11:22 PM
Default Dress up
Quote: Originally posted by Robodl95
Hey what about a dress up box? I never use their weird dress-up clothes they constantly give us but if it was an object sort of acting like a toy box and sims changed into their costumes that would be cute.

Maybe the supernatural is witches because the little girl was holding a sparkling wand?

OMG! This brought back memories. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure they did have a 'dress-up' box in the Sims 1. Some of the stuff from the Sims 1 that never made it to the Sims 2 would be fun to have again.
Remember the work 'station' that made potions to turn Sims into clones etc.? The effects only lasted briefly.
Forum Resident
#86 Old 14th Mar 2011 at 12:12 AM Last edited by gobot101 : 14th Mar 2011 at 12:28 AM.
Sims 1 did have a costume box, it came with House Party. It had several different choices as to what you could make everyone on the lot wear. I remember formal wear, swim wear, and western wear. Maybe I need to turn that game back on to see what the other choices were.

ETA: Boy, I miss short loading times even with a load of CC. =]

Anyway, the Costume Trunk had Costumes, Disco, Formalwear, Beachwear, Clubwear, Swimsuits, Togas, and Westernwear.
Lab Assistant
#87 Old 14th Mar 2011 at 12:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by socherish
My issue with TS3 is not that there are goals, but that if you don't want to accomplish them, the game gets boring for me. I mean, in Sims 2 you could use motherlode and get no job, slack off, don't have any hobbies/gardens/businesses...and still have fun with the game because there were just so many silly things to do...
[snip]
...I mean, some activities are there, but not as much as there were in TS2.

I agree with that. There aren't enough leisure time activities; take WA for example. Tomb raiding is awesome, but I do miss the random (also pointless, but cute) stuff, like the pirate ship.

I also have a problem with not being able to manage multiple houses, and the story progression is whacked, but I tend to micromanage, so being forced NOT to is kind of freeing.
For example, I had to prod my sims in S2 to do anything that the personalities I gave them. In S3, the game itself helps to define their personality, so the details I've added are supplements. It makes the game less stressful for me.

@Drakron: I disagree with the idea that opportunities aren't realistic. If you're given the opportunity to, say, write an extra-credit paper for a class, you're doing it to get a better grade, and maybe because you like the subject.

It's the way they present it. They DO make it sound like a quest, and that doesn't fit with the whole point of the sims.
I think we're just missing fun hobbies and pointless activities. Another thing that points to the game being quest-like; they don't give much opportunity to just goof off.

Having traits doesn't quite make up for it... but it's enough for now. They CAN add ice skating or bowling in the future. Generations ought to help with that. I am disappointed we won't be getting weather anytime soon, but family oriented activities will be MUCH appreciated, as opposed to not having my sims go harrowing off on a new adventure. It was getting too confusing.
Forum Resident
#88 Old 14th Mar 2011 at 12:59 AM
They CAN add ice skating or bowling in the future.

YES! Bowling was actually something I was thinking about the other day. I loved sending my sims bowling, and ice skating was cute. I'll really be happy if they add those back. I greatly dislike the store, but there are some features that wouldn't piss me off too much if they went in the store. I'd still rather they be in an EP, but if it means we'll be able to get them, but I'll be happy.
Lab Assistant
#89 Old 14th Mar 2011 at 1:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by gobot101
YES! Bowling was actually something I was thinking about the other day. I loved sending my sims bowling, and ice skating was cute. I'll really be happy if they add those back. I greatly dislike the store, but there are some features that wouldn't piss me off too much if they went in the store. I'd still rather they be in an EP, but if it means we'll be able to get them, but I'll be happy.

Yes, absolutely--one thing I liked about LN was the darts, shuffleboard, and the bubble bar. I spend an absurd amount of time taking pictures of my sims blowing star-shaped bubbles.

It wouldn't take much for them to add cute little things like that. Swimming at the beach, sure, but I imagine adding objects with new interactions is a hell of a lot easier than making lakes/ponds/oceans that you couldn't interact with before swimmable.
Scholar
#90 Old 14th Mar 2011 at 2:16 AM Last edited by 9b8ll : 14th Mar 2011 at 2:38 AM.
Since I saw the Trailer for Generations(and unleashed) it would be great opportunity to add Seasons in the mix since there's a slip an slide object. Finally an actual wedding that should of been in the base game already.

It also would be really nice to have pool tables,diving boards ,Pinball machines, optional Sub-hoods to Travel other worlds, Collections and water slides from TS2 seasons.It would be a great fun Family-oriented EP. I hope it will have less bugs and good game play that offers a re-playable EP more than other previous EP's once it releases.

Edit: I know this is off topic, but I would like to see if EA would throw in a official Butt slider just like a Breast slider from LN at the last minute or in future EP's . (I know We have the one from Jonha)
Forum Resident
#91 Old 14th Mar 2011 at 4:09 AM
Hmm, maybe I'm missing something but how is the trailer not showing the focus of the EP? Stroller, playground equipment, more things for kids and teens to do, prom, bachelor parties, mid-life crisis, proper weddings, more photo-taking and possible video-taking opportunities, not to mention that almost all of the scenes take place in a household and the trailer focuses on one Sim from toddler to elder. The first thing I thought when I saw the first few scenes of the trailer was "Oh, it's a family-themed expansion pack". This reminds me a lot of the old TS2 trailer with the infamous ceiling fans.

I just want more unique interactions, not new labels for the same "chat" or "talk about art/music/cooking/photography/sports" interactions. I hope they bring back the slow dance and also the children dancing with teens/adults interaction as well.
Lab Assistant
#92 Old 14th Mar 2011 at 4:40 AM Last edited by uchuujin : 14th Mar 2011 at 4:40 AM. Reason: typo demons
Quote: Originally posted by 9b8ll
Edit: I know this is off topic, but I would like to see if EA would throw in a official Butt slider just like a Breast slider from LN at the last minute or in future EP's . (I know We have the one from Jonha)

I was totally baffled by this for a second because you were talking about slip n' slides earlier.

I want objects like the baseball/football that are more involved and can be used by more than two people. They did have soccer(sort of) in Free Time...
Lab Assistant
#93 Old 14th Mar 2011 at 6:25 AM
I want objects like the baseball/football that are more involved and can be used by more than two people. They did have soccer(sort of) in Free Time...

Oh, I'd love it if the Sims could play sports for real! In Late Night there's a football field and basketball court (this might be attached to a school, I can't remember), and it'd be nice if they weren't just decorative. Team sports would be great, since there doesn't seem to be many group activities right now.

I believe someone has mentioned it before, but board games would be great activity for families. I'd love if they could play Charades too or even a Pictionary type game...that would be so fun and amusing to watch!
Forum Resident
#94 Old 14th Mar 2011 at 6:30 AM
There was a charades game in The Sims 1 which was always amusing to watch. And if your sim practiced it rather than actually played the game, they gained charisma skill, so it was a nice thing to have even if you never actually had them play.

I also remember Vacation gave us a volleyball net, and you could get a lot of people to play that, it was a great group activity.

I think the people working on Sims 3 should sit down and play Sims 1 and Sims 2 to gather some ideas from those. I don't want straight remakes of those, but some ideas here and there would be nice.
Mad Poster
#95 Old 14th Mar 2011 at 6:49 AM
They should bring back the kicky bag. It was great as a group activity and if there wasn't anything else to do on the lot everyone joined.
Lab Assistant
#96 Old 14th Mar 2011 at 7:41 AM
Am I crazy, or does it sort of look like there's a sandbox in this pic back by the slide?

At first I thought it was terrain paint but it looks a little raised and "lumpy" unless I'm completely looking at it wrong :P

Also, isn't that a new wallpaper/pattern on the wall? Or is that what's meant in the original post as the "wall stencil"?
Forum Resident
#97 Old 14th Mar 2011 at 7:54 AM
It's really hard to tell. It could be, but at the same time I think it may be one of the platforms/stages we got in Late Night (those were in the patch too, right?).

But, looking at that pic, I totally missed when watching the video the cute stuffed dragon in the back, the fact that castle thing is a bookcase, and how bit the princess' scepter thing is.
Lab Assistant
#98 Old 14th Mar 2011 at 8:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by LollySims
Oh, I'd love it if the Sims could play sports for real! In Late Night there's a football field and basketball court (this might be attached to a school, I can't remember), and it'd be nice if they weren't just decorative. Team sports would be great, since there doesn't seem to be many group activities right now.

I believe someone has mentioned it before, but board games would be great activity for families. I'd love if they could play Charades too or even a Pictionary type game...that would be so fun and amusing to watch!

They had board games and a card table in S2, yeah? And Mahjong, too.

I really want the children to be able to play duck duck goose, or cops and robbers. :lovestruc
Alchemist
#99 Old 14th Mar 2011 at 8:53 AM
Is it just me, or does the kid in the background of the pic in LollySim's post look like he's doing the strut some Sims do after woohoo? O.o

I think this EP, if EA does it correctly, could make the game a hell of a lot more interesting, or at least, less empty than it is at the moment when it comes to stuff for the kids and younger to do.
Forum Resident
#100 Old 14th Mar 2011 at 8:54 AM
Sims 2 had Mahjong, Don't Wake the Lama, and poker. If we got games like that again, I think it'd be nice if they weren't attached to a set table, but rather something we could put on any one tile table we wanted, that would help with trying to get them to fit into a room's decor better. And also, if you could move them around with the hand of god, then you could take them out of your sim's inventory, or wherever you were keeping it (say, in one of the chests from World Adventures, or a downloaded version of them. Best things ever =]), place it on like the kitchen table, do a game night, and then the game could go back in storage. That would make it easier for the poorer families to afford. The games wouldn't be expensive then, and they wouldn't have to fit two tables and two sets of dining chairs in their house.

Quote: Originally posted by Beccapixie10
Is it just me, or does the kid in the background of the pic in LollySim's post look like he's doing the strut some Sims do after woohoo? O.o

Haha, yeah, he kinda does.
Page 4 of 73